Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 19:58   #1

Nissan Micra - ICE upgrade

Hello Gurus,
I am about to receive the delivery of the Micra CVT in a couple of weeks.
I wanted to upgrade the ICE and have a few doubts:
1) is it a good idea to upgrade all the 4 speakers within their stock locations, add an amplifier and a sub-woofer, but continue with the stock head unit?
2) if I go ahead and change the head unit, will I still be able use the steering mounted controls?
3) if I upgrade the ICE, will this void any kind of warranty?
4) Considering a budget of 40k to 50k, what kind of set up do you recommend?

I genres that I enjoy range from EDM, to ghazals, to popular Bollywood, to Pop, to indian classical both instrumental and vocal.
Automoti-vated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2013, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Nissan Micra - ICE upgrade

Firstly let me congratulate you on the purchase of an automatic Micra. The Micra was already the top city runabout and now with the addition of a CVT box, it's even more so.

I am no ICE guru myself and I believe it will take me a good decade before I could hope to be one.
Anyway, I stumbled upon the thread and I do hope I can atleast steer you in the right path:
I do not believe you will need to change your Head Unit as long as you buy a decent amp. If you do however change the Head Unit, you can get adapters to make the steering mounted controls work easy job.
Now your budget is pretty good so you can look at brands like Polk, Hertz, Focal or Rainbow for the speakers and Rockford Fosgate or JL audio subwoofers. If you decide not to change the Head Unit, then you will also have enough money to buy a good 4 channel amp plus a decent monoblock to drive the sub individually
Remember not to compromise on wiring, damping where needed and quality of installation and you ought to be set.

Cheers and goodluck

Last edited by IshaanIan : 30th November 2013 at 22:07.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 01:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes you can upgrade the hu with a dash kit and steering integration module is availabe which works goods,the budget your considering is quite low to accomodate a desent sq setup.For your genre of music you will need to damp the car as micra will rattle bad after install.

If ICE configured correctly will sound very good in micra.

Ramie

Last edited by ramie2400 : 1st December 2013 at 01:46.
ramie2400 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 09:50   #4
BHPian

The Micra is a pretty good car. Congratulations of your purchase.

For your car, since you listen to multi genres which also include EDM and Bollywood and Rock. Your car needs to have Damping.

What I would suggest would be to get a good :
  1. 4 Channel Amplifier - Digital Designs 4 channel priced around 10k.
  2. A good Subwoofer- A Rainbow or a Infinity would run good.
  3. A pair of components for the front- Rainbow EL Components or Bull Components. The Tweeter location is on the top left panel and would sufficiently fit in a Rainbow tweeter
  4. A pair of coaxials for rear - Could use a pair of Rainbow Co-axials for rear.

Why I suggested this setup is because, DD + Rainbow is generally a good pair to start with. Neither too bright or flat. This setup is also used by SIDINDICA for his Punto. Check his long term ownership thread for the same or PM me for the details

This comes to around 43,000 after which you have suitable funds left for Damping and/or wiring[Preferably Scosche or Bull]. You can also contact Motor Concepts Delhi for competitive price checks as they are generally the lowest and the best, IMHO in Delhi.

Last edited by devilwearsprada : 1st December 2013 at 09:53. Reason: Tweeter Point.
devilwearsprada is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 11:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automoti-vated View Post
1) is it a good idea to upgrade all the 4 speakers within their stock locations, add an amplifier and a sub-woofer, but continue with the stock head unit?
Some specifications on the stock unit would be nice

Quote:
2) if I go ahead and change the head unit, will I still be able use the steering mounted controls?
Some HUs will support steering controls out of the box but some are going to need an adapter. Your installer will probably recommend one if the controls don't work.

Quote:
Most car dealers will straight away tell you that installing after market ICE will kill the warranty but by not splicing any wires and using the right kind of harness, I think you should be in the safe.
tjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 11:17   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats too high a budget. In my opinion you may not need it. May be 20K or so should be good. I would say spend the rest on some good leather seats.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

See replies in bold within your quoted post.

Quote:
Hello Gurus,
I am about to receive the delivery of the Micra CVT in a couple of weeks.
I wanted to upgrade the ICE and have a few doubts:
Almost everyone will advise you to change the stock HU but it is really not necessary unless one is really nuts about the sound.

Quote:
Yes, just get an adaptor compatible with the HU and the OE interface. Any half decent ICE shop will have this.

Quote:
No, as long as you do not cut any wire in the OE harness.

Quote:
O.E. H.U. + hi Lo converter + Amp + front components + sub in a sealed enclosure in 1" MDF.

Get a decent wiring kit, infact there is a Kicker 8 gauge on sale in the classifieds here at a decent price. You could also enquire about flat subs which can be mounted under the front seat.

As to which make to buy, there are multiple choices and the best would be to go down the shop discuss with the seller, audition if possible and then buy. For damping I would recommend Dampmat, this is very good value for money and also Waterguard in lieu of the MDF mounting rings. This guards your speakers against water damage.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2013 at 15:48. Reason: Please do NOT reply within a quote
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 18:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... 1) is it a good idea to upgrade all the 4 speakers within their stock locations, add an amplifier and a sub-woofer, but continue with the stock head unit?
4) Considering a budget of 40k to 50k, what kind of set up do you recommend? ...
* The OE HU in Micra CVT is not bad at all sound-wise. It has BT, Aux-in and USB, but is a bit rudimentary interface-wise. BT audio works well. Change the HU if you can't live with the interface, and you want a touchscreen and richer interface. Since this is a standard 2DIN unit, even a dash kit is not required to put in an after-market HU

* If you are changing the HU, it is not difficult to interface with the steering market controls - after-market adapters are available for the same

* Changing the OE speakers is likely to give you most gain at lowest investment. If you are adding an amp & sub, it will enhance the experience

* Warranty will not be void if you are putting in drop-in replacements. Just ensure that the installer doesn't cut / splice wires in the original harness wires

* Damping the doors would be a good idea, especially the boot hatch if you are putting in a sub

Last edited by DerAlte : 1st December 2013 at 18:36.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 11:57   #9

Re: Nissan Micra - ICE upgrade

Dear IshanIaan, ramie2400, devilwearsprada, tjacob, ampere, khoj & DerAlte,
Thanks a tonne for your replies & inputs!
Am new to team-bhp forum, and pleasantly surprised (and a bit overwhelmed!) by the wishes as well as the specific & helpful responses!
Got the delivery of my car on the 12th Dec and been excited owing my first car!
The stock music system is decent, at best!
I quite like the head unit, though the speakers manage to make even good music sound a bit hollow!

From all your responses, here is what tentatively has formed as a plan in my mind

Stage I
Retain the head unit
Replace the front speakers with good components in stock location
Replace the rear speakers with good co-axials or components in stock location
Put in a good amplifier for all 4 speakers
Replace the stock wiring with good wiring
& Check output.

Stage II
Install a good sub-woofer
Install a good amp for the sub
& Check output

Stage III
Incase it still does not feel up to the mark, consider replacing the head unit

What is your opinion about this plan?

Also, i reside in Mumbai, could you pls recommed a reliable & expert installer, who i could go to, to explore my options?
Automoti-vated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2013, 18:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

The plan sounds good. As for an expert installer, I would recommend Ramie (ramie2400). He should be able to help you out, he is well known in this line of business.

Quote:
What is your opinion about this plan?

Also, i reside in Mumbai, could you pls recommed a reliable & expert installer, who i could go to, to explore my options?
Old 10th September 2019, 10:01   #11
BHPian

Overwhelming responses from everyone but one small request, hope to see more discussion on self installations and instructions towards diy, why always refer to the installer, there is abundant instructions on the net and god we are highly over qualified for the job and damn well far more careful with our own property. As far as I have read in the discussions the steering control does not need a interface and can by connected to the three wires in the console to the aftermarket HU with 3.5mm back, but installer will want to sell a module for it.
Micra has a double din opening of 200mm X 100mm, all HU are 180mm X 100 mm, any suggestions on where to get the fittings to cover the 10mm gap on either side of the aftermarket HU will be very appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:07   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Micra has a double din opening of 200mm X 100mm, all HU are 180mm X 100 mm, any suggestions on where to get the fittings to cover the 10mm gap on either side of the aftermarket HU will be very appreciated.
3D printing can be an option. you would need to measure, design and get the plate prepared. Else, look for the plates in places like eBay and Aliexpress.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:18   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post

Thank you.
Check this: LINK

Search on the similar lines to find for suitable HU fascia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Else, look for the plates in places like eBay and Aliexpress.
Old 10th September 2019, 13:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
3D printing can be an option. you would need to measure, design and get the plate prepared. Else, look for the plates in places like eBay and Aliexpress.
Yes sir, two pieces of plastic is available on aliexpress but was hoping for a local dealer in bangalore or online India as it will take 50 days to arrive from Ali.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks