Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2006, 11:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thanks B&T, Speedzak, Kureti, JK, SAM and others

I prefer SQ over SPL (courtesy ICE Glossary thread but at the same time most of the times I listen to Hip-hop, Rock, etc, and love pants flapping bass... So I need few more inputs to make my decision

Q1. What will give better bang for the buck - Spending more on Speaker or spending more on amplifier?
a) In case of Components/Co-ax vs Amp for same and
b) In case of Subwoofer vs Amp for same
(I read that human ear is very less sensitive to low frequencies, so does quality really matter beyond a point, or is it just a function of how loud, tight/loose it is?)

Q2. If we say Speakers and Amps are like cars, so which will be your picks for
B Segment (i.e. Swift Category - Best bang for buck, best in class)
C segment and (i.e. Honda City category - Balance of Practicality and Luxary, best in class)
D segment (i.e. Accord category - Affordable Luxury, best in class)

To clarify at expense of repeating, I am not looking for speakers/amps for these cars (Swift/City/Accord), I am looking at similar price to value positioning...

I am sure this table would help many BHPians in making their ICE decision by mixing and matching.
Request Gurus to give their recommendations by filling up the following format...

Components
(recommendation / price)
Category B -
Category C -
Category D -

Co - Axials
(recommendation / price)
Category B -
Category C -
Category D -

Amp for Components & Co-axials(recommendation / price)
Category B -
Category C -
Category D -

Subwoofer(recommendation / price)
Category B -
Category C -
Category D -

Amp for Subwoofer(recommendation / price)
Category B -
Category C -
Category D -

Note I am excluding A Segment (M800 - Pure economy), E segment (Audi A8 - pure luxury), and other exotic classes :o)
Old 19th July 2006, 13:00   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, but it is a BIG no-no to make the same post twice in 2 different threads. please do not do that.
Old 19th July 2006, 14:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Folks, wasn;t aware of that!
Posted it first here and then later thought the same will be useful for everybody....

Request Moderator to remove it from one of the two threads...

SAM waiting for your response please.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:20   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Thanks B&T, Speedzak, Kureti, JK, SAM and others
Q1. What will give better bang for the buck - Spending more on Speaker or spending more on amplifier?
Q2. If we say Speakers and Amps are like cars, so which will be your picks
Q1. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link so mating a Rs. 1K amp to 1L speakers or vice versa will not give you the best value for money. that said there are many components that are complimentary for example laid back speakers might sound nicer with a sweeter sounding HU than a laid back HU.

Q2. Making a list of recomendations will lead to a flame war or atleast some major disagreements. I would suggest you ask a more precise query and the guru's can answer that.
Old 19th July 2006, 15:41   #35
BANNED

I think that segment wise question format looks good. But it just wont be easy to answer those and I dont think you should go over this process for your audio needs. And the answers we can give is according to our experiences and tastes. It'll very much vary from every individual. And as NavinJi said: it'll cause a lot of disagreements etc...

You should browse a bit thru different shops and experience different speakers, cars etc.. and you'll be more focused on your needs. And you'll be able to make specific questions in the forum too.

When a Person has a budget of S class with him, there's no point in counting cars from 800. Rather, he should just look at the class which suits him. Same Vice Versa! And once he sits down in a car of his needs, he'll be able to count the shortcomings and plus points of that certain car. So, I would definitely ask you once again to hear some speakers amps etc.. and be more specific.

Go to some car audio shops when they're sitting yawning with not much work to do (Possibly monday mornings??) and speak the shop guy into hooking up different amps and speakers and listen to the stuff. It'll help you a lot.

NavinJi says to believe your ears only and not something from others' ears.
I am warning you: It is very much the truth!

(Ask me! for I have burnt some fingers for plainly listening to others without using my own ears!!!! )

Last edited by speedzak : 19th July 2006 at 15:43.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Speedzak, Navin
Very valid point... believe your ears...

But since the systems will sound very different outside, as in when fitted in the car, and then again different cars will have different accoustics, how do I check ? Please guide...
Further, each shop recommends something different and based on settings the systems sound different :(

Meanwhile I am trying to identify few Team BHPians who can show me their installs (in Bangalore) and give me unbiased advice...
Old 24th July 2006, 15:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to gurus for your inputs...
I am glad to be a part of this forum to now know so much about cars and car audio in particular.

After reading thru all recomendations and putting lot of thoughts, I have decided to go for the following setup...
  • 6.5" components in front
  • 6.5" co-axials in rear
  • A 4 channel amp to power the above two
  • A 12" sub
  • A monobloc amp to power the Sub
  • Decent connection cords (i never knew wires can be so expensive)
Now, what would be my best bet in 30k budget (incl installation)...

Note: I have already upped my budget from 15k (when I started this thread) to 30k now, can't afford even a paisa more
I read the warning before entering this forum but kind of ignored it at my own risk

Last edited by ST7677 : 24th July 2006 at 16:03.
Old 24th July 2006, 16:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to gurus for your inputs...
I am glad to be a part of this forum to now know so much about cars and car audio in particular.

After reading thru all recomendations and putting lot of thoughts, I have decided to go for the following setup...
  • 6.5" components in front
  • 6.5" co-axials in rear
  • A 4 channel amp to power the above two
  • A 12" sub
  • A monobloc amp to power the Sub
  • Decent connection cords (i never knew wires can be so expensive)
Now, what would be my best bet in 30k budget (incl installation)...

Note: I have already upped my budget from 15k (when I started this thread) to 30k now, can't afford even a paisa more
I read the warning before entering this forum but kind of ignored it at my own risk
I doubt you will be able to get the Mono amp with that budget alongwith the other stuff.

Components would be around 6-7k, co-axials around 3-4k, 4-ch amp around 7-8k & 12" sub around 4-5k. This is about 23-24k, so you might have to settle for a decent 2-ch amp & then you also have to budget for cables, enclosure, install etc..
Old 24th July 2006, 16:37   #39
BHPian

With this budget u cant buy everyhting u mentioned unless if u go for 'desi' amplifier.

I will suggest
Pioneer HU 9000
Compo+coax speakers 9000
Pio6100 amplifier 7000
Keep rest for subw+wires+intsall+box
Power rear coax from HU and use 2 channels of amplifier for subw in bridges mode.

If u really want subw then i strongly advise to leave out rear coax [3k] and buy better wires.
Old 24th July 2006, 17:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr
With this budget u cant buy everyhting u mentioned unless if u go for 'desi' amplifier.
I will suggest
Pioneer HU 9000
RSJ - I think he doesn't plan on changing the HU!

Quote:
HAHAHAHA LOL

Last edited by iraghava : 24th July 2006 at 17:08.
Old 24th July 2006, 17:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

• 6.5" components in front : 6.5~7.5k
  • 6.5" co-axials in rear : 5k
  • A 4 channel amp to power the above two : 7k ( or sony/jvc one @ 4.5k)
  • A 12" sub : emm, boxed/IB??? 3.5k ~ 8k
  • A monobloc amp to power the Sub : 10k to 13k ( or a 2 channel amp @ 5-6k )
  • Decent connection cords (i never knew wires can be so expensive) : 2k for RCA

OT!

I happened to see some pix/review of the Civic in a mag. They say teh HU is a good one and frm the pix, it looked like one cant replace the HU. Is that so?

Last edited by jkdas : 24th July 2006 at 17:25.
Old 24th July 2006, 17:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
OT!

I happened to see some pix/review of the Civic in a mag. They say teh HU is a good one and frm the pix, it looked like one cant replace the HU. Is that so?
I too think that's the case JK. When I had TD'ed the car it seemed that the unit was integrated with the dashboard. Maybe one of the Guru's would be able to elaborate better.

And waise bhi if you can't remove the HU there's a simpler solution. Simply call the chap from Mumbai who did the install in the SL55 and he will install a nice Pioneer in the glove box!!Lafde ki koi baat hi nahin hai!!!

Last edited by iraghava : 24th July 2006 at 17:30.
Old 24th July 2006, 18:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt you will be able to get the Mono amp with that budget alongwith the other stuff.
I know it is difficult, and hence looking at gurus to solve...

What if monobloc is replaced with a
Dedicated regular amp for the sub?

Also is it a good idea to look at grey market? Where is it in Bangalore?
Old 24th July 2006, 19:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

nice one iraghava.lol

and yes yo can get a 2 channel and bridge it to run your sub as I haev mentioned in my config list. a 2 channel JBL CS series amp runs in bridged mode to power teh tube in Rudra' car.
Old 24th July 2006, 19:37   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
the chap from Mumbai who did the install in the SL55 and he will install a nice Pioneer in the glove box!!Lafde ki koi baat hi nahin hai!!!
heheh... no T-BHPIAN should go to the guy who commited that sacrilege!!

Quote:
Also is it a good idea to look at grey market? Where is it in Bangalore?
Generally most of the car accessory guys stock equipment available at "grey market" rates.... Otherwise common products like Pioneer/Sony HU's, speakers and even some amplifiers to an extent are available from National Market. Though your just better off striking a deal with the installer you goto for your entire setup so you can go back in case of a problem.. National Market guys not to be trusted unless you have a good source!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks