Team-BHP - 6x9 Subwoofers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   6x9 Subwoofers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/15561-6x9-subwoofers.html)

I have some queries about 6x9 subs.

Do they exist?

Are they any good?

Who makes them? How much do they cost?

i doubt.

though 6x9 is kind of a 8inch woofer :D

wait for posts frm gurus.

Umm, there are several brands that manufacture 6x9 subwoofers, but I wouldn't call them commonly available. They also mostly fall prey to the same problems that most non-circular subs do. They're good if you want some real rumble from stock 6x9 locations in the rear, and you can sacrifice the rear fill by using them. And like jkdas pointed out, each 6x9 would easily produce the bass of a comparable good 8" circular sub though not with similar accuracy.

Then there are other products like the old JBL Decades, and some high-end 6x9s from other brands that are essentially coaxes/ triaxes, but use a low Fs 6x9 woofer, and roll off steeply using some crossover elements. They would also have a dedicated midrange driver (usually a 50mm mylar/ polycarb mid) to take care of the frequencies between the tweeter and the sub. These are indeed capable of producing decent sub-bass. The trouble is that these are not popular since they are inefficient when driven off head units.

audiobahns 6x9 comes with tweeters than can be placed of soemwhere else ( do correct me if i am wrong).

JBL is considered one among the best with teh 6x9.For some Pio 6x9 gves more bass. 6x9 powered by an amp in a good box do give good bass. Works best frm 80Hz above.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas
audiobahns 6x9 comes with tweeters than can be placed of soemwhere else ( do correct me if i am wrong).

JBL is considered one among the best with teh 6x9.For some Pio 6x9 gves more bass. 6x9 powered by an amp in a good box do give good bass.

Just having a detachable tweeter does not qualify a 6x9 to be sub-bass capable. The bass driver on the Audiobahn is not a sub-like driver. It operates best with frequencies under 50 Hz taken out. It has a measly single layer voice coil just like everyone else, and doesnt have a crossover for that driver.

It is difficult to call JBL the 'best' 6x9. In fact, the Infinity Reference series sounds way better than the JBL 6x9 in my opinion. There are many good ones out there. One of my all time favorites has to be the MB Quart 6x9, forgot the model. It uses a mass loaded 6x9 cone with a shatteringly low Fs for a coaxial speaker, and manages loads of SQ with a 19mm metal dome. I dont know whether it's even available now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Just having a detachable tweeter does not qualify a 6x9 to be sub-bass capable. The bass driver on the Audiobahn is not a sub-like driver. It operates best with frequencies under 50 Hz taken out. It has a measly single layer voice coil just like everyone else, and doesnt have a crossover for that driver.

It is difficult to call JBL the 'best' 6x9. In fact, the Infinity Reference series sounds way better than the JBL 6x9 in my opinion. There are many good ones out there. One of my all time favorites has to be the MB Quart 6x9, forgot the model. It uses a mass loaded 6x9 cone with a shatteringly low Fs for a coaxial speaker, and manages loads of SQ with a 19mm metal dome. I dont know whether it's even available now.

:D what I meant was under 5k:D, JBL was good etc etc

have anyone got any exp. on square subwoofers?
is there any difference in sound quality between round and square one?
here are the few models of square subwoofers!!
Hifonics AS12SQ
Kicker Solo-Baric L5 02S12L5

regards,
ant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN
have anyone got any exp. on square subwoofers?

Yeah, loads of experience. Unfortunately, all of it was bad experience.

all i knw is some are damn costly.

All I know is that they make some weird boom-boom sound and are made out of empty coconut shells.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theEnd
I have some queries about 6x9 subs.
Do they exist?
Are they any good?
Who makes them? How much do they cost?

A few manufacturers do make 6x9 subs... like the Genesis's P69... they are good as a compromise... but not cheap, so if you are willing to pay as much then get a larger, regular sub by all means...

Thanks for all the replies. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to save on boot space in my Swift by installing 6x9 subs in the parcel shelf (where there are a couple of Sony Xplod speakers begging to be thrown out). No problems with rear sound stage because I would be putting something into the rear doors (6" compos like the front, if money permits, otherwise some decent 6" coaxials).

And certainly they will be powered by an amp (some 2 channel sony thing... 300W i believe)

I'm definitely not looking for a 6x9 coax with slightly better than normal bass handling... What i want is a pure 6x9 subwoofer that would handle only low freq (at least down to 40hz, hopefully lower). I dont want powerfull booming bass, just something to round out the sound.

try an 8 inch sub then.

Quote:

Thanks for all the replies. I was just wondering if it would be worth it to save on boot space in my Swift by installing 6x9 subs in the parcel shelf

U can save even more boot space by installing subw in place of spare wheel if u have tubeless tyres and dont need spare wheel much.

Quote:

What i want is a pure 6x9 subwoofer that would handle only low freq (at least down to 40hz, hopefully lower). I dont want powerfull booming bass, just something to round out the sound.

Experts will have something more to say but acc. to little ICE knowledge i have,6x9 r not good enough to produce sound at these freq.

So,in theEnd i will advice u to go for 10-12" subw in place of spare wheel!!

Most (not all) 6x9s are not meant to be used as subwoofers. They are designed to be placed on the rear shelf of a sedan and have a midbass hump to give the impression of having enough bass.

A 8" woofer is more likely to be designed to operate as a subwoofer. The only thing these two (the 6x9" and 8") most likely have in common is that the Surface area (which relates someowhat to how loudly the speaker can play - not so much how low it can go) is about the same.

If you are looking to add sub-bass in a swift and not sacrificing the boot (rear shelf install) I think you might be out of luck as the rear shelf might not be wide enough to accomodate 1 or 2 8" woofers. if it is then that is your best option (using 2 8" woofers on a rear shelf made of 18-25mm MDF).