Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 19:44   #46
BHPian

Re: Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
So this doesn't work with Vento as its not in the above list.
Isn't Vento the sedan version of the Polo? It must be compatible as Polo is there in the list.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 19:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Isn't Vento the sedan version of the Polo? It must be compatible as Polo is there in the list.
Thanks Ajay.

As the latest RCD320 doesn't have CAN BUS integration into, will Dynavin N6-VW Headunit support display of parking just like RCD 310 ? and does it need a separate Bluetooth Module and Mic ?
Old 9th September 2014, 20:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this doesn't work with Vento as its not in the above list.
Depends on the variant. Highline definitely supports a version of CANBUS.

Quote:
Thanks Ajay.

As the latest RCD320 doesn't have CAN BUS integration into, will Dynavin N6-VW Headunit support display of parking just like RCD 310 ? and does it need a separate Bluetooth Module and Mic ?
AFAIK The RCD320 is CANBUS compatible, that's why it gives you speed sensitive volume. But it doesn't have a screen capable of displaying park-distance information. Also the connectors at the back aren't the usual square type CANBUS socket. They are two smaller connectors, which is why I said it's a version of CANBUS. See the DIY RCD510 thread for pictures. To cut a long story short, an HU capable of displaying park-distance information will show it with a Highline Vento as long as you have the right connection cable.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 20:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Depends on the variant. Highline definitely supports a version of CANBUS.

AFAIK The RCD320 is CANBUS compatible, that's why it gives you speed sensitive volume. But it doesn't have a screen capable of displaying park-distance information. Also the connectors at the back aren't the usual square type CANBUS socket. They are two smaller connectors, which is why I said it's a version of CANBUS. See the DIY RCD510 thread for pictures. To cut a long story short, an HU capable of displaying park-distance information will show it with a Highline Vento as long as you have the right connection cable.
Thank you. I always thought RCD320 was not CANBUS compatible.

So this will be direct fit to Vento and do we have to install a separate Bluetooth addon and Mic again?
Old 9th September 2014, 20:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
So this will be direct fit to Vento and do we have to install a separate Bluetooth addon and Mic again?
It comes with built in Parrot BT kit and a wired mic. No external BT modules required.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 21:12   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Thanks Siddarth! AFAIK, Dynavin integrates to your car type. So whether you swap it for a Swing player or a Bolero radio, it will integrate itself. I think Laura comes with CAN connector. So you just have to use the CAN connector cable provided with the HU for hooking it up. If you have any CAN info. displayed on your OE Swing player, all that will be automatically displayed on Dynavin.

Regarding installation, I think you might need a different dashboard plate to accommodate the VW shape HU like the ones seen in the following link: http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTA...8-Dash-plates/. Once you have this, it is a simple swap of the HUs. After removing the trim around the HU, you get to remove the 4 torx screws that secure the HU in place. Once the screws are removed, pull the HU out, disconnect the CAN connector and antenna connectors and plug them back behind the Dynavin HU (using the CAN connector cable provided with Dynavin). Since you said you are not familiar with such stuff, you can take it to any reputed ICE installation place or Skoda service centre and get it done. It wont take much time.

I do a lot of homework prior getting some product and hence I can understand it very well when you have questions about it. There is nothing annoying about it and please feel free to ask.

Let me just quote the list of compatible cars for Dynavin N6-VW from vagtune.com:

VW Caddy
VW EOS
VW Golf V
VW Golf VI
VW Golf Variant
VW Golf PLUS
VW Cross Golf
VW Jetta
VW Passat CC
VW Passat 3C 06/2005 ->
VW Passat 3C Variant 06/2005 ->
VW Polo (New)
VW Scirocco
VW Touran
VW Cross Turan
VW Tiguan
Seat Leon II * 03/2009 - 10/2012
Seat Altea *
Seat Altea XL *
Seat Altea Freetrack *
Seat Toledo III *
Seat Alhambra
Skoda Octavia II *
Skoda Octavia Combi II *
Skoda Suberb (New)
Skoda Yeti
Skoda Fabia
Skoda Fabia Combi
Skoda Roomster

* Optional panel required if the OE radio does not have a VW design.

Since MK1 Octavia does not have a VW specific double din slot, you actually have much more options and not restricted to VW specific HUs. You have the liberty to go for any good single or double din HU. From Octavia II (Laura) onwards, you have the VW HU specific fascia.
Thanks so much again Ajay, this really helps, guess now it's time to get working, may bother you again and will keep you posted in any case. Cheers
Siddarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 21:41   #52
BHPian

If anyone has installed this on Vento, please post your reviews too.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone has installed this on Vento, please post your reviews too.
Ajay is the best placed to answer what wiring harnesses the Dynavin HU comes with. But just to give you an idea, the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 comes with three. A regular CANbus to HU cable and two cables designed specifically for the Vento/Polo/Rapid -- one for cars with a CANbus interface and one for those without.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 12:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Ajay is the best placed to answer what wiring harnesses the Dynavin HU comes with. But just to give you an idea, the Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 comes with three. A regular CANbus to HU cable and two cables designed specifically for the Vento/Polo/Rapid -- one for cars with a CANbus interface and one for those without.
Thanks StarScream. I have got rough idea now

Would love to see a working demo before plunging the money on it. Anyone in Bangalore has installed Dynavin N6 please let me know.
Old 10th September 2014, 12:58   #55
BHPian

Just to clear some doubts with the type of connectors being used in VW Skoda cars...

Basically 2 types of connectors that are seen are
- CAN type
- ISO type

CAN type

CAN type connector socket behind the HU - Black socket on the bottom right side
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-can-connector-hu-side.jpg

CAN type connector cable
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-can-connector.jpg

ISO type

ISO type connector socket behind the HU
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-iso-connectors-hu.jpg

ISO type connector cable
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-iso-connector.jpg

CAN - ISO adapters

These are available for connecting HUs with ISO type sockets to cars with CAN type connectors. Below are couple of pics of typical CAN - ISO adapters.
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-can-iso-adapter.jpg
Review: Dynavin N6-VW Headunit (for VW / Skoda cars)-can-iso-adapter-2.jpg

Most of the aftermarket HUs come with ISO type sockets and provide CAN - ISO adapters along with the HU. The advantage of this is that it can connect directly to cars like VW Vento, Polo, etc. which comes with OE ISO connectors and if these HUs are to be installed in cars with CAN type connectors, the provided adapter needs to be used. Both Blaupunkt and Dynavin comes equipped with all required connectors/adapters for making it direct plug and play for VW Passat, Jetta, Vento, Polo, Skoda Superb, Octavia, Laura, Yeti, Fabia, etc.

On the other hand, Audiosources HU came with CAN type socket and the adapter needs to be purchased separately if it has to be used in a car with ISO type connector.

FYI, though these connectors are broadly classified into 2 types, there are variations within these 2 with more connector pins or less, depending on the features of the HU and car. These are just examples shown in pics to have a fair idea of these connectors and how to judge compatibility of VW Skoda specific HUs with CAN and ISO connectors.

This is from my limited knowledge. Experts please feel free to add to it or correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Pics source - Google Images.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 14:23   #56
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Ajay,

What about maps. Do we get India maps? Can you please provide more information about source of maps and updates. Does the bundle includes India maps? If not where to source and what may be the cost and also update cost.
Old 10th September 2014, 15:02   #57
BHPian

thank you Ajay for those detailed information. Now i need to see the connectors of RCD320 & this Dynavin N6.

Regarding Full MFD Integration, One of my friend said that Car's Cluster has to support in order to enable all the available features in Dynavin N6. Is it correct? Do we need to upgrade the current cluster of Vento which comes in India to Highline Cluster which is available in VW cars sold abroad?
Old 10th September 2014, 17:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thank you Ajay for those detailed information. Now i need to see the connectors of RCD320 & this Dynavin N6.
Between the Vento and RCD 320 the connector is ISO on both sides. That is why I said, there is no block-type CANbus connector in the Vento/Polo.

RCD 320:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3525906

On the car side the connectors look like picture 4, here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3355628

Last edited by StarScream : 10th September 2014 at 17:18.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 17:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Between the Vento and RCD 320 the connector is ISO on both sides:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3525906

That is why I said, there is no block-type CANbus connector in the Vento/Polo.
I'm confused. In your earlier posts you said RCD 320 is CAN Bus compatible but the unit image shows its got ISO Type connectors. So this means RCD320 is not CAN Bus compatible?

Sorry, I am a complete n00b.
Old 10th September 2014, 17:23   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi Ajay, What about maps. Do we get India maps? Can you please provide more information about source of maps and updates. Does the bundle includes India maps? If not where to source and what may be the cost and also update cost.
Maps are included in the bundle and I think you get either iGo India maps or Satguide India maps. I haven't collected my map card yet. For the time being I am using iGo Primo India maps which came along with my previous HU. I will be collecting my map card from Sugesh soon. I've been told that mapmyindia maps are also compatible. I am more inclined towards mapmyindia as I have been using their maps since the time they launched in India and feel more comfortable with it. But I wont be purchasing that for now and will try the map which comes in the bundle for the time being. Will upgrade later if required.

Quote:
Regarding Full MFD Integration, One of my friend said that Car's Cluster has to support in order to enable all the available features in Dynavin N6. Is it correct? Do we need to upgrade the current cluster of Vento which comes in India to Highline Cluster which is available in VW cars sold abroad?
You're welcome mate! I am not really familiar with RCD 320, or Vento/Polo for that matter. Anyways, if it has ISO socket, it will be direct plug n play provided your car has ISO connectors and if car has CAN connector, you can use the CAN - ISO adapter to hook up the HU. My guess is that for Vento, it will be the first case.

Regarding cluster and MFD integration and all, BHPian Gannu_1 has carried out DIY upgrades in his Polo and must be able to comment better. Or you can contact Vagtune to clear all your doubts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks