Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2006, 11:32   #1
Team-BHP Support

Pioneer 6850 + JBL 606CE + GTO 636e + CS60.4+ GTO100B+ Harmann Kardon Drive +Play

“Is that a GPS system?” said the pretty aunty in the Wagon R chasing me up the ramps in Garuda Mall.

Hmmmm, “nope. It’s my ipod controller (spoken with a slightly superior geekish tone)”

“I told you it was for that uncle’s ipod” chipped a young voice”

Bummer, (trust there to be a kid somewhere!)– “it should jolly well be!” said my wife who I was meeting in Garuda!

Another day, another time !

“i-drive idha?”said my neighbour’s driver looking at the contoller (he drives the previous version BMW 740)

Well the Harmann Kardon D+P seems to be a great talking point. Main plus is the screen which tells you what is playing. It looks very dramatic at night especially with the controller lit up. Luckily, the HU is also blue, so is the car so it poses well.

Heck, this was a coincidence. The Drive+Play rocks, one can select albums without diverting hands too far away from controls. Main issue is that if you have a long list, then scrolling down is a mega issue as it is ……….slow. That’s what play lists are for buddy!

When it was first set up, it was connected by FM and believe me, it sucked big time. Alternator whine, eddy current whine for the display joined in Celine Dion’s whining further. It was time to hard wire it to the HU. This meant looking for a BUS cable in Singapore. Went to SimLim square twice but alas most car audio folks have moved to the ‘burbs. So ordered it on ebay and received it promptly within a week.

The sound was transformed. Clarity better than the CD. BTW, am stone deaf by Navin’s standards but some residual senses remain

Costs: Uncle Sam will sell you one for Rs 15000 or so. I saved by ordering on Amazon and getting a little old lady to bring it over from the States

Why did I not get a Pio interface ? Well I read reports that it was slow and fiddly and that it does not display the entire details

Any other irritations? ipod plays on if I switch the HU off - integration has its limits.

Pioneer 6850 HU

Not totally satisfied on this but can live with it. Too many preset sounds. Very difficult to tune sound on the fly so adjustment is an off-road experience – either when driving or not driving. Managed to optimize the sound. Not too user intuitive. My techno-phobic wife just about understands how to switch it on. Alpine was pricey but I understand why now. Bluapunkt might have been another option but Pritam did not stock it.

The JBL stuff! JBL 606CE + GTO 636e + CS60.4+ GTO100B

To calibrate, I play mainly Moby, a bit of Hancock, Clapton. Daughter currently listening to Madonna or Joss Stone– so a diverse requirement.

Keeping this in mind, the sound quality rocks, the quality is unbeatable in my luddite mind. It really shows up my Honda in terms of high end clarity although a little more mid range would be better. Am not sure whether the tweeters are too highly mounted after seeing Uncle Rudy's car transformed.
More a Pio HU issue some say.

Sub - The GTO100B is well suited. Makes the music crisp without drowning everything in Bass and one does not get a headache. I tried the 1200T from the Honda but it took up all the space and there was no air to thump! Without the sub, the system sounds tinny, indifferent…………….hmmmmmmmmm………imagine Sam without hair, tattoo’s. Won't get the character through

Last edited by ajmat : 8th July 2006 at 16:49.
Old 8th July 2006, 13:39   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for making me smile this weekend Ajit. That is very very well written. What is it with Old men from bangalore and their penchant for writing?
Wonderful, you get my both my thumbs up (and thats not only for your choice of products )
One small correction though - I think you mean GTO1000B bass box.

Have a great musical weekend.
Old 8th July 2006, 14:52   #3
BANNED

Pioneer 6850 is not very much different from 7750. So it should sound good. The experts say Alpines sound more better (But I have'nt yet agreed with this).

So, I think dude! Your Pioneer is a good system. And dont worry too much of what others have to say. If you like the sound, That's it! You've reached Utopia!

Is there any rattling sounds from the door pads? I've heard many complaining about this in swifts!
Old 8th July 2006, 17:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat

“Is that a GPS system?” said the pretty aunty in the Wagon R chasing me up the ramps in Garuda Mall.
Gotta get me one of these! The iPod attachment thing, I mean...
Old 8th July 2006, 17:15   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Gotta get me one of these! The iPod attachment thing, I mean...
You like aunties, l'il boy??????!!!!
Old 10th July 2006, 09:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
...That is very very well written. What is it with Old men from bangalore and their penchant for writing?.
THey dont have their tounges mixed up in Hindi and Marathi. I left the country to dodge them. Now my English is ridiculed and my Hindi and Marathi is stuff of legend.
Old 10th July 2006, 09:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
THey dont have their tounges mixed up in Hindi and Marathi. I left the country to dodge them. Now my English is ridiculed and my Hindi and Marathi is stuff of legend.
Imagine that + gujju + italian then you have Sam
Old 10th July 2006, 09:50   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Imagine that + gujju + italian then you have Sam
Sam is an exception to this rule. In fact Sam is an exception to ALL rules. Think about it Ajit. On this earth will you find another Sam?
Old 10th July 2006, 10:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam is an exception to this rule. In fact Sam is an exception to ALL rules. Think about it Ajit. On this earth will you find another Sam?

hmmmm, Eritrea or hell ?
Old 10th July 2006, 10:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Been there (Eritrea) no there is no Sam there but love their beer, beaches, and food.
Hell maybe but they'd spit him out for fear he'd take over. :-)
Ajit, I take it you understand Tigrinya?

Last edited by navin : 10th July 2006 at 10:46.
Old 10th July 2006, 13:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

You guys.... lol

Navin, I believe i must have told Ajit (must be over a drink i presume, because i cannot remember when) where my family is from.
The Kapasi's are from Eritrea, Asmara to be precise, which was an italian colony. Still have family in Eritrea, tanzania and some went to Italy. When they left they came to gujarat.

The end result of this is that my family speaks Italian and gujarati. No english. Tigrinya is more spoken on th Ethiopian border, but owing to Benito Mussolini and his italian colony, Italian is still widely spoken in Asmara. My older uncles and aunts understand it a bit, but since they were all educated in italian, are more comfortable reading and speaking that.

Every time i travel anywhere, i carry italian newspapers and magazines for my family, they miss having other people that speak it too. Thats why i did a 3 year course in italian and yes, I speak it too
Old 10th July 2006, 13:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sam, congratulazioni sulla World Cup...
Old 10th July 2006, 13:45   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Grazie mio Amico, sorro come un pazzo.

Amo questo gioco. Forza!!
Old 10th July 2006, 13:55   #14
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Sam Kapasi]

Navin, I believe i must have told Ajit (must be over a drink i presume, because i cannot remember when) QUOTE]

The old man and I were told a lot more than you remember
Old 10th July 2006, 15:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi

The Kapasi's are from Eritrea, Asmara to be precise, which was an italian colony.
Asmara is the only place in Eritrea I saw Italians (or Europeans of any kind). Asmara for Eritrea is like Mumbai for India.

I am surpsirsed that anyone in India would know the existance of this country. I only ended up there while chasing a girl (before I got married).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks