Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2006, 23:55   #1
BHPian

What do I do with a 2 way SONY amp 1 Woofer and 4 speekers.

Hi ,

I have a sony amp(Think it is a XM-502Z) that is powering the Woofer.
The Woofer is a Pioneer 12inch installed in a box and keptr in the boot.

I am not shore if it is connected properly.

The (+) from the Right channel and the (-) from the left channel are connected to the Woofer.

That keeps one (-)from right and one (+)from left unused. Is this the correct way to connect the woofer to the amp . The Front or rear speekers are not connected to the Amp. Is there a way to connect rear/front speekers to the same 2 way AMP.

The head unit on my esteem is a casset player from Kenwood standard on esteem 2001. I use a Casset converter to connect my sony disk man to the head unit.

Need help setting up the amp and the speekers .
I am planing to buy new Rear speekers. (please advise which speekers to buy) And should I also buy a 4 channel Amp.
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

one thing for sure u r extracting full juice from ur amp...........
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Rajnish,

The method of connection used is called BRIDGING. It is where you use the power of both channels to drive one sub.
No, I'm afraid you cannot connect your speekers directly to the same amplifier. If you want to connect 4 speekers through an amplifier, yes i suggest you buy a 4 chanel amplifier.
You will need to buy 4" speekers for the front channel and (uncut/unmodified) 6" rear speekers. There are many good speeker brands. What's your budget for the speekers and the amplifier?
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:26   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the quick responce.

"The method of connection used is called BRIDGING. It is where you use the power of both channels to drive one sub."

So the way my amp is connected is correct ie leaving the Right (-) and Left (+) free/ unused.

My budget for the speekers and Amp is around 8K . I already have new Sony 4" speekers in the front hence will need to replace the rear Speekers as they are old and dont sound good.

Last edited by bhogalrajnish : 3rd June 2006 at 00:31.
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhogalrajnish
"The method of connection used is called BRIDGING. It is where you use the power of both channels to drive one sub."

So the way my amp is connected is correct ie leaving the Right (-) and Left (+) free/ unused.

My budget for the speekers and Amp is around 8K . I already have new Sony 4" speekers in the front hence will need to replace the rear Speekers as they are old and dont sound good.
OK so there is no need to replace the front speekers then.
You can get a nice rear speeker from any good company for about 3 to 3.5K. Buy another sony amp or a pioneer and you are done.
Remember to put the HPF on or the 4" speeker will distort. 4" speekers are not designed for bass. It's best you put all 4 speekers on HPF and cut it at about 70Hz... since you have a sub, your speekers dont really need to give bass.
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:47   #6
BHPian

Last question!!! Not shore what is HPF . Is it the turn screw on the amplifier??
Old 3rd June 2006, 00:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

To be shore - HPF stands for "High Pass Filter"
It's what you use to cut the bass going to the speeker. Yes, sort of a turny screw thing on the amp.
Old 3rd June 2006, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sam, I think the 502 does not come with a high-pass filter. I'm not shore, will have to check.

Like Sam said, it's always a good idea to have speekers running on HPF, more so when the setup involves a sub.

You could also try a tri-mode connection in which the terminals of your amp which are not being used can be used to power the rear speekers and the sub. In this case, be shore to turn off the LPF, which I presume must be 'on' right now on the amp. In tri-mode the rear speekers will play louder. This will also drown the sound of your front speekers. And it's better that way, because who wants to hear a pair of Sony 4" front speekers anyway. So take your car and the speekers to a good installer (Gunbir does a great job for the cost of a night's supply of rubbers) and now I'm just typing nonsense to try and be shore that I'm incorporating as many speekers as possible in this reply.

Sam is wicked. Wicked as it gets.
Old 3rd June 2006, 12:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Gunbir does a great job for the cost of a night's supply of rubbers)
Now while people scratch their heads thinking, 'why does B&T need rubbers at night, oh, he must be writing a lot...' , I have to remind you folks that I am NOT an installer. Car Audio is first a passion, then business and there too our role is limited by concept to that of a Distributor. But since we eat/drink/sleep audio, we are very concerned that the end user gets the best possible sound he has spent his hard earned money on. So we tend to be involved with the final installation and tuning of our products. That DOESNT make us installers.

I dont own/run any shops. I dont install for anyone except myself, and that too isnt often. Anyways I would be a lousy installer cuz I'm lazy... I do however have a lot of ideas and suggestions and once in a while our dealers will try one out. I do know a few good installers though but they are expensive and will charge a flat out installation fee of 5-20% for a job.
Old 3rd June 2006, 16:41   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

But I'm shore gunbir, if you wanted to, you shore could do a good job of fitting speekers, na?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 3rd June 2006 at 16:51.
Old 3rd June 2006, 16:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
But I'm sure gunbir, if you wanted to, you shore could do a good job of fitting speekers, na?
Utter madness. Insanity without boundaries. Haven't seen a better thread on the forum. I am going to die laughing. Please don't plant any white powder in my pockets.
Old 3rd June 2006, 16:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
But I'm sure gunbir, if you wanted to, you shore could do a good job of fitting speekers, na?
Sam I have to correct you here... bolo SHORE... "SURE..." arrey baba SURE nahi SHORE...

Well since you are shorely certain, I have to speek the truth... yes, I am shore I most certainly can fit them speekers in them cars.
Old 3rd June 2006, 16:53   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I have corrected it as you speek the truth. I shore thank you for bringing it to my notice.
Old 3rd June 2006, 17:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

ROFLMAO..... Guys stop taking the poor guy's case it's not like he's not shore about what speekers he's talking about!!!

And Sam damn man you are really wicked! Keep up the great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Utter madness. Insanity without boundaries. Haven't seen a better thread on the forum. I am going to die laughing. Please don't plant any white powder in my pockets.
Couldn't find anything more to say about the thread since B&T has mentioned it very clearly!!

P.S. B&T if you die laughing I think we will plant some white, used rubbers in you pocket!!!

Last edited by iraghava : 3rd June 2006 at 17:18.
Old 3rd June 2006, 21:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Now while people scratch their heads thinking, 'why does B&T need rubbers at night, oh, he must be writing a lot...'
true.....drawing with "pens", and erasing with "rubbers".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks