Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2006, 12:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

souljah I agree with u this is the best answer I have got from anyone in this forum no this and that only the facts are given.......Good going tool.
Old 22nd July 2006, 15:07   #17
BHPian

yo lbm,,,
so u r now judging people,, as to who is giving better answers,, judge saab,, or we should call u llb instead of lbm,,,
regards,,
driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
souljah I agree with u this is the best answer I have got from anyone in this forum no this and that only the facts are given.......Good going tool.
Old 22nd July 2006, 15:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool
hello bro.. umm i have a optima red top in my car.. had a yellow top but thats in my dad's car now.. currently running the red top RT34.. now ull be asking why did you downgrade... ?? well its simple.. deep cycle is good for stand still playing... deep cycle means that the battey will be able to handle being almost toally discharged again and again better than a red top or what is a Starter battery..
but... if you look at the CCA.. ( cold cranking amperage) .. in simple terms.. CCA is the amount of power available at 1 time when you crank your engine to start..( this takes a huge amount of power)but on looking at the website ..you will notice that the CCA of the redtop is higher.. which is what is required when your system pulls a lot of power.. CCA.. thats the key... the yellow top only makes sense if you plan to park and play your music loud without running your car( not recommended for multi amp systems)... if that is your requirment then sure.. go for yellow top then.. but so far even with my kinda load.. after i upgraded the BIG 3 .. i dont have any problems.. nor can i make out a difference in the voltage.. basically what i am saying is i dont see a difference.. even if this might look like a DOWNgrade hehehe but dont see a difference at all.... hope this helped...

P.s.. gurus please feel free to correct me if i said something stupid hehehehe
BOOM

Hey tool, not stupid at all. Makes sense. Just some anomalies as usual.

Cold cranking amps is defined as...

Cold Cranking Amps is a rating used in the battery industry to define a battery's ability to start an engine in cold temperatures. The rating is the number of amps a new, fully charged battery can deliver at 0° Farenheit for 30 seconds, while maintaining a voltage of at least 7.2 volts, for a 12 volt battery. The higher the CCA rating, the greater the starting power of the battery.

While this is great if your abode is in the Himalayas and your diesel 4x4 draws enough power to light up Vatican City, it sure isn't the best option for car audio. And here I say 'best', better it sure is.

Car Audio, if you may kindly agree, is a prolonged load on the electricals and charging system. Although there are transients in music, these can in no way be compared to the drastic momentary load when cranking at sub-zero temperatures. The average sustained load on the battery is higher with a decent car stereo playing, and the peaks (when compared to the average load), will be easily accomodated even by a deep cycling battery. And it doesn't have to do it for 30 sec, for God's sake!!

In the car audio department, a deep cycle battery will simply cream a cranking battery. It's not just about standing still and blowing your doors off. They simply supply more power for longer periods of time, and recharge back to nominal voltage on charging, without sustaining plate damage etc, period. That is the basis of calling it deep cycle. So advantage is on your side if you have the added bonus of running your engine while you're playing the system too. This way, the difference between draw and charging is lesser and you can keep going for hours at end, and just switch the stereo off a few miles before you get to your neighbourhood, and let the baby get back to it's spanking charged state.

I'll tell you my personal experience. My car is a beat-up 92 model Tata Sierra with 2 Optima D34YTs. Why two? I want longer reserve time, anyway that's a different story. Once, the car developed a short in the alternator's cut-out/ rectifier and the bloody batteries got grounded. Not only did I have some seriously burnt terminal on the cut-out, but the batteries discharged to the extent that I would not even get a feeble ignition light when I turned the key. The car wouldn't even push-start, because there wasn't even enough power to activate the fuel switch! I got the cut-out fixed, jump-started with a friend's car battery, and within half an hour of driving around, I regained full battery voltage. And the engine cranks like the batteries were new. That is what deep-cycle is capable of. Although I'd love to try that on a RT, if someone gave me one on a returnable basis for testing, hee hee!
Old 22nd July 2006, 15:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

B&T

Yup... YT it is!! ... cant wait to get mine!
Old 22nd July 2006, 15:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
B&T

Yup... YT it is!! ... cant wait to get mine!
Arrey KB bhaisahab , you seriously need to curb your shopping enthusiasm... last time I checked, a 70A YT retailed for around 15k here...

I guess I need to have a chat with the lady of the house... Yeah, I can't wait for you to get your's too...
Old 22nd July 2006, 16:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

.. Well... YA.. but a lil birdies tellz me my poor ICE is going to really get BAJAOOo...ED .... hence YT seems inevitable... MY OEM batt has lasted since April 2003... am guessing it will not last too long under the assault...

And me found me a dude who quoted 11k for the same... ... from the company!... at a local exhibition...
Old 22nd July 2006, 16:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
.. Well... YA.. but a lil birdies tellz me my poor ICE is going to really get BAJAOOo...ED .... hence YT seems inevitable... MY OEM batt has lasted since April 2003... am guessing it will not last too long under the assault...

And me found me a dude who quoted 11k for the same... ... from the company!... at a local exhibition...
Lil_Birdies_Makker. yyyyaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

There are 3 YT models that are easily available. D55,D34 and D31. D31 is rather large and difficult to accomodate in most small/ mid-size cars. D34 can be pried in. D55 is a bit low on specs. 11k is a good price in India for a D34, too much for a D55 and like charity for a D31!!

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 22nd July 2006 at 16:23.
Old 22nd July 2006, 16:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble

There are 3 YT models that are easily available. D55,D34 and D31. D31 is rather large and difficult to accomodate in most small/ mid-size cars. D34 can be pried in. D55 is a bit low on specs. 11k is a good price in India for a D34, too much for a D55 and like charity for a D31!!
D51, not D55. Sorry, I was smoking.
Old 22nd July 2006, 16:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble

...SEE.. BAAAAAAAAAD MAN B&T ... Simply getting me into trouble!.. I said nuthin of the sort!.. In fact YT has been on my agenda for vedy vedy long... even stared a thread for it in another section....
Old 23rd July 2006, 02:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Tool aka shatul ? Heheh... thanks mate your explanation was plain and simple to get through too
Especially since you have used the batteries in question and experienced the effects firsthand.
Spot on post !!!

Thanks again everyone.
heheh.. hey bro .. yep.. aka shatul... bingo...
heheh have we met bro ? how did you know ?? heheh anyways.. hello
Old 11th September 2008, 21:25   #26
BHPian

Extra battery for ICE?

I read in few earlier threads,Fitting an extra battery to the ICE.Can someone please explain whether it is mandatory to fix another battery.Also how do you connect the second battery.Please throw some light on this topic
Old 14th September 2008, 15:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
I read in few earlier threads,Fitting an extra battery to the ICE.Can someone please explain whether it is mandatory to fix another battery.Also how do you connect the second battery.Please throw some light on this topic
Hi! kedarwalke!! i would say, a nice query from your side. Even i wanted to know about this thing, like how you put in the new battery,wiring it,appropriate location and so on. Guru's you have to shed some light now on this. Eagerly waiting.
Old 14th September 2008, 19:11   #28
BHPian

I think you would have to put it in the boot. And I don't think it's really required unless you have super powerful setup.
Old 14th September 2008, 21:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Not always necessary to fit an extra battery. Upgrading the existing battery to a deep cycle battery is the simplest solution for high power systems.
Old 14th September 2008, 21:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

kedarwalke what setup do you have and why do feel to go another battery ?

Most Viewed