Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2006, 10:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

I bought my Pio 1280 changer for 7.5k . but that was about 2 years ago..
Old 27th July 2006, 10:36   #17
BHPian

missing of controls

Hi,

Modified HU's/players will be the basic player, which will play VCD, MP3's, but u won't get full play controls like, OSD, slow reverse/forward, MP3 folder tree display/id3 tag's etc.
Old 27th July 2006, 10:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
But how will i hook that to the car audio?? besides it will be cluttery. I already have a cd\mp3\WMA compantible HU I am asking only about whether it an be modded to play VCDs, also even if its chipped there must be a video out too right??
I dont recommend you 'chip' your HU. Most mod jobs I've seen have been shoddy and eventually the HU's life is cut short due to the shoddy mods... Not to mention your resale will go for a toss..

Frankly, VCD sucks... heavily compressed picture, poor sound... why dont you go for a DVD unit... The Sony R1 (or something like that) is available for 10-11k or so... Good value at that price IMHO...
Old 27th July 2006, 11:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for al tips

@gunbir: even am not too fan of a video in car(atleast so far but cant say it for future) was just wondering whether the claims of the installer are correct or not & hence asked :-)
Old 27th July 2006, 12:37   #20
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Dont get VCD/DVD installed in you car unless you really want it and are going to use it.
Or get it if you have the money and like gadgets around you!!

Heres what I think:-
Most of the time you dont use it unless you are chauffer driven or you have kids in the back seat..Or you are too romantic and like seeing a movie with your girl in a car...

Also I have seen these cars with VCD are more prone to theft..

I advise buy a portable player ,it works fine and can be use everywhere.Many available in grey market.
Keep you Hu stock..
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
Old 28th July 2006, 11:47   #21
Team-BHP Support

VCD is no way near DVD. I have a VCD/DVD 10 disc changer in my car with a mix of VCDs adn DVD in it. However it depends on your needs. If you are looking a "complete" HT experience in your car in most cases you will be disappointed.

a) It is only the rear passengers who should be watching a screen. Now these passengers are really close to the rear speakers and really far and off axis from the front speakers.

b) rear screen at best at 7". Now evne with your eyes 12-18" from the screen do you consider that a HT experience.

In short the real use for video in the car I feel is to distract the rear passengers (which in my case is my son) so that they dont disturb the front passengers (which in my case is my wife and me).

On long drives watching a VCD/DVD at 70-100kmph is so demanding that after about 10-20 min of it even my sons tires and goes of sleep in his car seat. Usually he even warns us that he his sleepy and to turn of the screen.

So unless they figure out a way to stream CNBC or HBO or VH1 to my car (affordably) I dont see another use for video.
Old 28th July 2006, 11:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

@SRK: Yes I agree & thast why I said I am in no mood to get one either

@Navin: Intersting to know now it further makes no sense to get one(not that I was getting one )
Old 28th July 2006, 13:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

Technocrat, I ddi not say it makes no sense. I said that video in a car for me has limited use. The changer and screen cost me 16K (in Oct 2004) which was a small portion of my car audio budget so what the heck. The only real cost I felt was that the installer had to cut up me head rest to fit in the screen. Since my car came with a sunroof (that sees about as little use as the video system) a ceiling mounted screen was no go.
Old 28th July 2006, 13:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yes I got that what I meant is I aint got a chaueffer,nor a wife & obviously neither a kid. So if am driving doesnt make sense for me at this stage
Old 10th November 2006, 18:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
A few days back I had gone to my installer for installing a new system in my friend's car. We were just talking about what additional features are usefull. So on the topic of iPODs & walkmans he said that for my system(a Pioneer 5750) he just needs to solder a wire inside the HU which would have a headphone jack & which would allow me to listen to any device in the AUX mode.
Where in bangy con i get this done.What would be the approx cost?
Old 10th November 2006, 18:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

binz i would suggest not to get this done. the pio HU has a something called a IP-bus connector at the back to connect to an external cd changer. If you can get hold of that cable all you have to do is chop off one end and crimp it to a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack and use that to connect.
No soldering in the HU. just connect the cable to the HU and in aux mode you can listen to the ipod.
theres a link on the forum which i'll find and tell you shortly.

edit: found it. heres the link

Last edited by Vid6639 : 10th November 2006 at 18:45.
Old 10th November 2006, 21:09   #27
BHPian

The dvd asus rom attachment sounds interesting always thought of this but did not do itattached the mobile to the stereo via a cassete adapter instead. how to attach the asus dvd rom pls give details wont it skip when you go over the speedbreaker or any bumpy road.Can this be done to any hu i have a kenwood krc-series 1998 model can this be done on that hu too.Where will you place it.
Old 10th November 2006, 22:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

i have soldered out the aux connection from my jvc kd g815 hu. its a small job. will not recommend vcd conversion as you will not have any controls axcept start and stop. better go for a exchange and buy dvd player or may be try the asus mod. i have portable dvd player with screen hooked up to the aux connection.
Old 10th November 2006, 23:19   #29
BANNED

Guys! Please dont do that CD/DVD drive conversion. Those drives are not at all meant for this type of installs.

The prices of Dvd HUs have fallen to earth. Some players are even available sub 6k. Why spend time and money on something not meant for the job?

Wait, collect and then spend. And do it well. You'll sure enjoy the fruits!
Old 11th November 2006, 00:50   #30
BHPian

If you have to convert your audio HU into a VCD/ DVD, just forget it. Video has a far greater bandwidth than audio and may need extensive mods. Besides that, there is the question of a video pre-amp etc, all of which has to be crammed into a small HU space. And in a country like India, where even finding high-quality Burr Brown DACs and op-amps is a big headache, why take the trouble. If you want video in your car, get a VCD/ DVD player.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks