Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 09:56   #1
Team-BHP Support

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Prelude:

Volkswagen Vento was launched in 2010 as a Polo with a boot. The car is based on the Polo 6R. The launch editions of the Vento in 2010 and the first half of 2011 had a very mediocre music system. The headunit could only play a single MP3 CD or the FM/AM radio. For a 10 lakh rupee car, the stereo was below average.

My elder brother was one of the first buyers of a Vento (Dec - 2010). Increasingly, it became frustrating for his wife to use the stereo due to the pain involved in burning music CDs for latest audio tracks.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883311.852642.jpg

Research:

We started looking at options to upgrade the headunit first. The requirements were simple:
  • Should take USB and iPod as media input
  • Looks of the facia shouldn't change. No protruding single DIN headunits.
  • Minimal changes to wiring and circuitry of the car.
  • Additional features like Bluetooth connectivity, A2DP, GPS, etc were welcome.

After intense research, the options were pretty limited. We could use either of the following:

- A stock VW headunit from the Jetta / Passat.
- A stock VW headunit from the upgraded Vento.
- A series of headunits from Blaupunkt specially designed for VW cars. These include the Blaupunkt Philadelphia, New York, etc.
- Some Chinese units like the Caska, Witson, etc.

Team-bhp has some treasure of trove information on a headunit upgrade for the Vento. So referred to these threads:

1) Thread link.. However bhpian newtonMeter stated that pre-RCD310 units are not a direct upgrade. He also mentioned that it was kind of impossible to upgrade the HU if your car had the RCD300 which my brother's car did.

2) Thread link.. After further efforts came across bhpian MSP9994's thread on his Polo HU upgrade. This thread has some great information if your stereo doesn't have CAN bus connected wiring harness. Thereafter we were convinced that an RCD510 could be installed in the Vento with a little effort.

And so began our hunt to source the stereo. Getting a headunit from ebay via Chinese sellers was the first option. But, it wasn't straightforward. We realized that the RCD 510 was manufactured by two vendors to VW. One was from Bosch which was made in Portugal while the other was from Delphi and made in China. Googled for the difference and it seems that though the Delphi offers direct USB connectivity, it was relatively poorly built. Additionally, the Indian spec Jetta and the Passat used to get a Bosch unit.

Do note here that even the Bosch unit has multiple part numbers:

- 590 035 190 A (A is not printed on the HU)
- 590 035 190 B (B is printed as a part number)

The unit we bought:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883181.555762.jpg

Purchase:

Just to try our luck, we walked into a friendly neighborhood accessory shop and lo behold, a Jetta owner had upgraded to a Blaunpunkt unit and had left behind the stock unit. Negotiated the price and requested him to fit the stereo immediately. He was confident that there was no wiring change required although I knew that he would need to change it.

The RCD-510 features a 6.5" touch screen with an in-built 6-CD changer. An SD-card (only upto 32GB) can be taken as an input. Additionally, an MDI kit and a Bluetooth module is plug and play.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883334.703206.jpg

Install:

Once the stock RCD-300 was removed, our doubt came to light, the stock connectors in the back wouldn't directly fit on the the RCD510. They were completely different. Not just for the power input and speakers, the antenna connector is different as well. Being a sucker for plug and play, we were sure we wouldn't splice any wires or cut the existing loom.

Wiring connection on the stock pre-2011 Vento:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883374.128846.jpg

Wiring connection on the stock pre-2011 Vento:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883408.560448.jpg

The PIN input on the RCD510. No luck here:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883462.035304.jpg

Logical connection as displayed on the RCD510:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883992.550236.jpg

The socket available on the post Sep-2011 Vento (taken from newtonMeter's thread). This is for the RCD310 and features connectivity to the CAN bus as well.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883500.857830.jpg

Referred to MSP9994's thread to find a solution and came across bhpian sangtani's post that stated a wiring loom is available to adapt the RCD300 socket to the RCD510. Contacted Sugesh from vagtune and placed an order for the kit. Here are the two parts we ordered:

1) Low line to highline adaptor: Part link.

2) Antenna adapter: Part link.

The parts came in later than we expected. However Sugesh was of good help and offered quite a bit of details on the phone. The wiring is priced on the expensive side. If you are a DIY nut, this loom can be built at home by ordering parts if you know the right sources. Additionally, a Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 has most of these sockets available in the factory shipped box itself. We could have done a little more search and found it somewhere.

Once the package arrived, we got down to do a DIY, opened trim surrounding the HU,

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883584.598969.jpg

Removed all four torx screws which holds the HU in place:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883613.610173.jpg

Removed HU, plugged the wiring into the RCD510 and left CAN wires hanging.

And we ended up with a failure. The headunit wouldn't power on at all. Thought we ended up with a dead unit. Called up the accessory shop guy through whom we had sourced the unit. He asked us to get the car over to his workshop. Drove down and his technician corrected the fault. It was a simple case of a loose socket on the back of the HU.

Now, do remember if you are going to carry out any upgrade to stock VW stereos you'll need a security code to enable it. The security code is bound the chassis number of the car in which the HU was first fitted. This code can be obtained from Volkswagen service centers with a gentle request. You need to provide the chassis number and the HU model, they'll give you a four digit code. If you are buying from ebay, most sellers will give you the code alongwith the stereo. In the Vento, the four digit code is placed on a sticker in the spare wheel well. You need the code each time you unplug the wiring from the back of the stereo.

Then came our worst nightmare, connecting the CAN wires to the BCM. Indian spec Polos and Ventos have the PQ25 module. A good bit of details are available on page 1 & 2 of MSP9994's thread. Sugesh had directed us with a wiring diagram as well. You need a yoga honed body to access the module and unplug it. The technician handling our car made an effort and unplugged the right connector for us. I dived into the footwell several times alongwith my brother to identify which pin numbers we needed to connect to. We had to identify pin #20 and 21 to connect CAN+ and CAN- respectively. But, we encountered something strange.

MSP9994 as well as sangtani had VW Polos which did not come with a climate control. PIN 20 and 21 were already carrying a wire into the BCM in the Vento. Spoke to Sugesh from VAG tune and he confirmed that it is indeed from the climate control module. We were left with no choice but to splice CAN connection wires on the climate control unit

A look at the BCM module holding the connector. You'll notice that this is PQ25:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883958.808320.jpg

This is the connector behind the climate control module, and you cannot identify which two wires go into the BCM. So, we had to abort the process and wait.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883550.705474.jpg

If you research the internet, you'll notice hundreds of threads stating battery drain issues after upgrade to RCD510 for any previous gen stereos on VW group cars. The main reason for this is:

1) These stereos are not connected to the BCM.
2) If you do not connect to the BCM, the stereo doesn't power off with the ignition, it will remain ON. You have to manually power down the stereo.

Our troubles didn't end there. We drove out of the accessories shop and found out that the CD changer wasn't working. Somethings don't come easily to you, this was one such upgrade. But, we were determined. Called the guy again and he said, he'll arrange for a Passat unit within a week. He did that in two weeks and we got a fully working RCD510 unit directly from a Passat for the same price we initially paid him.

Add on

Next up, riding on the thrill wave, we ordered an MDI kit and Bluetooth module. These are plug and play as we initially thought but it isn't.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390884020.650887.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883978.511124.jpg

These two parts were ordered from ebay and shipped from China. They were delivered at my doorstep in a good 20-22 days since we placed the order.

Removed the HU harness and plugged in the Green (Bluetooth module) and Blue (MDI kit) plugs into the stock harness.

A look at the Bluetooth harness (LHS) MDI kit harness (RHS):

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883650.914627.jpg

The Bluetooth module has four hanging wires, one Red (goes into power), Brown (goes to ground), a pair of Orange wires that are plugged into the BCM. Similarly, the MDI kit has a Brown wire (ground), and a pair of Orange for the BCM. Since we aren't dead sure about the connections, these are pending confirmation on additional research on how to connect.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883702.010546.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883688.891293.jpg

Bluetooth microphone that will sit in the cabin light where there is a provision for installing it.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-imageuploadedbyteambhp1390883667.642968.jpg

Special note of thanks to bhpian Mariner (my brother) for indulging in the same amount of madness and helping in research and installation while we were at it.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th January 2014 at 09:08.
moralfibre is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 09:06   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the DIY section.
Old 30th January 2014, 11:36   #3
BHPian

Phew!!! Lots of work done over there!!
Ok let me start on a positive note and tell you that you've got most of the stuff right.

What you need to do now...

1) You have to splice the bcm wires from pin 20 and 21 and connect the can wires from the radio adapter (you can join the wires next to the bcm pin location or trace the wires to climatronic unit and join it there, whichever is convenient).
2)I think you made a mistake in buying the mdi and bluetooth wiring kits. These wiring kits are cheap because they aren't of the plug n play variety. Once you make bcm connection from the radio it then becomes a fully integrated canbus radio. And since both the bluetooth kit and the mdi kit are connected to the radio there is no need to make independent bcm connections again. So what you need is this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kabelsatz-VW...item3cd042db3b

PLug in the radio adapter canbus wires to pin 20 and 21 (splicing it at a location that you find convenient) then use the above cable to fit the bluetooth and the mdi kit.Activate the mdi and telephone module using vcds and bob's your uncle!!

I would also recommend that you go for the 9w7 bluetooth kit. With a bosch radio and phone button the 9w2 wont seem adeqaute. You wont get any display on the rcd510 with your kit. You can only pick up and reject calling USING YOUR PHONE and stream music via bluetooth. With the 9w7 you can have a touchscreen dialpad, pick up and reject calls using the RADIO SCREEN, and get phonebook and call register features on your rcd510. The 9W2 kit ideally suited for those delphi rcd510's without the phone button.

Last edited by vinj14 : 30th January 2014 at 12:05.
vinj14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 12:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
1) You have to splice the bcm wires from pin 20 and 21 and connect the can wires from the radio adapter (you can join the wires next to the bcm pin location or trace the wires to climatronic unit and join it there, whichever is convenient).
The problem is that the connector has barely any space to move let alone splice them on the BCM side. Is there a way I can identify the CAN wires on the climate control plug?

Quote:
2)I think you made a mistake in buying the mdi and bluetooth wiring kits. These wiring kits are cheap because they aren't of the plug n play variety. Once you make bcm connection from the radio it then becomes a fully integrated canbus radio. And since both the bluetooth kit and the mdi kit are connected to the radio there is no need to make independent bcm connections again. So what you need is this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kabelsatz-VW...item3cd042db3b
Can't open ebay at work. I'll check this up once I get home.

EDIT: Just checked the product on the phone. It seems to be a full blown wiring kit. I didn't pay extra for the harness for MDI and BT module. It came with the product.

Quote:
I would also recommend that you go for the 9w7 bluetooth kit. With a bosch radio and phone button the 9w2 wont seem adeqaute. You wont get any display on the rcd510 with your kit. You can only pick up and reject calling USING YOUR PHONE and stream music via bluetooth. With the 9w7 you can have a touchscreen dialpad, pick up and reject calls using the RADIO SCREEN, and get phonebook and call register features on your rcd510. The 9W2 kit ideally suited for those delphi rcd510's without the phone button.
Damn! I thought I couldn't use 9W7 with the RCD510 or else I would have ordered it. I'll see if I can sell it to someone and get a 9W7. Also, would you know if I can get a steering with audio controls and use them with the RCD510?

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th January 2014 at 12:59.
Old 30th January 2014, 16:25   #5
BHPian

Steering audio controls will work on the RCD510. No worries on that. CAN will take care of it.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 20:06   #6
BHPian

When I first saw the thread, I thought the solutions to all my woes regarding the vento RD310 would be solved. But after going through all the information posted, I think I'll wait for some reputed after market installers to do it on my behalf. To be frank am a novice when it comes to electricals and DIY.

The information you have gathered is pretty impressive. Shall follow your updates, in case I need it in the future

All the best
Old 30th January 2014, 20:31   #7
BHPian

I have done extensive research on this matter and the reasons why I chose the Delphi (China) v/s Bosch (Portugal) were as follows:

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_2329.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_2742.jpg

- Firstly, the price .. The Bosch unit is considerably more expensive than the Delphi
- There is no particular requirement of DAB in India (which I believe is only in the Bosch unit)
- Bosch supports all EU languages. Delphi only Chinese & US English. Which I think shouldn't matter.
- Bosch requires the more expensive 9W7 Bluetooth Module to make the bluetooth funtion worth it. And also a separate MDI kit for USB & AUX (more money). I know Bluetooth functions on the Delphi (9W2) are limited but it can atleast charge my Phone while on the go and perform the basic bluetooth needs which is call accept/reject & A2DP.
- 9W7 makes sense for people with the full functional MFD like Prithwi & Robi, as it then integrates with the MFD for further telephone convenience.
- The build quality IMO, isn't shoddy becuase this unit is attached to VW cars in North America as well. It cannot be substandard and as I've experienced it isn't.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_2330.jpg

My unit is up and running perfectly and that just happened last week. Thanks to my research I exactly knew what parts I needed for e.g the Low-line to High-line adapter cable, FAKRA Antenna Cable, Bluetooth Module with complete pre-wired harness, USB & AUX extentions with dash-flush housings, Cabin light with Mic housing, all called from China.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_2331.jpg

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_2333.jpg

My Bluetooth module (9w2) although connected isn't functioning yet. I have no idea how to wire those up either, I called for the complete harness from china and it just came with two ends, one behind the HU and one behind the module, with a middle bit sticking out for the Microphone. Also I believe it requires to be coded via VCDS Apparently the "77-Telephone" in long coding needs to be activated and I found a guide online on how to go about it. Do let me know if you need that guide. Me and akshay1234 are going to be doing the coding in my car as soon as he can find the time.

Special thanks to Ajay (Bass&Trouble) for helping me with the wiring and stuff, thats one area I really suck at. Also I was blessed because my Polo highline came with steering mounted controls in the stock stereo so there were wires in the original connectors which were hooked to the CAN. Ajay's boys were able to hook the CAN wires (of adapter cable) into the connector perfectly causing no battery drain and complete CAN functionality (Steering mounted controls & Optical Park System).

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-img_2745.jpg

However I must add my experience was a tedious one. The first time I received the HU and tried to hook it up, I had issues with USB and the CD player gave a device error. I read around to have heard there is a CD Device protection lock which can be unlocked by pressing a bunch of keys together but I think thats only for the Bosch ones coz it didn't seem to work for me. I was lucky that my uncle was flying down to china only to be back within 20 days. So my unit had to do a round trip to the suppliers who then did something and fixed it.

I got in touch with Chinese suppliers of VW Shanghai over an online portal and the price I got my whole unit installed is unbelievable. Its round about the figures people are selling their RCD320's on OLX and a fraction of what Sugesh @ Vagtune charged for the same.

Last edited by n:CorE : 30th January 2014 at 20:37.
n:CorE is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 00:12   #8
BHPian

DIY: RCD 510 Head-Unit upgrade for a VW Vento

You can splice the wires and join em right before it goes into the bcm coupler.

Yes you can add a mfsw assuming you don't have one now.You'll need a new mfsw, multifunction airbag wiring harness and a few repair wires. Again lots of splicing and connections are needed to make this work.

I have a 9w7 kit . Pm me if you are interested.
Old 31st January 2014, 10:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laferrari View Post
When I first saw the thread, I thought the solutions to all my woes regarding the vento RD310 would be solved. But after going through all the information posted, I think I'll wait for some reputed after market installers to do it on my behalf. To be frank am a novice when it comes to electricals and DIY.

The information you have gathered is pretty impressive. Shall follow your updates, in case I need it in the future

All the best
Swapping the rcd310 for a rcd510 is the easier thing ever. RCD310 is a canbus radio. All you need to do is just remove your rcd310 and plug in the rcd510!!!
Only those with polo/ventos prior to the rcd310 update need multiple modifications to get the rcd510 to work
vinj14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 10:40   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
- Firstly, the price .. The Bosch unit is considerably more expensive than the Delphi
- There is no particular requirement of DAB in India (which I believe is only in the Bosch unit)
- Bosch supports all EU languages. Delphi only Chinese & US English. Which I think shouldn't matter.
Great post n:CorE, this is turning out to be a bible for HU upgrades. My say on Delphi build quality was only based on various internet forums reporting failure in CD changers. Additionally, the Bosch unit comes stock in VW Jettas and Passats in India. Therefore, easier to source. I got mine for a throwaway price. To be precise, Rs. 8,000/-. International prices start at $250 onwards for used units. Getting them shipped and custom cleared would be a pain as well.

Quote:
- Bosch requires the more expensive 9W7 Bluetooth Module to make the bluetooth funtion worth it. And also a separate MDI kit for USB & AUX (more money). I know Bluetooth functions on the Delphi (9W2) are limited but it can atleast charge my Phone while on the go and perform the basic bluetooth needs which is call accept/reject & A2DP.
9W2 works with the Bosch unit as well. 9W7 is very expensive. The primary function we needed was A2DP and basic call handling. We were ok with not being able to receive calls from the stereo. Don't have a multi function steering wheel as well.

Quote:
Also I believe it requires to be coded via VCDS Apparently the "77-Telephone" in long coding needs to be activated and I found a guide online on how to go about it. Do let me know if you need that guide. Me and akshay1234 are going to be doing the coding in my car as soon as he can find the time.
Once you enable it in the BCM, it will start working.

Quote:
I got in touch with Chinese suppliers of VW Shanghai over an online portal and the price I got my whole unit installed is unbelievable. Its round about the figures people are selling their RCD320's on OLX and a fraction of what Sugesh @ Vagtune charged for the same.
I agree, prices in India for these units and accessories are sky high. Almost twice of what it would cost to have these shipped from China. You were lucky to have your uncle who travels back and forth.

Thanks again!

vinj, I guess I'll drive down to the VW service station and access their manuals to trace the pin diagram on the climate control. Once we find that, we'll splice the wires behind the AC unit to connect. Also, would you know how to wire the BT module? Just connect the Red wire to HU power-in and ground to the ground? Wouldn't that make the BT module draw power continuously from the battery even when ignition is turned off?
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 10:56   #11
BHPian

Hi laferrari,

I have a June 2013 manufactured Vento HL TDI. It has a RCD320 with Bluetooth, Steering mounted buttons for Volume, Track change, mute and call answer. The Bluetooth mic is situated just below the centre AC vents(left).

All is well except a tiny problem,

1)When someone makes a call, I only get their number on the HU and not their name. Is there any way to correct it?

2) Is there a possibility of fitting the option of changing the Auto Climate control Temp option on the Steering Wheel. I am guessing that the international versions of the Polo/Vento have this and there's a provision on the steering(right) to fit some buttons.

3)Also, Will the RCD 510 be a direct fit in my case.I'm happy with my current setup but am tempted to go touchscreen!!

4)Also can i get the visual display of Parking Sensor on my current setup or the RCD510?

just pondering?
Old 31st January 2014, 12:53   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

vinj, I guess I'll drive down to the VW service station and access their manuals to trace the pin diagram on the climate control. Once we find that, we'll splice the wires behind the AC unit to connect. Also, would you know how to wire the BT module? Just connect the Red wire to HU power-in and ground to the ground? Wouldn't that make the BT module draw power continuously from the battery even when ignition is turned off?
I seriously think you should consider getting a plug and play type wiring harness for the bluetooth. otherwise finding the power, ground connections can be a real headache. it wont cost more than 45 usd including shipping. Did the seller give you an installation manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakchow View Post
Hi laferrari,

I have a June 2013 manufactured Vento HL TDI. It has a RCD320 with Bluetooth, Steering mounted buttons for Volume, Track change, mute and call answer. The Bluetooth mic is situated just below the centre AC vents(left).

3)Also, Will the RCD 510 be a direct fit in my case.I'm happy with my current setup but am tempted to go touchscreen!!

4)Also can i get the visual display of Parking Sensor on my current setup or the RCD510?

just pondering?
Yes rcd510 will fit. But you need the adapter. The two canbus wires can be connected to the corresponding pin locations of the rcd320 wiring harness. The rcd320 does have canbus connections (which is how the steering controls work). So you wont have to go to the bcm. Nearly plug and play. You will get the graphical parking display with the rcd510 but you will lose the bluetooth function unless you fit a bluetooth kit.
Old 31st January 2014, 12:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
I seriously think you should consider getting a plug and play type wiring harness for the bluetooth. otherwise finding the power, ground connections can be a real headache. it wont cost more than 45 usd including shipping. Did the seller give you an installation manual?

Yes rcd510 will fit. But you need the adapter. The two canbus wires can be connected to the corresponding pin locations of the rcd320 wiring harness. The rcd320 does have canbus connections (which is how the steering controls work). So you wont have to go to the bcm. Nearly plug and play. You will get the graphical parking display with the rcd510 but you will lose the bluetooth function unless you fit a bluetooth kit.

Thank you vinj,
So are you saying that I should get another bluetooth kit along with rcd510 if I want to retain bluetooth facility?

Also what about the appearance of the name of the contact on the screen issue?
Old 31st January 2014, 13:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have done extensive research on this matter and the reasons why I chose the Delphi (China) v/s Bosch (Portugal) were as follows: ...
So which one did you choose? Unclear!

Quote:
... - Firstly, the price ...
How did the Delphi and Bosch units compare musically?

Interface-wise I would expect the 2 to be identical (how can there be two RC510 that work differently?).
Old 31st January 2014, 14:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
So which one did you choose? Unclear!

How did the Delphi and Bosch units compare musically?

Interface-wise I would expect the 2 to be identical (how can there be two RC510 that work differently?).
I chose Delphi (China) - as suggested in the pictures.

Musically, although I have been told the Bosch has a slightly better output but then again, I really don't think VW will let substandard equipment be in its North American cars (which use chinese units). Otherwise, its a marginal improvement over the stock RCD320.

Interface-wise, it is exactly the same save for the functionalities and compatibilities each one.

The button layout on the RCD Bosch and Delphi are different. Here is a quick chart I drew up to differenciate between the Chinese & Portugal units.

DIY: RCD 510 head-unit upgrade for VW Vento and Polo-delphi-vs-bosch.jpg
n:CorE is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks