Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 00:57   #1

Hyundai Verna Fluidic - ICE Disaster

Gurus

I had a bad time while trying to upgrade the ICE in my Fluidic Verna

I went to the Lajpat Nagar Car accessories market and tried to research and find out what was the best ICE Upgrade i could get in my budget (25K). After about an hour and visiting 7-8 stores in the market i chose the place where i was getting the best price.

Dealer offered me to install:

1) 2 pairs of 6.5" Infinity reference series coaxial speakers, installed in all 4 doors

2) 1 JBL GT Series 4 Channel Amplifier installed under the front passenger seat

3) JBL 1250W Bass Tube installed in the boot

4) RCA Cables, Hi Low Converter and Amplifier Power Cable all by Connect

The Entire setup was falling in the budget but i asked the dealer that 4 speakers and a base tube would require more then 1 amplifier and he told me that the amplifier is really powerful and that he would mount all 4 speakers on 2 channels and use the other two channels for the base tube. I did not agree in the first place but he convinced me to try it once and if i wasn't satisfied he would add another 2 channel amplifier. I was pretty satisfied with the output.

I used the set up for around 6 months and suddenly one day i start hearing weird noises from the speakers so i turn off the HU power and i was shocked because i could still hear that sound. I went to the dealer the very next day and there was no sound, it was crystal clear sound and i ignored and went ahead. The problem repeated after a month and i the dealer told me that their was a minor issue with the hi low converter and he fixed it. This repeated about 5-6 times and i decided to get it checked at another dealer who was in the same market.

The new dealer asked me to get the Amplifier wiring, RCA lead, and the Hi Low Converter changed. I paid extra for the new Focal PK 8 Amplifier Power Kit.
The problem solved and i used it for a couple of months and i was very happy with the services provided by the new dealer and i got a lot of other accessories on all my cars from the same dealer.

Months later the audio system completely stopped working and i went to get it checked, i found out that the fuse was blown and he did not take a minute to open up a new sealed pack of the Focal PK 8 and replaced my fuse for no extra charge.

A month later i bought the new grand i10 and my family wanted clear and good sound in it without distortion. They do not listen to loud music so i shifted the infinity speakers to the grand and i bought Hertz DIECI Series 6.5" DSK 165 Components for the front doors with tweeters in the stock locations. The rear doors are now fitted with Hertz 6.5" DSX 165 Coaxial speakers. The sound was insane and the it was a very good decision.

This helped me for a couple of days but the same problem repeated and i started to hear the same weird noises again! My dealer took care of the problem and fixed it and it lasted me for another 2 months but 2 weeks back there was a new problem that whenever the HU volume was nearing maximum, the speaker and bass tube power was cut off on a heavy beat or whenever it got really loud and used to resume when the SPL for that particular song was low. (This did not happen overtime, it happened one day all of a sudden). The sound was perfect at lower volume levels though.

Showed my dealer and he reduced the speaker volume from the amplifier so now at the maximum volume level i hear sound that i used to hear at medium level 2 weeks back. Now the problem doesn't come up since the speakers are not running at the optimum level. I was used to good output before and now it doesn't please me anymore.

My concern is that lowering the speaker volume from the amplifier or me using the HU on medium level is the same thing, it did not solve the problem. I am looking for a solution to this problem. I need advise, i have the following things in mind which i feel may solve the problem

1) Get a new 2 channel amplifier to drive the subwoofer and use the 4 channel amp for the speakers

2) Change the HU (as advised by the installer working at my dealer's workshop). He told me that replacing the HU will solve the problem.

Also i was looking for advice on damping my Fluidic Verna. I went through a couple of threads on team bhp and i saw people using yoga mats to damp the cars. I got yoga mats and i want it to be a DIY Job. Is it a good idea to use yoga mats ? Also i need to know how to open the rear parcel of the verna fluidic to damp it myself.

Please help guys and tell me what would be the appropriate move for this.
Old 19th January 2014, 13:19   #2
BHPian

re: Hyundai Verna Fluidic - ICE Disaster

Hi Saurabh, Why don't you seek an advice from some guy from Samara Hyundai showroom which is located within the market from where you are getting all these things?

I have had my experience with a few accessory shops and I don't find their advise reliable. They would suggest you something and then after a few days they would be suggesting you something else for the same thing. It is nothing but money milking technique most car accessory shops try on their customers in a routine practise.

Most of these guys are themselves not clear and they continue with their experiments till such time things start to work fine.

Best Wishes
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 14:45   #3
BHPian

Its nothing but the amp is getting clipped easily as you have connected 4 speakers to the 2 channels. It can damage your tweeters. You should get a good 2 channel amp for the front components and use the existing 4 channel amp's A i/p for the rear and used the B channel for the sub in bridged mode. For the time being disconnect the rear speakers from the amp till you get the new one.
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 23:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Its nothing but the amp is getting clipped easily as you have connected 4 speakers to the 2 channels. It can damage your tweeters. You should get a good 2 channel amp for the front components and use the existing 4 channel amp's A i/p for the rear and used the B channel for the sub in bridged mode. For the time being disconnect the rear speakers from the amp till you get the new one.
Thanks, i will get a new amplifier if thats the case but i am shocked that it was working perfectly for a few months but one fine day there was such a big problem with the system

My dealer advised me to get my HU changed. I hope i don't need to replace the HU because firstly i don't need a new HU and i am not a fan of touch screen or any fancy features. Secondly my car is equipped with steering mounted audio controls and the USB & Aux port is near the gearbox so if i get a new HU, I will not be able to use any of those and plus the fit and finish of the new HU will not be the same as the OEM.

PS - Current Speakers are Hertz DIECI and a 4 channel JBL amp
Any suggestion for a new amp? (Budget: 10K, wiring and RCA included)

Most Viewed