Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2016, 02:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Apple CarPlay---Lack of options?

I have a 2012 Skoda rapid Ambition and since there was no audio HU provided by Skoda, I have been using a double din JVC HU with Bluetooth connectivity and 4 decent JBL speakers.

Now, I'm no music geek, but for the past 6 months my daily driving has doubled up from 20kms a day to nearly 40. And it's about 2 hours a day in terms of time spent in the snail paced Bangalore traffic. So instead of constantly looking at my iPhone while being stuck in the never ending traffic, I thought of looking at a AppleCar play enabled HU. And to my surprises there seem to be hardly any options!! There is one by Pioneer and one other by JVC both costing 30k+ which seems like the cost of an Ipad actually!
I was tempted to even look at buying it off Maruti since they have their HU with applecarplay but wasn't sure if it would fit my rapid and would absolutely hate it if the Suzuki and Maruti logos keep popping up every time I switch it on.

Today I happen to see another HU JVC KW V220BT in flip kart , it says it supports Apple car play, but I see no such info in JVC's official website.

Any ideas to resolve my issue? Is there an affordable Apple car play HU out there that I'm missing out?
Old 6th June 2016, 00:17   #47
BHPian

Re: Apple CarPlay---Lack of options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I have a 2012 Skoda rapid Ambition and since there was no audio HU provided by Skoda, I have been using a double din JVC HU with Bluetooth connectivity and 4 decent JBL speakers.

Now, I'm no music geek, but for the past 6 months my daily driving has doubled up from 20kms a day to nearly 40. And it's about 2 hours a day in terms of time spent in the snail paced Bangalore traffic. So instead of constantly looking at my iPhone while being stuck in the never ending traffic, I thought of looking at a AppleCar play enabled HU. And to my surprises there seem to be hardly any options!! There is one by Pioneer and one other by JVC both costing 30k+ which seems like the cost of an Ipad actually!
I was tempted to even look at buying it off Maruti since they have their HU with applecarplay but wasn't sure if it would fit my rapid and would absolutely hate it if the Suzuki and Maruti logos keep popping up every time I switch it on.

Today I happen to see another HU JVC KW V220BT in flip kart , it says it supports Apple car play, but I see no such info in JVC's official website.

Any ideas to resolve my issue? Is there an affordable Apple car play HU out there that I'm missing out?
I don't think so we have many options for Apple car play. Not only for Apple car play, but for MirrorLink or Android Auto. The ones which are available in the market are very costly, e.g Pioneer AVH-4000NEX.

Did you check KENWOOD DDX6702S. I guess its cheaper than Pioneer at least.

Not sure about JVC KW V220BT having Apple CarPlay but JVC KW V820 BT certainly has it. Just checked on their website.
maddyguage is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 16:43   #48
BANNED

Re: Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System

Just to continue the above discussion, I am looking for a HU with Apple CarPlay; but a little murky on the benefits of the same.

With the plethora of options available outside India, and the real dearth of knowledge on my part, is it possible to mirror Google Maps on any system available in India? From what I have gathered, its only Apple Maps that can be screened on the HU, and not anything else.

In which case, if we are not really bent upon reading messages and sending them on the go, wouldn't I be better off with a competent Pioneer system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and still give me Bluetooth calling and Pioneer AppRadio?

Sorry for the noob questions.
Old 7th June 2016, 22:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Just checked with a couple of auto accessory dealers. Although most of them seemed to be very vague on what Apple car play will eventually support, one of the folks said that for a full fledged mirroring of all apps from the iPhone to the HU, one needs to look at pioneer or JVC options starting at 45k+. There are some models which do not support full fledged mirroring but just phone dial and keypad functions and notifications. These are around the 20k mark and models include JVC 220BT etc.

I mean, why is this technology of Apple car play so expensive? Even an iPad costs way lesser! I'm going to check with Maruti dealers if we can buy off the HU thru them else going to stick with my current Bluetooth enabled JVC HU for some more time. I just don't see any value add in spending 45k for just mirroring your phone on a HU.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
I mean, why is this technology of Apple car play so expensive? Even an iPad costs way lesser! .....I just don't see any value add in spending 45k for just mirroring your phone on a HU.
Exactly my thoughts. You expressed it perfectly. I am in the market for a CarPlay system (even against my principles), only to understand the technology. But the high cost of this (mostly useless) technology has become a big barrier. In lieu of this, I ordered a tablet holder from the US, and mounted it in my car, which proved to be a a far superior solution Vs an embedded CarPlay system and its limitations. I have never understood why this half-baked technology is so expensive. Anything relevant you ask, it wont support. I will buy one when its available at 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
With the plethora of options available outside India, and the real dearth of knowledge on my part, is it possible to mirror Google Maps on any system available in India? ....Sorry for the noob questions.
There is nothing like noob questions. All are relevant questions. If you want Google Maps on dashboard, your only option is to buy Pioneer head units AVIC-F870 or F90 or something like that (check their website), which supports BOTH Android Auto and CarPlay. These are the only future-proof systems. All said and done, they also support offline navigation. They all cost between 40k-50k. If you ask me, just mount your phone in your car, and be done. Dont call or message while driving.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd June 2016 at 11:41. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote (QUOTE+) option while quoting and responding to multiple posts.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 11:17   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
If you ask me, just mount your phone in your car, and be done. Dont call or message while driving.
I think this is what Uber drivers do too. They have one smart phone with Google Maps and another basic phone for voice.

I travel and drive in Europe sometimes and found this to be a very practical solution. I got a simple smart phone with a 5" screen (Moto G) which permits me 2 SIMs. This means I can cross borders and still have data connections for Google Maps and hang the phone off the dash with a suction cup holder (see link).
http://www.amazon.in/iOttie-Touch-Mo...lder+for+phone
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 20:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Exactly my thoughts. You expressed it perfectly. I am in the market for a CarPlay system (even against my principles), only to understand the technology. But the high cost of this (mostly useless) technology has become a big barrier. In lieu of this, I ordered a tablet holder from the US, and mounted it in my car, which proved to be a a far superior solution Vs an embedded CarPlay system and its limitations. I have never understood why this half-baked technology is so expensive. Anything relevant you ask, it wont support. I will buy one when its available at .

Hey if you can share as to how you have gone ahead with the tablet mounting it would be helpful to a lot of us. So does it replace your existing HU or is is additional to what you already have? I'm really keen on getting rid of my HU and mounting a mini iPad or something like that.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 11:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Thanks Navin! I just ordered one. I am thinking of buying a phone for car itself. This is a new concept that is catching up and is billed as the future. Separate phones (not devices!) for separate circumstances.

Quote:
Hey if you can share as to how you have gone ahead with the tablet mounting it would be helpful to a lot of us. So does it replace your existing HU or is is additional to what you already have? I'm really keen on getting rid of my HU and mounting a mini iPad or something like that.
Motorworks, Please search for the following in Amazon.com.

Arkon Large Tablet Long Arm Windshield Suction Mount

I have removed it currently and hence I dont have photos, but the link in Amazon serves up all the information you need. I have done exactly whats given in that page. Honda City does not have any worthy HU to speak of, other than an 8-digit character display, but it does have brillliant iOS integration. You don't need to get rid of your HU to mount iPad or whatever tablet. That would be a big project. Just use this solution on the top of what you already have. They will serve different purposes during different times.

I will try to post some pictures soon.

Last edited by bsdbsd : 26th June 2016 at 11:33. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts - avoiding mods ire!
Old 14th July 2016, 11:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Hey if you can share as to how you have gone ahead with the tablet mounting it would be helpful to a lot of us....
Please check the attached photos of my car mount. Different combinations are possible. Hope they are helpful. Sorry for the not-so-stellar quality of images. Best I could take, given the time and the position. The arrangement is only practical, wins no points on aesthetics.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-iphone-5s-july-13-2016-092.jpg  

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-iphone-5s-july-13-2016-088.jpg  

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-iphone-5s-july-13-2016-087.jpg  

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-iphone-5s-july-13-2016-086.jpg  

Last edited by bsdbsd : 14th July 2016 at 11:46. Reason: Attachments vanished...Reattaching
Old 11th April 2017, 18:59   #55
BHPian

Re: Help with CarPlay For Hyundai Tucson

Hi ,

I own a Hyundai Tucson CrDi and it has the Apple car play built in. The issue I face is as follows;
1. The Apple Maps Icon does not show up on the screen when connected to carplay.
2. "Tune In" icon also does not show up.
I have asked the ASS to help but they are clueless

Can someone help ?
Regards,
Seacat
Old 11th April 2017, 19:52   #56
BHPian

Re: Help with CarPlay For Hyundai Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacat View Post
Hi ,

I own a Hyundai Tucson CrDi and it has the Apple car play built in. The issue I face is as follows;
1. The Apple Maps Icon does not show up on the screen when connected to carplay.
2. "Tune In" icon also does not show up.
I have asked the ASS to help but they are clueless

Can someone help ?
Regards,
Seacat
That's because Apple maps are not officially supported in India yet, driving directions do not work on phone.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 22:32   #57
Team-BHP Support

Apple recently announced and launched a bunch of things at the Worldwide Developer Conference earlier this week.

One feature as part of Apple CarPlay in iOS 11 is the "Do not Disturb while Driving":

Quote:
The feature, called "Do Not Disturb While Driving," will be part of Apple's iOS 11, a new version of the operating software for Apple mobile devices.

Whenever the phone is connected to a car using either Bluetooth or a cable, or if the car is moving, the phone will withhold any notifications for things like text messages or news updates.

If someone does text you while you're driving, the phone can respond with an automatic message telling them you're driving and can't respond just now.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/05/tech...ing/index.html
Old 7th June 2017, 01:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Apple recently announced and launched a bunch of things at the Worldwide Developer Conference earlier this week.

One feature as part of Apple CarPlay in iOS 11 is the "Do not Disturb while Driving":

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/05/tech...ing/index.html
Some how they call this innovation which to me it's super lame . Android auto had it from day 1.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 20:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Some how they call this innovation which to me it's super lame . Android auto had it from day 1.
Apple Carplay itself is a very lame feature. Not sure why it's hyped so much. I say this with utmost-responsibility, as I happen to work as a developer on this stuff. There are only a handful apps you can use, as Apple limits what can be offered under Carplay.

As an Indian user, Apple Maps for example leaves a lot to be desired. But you can't use the better-performing Google maps, simply because Apple doesn't want you to. As for other standard apps, who finds it convenient to type messages on a screen held at 90 degrees to our fingers, holding our hands against gravity! Absolutely un-ergonomic way to send a text..

The Phone app too doesn't have anything great to offer, over the user-interface offered by non-carplay enabled systems.
torquehead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2017, 23:21   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquehead View Post
As for other standard apps, who finds it convenient to type messages on a screen held at 90 degrees to our fingers, holding our hands against gravity! Absolutely un-ergonomic way to send a text..
I stand corrected here. One needs to rely on Siri to do the typing as Apple hasn't provided a typing-interface for the user. Even bad as we all know how bad Siri is, but Apple has managed to take care of the physical pain..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks