Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2006, 20:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

URGENT: MTX or Pioneer?

hi, given the identical ratings....X W @ 2 ohms....for an MTX and Pioneer Amplifier, which one is more reliable and accurate?

This is urgent and somebody plz help!!
Old 6th June 2006, 20:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Please specifiy the models so that we can judge..... without that no comments from my side
Old 6th June 2006, 21:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
hi, given the identical ratings....X W @ 2 ohms....for an MTX and Pioneer Amplifier, which one is more reliable and accurate?

This is urgent and somebody plz help!!
While both may be equally reliable, neither is accurate...
Old 6th June 2006, 21:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
I have not heard the Pioneer amp (..Wow.. must be one of the rare few!).. but I have heard the MTX....

There was this time someone was trying to get me to buy one MTX over a Audison... I heard the MTX... and never went back to that shop!

Last edited by kb100 : 6th June 2006 at 21:20.
Old 6th June 2006, 21:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
He he. That was a bit cold. Brrr.

Some MTX amps are good. Some of them are made next door to our unit in an SEZ in Mumbai, and a friend of mine makes a few others in China. From what she tells me (the lady from China), MTX really squeezes their gonads to consistently produce amps that adhere to their high quality standards. Likewise, Pioneer also makes some really crummy and some really solid amps. I like the amps from the Pioneer SPL series, but for that kind of money I wouldn't want to sport the Pioneer badge in my car. Conclusively, MTX is easily better overall I would feel. But the prices in India are a bit over the top.
Old 6th June 2006, 21:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
There was this time soeone was trying to get me to buy one MTX over a Audison... I heard the MTX... and never went back to that shop!
Kb100, it's not like you hear an MTX amp in a shop and come back realizing that your ears could so easily distinguish that the MTX was absolute trash compared to the Audison. Audison certainly makes better amps than MTX does, but it is not going to be so suddenly apparent. You'd have to do a critical A-B test between the two amps by listening to them for some time with some really good reference material. You must have listened to the amps through some really ordinary speakers and/ or HU etc. to so easily write them off.

With bad program material or bad equipment connected to either amp, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. MTX is not some Sony entry level amp. I'm not a big fan of MTX amps but they're not all that bad!
Old 6th June 2006, 22:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

hey gyz....the amps in question are class D, pioneer 510D and MTX Thunder 4250D. which one?
Old 6th June 2006, 22:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

First of all both the amp are diff here are the specs below. Now which sub u r going to drive with this amp will help in further selecting the one.

But one more thing mtx are highly priced here as suggested buy B&T....

From my side never used a mtx but have never had any problem with a pioneer.........
Old 6th June 2006, 22:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

thanx LBM.... the MTX is an old model that comes with a birth certificate showing 430 W @ 2 ohms and pioneer is 500 W @ 2 ohms. this is the only difference i see in Watts.

anybody else to comment.....navin ji, sam !!!! where r u gyz?
Old 6th June 2006, 22:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Kb100, it's not like you hear an MTX amp in a shop and come back realizing that your ears could so easily distinguish that the MTX was absolute trash compared to the Audison. Audison certainly makes better amps than MTX does, but it is not going to be so suddenly apparent. You'd have to do a critical A-B test between the two amps by listening to them for some time with some really good reference material. You must have listened to the amps through some really ordinary speakers and/ or HU etc. to so easily write them off.

With bad program material or bad equipment connected to either amp, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two. MTX is not some Sony entry level amp. I'm not a big fan of MTX amps but they're not all that bad!
I think what KB100 was saying was he never compared the MTX to the Audison. He simply didnt like the MTX.

And yes, compare a MTX amp to an Audison, in a good system, all else being equal, the Audison WILL sound superior. Any day. But thats for me. Others may find the MTXs raw sound more to their liking.

But thats not what this is about. Panky asked about the Pio vs the MTX. lets just stay on course.

Last edited by gunbir : 6th June 2006 at 22:51.
Old 6th June 2006, 22:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

LBM whats the S/N ratio on the Pioneer amp
Old 6th June 2006, 23:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

gunman its 95db on pioneer
Old 6th June 2006, 23:10   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't write MTX off with such confidence. Some of their electronics are pretty ok.
I think I would have no opinion on this choice. It would be a question of your choice and your budget.
Old 6th June 2006, 23:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Panky u r getting all wrong in one ur seeing the birth sheet and the other the specs of the amp. This is the wrong way to compare products.......
The birth sheet is the actual power output of the amp the manufacture always quote less than that. For eg I got a new alpine v12 545 amp it is rated at 125 X 4 rms at 14.4 volts but the birth sheet says .....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 6th June 2006 at 23:21.
Old 6th June 2006, 23:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble

B&T.. Let me clarify...

I have not heard a Audison till date - and for that matter I have not heard the Tru's, the ID,s the JBLs (except on the demo wall ), nothing other than a Genesis Profile 4 - which I thoght was rather nice..

This was in a DEMO car of a very popular installer in Bangy... He even has done extensive fiberglass works in his car (the boot doors etc are unrecognisable).. He has a pair of focals in the front and he has two very noisy subs in the back...

I did not like the sound one bit! I am sure with proper tuning it will surely sound better, but ON THAT DAY - even the Sony 222 fingering the Xplod 6x9's in my car beat that set up (I am discounting the subs - got him to shut that DHOBI-GHAT down!)

I ran away from that shop because I was shocked at his idea of ideal sound - realising I will never even get him to understand my point of view - let alone suggest ICE for my tastes.

Trust that Clarifies!

Last edited by kb100 : 6th June 2006 at 23:31.

Most Viewed