Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2006, 10:28   #1
BHPian

Hey Guys, Recommendation required for a basic sound system to be installed on my " coming soon" XETA...!

HU Unit- I would prefer the cheapest Kenwood MP3 ..as this will go into my lancer and will install the older KRC-400 in the XETA. But If not kenwood which else can fit in my budget and work with the lancer existing Kenwood setup speakers.

2 Speakers In Dash- But I've seen Indica's having that slot loose all the time so i need fit to match type speakers or Small tweeters.

2 Speakers In Door

2 Speakers In Parcel Tray-Which will fit nicely and not tilt the Tray as typical Indica does...!

Not keen on spending more than 7000 on the entire setup, including installation.

Also need a Ciggrette lighter- How much would that cost
Old 1st June 2006, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wolf..

In one word.. IMPOSSIBLE!! ... At that budget of 7 K you want 6 pairs of speakers + Kenwood HU + non sagging Rear Parcel self + wiring + Install!!

Are you are willing to go extremely local..even then doubt it!

UNLESS of course - you get all this in DAHEJ !! .. LOL

Last edited by kb100 : 1st June 2006 at 10:52.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein
Hey Guys, Recommendation required for a basic sound system to be installed on my " coming soon" XETA...!

HU Unit- I would prefer the cheapest Kenwood MP3 ..as this will go into my lancer and will install the older KRC-400 in the XETA. But If not kenwood which else can fit in my budget and work with the lancer existing Kenwood setup speakers.

2 Speakers In Dash- But I've seen Indica's having that slot loose all the time so i need fit to match type speakers or Small tweeters.

2 Speakers In Door

2 Speakers In Parcel Tray-Which will fit nicely and not tilt the Tray as typical Indica does...!

Not keen on spending more than 7000 on the entire setup, including installation.

Also need a Ciggrette lighter- How much would that cost
plz post in the right thread, first of all.

second, since u r in delhi, i can the answer:

1 HU : get a good local HU from lajpat rai mkt that can play MP3 (3K max - top end) - with remote and whatever sticker that u may want : Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood or even Bose. shop # are 762 and 540 - As far as i know.

2. Ask for "heavy magnet" speakers from the same shop u buy the HU: most probably the guy will give u a pair of 4" (tweeters) for around 100 (for the dash) and a pair of 6.5" for the door for 250. i dont know if that'll fit in the door, so better check out. and yes, dont forget to bargain a lot. from wat i recollect, indica can accomodate 5.25" in the stock location. but yes even a 6.5" can be accomodated. i'll tell u how once u r done with ur shopping.

3. Get a local "wooden" tray from a carpenter for 200.

4. go to a local car accessory dealer and ask for "oval" speakers, he'll give a chinese pioneer for 1200 or genuine sony for 2300. negotiate and he'll install everything for 100 + speaker price (including cables).

5. ciggarete lighter wd cost u 60 including installation, or u can get it done for 50 from the gy who's installing ur system.

so, two options:

Ist : HU (3000) + (tweeters + Speakers (front)) (350) + tray (200) + rear fill (pioneer 1200) + install (100) + lighter (50) = 4900.

IInd : HU (3000) + (tweeters + Speakers (front)) (350) + tray (200) + rear fill (sony 2300) + install (100) + lighter (50) = 6000.

u can add some chinese pioneer tweeters for 200 in either case, that'll give u a good "chik-chik". so, Ist case : 5100 and IInd case : 6200.

given a budget of 7 K....u save in

Ist case : 7000 - 5100 = 1900 (which u can spend like :1600 for 2 bottles of VAT - 69 for party for new system (scotch hai naa.... so 2 bottles) + 120 for tandoori chicken + 100 for soda or pop and misc + 80 marlboro pack).

IInd case : 7000 - 6200 = 800 (which u can spend like : 430 for a bottle for Signature + 200 for butter chicken + 50 for soda and misc + 80 malboro - WOLLA! u even have 40 left! which u can wire me for expert advice!)

either way, dont forget me to call for the party and yes, plz boom responsibly.

Last edited by panky12345 : 1st June 2006 at 12:18.
Old 1st June 2006, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
plz post in the right section, first of all.

second, since u r in delhi, i can the answer:

1 HU : get a good local HU from lajpat rai mkt that can play MP3 (3K max - top end) - with remote and whatever sticker that u may want : Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood or even Bose. shop # are 762 and 540 - As far as i know.

2. Ask for "heavy magnet" speakers from the same shop u buy the HU: most probably the guy will give u a pair of 4" (tweeters) for around 100 (for the dash) and a pair of 6" for the door for 250. i dont know if that'll fit in the door, so better check out. and yes, dont forget to bargain a lot.

3. Get a local "wooden" tray from a carpenter for 200.

4. go to a local car accessory dealer and ask for "oval" speakers, he'll give a chinese pioneer for 1200 or genuine sony for 2300. negotiate and he'll install everything for 100 + speaker price (including cables).

5. ciggarete lighter wd cost u 60 including installation, or u can get it done for 50 from the gy who's installing ur system.

so, two options:

Ist : HU (3000) + (tweeters + Speakers (front)) (350) + tray (200) + rear fill (pioneer 1200) + install (100) + lighter (50) = 4900.

IInd : HU (3000) + (tweeters + Speakers (front)) (350) + tray (200) + rear fill (sony 2300) + install (100) + lighter (50) = 6000.

u can add some chinese pioneer tweeters for 200 in either case, that'll give u a good "chik-chik". so, Ist case : 5100 and IInd case : 6200.
Hey panky great advice!! You seem to be damn thorough about these things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
given a budget of 7 K....u save in

Ist case : 7000 - 5100 = 1900 (which u can spend like :1600 for 2 bottles of VAT - 69 for party for new system + 120 for tandoori chicken + 100 for soda or pop and misc + 80 marlboro pack).

IInd case : 7000 - 6200 = 800 (which u can spend like : 430 for a bottle for Signature + 200 for butter chicken + 50 for soda and misc + 80 malboro - WOLLA! u even have 40 left! which u can wire me for expert advice!)

either way, dont forget me to call for the party
LOL HAHAHAHAHA couldn't stop laughing after reading that!! And lovely suggestions for the party too! Just one thing though maybe you should recommend Blender's Pride instead of Signature better whisky and nearly the same price too!!

P.S. Lovely avatar you got there! One of my favourite brands infact!!! Well now that you mentioned it Vat is pretty good too!

Last edited by iraghava : 1st June 2006 at 12:36.
Old 1st June 2006, 13:40   #5
BHPian

Thanks Panky..! But I'm more of a Vodka guzzler...and Mild Seven Always !

Well 7000 is not a definitive amount..I know Kenwood won't come cheap..so i also asked for some other options..All I know was that ayear back one of the guys back in my college bought a Esteem and He bought a Sony Explod MP3 for 5000 And speaker for 3500 entire setup- so it was around 8500 for him..! Since The HU will go into the Lancer..I need an Orignal System rather than Chinese/Local Ones...!

I basically don't need Tweeters..But if its not much of a cost then Don't mind..But will they go in the Dash ..I would'nt like them displayed...!

Speakers Pioneer or Sony..I need Orignal not chinese as they wear out in the Sunshine around delhi..! So I'm assuming 3000 for them

For the Speaker in Door- If I'm not wrong Pioneer ones are available at Rs.400 or so right..!

Parcel Tray..Since there will be a CNG Tank Underneath...Will the Parcel tray being talked about Flat and Not Tilted...Work..!

I'm contemplating getting the accessories installed at the dealer..considering the Freak Shows of Fire going on in Delhi...Palio/Matiz/NHC/Ikon...All catching fire due to either Central Locking Issue or Electrical Fires as in case of Ikon and Matiz..! But if its a reputed dealer like Music Car..I might just go with it..!

So If I take a Budget of Rs.8000 Will that get me a decent setup-all inclusive...!

Most Importantly- I'm not a Din-chak or a Loud Music person...I like clear sound..and am pretty happy with the I-pod setup I have on the lancer..But since this is a new car..I need to upgrade all together...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 1st June 2006 at 13:54.
Old 1st June 2006, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wolf...

Firstly your Original post mentioned this is for an INDICA XETA... now you are saying lancer...??

If you want HU+6 PAIRS of speakers+ install + wires - as in your original post - for less than 7 or your revised 8k It will STILL be a problem

If you want quality the least you can/should do is Co-axials in the front Door, 6x9 in the rear parcel shelf... PLUS you wanted speakers in the dash location of the Indica.. This will -if you want branded & originals - easily eat up your budget all by itself!...

The cost of the HU + wires + install + a lil extra to top up the speakers will be called for..

All of this is assuming (as all of us have) that your original post holds...

Lastly - WRONG THREAD!!.. We are discussing existing installs here - we are way off topic!

Please start a thread to continue this.. !

Last edited by kb100 : 1st June 2006 at 15:03.
Old 2nd June 2006, 00:31   #7
BHPian

XETA's ICE Setup.

Hey Guys,

Let me clear the confusion..! I'm getting a New XETA shortly, I was intending to Shift My Lancer HU- Kenwood KRC-( Tape) into My XETA and go for a New HU Unit for the Lancer..!

I understand the Rs.7000 is quite less an amount to contemplate a good system...I'm much happier with something quite basic.

So here are the requirements:

Head Unit- MP3 Player with Radio- Which will fit into my Lancer currently on the OEM Kenwood Setup with Kenwood Speakers.

2 Door Speakers- To go into my XETA

2 Back Speakers - To go in the parcel tray on the XETA

2 In-Dash Speakers - To go into my XETA

Over and Apart from this, Will the installation be done using Clips which plug or will it involve cutting of wires or so. I rather pay more for better installation than to risk wire cutting..Any Advice on what Wires are used in installation and Method of Installation.

Parcel Tray- This Wooden one being mentioned, Is it readily available or do i have to get it done from a carpenter...How much will it cost..!

Now I'm not mentioning any Budget..But I'm not very keen on an Expensive ICE...Just Right and In Price.
Old 2nd June 2006, 07:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

wolf dear.... i was serious enough to recommend u ! plz gimme a time till tommorow and i wd answer all of ur concerns. u may plz, in the meantime, list ALL of ur concerns. i wd be more than happy to asist u in the BEST possible manner! Rest i have all my gurus....aka navin, sam and gunman to further exemlify!

we all are here to help fellas to the best of our knowledge!
Old 2nd June 2006, 14:02   #9
BHPian

Wolf, it's okay to want to have basic stuff but don't try to get too economical. You will just end up unhappy. If you dont have or cant spend money immediately, save it up and go for a decent setup later.
Old 2nd June 2006, 15:52   #10
BHPian

dude what ever speakers u take ,try fitting in a 4" at indica's dash location....they sound sweet up there
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:03   #11
Team-BHP Support

Q: Does anyone find a Pio+JBL combo too bright? I ask this because I am unnatually sensitive to anythng that sounds forward and need to calibrate my hearing so that my recomendations make sense to my layman friends (outside TBHP).

What I am saying is that anything I like is found to be msuical but a bit too laid back by most others. So I dont know if the JBL-Pio combo that I find is too bright is really so or is it just my ears.
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Q: Does anyone find a Pio+JBL combo too bright? I ask this because I am unnatually sensitive to anythng that sounds forward and need to calibrate my hearing so that my recomendations make sense to my layman friends (outside TBHP).

What I am saying is that anything I like is found to be msuical but a bit too laid back by most others. So I dont know if the JBL-Pio combo that I find is too bright is really so or is it just my ears.
I have a Pio HU and JBL compos in front (Kicker coaxials for rear fill and no sub yet). The compos are running off the HU amp. I don't find it bright. It did seem like the higher frequencies were pronounced after the install. Fiddling with the HU equalizers solved that.
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I were you, I'd be really worried if someone said the exact converse of your statement. i.e. I would find something very dull and laid back when in reality it was harsh and/ or forward. I shudder to think of the effect of age narrowing down my hearing spectrum.

Pioneers HUs are inherently a bit bright in my opinion. Switch on some 'Loud - High', some 'Eq-Ex' and it's the perfect recipe for in-car torture. I pointed that out in the thread when I first auditioned the P80RS. That really is a big break from the usual fare. I wouldn't call the JBLs the flattest response speakers on the planet either, but they're excellent value for the dough, right? So, I think it should be fair to forgive and forget a few misgivings.

But hang on, maybe I am a bit deaf, because I find speakers (at the same budget as JBL or higher in some cases) of all of the following brands to be bright and/ or tonally off. . . Audiobahn, the new Bostons, Kicker, MTX, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine Type R, MB Quart Discus, Infinity (I think they use the same tweeter as JBL, I could be wrong). And yes, I am a big fan of fabric domes over metal ones and believe that if you can't tame a metal dome, don't use one.

Have you auditioned the Q-series MB Quarts? At that price, I would not overlook the tweeter's exuberance. That is downright robbery.
Old 2nd June 2006, 18:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Some tracks like in Eagles' Hell Freezes Over seem to be a little bright. But that may be due to the recording also. I burnt them at 192Kbps and they sound bright at times. But 128Kbps tracks sound just fine. Just my two cents.

I use Pio 5750, Pio 6100F amp, JBL 426 and 936.
Old 2nd June 2006, 18:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Some tracks like in Eagles' Hell Freezes Over seem to be a little bright. But that may be due to the recording also. I burnt them at 192Kbps and they sound bright at times. But 128Kbps tracks sound just fine. Just my two cents.

I use Pio 5750, Pio 6100F amp, JBL 426 and 936.
Vivek, honestly speaking, I like the sound of the 5750 compared to the 7750, P1Y etc. I think it does sound distinctly mellower than the others mentioned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed