Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 16:27   #16
BHPian

re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

what is the price of the BOSCH unit mentioned here?
Old 31st January 2014, 17:22   #17
BHPian

DIY: RCD 510 Head-Unit upgrade for a VW Vento and Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Thank you vinj,
So are you saying that I should get another bluetooth kit along with rcd510 if I want to retain bluetooth facility?

Also what about the appearance of the name of the contact on the screen issue?

Yes you need to add a Bluetooth kit to retain your bt facility.

I think only the number will show up. Contact names comes up usually when the Bluetooth has phone book facility. And iirc the rcd320 doesn't have phone book display.

Another advantage of the Delphi rcd510 is that certain versions can accept rear view camera while still retaining your parktronic display. These versions are still much cheaper that he Bosch rcd510

Last edited by vinj14 : 31st January 2014 at 17:27.
Old 31st January 2014, 18:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
Great post n:CorE, this is turning out to be a bible for HU upgrades. My say on Delphi build quality was only based on various internet forums reporting failure in CD changers. Additionally, the Bosch unit comes stock in VW Jettas and Passats in India. Therefore, easier to source. I got mine for a throwaway price. To be precise, Rs. 8,000/-. International prices start at $250 onwards for used units. Getting them shipped and custom cleared would be a pain as well.
My Delphi RCD510 with USB/AUX + RVC (HU only) costed me Rs.5,550/- and when you say you got a Bosch for Rs.8,000/- I believe thats the bargain of the century! The price for that unit on Chinese online portals is not less than Rs.12,000/- exclusive shipping, customs & delivery.

And moral, had I known you are trying to set your RCD510 up too, I ended up with an extra Low-line to High-line cable which I called for from China and what Sugesh charged you for it is absolutely laughable to what I got it for. I could have given it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Yes you need to add a Bluetooth kit to retain your bt facility.

I think only the number will show up. Contact names comes up usually when the Bluetooth has phone book facility. And iirc the rcd320 doesn't have phone book display.

Another advantage of the Delphi rcd510 is that certain versions can accept rear view camera while still retaining your parktronic display. These versions are still much cheaper that he Bosch rcd510
Yes! i'd like to add to this my version is the RCD510 USB/AUX/RVC version. There is a separate tab below which helps you switch from RVC to OPS & vice-versa. I just got the RVC version just as a measure and to give me room to add a camera if i need one in the future for all other intents and purposes the OPS is brilliant. You can't do that on the Bosch? I didn't know this.

And about the phonebook showing. Do note, the Delphi/9w2 module operation of bluetooth is even more bare basic than the one in the stock RCD320 of recent VW's (they don't have separate module, its integrated in the system). In that it atleast displays the numbers (not names), tracknames for A2DP. With the 9w2 + RCD510. All it shows is a Bluetooth icon tab which just shows "A2DP Streaming" while the music plays and phonecalls are just omnipresent in all modes, no display whatsoever.

If you want a full telephone experience from your HU. You need the Bosch + 9w7

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 20:18   #19
BHPian

Well the OEM VW unit is the best bet for an audio update IMHO. But what detracts me from going for it is the sheer complexity and numerous parts that are needed (BT module+wiring, mic etc etc). The Philadelphia 835 is a great all in one package, but the UI is terrible and its prone to hanging and cant do phone book to the MFD. What i want is the Kenwood DNX521DAB which does all this in a neat package+HD radio support when we get it. Sadly its not available in India. Trying to source it from EU.
Old 31st January 2014, 20:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work! The Original OEM units are always the best in terms of integration and quality. I'm sure you're enjoying all the features.
Old 1st February 2014, 07:07   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
My Delphi RCD510 with USB/AUX + RVC (HU only) costed me Rs.5,550/- and when you say you got a Bosch for Rs.8,000/- I believe thats the bargain of the century! The price for that unit on Chinese online portals is not less than Rs.12,000/- exclusive shipping, customs & delivery.
n:CorE, you should share your seller details here. You got it for free!

Quote:
And moral, had I known you are trying to set your RCD510 up too, I ended up with an extra Low-line to High-line cable which I called for from China and what Sugesh charged you for it is absolutely laughable to what I got it for. I could have given it to you.
Feel like crying considering that I paid about Rs. 4,500/- for a harness that I could have gotten for free or $30-35 tops! Check these ebay links:

- Link for low line to high line converter

- Antenna adapter

I found a diagram to wire up the BT unit and AUX:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-wiring.jpg

Within Delphi itself there are 3-4 different models. Be careful what you choose. I had saved this from some ebay sellers description page:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-delphi.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st February 2014 at 07:09.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:47   #22
Team-BHP Support

I have had some good success with the wiring. Visited VW after sales yesterday and went through the entire wiring from the climate control unit to the BCM. CAN+ or CAN- is not how they refer to it. They call it CAN high and CAN low. The Orange cable with Black strip is CAN high while the thinner Orange wire with a light Brown strip is CAN low.

