Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 01:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Samsung Tab 2 7" - Install in BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranxter View Post
Apart from apps, All CM ROMs support changing tracks via volume up/down button. One of handy features no matter if you are lying on a couch listening to music or driving/riding and incidentally one of my favorite features too
yeah but in in-dash car installs the volume rockers will end up behind the fiberglass mold fixed in the dashboard. So unless its a float mount or mounted externally on the dash, those buttons are of no use in a car in this kind of a mod. So people have to depend on on-screen swipes, flicks or steering controls.
Old 11th July 2013, 15:42   #32
BHPian

Thank you for sharing this brilliant idea.
After getting my Note 2, even though family and friends suggested me to sell off my Galaxy Tab (P1000) which came bundled with Map My India.
I was hesitating, thinking of making an ICE out of it. And now, I have the perfect solution right here.
Lucky me that I have the original Samsung Tab dock kit too which I bought in the Initial days.
However, not so lucky on the BMW part. Mine is a humble Logan. And the area atop the AC vents seems to be a good place, even if removable.

I might probably PM you for sharing some more information but that will be only after January next year as I am not in India till December.
Once again, brilliant idea & work.

Last edited by karpusv : 11th July 2013 at 15:43. Reason: Typo correction
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2013, 16:06   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post

yeah but in in-dash car installs the volume rockers will end up behind the fiberglass mold fixed in the dashboard. So unless its a float mount or mounted externally on the dash, those buttons are of no use in a car in this kind of a mod. So people have to depend on on-screen swipes, flicks or steering controls.
Valid point. Worth considering before installation
Old 5th August 2013, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Tab installation is nicely done. Liked the frame build.
Can you share with me the tasker app settings. I am not able to configure auto power on and off in my tab setup.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Tab installation is nicely done. Liked the frame build.
Can you share with me the tasker app settings. I am not able to configure auto power on and off in my tab setup.
Tasker profile Downloaded it off the net and got it working with just too much of difficulty to be honest Not sure if I can export it from the tab itself let me check.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 23:04   #36
BHPian

T

Inspired i did a tablet installation in my Civic, but much simplified. Purpose is to add a device to source the Aux in civic.(It doesnt have a usb port) I used 3M tape to paste the top end of back to dash board. A cloth hanger was cut and later slided to lift the tab a bit. After about 1 month of use the tape is holding the tablet well in place. The biggest advantage is that i have access to all buttons and ports. Tablet used is a Karbonn one. Total cost was under Rs 5000/- Here are few pics to share.

Samsung Tab 2 7" - Install in BMW X1-imag0017.jpg
Samsung Tab 2 7" - Install in BMW X1-imag0018.jpg
Samsung Tab 2 7" - Install in BMW X1-imag0020.jpg
Samsung Tab 2 7" - Install in BMW X1-imag0021.jpg
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:10   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post

Finally managed to get the tasker profile off the tab,better late than never.As per this tasker profile, it should exit apps and go into flight mode after turning the screen off once the charger is disconnected.
tasker-5.zip
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 11:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice Install.
I have a Nexus 7 Rooted . Trying to fit it in my elantra, but the Tab is little wider than the elantra could fit it. Must try to find a way to fit in.
Old 29th March 2014, 15:47   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
Though I'm a fan of the Pioneer AVH and the recent SPH series HUs, the fact they don't have the flexibility of Android based HUs is a huge turn off, at least for a tinkerer like me. I prefer the Parrot Asteroid Smart over the Pio which is a good option for those without budget constraints. Its not Google approved meaning it doesn't have a Play Store but comes with Parrot's own app store but any .apk files of any android app can be copied and executed on this HU. It's as good as fixing an android tablet. Also, you don't have to worry about hooking up backup cameras.
You can configure and control your car's steering wheel knobs using the Joycon EXR Steering control interface. Here is a video of how its done, takes a bit of work because it needs to be configured using a PC.

There are also apps in Play Store with will further ease the accessibility options on a tablet. For instance, I forgot the name but a particular app allows you swipe across the home screen to change tracks and also swipe up or down to lower or increase the volume. It doesn't get easier than I suppose.
It can be connected using a 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA cable. The quality of which is questionable only to your preferred music listening choice. Timur's ROM for the Nexus 7 does have an app which supports rear backup cameras but I don't know how many people have been successful hooking it up to a camera. Most people I've seen across forums are happy using USB cameras.

so yeah, the limitations are fading away one thing at a time since more people are opting to get tabs in their cars. All this is not possible on an iPad or Win 8 tablets, even on jail-broken ones.

Most of the tabs today on Android come with HDMI out ( High end Audio & Video out )

This can be a input device to a amp which has HDMI inputs . This means forget the 2 Audio RCA jack , get a complete digital music out with video
Old 30th March 2014, 13:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Most of the tabs today on Android come with HDMI out ( High end Audio & Video out )

This can be a input device to a amp which has HDMI inputs . This means forget the 2 Audio RCA jack , get a complete digital music out with video
You are right about this. But the thing is none of the amplifiers made for car audio has hdmi inputs , AFAIK. If any amplifiers are made with hdmi inputs , then it opens a new world for car audio . Purely digital will be a pure bliss to listen .
Old 14th April 2014, 01:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
You are right about this. But the thing is none of the amplifiers made for car audio has hdmi inputs , AFAIK. If any amplifiers are made with hdmi inputs , then it opens a new world for car audio . Purely digital will be a pure bliss to listen .
I don’t think an HDMI port is that useful for an car amplifier.

Because you can send the same uncompressed audio signals to the amplifier using an SPDIF ports.

I know tabs and phones doesn’t come with a SPDIF port. But then. they are not ment for ICE.
Old 8th January 2015, 17:39   #42
BHPian

Parrot RNB6 - The new kid in block - Why need Tablet??

Not sure if any one heard this from CES 2015

Parrat RNB6 is the new Kid in block which can support both Android and Airplay.

Seriously considering using it for my next ICE update

Mods : Not able to upload you tube link properly - Please remove it if this is not a proper link

Last edited by Ranga : 8th January 2015 at 17:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks