Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2006, 13:22   #1
BHPian

My SUMO 'ICE' Upgradation........please read:)

hi

before i begin to beg and plead for help and suggestions i always realise its good to break the ice (not literally) and talk about what i already have in my sumo.

by the way guys i am frm bangalore.

now you may ask me why a sumo of all things on this planet and more......but we will surelt discuss that on a different thread for surecoz i have owned two sumo and i know the merits and demerits pretty well.

my sumo ICE consists of:

1. a pioneer HU (frankly dont know the model no:( but it has an OEL display)........super player
2. Blaupunkt compos in the front (the awesome transparent blue ones that came out about a year ago....i think TS series if i am not wrong.
3. a pair of JBL 400watts ovals at the back
4. 12" Pioneer 800watts sub with a normal slant box enclosure
5. a decent set of gold plated taiwanese cables (fake tusnamis i guess, but never had a problem so far)
6. a 555watts sony Xplod 4 ch amp
7. a ipod nano 1GB with a basic chinese FM transmitter that works very well (bought in national market for rs.1250 about a year ago).
all this makes my sumo sound really good......a very orchestral effect of sorts since the space is the sumo is large.as of now i call it crystal clear.
all the above installation was done at AUTOSHOP, koramangala, by the dynamic duo bro's)
i must say they have 'SOUND KNOWLEDGE' and work well on your budget

i would like to upgrade to:

1. a dvd HU with a centralised screen or maybe two head rest screens
2. do i need to drive my sub with a dedicated 2 ch amp since my present set up is bridged.
3. wireless headphones if possible....helps while travelling with driver, just in case of a hilarious movie that might distract my driver's concentration
4.maybe two more speakers on the centre doors....sort of the lightning audio coax's
5.also maybe a change of SUB to a concealed if one thinks its better...i am not sure!

i need suggestion and help from what i can do with the existing, in order to revamp my ICE

guys guys suys please help me this time.........my thread on opel corsa sail modifications have quite a few views but '0' replies, so still brooding over that disappointing thread response.
SO please help

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th June 2006 at 15:58.
Old 5th June 2006, 13:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

1. did not noitce your OPEL Corsa Sail thread. PM me that link and maybe we have have atleast one reply.

2. why add a DVD HU when you can get a FM modulated DVD changer (10 disc) for about 10K from NecVox. Adding 2 5" headrest NecVox screen wouldrun you about 10k more so for about 20K you get a DVD changer and 2 screens and since you are happy with the sound quality of FM modulation the sound should not be a problem

3. a Sony 502 available for 3K will drive your sub

4. wireless headphone for teh car are not cheap. The only ones I liked were the ones from Alpine about 10K for a pair (2 headphones 1 transmitter).
http://www.bestwebbuys.com/electroni...?isrc=e-search
Old 5th June 2006, 13:39   #3
BHPian

now i call this a response..........valuable info and i really never ever thought about fm modulating the dvd....never thought of it as an option..........any powerful antennae i can replace.......?
ho about satellite radio.......does worldspace have that option
more questions.....please bear with me
Old 5th June 2006, 15:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

wordlspace wont work in the car. XM and like does not have service in India yet.
Old 6th June 2006, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
wordlspace wont work in the car. XM and like does not have service in India yet.
before anyone asks why! You need an antenna to be pointed to a certain position and fixed for worldspace.

Basic JVC DVD HU @ 10k
Basic Pio DVD HU @ 16k

So, Navin's idea of changer is teh best.

Sony has some wireless LCD setup and LCDs with headphne out. Check those. Suggest that you dont haev a centralized Screen as it could disturb teh driver. Maybe you can have one but keep it a bit towarsd teh back Or have a screen for teh co-driver,kept at an angle away frn the driver.

Last edited by jkdas : 6th June 2006 at 16:25.
Old 6th June 2006, 17:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why add a DVD HU when you can get a FM modulated DVD changer (10 disc) for about 10K from NecVox.
Wow, is this a universal changer??
Works on any brand of HU?
Old 6th June 2006, 22:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas

Sony has some wireless LCD setup and LCDs with headphne out. Check those. Suggest that you dont haev a centralized Screen as it could disturb teh driver. Maybe you can have one but keep it a bit towarsd teh back Or have a screen for teh co-driver,kept at an angle away frn the driver.
that sounds like a very good idea........guess i should look for something like that.i need a normal antennae that is better than the normal aerial kinds.i once read about the powerful sharkfin antenna which works better that the normal pull up ones.
does anyone know about it?
Old 6th June 2006, 22:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Wow, is this a universal changer??
Works on any brand of HU?
ther!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...d-changer.html
Old 7th June 2006, 10:59   #9
Team-BHP Support

The NecVox is a DVD and VCD changer but given the car envriment I think that 2 ch. is adequate. Most of the stuf we use are VCDs anyway. Given that the soruce is VCD a FM mod is adequate. you see a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. I tried FM mod for my ipod in that car as well as 2 other cars and did nt like the result so switched to a wired setup for the ipod.

Last edited by navin : 7th June 2006 at 11:01.

Most Viewed