Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2006, 10:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lancer - Audiobahn Install

Got the install done day before y'day. Its NOT COMPLETE yet, still have to do the damping and mount the amps on the side. So this is more like a temporary thing. Also having a tough time tuning that A8000T amp. Since the install had only got over at around 12.30 at night or so, will have to do the rest on Sunday.

Last edited by karthik247 : 20th July 2006 at 10:18.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions on damping would be very helpful, as of now, i'll have to damp the whole boot and the quarter panals. There is just a L-O-T of jarring at the moment.
Old 20th July 2006, 10:45   #3
BANNED

Nice job man!

That box looks monsterous! Hope the boot door can hold by itself when those BAHNs pump like anything!

Some points here:
1. The Install could be made a lot cleaner. Especially the wiring looks a bit unclean. It can be made more attractive.
2. Consider putting your amps in a plexiglass enclosure and dress it up with some fancy neons or LEDs and it'll look very much evil!
3. The hole in the back shelf. It can be covered using some attractive mesh grill. Just make sure the grill is not very closely knit type.
4. Put pics of the speakers, components and HU also.
5. Type in your whole ICE setup as it will be very much helpful for people looking at similar setups.

Enjoy the Bass!
Old 20th July 2006, 10:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the hole will be covered with a grill or mesh.

The installer planned to mount the amps on the sides onto a custom made plywood(?). Never thought of plexiglass.

Wiring is left as such, cuz any we'll have to pull it out on Sunday while re-installing the amps

Bass is very heavy and just as i want it.....Finally!!
Amp is amazing, very powerful. Only thing is its hard to get the tuning right.

Last edited by karthik247 : 20th July 2006 at 11:02.
Old 20th July 2006, 11:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

HU
Pioneer 6850

Amps
Audiobahn A8000T and Pioneer 944

Speakers
Audiobahn As76Q - 6x9 Coaxials
Audiobahn Compos on the way...but for now have an old pair of compos

Woofers
Audiobahn Aw122N x 2 in custom enclosure

Last edited by karthik247 : 20th July 2006 at 11:15.
Old 20th July 2006, 11:04   #6
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Karthik I like your setup!!
You have some space left in the boot is that enough to remove your spare tyre??
If no what should you do in such a case??

Also what will be cost of whole setup??
Old 20th July 2006, 11:04   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247
Yes, the hole will be covered with a grill or mesh.

The installer planned to mount the amps on the sides onto a custom made plywood(?). Never thought of plexiglass.

Wiring is left as such, cuz any we'll have to pull it out on Sunday, so that the whole setup is completed.

Bass is very heavy and just as i want it.....Finally!!
Amp is amazing, very powerful. Only thing is its hard to get the tuning right.
Amps will look good on the sides too. and will leave the floor free.

Tuning the Amps can be sorted out if you can drive down to Cochin! or get JK for help!
Old 20th July 2006, 11:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

JK tried and tried y'day............ He wanted a voltmeter i think in the end.
Yea...planning to drive down to get the damping as well. I sms'd u..
Old 20th July 2006, 11:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK
You have some space left in the boot is that enough to remove your spare tyre??
If no what should you do in such a case??
Boot tyre 'can' be removed, but will take a bit of struggling to do. The big enclosure box can be removed as the wires can be disconnected easily. But since the whole box weighs a good 20kilos, it ain't gonna be easy.
Old 20th July 2006, 11:13   #10
BANNED

Quote:
HU
Pioneer 6850

Amps
Audiobahn A8000T and Pioneer 944

Speakers
Audiobahn As76Q - 6x9 Coaxials

Woofers
Audiobahn Aw122N x 2 in custom enclosure

MAN!!!
What happened to the front sound stage??
Old 20th July 2006, 11:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Suggestions on damping would be very helpful, as of now, i'll have to damp the whole boot and the quarter panals. There is just a L-O-T of jarring at the moment.
Check rear deck, amp mounts, sub cabinet mount and only then look at the quarter panel. Best way is to run system and firmly put your hand on the cabinet, rear deck, amps, panels and damp everything that stop reverbrating when you hold it.
Old 20th July 2006, 11:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Mainly the vibrating is form the boot door, spoiler and the numberplate. So i guess if the boot door is done nicely, it should sound ok. Right now can't exately say from where all the noise is comming. Maybe after the boot damping will know about the rest.

The guys here told they'll use some waste, dunlop mat/foam(?), plywood and finish it off with carpet. Sounds ok?????
Old 20th July 2006, 12:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

alright, here I am.

1) The damn amp can be used to make bulls-eye and sort
2) The tuning is tough when you haev to subs firing at you and when you are holding the stainless steel frying pan amp.
3) My ears were booming for 30min after I left his home. Prefer my ICE. His setup is not of my taste and I think long drives with heavy metal songs will make you deaf for sure.
4) Wiring is BAD!!!

Ok, knw what? to each terminal of sub goes a pair ( yah yah a pair) of wire! ***! Dont you think this is wrong?

5) Front are JBL 506Ce

6) Frnt would be powered frm 944 along with the 6x9 soon.

7) he wants bang bang boom boom bhhomm frm rear. ( read no mid, no trebble, just boooommmmmmmm bommmmmmmmm)

8) The back shelf is left intact. Should he get it cut?

9) The ports (2 nos) is on top of the box and its almost below the metal sheet of the rear panel.

10) The LPF at HU is set to 80Hz and on teh mono too at almost same freq.

11) I was thinking of gettig a DVM to tune the damn thing as I talk for hrs over phne with my gf and hence needs my ears.

Last edited by jkdas : 20th July 2006 at 12:04.
Old 20th July 2006, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yea that amp gets bloody hot..that'll it'll burn ur hands if u touch it directly :(

And do i need damping inside the box too?
Old 20th July 2006, 12:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boot tyre 'can' be removed, but will take a bit of struggling to do. The big enclosure box can be removed as the wires can be disconnected easily. But since the whole box weighs a good 20kilos, it ain't gonna be easy.
Hi Karthik! Good Looking Install. Particularly like the fact that the cutouts on the enclosure for the subs have not been centered with respect to each internally individual enclosure. This avoids the center(s) of pressure inside the enclosure from coinciding with the subwoofer's axis. Good thinking on the part of whoever made the enclosure. For aesthetic reasons probably, most people end up cutting holes exactly in the center.

The 122N's growl menacingly even with low input power. Try not to engage bass boost on the amplifier, or it becomes too rumbly. I wouldn't push those guys to play anything over 80 Hz either.

Why haven't you installed the subs upside down? I.e. with the subs firing inwards, and the magnets showing outwards. Thats a popular format with Audiobahn users, and looks cool. There is no implication sound-wise. Just make sure to reverse polarity on both subs' voice coils.

Don't complicate things by putting materials like plywood on the trunk lid. Increasing the weight reduces the life of the shock absorbers. Dynamat has a number plate kit, or you could easily cut and stick a Wurth mat or two, the size of the number plate on it's back and screw the plate back on. Advisable to use Wurth or Dynamat on the trunk lid insides as well. Although you might not hear it now, but I'm sure the side walls of the trunk must be flexing too. Better to treat it rightaway before things get out of hand.

Most Viewed