Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2015, 12:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR

Transcend Drive Pro 220 launched in India at a price of 11,990 and an impressive 2 years warranty. Don't see it on Amazon or any other online store yet though.

Quote:
The DrivePro 220 can automatically adjust for different lighting conditions and capture details of an incident, including license plates. The camera has Full HD imaging sensor for clear and smooth 1080p (30fps) recordings. The device can record for up to 30 seconds when the car loses power to ensure the important evidence is captured. Alternatively, the DrivePro 220 can be manually activated to record up to 30 minutes on a fully charged battery without power supply.

The built-in GPS receiver can log coordinates, date and time into the recorded video footage. When used with Transcend’s DrivePro Toolbox on a computer, consumers using a Windows system can see the driving paths of the entire journey along with necessary information such as GPS coordinates, speeds, date and time.

The device’s Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) warns the driver if and when the driving speed exceeds the preset value and the vehicle starts to deviate from its lane. Additionally, the Forward Collision Warning System (FCWS) warns the driver when the vehicle gets too close to the car ahead.

With the latest motion detection technology, DrivePro 220 can automatically start recording when the sensor detects movement.

When connected to the DrivePro 220’s dedicated wireless network, users can view live video footage during recording, playback and download videos, and adjust settings from their smartphone or tablet.

When the vehicle’s engine is turned on, video files are automatically recorded to the 16GB microSDHC MLC memory card, which is included in the product.

The DrivePro220 Car Video Recorder is priced at ₹11,990 and carries a two-year company warranty.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle7134753.ece

Last edited by shashank.nk : 29th April 2015 at 12:28.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 15:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Finally my Transcend DP 100 was delivered by Amazon yesterday.

Pics here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3698697

The piece is not as bulky as i thought it will be but still is not a stealth install. I had to mask the transcend logo and the chrome ring around the lens by a black tape to camouflage it a bit and make it less noticeable.

I have a few concerns. I pulled out the unit from the car after a drive and it was quite hot. I hope the battery doesn't did due to the heat. Also for security reasons i won't be leaving it attached to the windshield and but am concerned the daily removing and affixing of the suction cup would make it weak and eventually leads to the mounts failure, so any workaround for that.

I don't know what to do about the glare of the dashboard. You can notice the Dodge Charger on the windshield which is mounted on my dashboard.

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-grab1.jpg

I managed to hide the wire inside the roof lining and the door beading.
The pic quality is great but i have disabled the sound and the file for 3 mins at 1024 resolution is coming at 333 MB which is not bad. Can anyone tell me how much the size will be with the audio on ?

I am also not able to connect directly to a PC using the device and it needs it's own mini USB cable. The standard mini USB cable which comes with mobile phone is to small for the DP. A workaround is, i inserted the SD card in my phone and connected the same to a laptop to download the videos.
I have kept the G sensor off. I am quite happy with this product but am concerned about the security and life of the suction mount.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd May 2015 at 15:56.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2015, 23:41   #63
BHPian

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR

@sumeet, I also got one pretty recently and share the same concerns that you have with glare, the unit getting hot and not able to copy files directly from the unit. I have one question though as you have managed to nicely hide the wirings - did you use any tape to secure the wires in its place ? I am unable to keep the wires tucked in and it keeps coming off.

Last edited by pgupta : 5th May 2015 at 23:42.
Old 6th May 2015, 07:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgupta View Post
@sumeet, I also got one pretty recently and share the same concerns that you have with glare, the unit getting hot and not able to copy files directly from the unit. I have one question though as you have managed to nicely hide the wirings - did you use any tape to secure the wires in its place ? I am unable to keep the wires tucked in and it keeps coming off.
I did not use any tape except for the excess wire which needs to be tucked away. I simply used a foot ruler and tucked away the wires inside the roof liner and inside the rubber weather strip. These fittings are like the ones you can pull apart gently a bit and they will reveal places inside to fit the wires. You can then snap them back into place. I suggest you look at you tube videos on how to hide dash cam wires. I took tips on how to do from same.
Old 8th May 2015, 23:20   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I did not use any tape except for the excess wire which needs to be tucked away. I simply used a foot ruler and tucked away the wires inside the roof liner and inside the rubber weather strip. These fittings are like the ones you can pull apart gently a bit and they will reveal places inside to fit the wires. You can then snap them back into place. I suggest you look at you tube videos on how to hide dash cam wires. I took tips on how to do from same.

Thanks for your input. I could do a far better job this time. Also shifted the wiring from the driver side to the passenger side. However I am not still comfortable in leaving the camera inside while parking at malls or public parking places.
Old 9th May 2015, 06:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I could do a far better job this time. Also shifted the wiring from the driver side to the passenger side. However I am not still comfortable in leaving the camera inside while parking at malls or public parking places.
Glad to be of help. I prefer to remove the cam daily and place it away invisible from prying eyes. I have masked the Transcend logo outside and the silver chrome which makes the camera look a bit cheap and inconspicous. Try to fit behind the rear view mirror which will camaflouge it a bit and can be a little hard to notice. Best is to remove when parked in streets etc. Better have to get a new mount than a new cam if the constant removing causes the mount to fail etc. Always wipe the surface of the glass before affixing the mount as it will make the mount more firmly attached. Enjoy the more secured driving experience.
Old 10th May 2015, 08:33   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys can the camera be powered by a USB inlet of a audio system in the car leaving the 12 volt outlet free for other purposes (eg powering a GPS device) ?

Thanks
I tried connecting via a USB cable ( i had a cable at home which fitted the DP) to the car stereo but it gave a message "connect to the PC" or something like that. Bottom line was that the camera did not start when connected to the car stereo USB.
Old 14th May 2015, 08:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Guys in my quest to make the camera a more discreet and less conspicuous i stuck a piece of foam cardboard which i had from a Timex watch container.

I took a bottle cap the size of the Camera lens. I used the cap to cut out a hole in the foam just the size of the lens and fitted same to the camera.

Now the mic does get covered a bit but then i keep the sound on mute while driving and i still can hear the sound inspite of the foam covering the mic.

Below are pics.

Had this foam cardboard which is used to secure watches.

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-1_20150514_074244.jpg

With a bottle cap just the size of the camera lens i cut out the centre by screwing the cap on the foam.

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-20150514_074254.jpg

It fits snugly on the camera and this is what it looks like.

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-20150514_074314.jpg

From outside it looks like this.

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-20150514_074712.jpg

Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-20150514_074821.jpg

I hope one cannot make out without straining their eyes and figure out that it's a camera and mistake it for a mobile holder.

But i still plan to remove the camera while parking in open spaces etc.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 14th May 2015 at 08:23.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2015, 19:22   #69
Senior - BHPian

Another sample pic from the video taken as a screen grab.
Attached Thumbnails
Transcend DrivePro 200 Review - Dash Cam / DVR-1432043529597.jpg  

Old 25th May 2015, 19:58   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Finally my Transcend DP 100 was delivered by Amazon yesterday.
Have posted a question on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post3715306

Thanks!
Old 26th May 2015, 17:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Have posted a question on this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post3715306

Thanks!
I was able to connect a mini usb to a capdase car USB adaptor to power the camera. I hope this will answer your USB cable question.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 18:21   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I was able to connect a mini usb to a capdase car USB adaptor to power the camera. I hope this will answer your USB cable question.
Thanks!

My next long drive is 2 months away, so will wait before I purchase one.

Will post my review here then.
Old 26th May 2015, 19:19   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Guys in my quest to make the camera a more discreet and less conspicuous i stuck a piece of foam cardboard which i had from a Timex watch container.

I hope one cannot make out without straining their eyes and figure out that it's a camera and mistake it for a mobile holder.

But i still plan to remove the camera while parking in open spaces etc.

Very innovative, I must say. Thanks for sharing. I think having the camera covered this way might help in keeping it relatively cooler. It would be nice to know if this is the case.

Also do you think it's better to hide it , not only to keep the device secure but also some people might react differently if they come to know that they are on camera 😃?
Old 26th May 2015, 22:56   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very innovative, I must say. Thanks for sharing. I think having the camera covered this way might help in keeping it relatively cooler. It would be nice to know if this is the case.

Also do you think it's better to hide it , not only to keep the device secure but also some people might react differently if they come to know that they are on camera ��?
It might protect a bit from the sun & heat i guess but am not quite sure to what extent. Yes i believe it's important that the camera be kept discreet to make sure it's safe.

Also i do not have the pic but i have rotated the position of the foam where the cut section come at the top rather than how i have pictured it above.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 26th May 2015 at 22:58.
Old 13th July 2015, 00:52   #75
BHPian

After reviewing several car dash cams or black box products, I have zeroed in on the Transcend DrivePro 220.

However the parking mode or ability to record when the car is not in use is top in my priority, from what I have read it can only record a few seconds of video as it does not draw power from the car battery in parking mode. Is that true, can any user confirm?

Most Viewed