We'll be taking the car to the VW after sales to get it wired up because the enthusiastic service guy said we could crimp the cable into the existing plug instead of splicing the wire. Bingo!
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:59   #23
BHPian

Great. Would be nice if you take some pics and upload.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:33   #24
BHPian

Guys any idea about wiring details for Polo Comfortline 1.2P.

It came with RCD220. I have got it removed and installed Mapmyindia AVNR from volkswagen showroom itself.

Now I plan to get installed Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835, would there be any compatibility issues with the same.

I have even asked this question from Blaupunkt facebook but no revert and have posted queries related to CAN on some threads in this forum as well but no avail.

Any support is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Well the OEM VW unit is the best bet for an audio update IMHO. But what detracts me from going for it is the sheer complexity and numerous parts that are needed (BT module+wiring, mic etc etc). The Philadelphia 835 is a great all in one package, but the UI is terrible and its prone to hanging and cant do phone book to the MFD. What i want is the Kenwood DNX521DAB which does all this in a neat package+HD radio support when we get it. Sadly its not available in India. Trying to source it from EU.
do update on DNX521DAB even I am interested in the unit. What about local maps, can they be loaded.

Just checked the video on http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk...r/vw/DNX521DAB

interface appears very slow to respond.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th February 2014 at 11:58. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
Old 8th February 2014, 21:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Great. Would be nice if you take some pics and upload.
I had some partial success in getting the units wired up. Couldn't dare to splice and cut or crimp the wires. Therefore, this project no longer remains DIY. I had visited a very friendly workshop manager at our local VW service who was kind enough to go through documentation available from the company. We confirmed that the two Orange wires ending up on the climatronic control socket were CAN+ (high) - Orange & Black wire and CAN- (low) - Orange & Brown wire.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-climatronic-connector.jpg

He was enthusiastic and asked me to get the car down today. He was excited and got down to doing the install himself. I was thoroughly impressed by his professionalism and enthusiasm.

To start off, all trims were removed. This includes, removing the glove box, cabin light, motion sensor module, entire B-pillar trim, driver side sun visor, headunit, climate control module and the cup holder trim. That's how it looked after we removed most of the items:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-all-trims-removed.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-cabin-light-removed.jpg

There was a very nice and thick damping sheet right behind the glove compartment. These are small things that add up to the reduced NVH levels inside the cabin:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-damping-behind-glove-box.jpg

Now, to install the Bluetooth module, the appropriate (stock) location is under the driver seat. The cabin light has a large Black trim. The far ends are plastic bits that can be cut out to fit the microphone in. We removed the driver side plastic bit:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-cabin-light-blank-removed.jpg

Removed bit:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-cabin-light-removed-blank-part.jpg

Push the microphone in the slot and you are set:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-mic-installed-long-shot.jpg

Closeup of the mic:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-mic-installed-closeup.jpg

Thereafter, the most professional and pain staking bit came into picture. He cut out the CAN high and CAN low from the climate control socket. The wires that came on the headunit harness were long enough, so he trimmed them out. Then, a nice shrink wrap crimp was used and the incoming connection was crimped with the wires from the HU and onward to the climate control module socket. Additionally, the trimmed down pieces of CAN cables from the HU were used to branch out an extra set of connection for future use if required. What floored me was the set of tools used to carry out the connections. It has to be seen to be believed. For someone used to a local ICE installer, this was a breath of fresh air indeed:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-connections-crimped.jpg

Extra set of CAN wires were taped and left in the harness:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-can-paralled-wires-future.jpg

I haven't yet taken all pictures of the install but I will in a few days to explain how things are laid out. To summarize, the bluetooth module is placed under the driver seat. The harness was routed from next to the gear stick console onto the HU. The power and ground cables were similarly crimped into the incoming harness for the HU. Be careful, there are two power cables on the harness, one for direct power from the battery and one via the ignition switch. Make sure you use the one from the ignition switch or else there are chances of battery drain. The wire is Brown & Black on the harness:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-power-crimp-bluetooth-power.jpg

Similarly, earthing cables were crimped in for the Bluetooth as well as the MDI kit:

The MDI kit is a neat fit into the lowest side of the glove compartment. A small hole was drilled on the back of the glove compartment to get the wiring harness in. Another small hole was used to press fit the MDI kit which has a 1" stub sticking out on the rear. The finish is decent. I'll get pictures when I get a chance.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-glove-box-back.jpg

Net result, all connections are spot on. The HU now turns on and off with the ignition. Earlier it had to be manually turned off. The Bluetooth and MDI kit need to be enabled using VCDS. Till then they cannot be used. We tried using the VAS available at the workshop but it is too complicated to use. I'll wait until our VCDS cable arrives to enable both modules. There were a list of errors generated due to unplugging and plug back of various connectors. But, those were cleared and scanned again for errors. There were no errors except for the one showing up for an installed module without code, which is the Bluetooth module.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th February 2014 at 08:58.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 20:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
My Bluetooth module (9w2) although connected isn't functioning yet. I have no idea how to wire those up either, I called for the complete harness from china and it just came with two ends, one behind the HU and one behind the module, with a middle bit sticking out for the Microphone. Also I believe it requires to be coded via VCDS Apparently the "77-Telephone" in long coding needs to be activated and I found a guide online on how to go about it. Do let me know if you need that guide. Me and akshay1234 are going to be doing the coding in my car as soon as he can find the time.
Hello, Can you please send me the guide. I am in process of installing the 9W2 and need this.
thanks.

You can PM me or mail me the guide at shardeep@gmail.com

Also you mentioned " Now, to install the Bluetooth module, the appropriate (stock) location is under the driver seat. " do we have a slot under the seat like in EU VW? do you have a pic of driver side install of the BT module?

Last edited by newtonMeter : 27th February 2014 at 20:23.
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:18   #27
BHPian

Hey guys, can someone please help me installing an RCD 510 in a Jetta Comfortline. I need Bluetooth and USB with navigation. It comes stock with an RCD 310, so would I need any adaptors and as the car doesn't have climate control, would I need to make some any difficult modifications? Or I can just give it to VW and they can install it professionally.
Old 18th May 2014, 14:01   #28
BHPian

Hi all,

does anyone know the current price for RCD 510 (Delphi and Bosch), that could be bought/shipped to India? Vagtune.in quotes 29K for the Delphi model whereas this thread has experiences written where people bought it for 6K.
http://www.vagtune.in/index.php/volk...display-detail

I am in Germany and the Delphi model costs here around 16K and the used Bosch model around 36K. Do you think it is worth getting it from here for my brother in India?

Thanks and regards,
Old 19th May 2014, 09:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hi all,

does anyone know the current price for RCD 510 (Delphi and Bosch), that could be bought/shipped to India? Vagtune.in quotes 29K for the Delphi model whereas this thread has experiences written where people bought it for 6K.
http://www.vagtune.in/index.php/volk...display-detail

I am in Germany and the Delphi model costs here around 16K and the used Bosch model around 36K. Do you think it is worth getting it from here for my brother in India?

Thanks and regards,
Hi Nirmal, You can get the RCD 510 Delphi make in Ebay.com / Aliexpress.com from chinese sellers. You can chat with the seller and ask them for 9W2 bluetooth interface module and also a new interior cabin light with a slot of mic alongside. You can negotiate and the combined cost of all the 3 and the shipping will not be 29K.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...20140518200229

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Detai...604894001.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/B5-pu...698507826.html
Old 1st June 2014, 18:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
My Bluetooth module (9w2) although connected isn't functioning yet. I have no idea how to wire those up either, I called for the complete harness from china and it just came with two ends, one behind the HU and one behind the module, with a middle bit sticking out for the Microphone. Also I believe it requires to be coded via VCDS Apparently the "77-Telephone" in long coding needs to be activated and I found a guide online on how to go about it. Do let me know if you need that guide. Me and akshay1234 are going to be doing the coding in my car as soon as he can find the time.
Hi guys,

Moral, I must thank you for creating this thread. It was very informative and has given me the courage to undertake adding a bluetooth module in my Jetta.

n:Core, could you please email me the guide on coding? I have ordered a 9w2 kit online and i expect it to be delivered shortly and even though some claim that it might work without any coding, I have a feeling I might just be needing the guide. My email id is: sidby1508@gmail.com

Thanks a lot
sidby is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks