Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2006, 09:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

A car PC atlast!

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/p...-pc-184610.php

"This in-dash entertainment center from Hong Kong has a 6.5-inch screen and 800x480 resolution. Front-and-center on its feature list is a GPS navigator and the ability to connect to the Internet via GPRS networks. And you know what that means—you can also use it as a GSM cellphone. It’s an actual PC, too, with a 20GB hard disk and 128MB of RAM, presided over by a 400MHz AMD AU1200 chip. Not sure how all that would react to the 150° temperature inside a hot car on the Fourth of July. It has everything else you might need in a car radio, too, such as AM/FM radio along with CD, DVD, and MP3 players, and there’s even a USB and headset port in front....."

ok ok, 4000$

Product page http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11476...Navigator.html
Old 3rd July 2006, 10:07   #2
BHPian

That looks really great. But really wonder when this product will hit our indian market? and what kind of people will really go for this.
Old 3rd July 2006, 10:47   #3
BHPian

ummmmmm interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

And? I dont see the point. I mean what does this do that a CD/DVD does not and you need done in a car?
Old 3rd July 2006, 11:59   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

check out www.carputer.org .... I think the USP of a carpc is its cost effectivness in providing an all round entertainment at cheaper costs. @ 4000$ its no whr near that.
Old 3rd July 2006, 12:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

A good DVD deck with a motorised screen cost a bit over $300. Such a deck will play anything and with an ipod or other MP3 player attached will suffice as an in car entertainment center. A few additions can enable this system to be used for videogames as well. My view is tHe carputer is a solution looking for a problem.

Same as my phone. It has a MP3 player that I never use, a FM radio that I never use, a camera that I use only if I dont have my digicam handy and a battery life that if I used all of the above would last only about 1/2 a day.

It all sounds fantastic. Convergence and all. But I'd rather have dedicated systems as they are better designed to perfrom only a few tasks. For example if you used your PC as your home stereo would you have tha patience for Windows to boot when you could be lisnteing to music?
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
And? I dont see the point. I mean what does this do that a CD/DVD does not and you need done in a car?

Quote:
It all sounds fantastic. Convergence and all. But I'd rather have dedicated systems as they are better designed to perfrom only a few tasks.
Word!
Old 3rd July 2006, 13:33   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

http://www.xenarc.com/product/cp1000.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carputer

I think the killer app here, in favour of CARPUTER / CARPC would be

1. Connect with your cars OBD-II interface and display real-time data on all diagnostic information available. (RPM/Temps/Speedo/etc.) Pull error codes immediately.

2. External application support.

Rest of the Multimedia and SATNAV and Games are already implemented in more reliable ways.

Now what scares me is what if a VIRUS hits the CARPC ???!!!!
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:41   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
1. Connect with your cars OBD-II interface and display real-time data on all diagnostic information available. (RPM/Temps/Speedo/etc.) Pull error codes immediately.

Now what scares me is what if a VIRUS hits the CARPC ???!!!!
My car's Climate control system allows me to access the diagnistics. In fact Mad Monkey called me and showed me how over the phone when my car's fuel guage was showing odd readings.

WRT VIRUS. Never use a Microsoft product in your car, actually never use a Microsoft product at home either! :-) GM, Toyota, even Maruti fix bugs using a "recall" and doing it for free; Microsoft fixes bugs using an "upgrade" and charging you for your stupidity for buying their products in the first place.
Old 3rd July 2006, 15:06   #10
BANNED

Quote:
WRT VIRUS. Never use a Microsoft product in your car, actually never use a Microsoft product at home either! :-) GM, Toyota, even Maruti fix bugs using a "recall" and doing it for free; Microsoft fixes bugs using an "upgrade" and charging you for your stupidity for buying their products in the first place.
Well said. I doublely agree on that.

Use of microsoft products are only worth when you go the Pirated route which is a pleasure but ILLEGAL!!!
Solution: Avoid it! simple!!!!

And regarding PC in car, I will stick the thingy in Office and home only. For car, Audio and video is the only things needed. So, No point in plonking a PC in.

Last edited by speedzak : 3rd July 2006 at 15:11.
Old 3rd July 2006, 20:12   #11
BHPian

you can make yr own Car PC for MUCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH cheaper
Old 3rd July 2006, 20:15   #12
DRC
BHPian

Don't ypou think a laptop would be cheaper even after adding the price of the few scews you need to fix it on the dash board
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:42   #13

is it not possible to use normal home type simple pc in a car? is there any problem with doing that? maybe for the power there could be dc to ac converter and all music can be played directly from hard disc without any need for rom drives and all,. what is the problem in doing something lik that?
Old 3rd July 2006, 22:47   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation

brilliant it has stylus n a touch screen to make you feel special happy typing while driving n dont let insurance fool you while signing lol!
Old 26th July 2006, 14:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/p...-pc-184610.php

"This in-dash entertainment center from Hong Kong has a 6.5-inch screen and 800x480 resolution. Front-and-center on its feature list is a GPS navigator and the ability to connect to the Internet via GPRS networks. And you know what that means—you can also use it as a GSM cellphone. It’s an actual PC, too, with a 20GB hard disk and 128MB of RAM, presided over by a 400MHz AMD AU1200 chip. Not sure how all that would react to the 150° temperature inside a hot car on the Fourth of July. It has everything else you might need in a car radio, too, such as AM/FM radio along with CD, DVD, and MP3 players, and there’s even a USB and headset port in front....."

ok ok, 4000$

Product page http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11476...Navigator.html
this is just an all-in-one & none-for-all kinda product which geeks with money & no brain would want to boast of. i think u cud have a neat gprs, blutooth enabled, mp3 phone in ur hands & do much the same thing with a waio to boot... all this for less than 1/2 the cost

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks