Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2017, 10:31   #61
BHPian

Re: Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Some how they call this innovation which to me it's super lame . Android auto had it from day 1.
Android (Linux in a general sense) had a lot of things from day 1 which others also implemented and called it innovation.

Android also does take inspiration but at least it is not presented in a gimmicky way by Google.
Old 19th August 2017, 01:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

I spend nearly 2 hours in my car every day and have been contemplating on buying a new Pioneer HU 2090BT as a replacement to my existing JVC 2 din Bluetooth set.

My main need is calls and other phone usages like reading messages or WhatsApp etc. But in the current form Apple car play is largely limited to phone, music and messaging.

So are there any plans of additional apps to the CarPlay ecosystem like google maps etc?

Secondly how does APP RADIO mode work in pioneer? The dealer tells me you can actually play even subscribed You tube videos thru app radio?
Old 18th January 2018, 13:03   #63
Team-BHP Support

BMW to Charge $80/Year Subscription Fee to Use Apple CarPlay

http://www.iclarified.com/64177/bmw-...-apple-carplay

Quote:
BMW is planning to charge an $80/year subscription fee to use Apple CarPlay in its vehicles, reports The Verge. Currently, the company charges a one time fee of $300 for the option.
Are they nuts or what? when it is free by others why the heck would they try to pull a fast one with this?
Old 18th January 2018, 13:15   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
when it is free by others why the heck would they try to pull a fast one with this?
Looks they are trying to emulate the success of subscription-based services from IT The logic being, instead of spending $ 300 as an optional extra, customers who can pay on Yearly basis depending on requirement. Conceptually this is Ok but as a customer, I don't see a value, that's because $ 300 is too little to save while buying the car & $ 80 is too much for something as basic as Carplay. It could have worked if say, initial costs were $ 1500 and a monthly subscription is $ 10-20 with some other stuff like Spotify/ Apple Music subscription or real-time navigation inbuilt.

Maybe they will improve but its shows car manufacturers looking at subsidizing hardware costs with subscription models in future for value-added features.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th January 2018 at 13:19.
Old 5th March 2018, 12:23   #65
BHPian

Hi

I am looking for an Apple Car Play supported 7" touchscreen system for my Renault Captur. My requirements are the system should support apple car play bluetooth and Radio. I do not want a CD player or a DVD etc.

I have seen a couple of units the Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT and the Sony XAV-AX100,both retail for around 25K.

I want one within 15k. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Old 5th March 2018, 14:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
Hi

I am looking for an Apple Car Play supported 7" touchscreen system for my Renault Captur. My requirements are the system should support apple car play bluetooth and Radio. I do not want a CD player or a DVD etc.

I have seen a couple of units the Pioneer AVH-Z5090BT and the Sony XAV-AX100,both retail for around 25K.

I want one within 15k. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
I doubt you will get anything south of 25K. If you do please let me know. However Sony XAV-AX100 is very nice unit for Android Auto as well as car play. Even though the screen is resistive type, the response time is good and UI is also very intuitive. Just keep in mind, when ever carrying out firmware update use only USB 2.0 pen drive since USB 3.0 is not compatible for firmware update however there is no problem in reading media from the same.
Old 5th June 2018, 14:30   #67
Team-BHP Support

GoogleMaps and waze support in Car Play with ios 12 update

Good News for the cars equipped only with CarPlay like from BMW.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/04/...gle-maps-waze/
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 10:38   #68
BHPian

Apple CarPlay getting design refresh and better Siri support in iOS 13.

Quote:
In iOS 13, CarPlay will get a new dashboard that can show multiple apps in a single view, like Maps and Music. Apple is updating the CarPlay calendar app to include more relevant information, and the Music app to more prominently feature album art, favorites, and new music discovery.

Quote:
CarPlay will gain a number of compatibility and usability improvements in iOS 13, too. One major update is that opening an app on the connected phone won’t trigger the app to open in CarPlay.

Link
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 10:27   #69
BHPian

Reviving this old thread to learn / share tips and tricks to extarct more from Apple Carplay

Current setup : 2020 Hyundai Apple carplay enabled infotainment system
Device used : Stand alone iPhone 5S (Spare unit) without sim card
Network connection : Personal Hotspot
Apps : Google maps, Waze

Would like to know which apps TBhpians use to increase on-route efficiency / productivity.
Old 18th May 2020, 19:03   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Would like to know which apps TBhpians use to increase on-route efficiency / productivity.
Podcasts are an amazing way to learn new things and improve knowledge. Better than music in my opinion. You should find out what you like. There are unlimited channels and options there.

Also Apple Maps is more reliable than Google Maps in routing unless you are trying to find a specific address that is not there on Apple Maps. Google Maps is currently too aggressive on saving some imaginary time and re-routes you into trouble. Apple's rerouting is more conservative and chooses larger roads. The best routing is still MapMyIndia in my personal opinion as it totally ignores the small routes for cars. MapMyIndia has "avoid small roads" as an option.

Last edited by ohaak : 18th May 2020 at 19:06.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

For people who want a wireless apple car play experience

https://carplay2air.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-screenshot_20200606145711_whatsapp.jpg  

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-screenshot_20200606145732_whatsapp.jpg  

Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 19:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
For people who want a wireless apple car play experience

https://carplay2air.com/

Have you tried this yet?
I had started a thread yesterday on the same device, so wondering if you have tried the same and your experience on that?
Old 6th June 2020, 19:39   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hello Vicky, I've not bought it. My friend shared this. Yes just found your thread. In fact I'm looking for a similar device for android auto. Any clue?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 6th June 2020 at 19:43.
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Apple CarKey Announced debuts on the 2021 BMW 5 Series.

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-smartselect_20200623010705_chrome.jpg

During the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, the tech giant announced CarKey as a new feature coming to iOS 14. The first vehicle supporting this feature is the newly refreshed 2021 BMW 5 Series.

CarKey uses near field communication (NFC), and an owner needs to hold an iPhone or Apple Watch near a portion of the door for this system to work. The person needs to authenticate their identity using either Face ID or Touch ID, and then the vehicle unlocks.CarKey also lets an owner share the digital key with other people through a message.

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-smartselect_20200623010727_chrome.jpg

A power reserve function lets CarKey continue to function for up to five hours after an iPhone shuts off due to a low charge.
iPhone users should be able to get it around September.

Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-smartselect_20200623010756_chrome.jpg

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/04...tion-released/

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd June 2020 at 01:12.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 13:37   #75

Car Play

I own a Volvo V40 R Design D3 car. The in car infotainment screen does not connect to Google maps. One has to install Volvos own software which, though outdated, costs about a lakh of Rupees. I would like to know the name of any garage that would be capable enough to do the change and install a new infotainment screen, preferably in Eastern India. Necessary hardware will be provided by me. The dealer does not want to take up the job. Basically I want to access Car Play in the screen or at least a mirror of my android on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Apple's CarPlay iOS Info System-volvo.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks