Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

View Poll Results: How many of you power down your ICE before switching the engine off?
YES - ALWAYS 29 43.28%
NO - NEVER 14 20.90%
SOMETIMES 24 35.82%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2006, 16:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

There's no harm in turning off just the engine and leaving the key in the 'Acc' position without shutting off the system. However, make sure you don't turn the key all the way to the 'Off' position so that the head unit doesn't go off too. If you do this when the system is at a moderate operating level, you could potentially invite trouble.

Like Navin said, it isn't a big deal to play the music system for a while without the engine running if your setup isn't a power hungry monster. How long 'a while' should be, would depend on the total power consumption of the system.

LBM, you rightly shouldn't do it without your engine running unless you're in the mood for a 'Swift pushing' workout.

I listen to my car stereo with the engine running, because if I'm in the car, the engine has to be running irrespective of whether I'm driving or stationary, for the A/c to operate.

Absolutely avoidable to start the car with the music system operating at full blast. Big no-no.
Old 13th June 2006, 17:09   #17
BHPian

I sometimes leave the car audio running when the engine is off at signals. But when I am starting the car I make sure the system, headlights, ac, indicators are turned off.
Old 13th June 2006, 17:22   #18
BHPian

Always turn it off before turning the car off.
Old 13th June 2006, 17:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
I sometimes leave the car audio running when the engine is off at signals. But when I am starting the car I make sure the system, headlights, ac, indicators are turned off.
and the engine is off too.
Old 13th June 2006, 18:21   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Hey those are both great units. How much did you get em for. I assume you control the DVA from the 9835.
GunMan!!! You're the right person GOD blessed with ICEy brains by birth I assume!

BTW, they're not controlled by 9835 and this I had asked in my thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...fo-needed.html

I don't really know why? But Zuhemi did'nt connect it through Ainet it seems. How to do it? Please!! can you guide me?
Old 13th June 2006, 18:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Me too switch off my ac & ICE before switching the engine on & also switch it off before shutting down the engine. But I dont switch off if am gonna be waiting in car, I just switch it to 'acc' mode.
Old 13th June 2006, 22:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

I always put off my ICE b4 shutting down the engine!
Old 14th June 2006, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premdiv
i does this mostly but even if i didnt do so my ICE automatically shuts down and then start automatically during starting. Is this ok and is this functionality available with all the cars??
Premdiv, ofcourse this functionality is available in all ice systems now. The system will obviously shut down once you switch off the ignition as there will be no power supply to the system . It will turn-on the moment the power supply is restored like most electronic appliances & durables.

It's recommended though that one switches-off the ice before switching the car off.
Old 14th June 2006, 13:04   #24

Diesel & petrol engines

My Diesel car - Always off before switching engine goes off; and on after getting engine running.
My Petrol car - both ways
Old 15th June 2006, 13:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlferrari
The system will obviously shut down once you switch off the ignition as there will be no power supply to the system
Not necessarily, one of my friend got a Blaunpunkt HU for his Wagon R & somehow the installer has intalled it in a way that the system still gets power after removing the key.

But yes under normal situation the ICE will shut down with key removed.
Old 15th June 2006, 16:10   #26
BHPian

i always switch off ICE & AC before switching off engine,though occasionally i forget.
Old 16th June 2006, 14:01   #27
BHPian

I have a sequential list which i follow before shutting down the engine

1) Check Wipers (If Rainy)
2) Check and Switch off Indicators, Head Light and Fog Lamp
3) Switch off A/C
4) Switch off ICE

Only after this i shut down the engine.
Old 17th June 2006, 10:58   #28
BHPian

Safety to systems as well

I had read somewhere that the Initial surge current is so high that it could harm the system or AC for that matter. It is preferred to switch off AC, System, wiper motor, all Lights before swiching of the engine.

]
Old 17th June 2006, 14:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar
I had read somewhere that the Initial surge current is so high that it could harm the system or AC for that matter. It is preferred to switch off AC, System, wiper motor, all Lights before swiching of the engine.
There is no surge while switching off the engine. The worrisome part is when you start the engine with things running. It's actually a dip rather than a surge. The surge is what is desired by the starter motor, and when it draws the high current it requires when cranking, the supply to all the other connected electrical accessories dips sharply. This is not very healthy for components that need a stable power supply, like amps, HUs.

It's foolish to leave the AC on while switching off the engine although this is not very damaging. However, by leaving the AC compressor clutch engaged while starting will cause a slow start due to the higher load on the starter motor.
Old 17th June 2006, 14:55   #30
BHPian

After reading comments by fellow TBHPian's i have made a habbit of switching system off before shutting and starting the engine.

Most Viewed