Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2014, 17:52   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
This thread can of course go on, but I prefer a silent and sterile cockpit. All electronic devices will be switched off unless there is a a need. Its my time and I want to be left alone. Sorry about all the digression.
Yes, and I agree! Like SSTraveler quoted in his travelogue once - driving is like meditation! Stay calm and undistracted to do that meditation.

From a safety perspective, the Heads Up Displays (HUDs) should work well. All the lights/ screens from the cabin should shut off, I too believe. That is what i think CarPlay does - once connected - phone screen can NOT be used. Now of course if that app display is done using HUDs and voice aided inputs, the fun will double. Still can't eliminate the possibilities of safety issues but better than fiddling with the HU screen!

In USA I drove my friend's BMW X5 that was loaded with gizmos and I can tell you the HUD there was so crisp and clear, I didn't take my eyes off the windscreen! Its another story that my voice wasn't really recognised by the system, blame it on my indian accent
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 14:36   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
In USA I drove my friend's BMW X5 that was loaded with gizmos and I can tell you the HUD there was so crisp and clear, I didn't take my eyes off the windscreen! ...
I saw some videos on the Internet based on your post above about BMW X5 HUD. Looks impressive. But I am not sure if we can focus on two displays (HUD, and what goes on outside) at the same time. Its like old Hindi (or Kannada/Te/Ta) movie Hero-Heroine camera trick. Hero's face on the left edge of the screen, singing a song, and Heroine is blurred in the back on the right hand side, and then the camera alternates! Only one face at a time .
Old 21st October 2014, 14:48   #33
BHPian

The whole idea of HUD is to display info like the other elements that you see through the windshield so that you dont have to take the focus from the road.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st October 2014 at 14:50.
Old 21st October 2014, 19:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
.... Its like old Hindi (or Kannada/Te/Ta) movie Hero-Heroine camera trick. Hero's face on the left edge of the screen, singing a song, and Heroine is blurred in the back on the right hand side, and then the camera alternates! Only one face at a time .
Funny analogy but not true in this case. I have driven a BMW 3 Series with HUD for long night drive and can vouch for its benefits. the display is not too intrusive. Feels safer with this.

I hope there are more after market HUD solutions for phones and navigation.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 21st October 2014 at 19:47.
14000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 21:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
more after market HUD solutions for phones and navigation.
They are different than the one you had experienced in BMW.
Old 27th October 2014, 10:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
...I have driven a BMW 3 Series with HUD for long night drive and can vouch for its benefits. the display is not too intrusive. Feels safer with this.
Thank you for mentioning your experience. Its seems positive, and holds out hope for future in terms of in-car OSes.

I mounted my new iPhone in the car yesterday. Shifted my focus for about a second to change a song and I almost rear ended a Duster. Again felt very unsafe. Further to that, dismantled the mount and switched off the phone altogether.

Yet to try Siri though. The manual says Siri can respond to 'Hey Siri' while powered on.
Old 14th November 2014, 17:20   #37
BHPian

People, just thinking out loud. With the introduction of iPhone 6 plus, why not we stick the phone to the dashboard and have a full fledged 'Carplay', without spending any money on dash unit. All your steering controls still work if your HU can recognize iPod interfaces. Just think about most of the apps NOT working on CarPlay. Though support is getting rolled out gradually, this approach ensures no such thing as unsupported app. Of course, for non-BT systems, some dances should be done, and that should be easy. All aftermarket Carplay systems are either 6.5" or 7.5". Well, 5.5" is almost there. Apple may have made themselves Carplay irrelevant.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 14th November 2014 at 17:22. Reason: typos
Old 24th January 2015, 11:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsa View Post
A big Hello to everyone!
Wanted to share some updates on Apple's CarPlay.

http://www.pioneer-carglobal.com/CarPlay/
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-8000NEX

CarPlay could be here sooner than we think. Pioneer has introduced CarPlay in its car audio systems in a few countries. They integrate with your 'existing' car. I've requested them for the Indian launch date through an email. No reply yet.

AVH-X8650BT seems to be the closest model with CarPlay to AVH-X5690BT which is currently available in India. The Indian model is approximately Rs. 30,000/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
Any updates from Pioneer?

The main problem that Carplay will have in India is its inability to utilize Google Maps for navigation. Apple Maps, being still in its infancy, is pretty much useless in India. You can't generate routes in Tier 1 cities, let alone it working in other cities.
Hello Folks
I am in search for a high-end toch screen head unit for my verna fluidic. I want a player with apple's carplay.After some research i learnt that pioneer avh-4000nex is a good player that fits my budget.Unfortunately avh-4000nex is not available in India.
Pioneers avh-x8650bt is avilable in India with similar configuration but does it support carplay?
If avh-8650bt dosent support carplay, will it be sensible to import avh-4000nex from USA ?
Old 24th January 2015, 19:34   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197Horses View Post
Hello Folks
I am in search for a high-end toch screen head unit for my verna fluidic. I want a player with apple's carplay.After some research i learnt that pioneer avh-4000nex is a good player that fits my budget.Unfortunately avh-4000nex is not available in India.
Pioneers avh-x8650bt is avilable in India with similar configuration but does it support carplay?
If avh-8650bt dosent support carplay, will it be sensible to import avh-4000nex from USA ?

Is it compatible with iOS 8? Last I heard, the new devices with iOS 8 are having problems with quite a few HUs.
Old 6th March 2015, 16:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Came across this link on CES 2015 ( while doing Friday evening time-pass in office )

http://9to5mac.com/2015/01/08/harman...tials-cockpit/

Quote:
Demonstrating how Apple’s CarPlay will be integrated into upcoming budget vehicles, Harman has shown the Integrated Essentials Cockpit, a new OEM solution that does away with direct touchscreen interaction in favor of a steering wheel-mounted touchpad. The Integrated Essentials Cockpit eliminates the currently popular center console-mounted screen, instead bringing Apple’s CarPlay interface directly into the dashboard behind the steering wheel.

Unusually, the CarPlay UI then sits between a left-side speedometer and a right-side tachometer, below a bar with a thermometer and above a fuel gauge and odometer. More pictures and details are below.
Old 2nd July 2015, 14:35   #41
BHPian

Apparently, Pioneer has a firmware which enables an existing HU to use CarPlay. It is even available in India with two of the HU models.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/CarPlay/
http://pioneer-india.in/pioneer-brin...play-to-india/

Don't know if these models are compatible with my GT TDI, though.
Old 26th August 2015, 23:11   #42

Just my two cents. With the new iOS 9 launch in the corner, i went through the preview from apple website. Apple is incorporating carplay with this OS upgrade.Still no clue about the models of HUs which supports this app.

Source:
https://www.apple.com/in/ios/ios9-preview/
diyaneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 09:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyaneesh View Post
Just my two cents. With the new iOS 9 launch in the corner, i went through the preview from apple website. Apple is incorporating carplay with this OS upgrade.Still no clue about the models of HUs which supports this app.

Source:
https://www.apple.com/in/ios/ios9-preview/
Unfortunately according to macrumors, this September announcement will just share more infoomation about iOS9, that's it. Not the launch of iOS9 itself :(.

I just installed a head unit with car play and I find it meh. I prefer the regular nav/bluetooth/music over CarPlay. Its a toy I'll probably never use.

The heads up display in the new BMWs is beautiful. I'd have it in my future car if possible.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:20   #44

Ok guys, I have been using Apple CarPlay with my ICE system. The model is Pioneer AVH 8690BT. It is available on Snapdeal at about 33k. It requires a firmware upgrade though which can be easily done from the Pioneer website.

You simply have to connect your iPhone (in my case 6 Plus) using the Lightening connector to the USB/ iPod port of the HU and CarPlay will automatically start both on the HU and the iPhone provided you have it enabled in the settings of the HU.

This model however does not support Wireless CarPlay. The lightening connector has to be used.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 1st September 2015, 00:33   #45
Senior - BHPian

My biggest gripe with CarPlay / Android Auto is the fact that I can't switch to FM radio from within them. So if I want to switch back and forth between radio and music (which I do), I have to switch between CarPlay and non-CarPlay. Thats not a good experience, instead I will just stay in non-CarPlay mode and switch between radio and music.

At the end of the day I guess CarPlay is useful if you don't have Bluetooth streaming, phone connectivity and GPS built-in to the head unit. If you do have those, then CarPlay becomes redundant.

I do get that there are a few other features, but who actually uses Siri? And dictate text messages?

One other reason automakers may want to stay away from these is, it will standardize the experience across cars. Which may not be a good thing. So my S-Class has the same tech experience as a $15K Kia? That may or may not make me happy, depending on which car I am buying .

Last edited by rajushank84 : 1st September 2015 at 00:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks