Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2014, 12:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sony cradle turns Smartphone into an In-car Multimedia System

Sony cradle turns smartphones into in-car multimedia systems

Sony cradle turns Smartphone into an In-car Multimedia System-sony-crad010.jpg

Quote:
Sony has announced the first ever smartphone cradle receiver, allowing multiple brands of smartphones to serve as in-dash touchscreens.

Sony's new XSP-N1BT is the world's first double-DIN Smartphone Cradle Receiver. It features a clamping system that holds a wide range of smartphones securely in the dash. Thus mounted, it becomes your in-car touchscreen for all things multimedia.

Via Sony's App Remote interface, the smartphone's touchscreen controls head-unit functions via Bluetooth (Android devices) or via USB (iPhone). App Remote also facilitates voice operation of both the head unit and the smartphone.

What's more, thanks to its IR remote, the XSP-N1BT also does CD, USB and tuner source functionality even without a smartphone. The IR remote can also be utilized to select apps and head unit sources displayed on the App Remote menu screen.

The smartphone cradle receiver provides a charging capability via a compact USB cable. Sony's own Xperia smartphones charge wirelessly courtesy of a magnetic connector.
Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/car-te...c=rss&attr=all

WOW! This is going to be something special. I think this will be a start to a new revolution of ICE all together.

Well complimented with this too http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...d-os-cars.html

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 12:11   #2
BHPian

re: Sony cradle turns Smartphone into an In-car Multimedia System

Really nice, smart move by Sony as there is a dying need for smartphone compatible in car audio systems. Would love to pick up one as soon as it's launched.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Sony cradle turns Smartphone into an In-car Multimedia System

Really good device. Actually provides just the UI and the system has all other components. Might encourage people to steal it since it works with all devices :(
Old 11th January 2014, 12:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sony cradle turns Smartphone into an In-car Multimedia System

Today's car audio systems have progressed from being just a source of entertainment.

Many OEM dashboards (I hesitate to call then Head Units aka HUs) today provide diagnostics, GPS, and other features not just Entertainment. Much of these systems are on proprietary systems. Sony is going to be hard pressed to integrate all this into their cell-phone or whatever they eventually call this device.

Other companies from Nokia to Intel have all tried to develop a platform that would serve any number of car audio OEMs and that would be configurable by the car manufacturer to suit their marketing requirements as well. So far none have got traction.

That said the Sony product in question is a stand alone device that will compete against 3rd party Car HUs and upgraded OEM systems and also semi-OEM systems like HARMAN's Vehicle Specific Infotainment
http://investor.harman.com/releasede...leaseID=817109

Unless it is priced very, very, competitively why would any person buy a system that does not provide a screen/GUI interface? Today much of in car music is on a chip (or iPod). This device would then have to also provide iPod compatibility.

I see things moving into a different space with "in car entertainment" being part of an "in car infortainment" system which itself is part of a "in-car-dashboard" (including OBDs, GPS, etc..).

Harman is one company that seems to slowly positioning itself into being a major player in this space. They intend to using the Aha platform (see link below) for content and deploy this across their hardware choices be is OEM, Semi-OEM or full blown 3rd party system.
http://www.harman.com/EN-US/Newscent...AhaMobile.aspx

Today with Bluetooth just about any cellphone can transfer calls and their phone list to any HU. I don't see any function the Sony product will provide that an iPhone or Samsung can't via Bluetooth.

At best Sony's product will be a small niche player at worst it might go the way of the JBL 333/555 and Pioneer 149 HUs (these HUs were the first to do away with the CD player).

Last edited by navin : 11th January 2014 at 13:01.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 17:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, well, well! No, this doesn't sound anything revolutionary. It is actually very evolutionary, as it assumes that a conventional HU is present. "Wire replacement +" to coin a phrase. Without a conventional HU, it is unable to do anything. Well, almost, since there would be some way of hooking up audio input of an amp with the output from the phone/cradle, I guess, like when you want to use it in an open vehicle like a 'jeep'.

1.0 Current scenario: If one wants to use their phone - smart or ordinary - what does one do?
(I am deliberately leaving out playing Media files with control from HU - in this case the HU is intelligent and asks for the contents of a file present on the phone, over USB)

1.1 Connect an EP cable to the EP socket (the other end is connected to the Aux-in of the HU)
1.2 If the HU has a BT connection, the phone & HU communicate and set up a link
1.3 If there are steering controls, they work with the HU
1.4 If one wants to play music from the phone, one fires up the media player on the phone and controls media selection & playback at the phone
1.5 If there is Navigation available on phone, voice guidance will work through BT or the EP socket output

2.0 How does one use this cradle? (Ignore the one time setup, as also the smart HU that reads files via USB)

2.1 No need to connect an EP cable - audio playback is via BT!
2.2 If the HU has a BT connection, the phone & HU communicate and set up a link (as before)
2.3 If there are steering controls, they work with the HU (as before)
2.4 If one wants to play music from the phone, one fires up the media player on the phone and controls media selection & playback at the phone (as before)
2.5 If there is Navigation available on phone, voice guidance will work through BT or the EP socket output (as before)

Err ... what am I paying (a not insignificant amount of) money for?

* I don't have to remember to connect / disconnect wires and cables ("Wire replacement") - I just dock the phone [Correction: if I want to use USB, like for iPhones, I still have to connect the dock cable!!! :( ]
* OK, this cradle is definitely more attractive to look at than the 200 buck ones
* I get IR controls for HU functions (replaces the HU's remote) - "Wire replacement +"
* I am not too sure if the HU's functions (for example, configuration or audio tweaking) can be controlled over BT directly - yet to see a model that gives that facility. One still has to use IR for that, and that is going to be as dicey as using those steering mounted IR remotes!

Footnote: I guess if one wants to listen to the radio, one has to use the HU's radio (present in even the diskless models). Can't use the phones radio, since none of them play without the EP cable which acts as the antenna. Of course, if one has an Internet connection one can listen to streaming media broadcasts like Live365 or Dhingana without any hassle!!!
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2014, 18:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

DerAlte and navin have already neatly captured my thoughts. My nearly 2 year old Note I fulfils all mentioned functions in my Cruze LT. Only worthwhile investment is a solid car mount to hold a heavy phone and not vibrate or fall off! I have a Capdase Racer and it is rock-solid.

Calls: Speakerphone pretty powerful on most smartphones
OBD: Torque Pro using BT ELM327 dongle
Music: Google Play Music (MP3s) plus TuneInRadioPro for Net streaming music (using AUX-IN or USB) or good old FM channels
Navigation: Google Maps with offline maps downloaded on the device
DashCam: DailyRoads Voyager
Old 13th January 2014, 21:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Only worthwhile investment is a solid car mount to hold a heavy phone and not vibrate or fall off! I have a Capdase Racer and it is rock-solid.
This is exactly what I have done too. I also got myself a USB charger that fits into the cig lighter point. That takes care of charging the devices.

MaSh
Old 19th June 2014, 12:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking to buy this.
I am using an XAV63BT in the fiesta, and the app remote is quite alright when connected to the deice, although very redundant for me at least.
If the phone is in someone elses hands in the rear, its a good way of switching source, playing songs etc.
My tucson, however, has been blessed by me with a megaaudio BT touchscreen, which doesnt remember dollar hash india tango!
No settings, no stations!

Perfectly functional otherwise.

So i was looking at getting this for 11.5k,hook it up to my 6" mobile, but i would have to buy another 2-3k Rs monitor for my rearview camera.

Does it make sense to go for this?
I know if I wait for 2-3 months though, being sony, this will come down by almost 50% for sure.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Trying a bump here again.
Can anyone tell me if a T2 ultra will fit in this stereo?
Old 15th October 2014, 23:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Trying a bump here again.
Can anyone tell me if a T2 ultra will fit in this stereo?

Hi Mayankk,

T2 Ultra does not fit into this. I am using this player for couple of months. The largest phone which I was able to fit into it was Note 2.

Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 19:02   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post

Hi Mayankk,

T2 Ultra does not fit into this. I am using this player for couple of months. The largest phone which I was able to fit into it was Note 2.

Thanks
So there's no more room on the stereo beyond the note 2?
Tsk. That's disappointing.
Old 16th October 2014, 19:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
So there's no more room on the stereo beyond the note 2?
Tsk. That's disappointing.
Yes, even the NOTE 2 fits very tight. Me too have a T2 ultra. Am planning to work on some DIY stuff to have it mounted. Will keep you updated. The HU is awesome otherwise.

Regards
Karts.
karts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 01:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, even the NOTE 2 fits very tight. Me too have a T2 ultra. Am planning to work on some DIY stuff to have it mounted. Will keep you updated. The HU is awesome otherwise.

Regards
Karts.
Hi karts,

So does note 2 doesn't stay clamped? You said it does, then why look look for alternative ways to mount it?
Old 15th December 2014, 12:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post

Hi karts,

So does note 2 doesn't stay clamped? You said it does, then why look look for alternative ways to mount it?
Not the note. I think he meant the the t2.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mayankk,

Thanks
Quote:
Not the note. I think he meant the the t2.

No he did in fact mention that he was able to fit Note 2. I was wondering if my LG G Pro 2 at 81mm will fit if note 2 at 80mm did in fact fit in the cradle.

Most Viewed