Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 15:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

MODs to the HU

A few days back I had gone to my installer for installing a new system in my friend's car. We were just talking about what additional features are usefull. So on the topic of iPODs & walkmans he said that for my system(a Pioneer 5750) he just needs to solder a wire inside the HU which would have a headphone jack & which would allow me to listen to any device in the AUX mode.

Is this safe ??

While leaving I was cribbing about not buying a VCD player(as my friend was getting one, not that I need one rite now but a new gadget always does that to me ) My installer said just bring in the player he can make it play VCDs too

Is this possible ??
Old 26th July 2006, 15:51   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
...he just needs to solder a wire inside the HU which would have a headphone jack & which would allow me to listen to any device in the AUX mode....Is this safe ??...My installer said just bring in the player he can make it play VCDs too ..Is this possible ??
Ref: solder wire for headphone jack:
While some of us insist on modifying just about every audio product used
I would not advise this. It will at the least void all warranties.

Ref: VCD
Many HUs can be modified to playback VCDs. It is common enough that most manufacturers know this too. In fact one manufacturer's (who shall not be named) distributor/dealer offered to do this for me if I bought their product (but I did not go through with the purchase).
Old 26th July 2006, 15:59   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Technocrat: i dunno bout the AUX in part but the VCD part is pretty common. Here they usually "CHIP" the CD-changer to play mp3 or VCD, so without tampering with the HU u get VCD functionality in the changer. Secondhand Chipped pioneer 12CD changer costs around 3-3.5K.
Old 26th July 2006, 16:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Navin: Thanks Navin...actually warranty is not an issue because my HU was bought in grey :-) So if the installer is reliable can I go for it ?

@Aza: Thanks dude but mine already plays mp3 & stuff .Just wanted to know whether it can be modded\chipped to play VCDs too
Old 26th July 2006, 18:19   #5
BANNED

The HU can be modded to play VCDs and it's a common practice. How reliable are these?? That can be answered by you only because it depends on the installer who does the modding. Some are experts and they can even beat heavy named brands and some are so-so and some pure crap!!
Old 26th July 2006, 21:01   #6
BHPian

Techno,its very easy for electronics guys to add vcd option in HU.Infact its very common in home audio systems as older versions were not mp3/vcd compatible.Thios they do by changing chip in system [or HU].

Let me try if i can reproduce the story which i came to know abt 2 yrs back.Pardon me if i am partially wrong,though i'm shore i wont be grossly wrong.

Basically this whole concepts is based on this chip,which is of different versions.eg older systems were only 2.0 compatible [not shore] then came vcd which had chip whichi think was 2.1 or 2.2 version.Then came mp3 compatible systems which had 2.2v chip.

So these guys just put the latest chip which can read all format [vcd/audio/mp3] in addition to replacing the lens.

So thats about it.I am shore our gurus know much more and i may be wrong with version numbers but its still all in the chip.
Old 26th July 2006, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

ICE is always about CHIPS!!... one way or the other!!..
Old 26th July 2006, 22:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

expertise matters! And by default when we talk any Pio sets, its grey and hence no warranty.

It can be done, but I will buy a VCD /DVD changer for my HU if it supports rather than take a risk!
Old 26th July 2006, 22:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

... even the portable ones are so damn cheap!!... cant those be hooked onto the HU as well??
Old 26th July 2006, 22:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100
... even the portable ones are so damn cheap!!... cant those be hooked onto the HU as well??
emm, get a Asus DVD ROM and fix it! 1400Rs

A JVC DVD HU costs just 10k
Old 26th July 2006, 22:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

yeah.. dint someone put up a post of a car with an ASUS drive the other day.... hmmm..... dvd in car... well!!
Old 26th July 2006, 22:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeah.. dint someone put up a post of a car with an ASUS drive the other day.... hmmm..... dvd in car... well!!
that was karthik and me
Old 26th July 2006, 22:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
that was karthik and me
Dont tell me!!.. IS this done in your car ???... Doesnt one need a OS and CPU of some sort to use a ASUS Drive?
Old 26th July 2006, 22:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont tell me!!.. IS this done in your car ???... Doesnt one need a OS and CPU of some sort to use a ASUS Drive?
hell no ! saw in another car.
Old 27th July 2006, 09:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But how will i hook that to the car audio?? besides it will be cluttery. I already have a cd\mp3\WMA compantible HU I am asking only about whether it an be modded to play VCDs, also even if its chipped there must be a video out too right??

Ok Next Koshun: how much does Pioneer compatible CD changed cost these days? 1st hand\2nd hand both

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks