Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2013, 13:11   #1
BHPian

Skoda Fabia Audio: Stuck in SAFE mode?

Dear ICE Gurus,

My nearly 5 year old Fabia has the Dance audio system- factory fitted, which is a very sweet sounding system.Like it.

I had a malfunction of the auto door locking system, where the door open warning lights came on while driving, in-spite of all doors being securely locked.This also caused the roof lamps to come on while driving. The problem also occurred while the vehicle was parked and at standstill.

I analysed the cause to be excessive exposure to the monsoons, when the car was parked in pouring rains for long hours on consecutive days. It could also have due to the car wash guy spraying the doors vigorously during the wash.(The problem of "door open warning" has since disappeared post monsoons.)

On advice from the service centre, I disconnected the battery to avoid a drain out. This resulted in the audio system being locked in the safe mode, when I re connected the battery. Also re set were the clock, and trip meters.

On switching the audio the following message is displayed-"SAFE-BYPASS 09"
The system does have a security code, which the system prompts at random. On entering the code, the system accepts the code and plays, only to go into SAFE mode the next time. The prompting for code does not happen every time. For the past few weeks I have been stuck with the SAFE mode, unable to enter the code and play the system.

I am at a distance of 90 km from the nearest A>S>S., which means spending a whole day for the reset job.The tele advice received from them was not of very great help.

Looking for some DIY advice from t-bhp gurus.
Jagdish
Old 14th November 2013, 15:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Fabia Audio: Stuck in SAFE mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpai View Post
... On advice from the service centre, I disconnected the battery to avoid a drain out. This resulted in the audio system being locked in the safe mode, when I re connected the battery. Also re set were the clock, and trip meters.

On switching the audio the following message is displayed-"SAFE-BYPASS 09"...
I am at a distance of 90 km from the nearest A>S>S., which means spending a whole day for the reset job.The tele advice received from them was not of very great help. ...
What did the A.S.S. tell you to do?

I think the HU just needs to be reset to factory defaults. There would either be a hole through which you poke a thin wire (like paper clip) or some other key / push button combination that will reset the HU to it's as-delivered-from-factory state.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 15:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On switching the audio the following message is displayed-"SAFE-BYPASS 09"
The system does have a security code, which the system prompts at random. On entering the code, the system accepts the code and plays, only to go into SAFE mode the next time.
This is bad news. It looks like your dealer will have flash (reset) the ECU. Normally the car should recognise the stereo and reset itself.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Re: Skoda Fabia Audio: Stuck in SAFE mode?SUGGEST REPLACEMENT

Dear friends ,
Thanks for the suggestions, Navin and Deralte.

Took the car to the A.S.S- Vision Motors , Calicut. According to them, repair of audio head units is beyond their domain. Suggested replacing with new unit @ approx 20K.+.
I have approached after market experts , but they do not seem to have any idea as to the possible cause of my stereo's malfunction. As of today, the set performs at random,opting to play at its time of choosing rather than mine. When it plays, the fm stations get deleted, CD tracks stop mid way and sometimes just going into a coma..

I am now considering a replacement. Had a look at pioneer AVH X2690BT, via the website after a talk with the stereo dealer.Approx 19K plus 1600 INR for the frame to make the fittings perfect for my fabia.Need a BT head unit, touch screen.
Expect some "sound" advice before plonking the money.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

The control module for the locking system sits in the drivers door and is vulnerable to moisture. You might need to replace that

i am not sure how that affected the stereo though.
Old 19th December 2013, 12:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
My nearly 5 year old Fabia has the Dance audio system
I had a malfunction of the auto door locking system, where the door open warning lights came on while driving, in-spite of all doors being securely locked.
I hope you are not entering the 0000 as default code. I haven't ever played with that but as per the manual the 0000 is there only to server as 4 digit blank space. You have to enter the code given along with the manual, there will be a sticker along with VIN number.

Quote:
If you have confirmed a wrongly entered code, you can repeat once again the entire process.
If the code number is entered incorrectly for the second time, the unit will be blocked for approx. one hour. It is only possible to repeat the entry of the safety code after an hour has expired and while the unit is switched on and the ignition key remains in the ignition lock.
The cycle - two attempts, blocked for an hour - furthermore applies.
I didn't get the meaning of "furthermore applies", seems like it keeps adding hours with each failed try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The control module for the locking system sits in the drivers door and is vulnerable to moisture. You might need to replace that

i am not sure how that affected the stereo though.
I tend to believe ajmat, the root cause could be an issue with something else. Please check it thoroughly before going for a new unit.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:01   #7
BHPian

@iSpoke Sir: I have tried the code entry. Its given in the HU manual. The system accepts the code and plays till it is switched off. It goes into safe mode when it is switched on again. To get back into code entry mode, one has to remove the radio fuses and re insert them after a while. Quite cumbersome.
The trick was revealed in a post in briskoda: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic...2#entry3024064

Agree that the skoda English is not perfect at times.Combined with "weird at times german logic".. it becomes an uphill task to understand the contents.

@ Ajmat Sir: I had to do a battery disconnect as explained in my first post. The stereo began its erratic behaviour after the battery reconnect. I guess the stereo goes into safe mode in case of battery disconnect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks