Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2006, 17:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiking
BBE (bass boost engine)

bbe does not means bass boost engine. it is a sound processing technology only it is just like loundness freature in other head unit. one more thing enabling it will make sound bad... so keep it off all time....IMHO.
Old 1st August 2006, 11:49   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...No crossover, equalizer, time-alignment....I guess to bring the prices down, alpine had cut down on features. Also to support the new IPOD software, ipod can be connected using a single cable which also charges the IPOD...
The 9857 does not have LPF or HPF! Yikes! it is not a cheap HU. The 9855R has LPF and HPF as well as TA etc.. I would not worry about the EQ though as it does offer Center Frequency and Width for Bass and Treble. see the link below for more.
http://www.alpine-europe.com/content...adunits_EN.pdf

BTW BBE is this...
http://www.bbesound.com/products/ars/ars.asp

Last edited by navin : 1st August 2006 at 11:51.
Old 1st August 2006, 12:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
bbe does not means bass boost engine. it is a sound processing technology only it is just like loundness freature in other head unit. one more thing enabling it will make sound bad... so keep it off all time....IMHO.
BBE is a company, if my memory serves me right(Man I sound like Navin), stands for Barcus Berry Electronics. They are a company that make Guitar Pedals, distortion units etc etc. They got consumer recognition by making a product called "Sonic Maximizer" (I have a 19" rack mounted unit lying around somewhere at home.)
LBM is correct, it is a booster, somewhat like loudness, but works on different principles.

I believe BBE licences out the sonic maximizer to companies. Instead of calling it the BBE sonic Maximizer, it's just called BBE.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st August 2006 at 12:34.
Old 1st August 2006, 20:22   #19
BHPian

Wiking,I hope ur HU has 'internal amp off' feature as selecting it will greatly enhance the SQ of ur system.
I would have have preferred above feature and TA for ur system which has some really nice components.
Old 1st August 2006, 20:48   #20
BHPian

sorry guys... i mentally expanded BBE as I typed thanks for correcting me.

@navin: U bet... this HU is expensive and I still don't know why I picked this instead of CDA-9856 which is I think is around 6K less.. damn ! this HU has biolite display while 9856 doesn't have one. Thats the only difference i could make out comparing the specs. It was spur of the moment, HU was decided at the time of install and i got a good exchange price for the 2DIN unit. Anyways, i am pretty happy with this unit... nothing much to complain about.

@rsjaurr: Yes, i can switch off the internal amplifier. This is current setting, but i didn't find any difference in SQ with internal amplifier on or off.

Last edited by wiking : 1st August 2006 at 20:50.
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:52   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
BBE is a company...it's just called BBE.
Yes old man! Lee and John did invent this processor but sold that company.
Today Barcus-Berry (Les Barcus & John Berry) exists separatly from BBE Sound. see http://www.barcusberry.com/ and http://musicorp.com/musicorp.asp

Last edited by navin : 2nd August 2006 at 09:57.
Old 5th September 2006, 15:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Here's the cost of the system. I know... I shall post it on the other thread too..

Lightning Audio Mutli-Amp Install kit Rs 4500 ($100)
12 gauge speaker wire Rs 4500
Damping Rs 1500
Hey Wiking,

Nice config you got there, seems like a tidy install too.

Some questions :
1. Do you know the brand of speaker wire?
2. What material for damping ?

Thanks !
Old 5th September 2006, 15:19   #23
BHPian

Nice set up boy.
Where did you get it done
Old 5th September 2006, 15:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, the install was done at sound factor (jbl showroom) on lavelle road.
Taken from post #01 on this thread.
Old 5th September 2006, 16:10   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Some questions :
1. Do you know the brand of speaker wire?
2. What material for damping ?
hey souljah... sorry ... i forgot the brand of speaker wire and only remember that it was 12 AWG. Its the light brown color one in one of the amp install pics. Now looking at other install speaker wire prices, this one looks damn expensive !! I shall be having a chat preetham shortly

About damping, don't ask man. It was very small piece if damping (I think 6" X 6"), only for speakers (2 pieces) . Basically junk!! The brand was Pyle. I cannot crossover my front speakers to 80Hz because of this, the door vibrates a lot and lots of resonance. So I have crossed it over at 125Hz. I have to get some serious damping done, probably, dynamat.
Old 5th September 2006, 19:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wiking, thanks for clearing it up... was just curious if you used belden!
More in my PM to you!

Last edited by s0uljah : 5th September 2006 at 19:03.
Old 8th November 2006, 19:29   #27
BHPian

Update: Damping done and ipod installed

Folks,

Just finished damping my car. I purchased 1 roll of b-quiet ultimate (50 sq feet) and 1 pack dynamat extreme door kit (12 sq feet). My friend got this stuff for me from US. It costed around $200. Here are some install pics of the damping that was done:

The original door with goo and goo removed

The inner lining of the door was damped using b-quiet

For outer lining i used dynamat

Now the boot

ipod also installed!!

Finally sourced the ipod cable (kce-422i) for cda-9857 from crutchfield (a friend got it for me). I had based my HU purchase on ipod connectivity and this solution I think is the best thats available in the market right now. The ipod is neatly tucked into the slot available below the head unit. The installation is a breeze (there's only a single cable. no adaptor boxes etc)

Pros:
- The search is fast (not as fast as in ipod but definitely faster than other solutions). There's no lag when searching. You can search based on playlist, artist, album and song. I use the 4GB ipod mini.
- The quality of music is really good. With BBE enabled, even mp3 songs have cd-like quality.
- The biolite display of cda-9857 displays 2 lines on song info during playback (song/artist/album info with automatic scrolling). During search, it displays 3 lines. This really helps in scrolling and arriving at ur desired folder/song faster.
- The direct search functionality is a boon to people having really long playlists. For example, if you have a playlist that has 500 songs and you like to listen to a song starting alphabet "V", u don't have to scroll one-by-one. hit one of the percentatge buttons and lo u can reach near the end of the playlist and scroll from there.
- During playback, you can easily change to a different playlist/artist/album
- It charges your ipod
- It costs only $30

Cons
- I could think of only one! During playback, you cannot go back like you would do by pressing the "Menu" button on the ipod. Its possible during search (by pressing the "func" button) but once the playback has started, there's no going back (other than pressing the back button one at a time). You will have to start all over again.
Old 8th November 2006, 23:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you cannot go back like you would do by pressing the "Menu" button on the ipod. Its possible during search (by pressing the "func" button) but once the playback has started, there's no going back (other than pressing the back button one at a time). You will have to start all over again.
Wiking,

Even in my install Pioneer 8850 plus CDIB100 ipod adapter i cant do this.
The quality of sound is superb and no need of cds.

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 9th November 2006, 10:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

wiking, nice of you to share the pics. We have very few pics of fully damped cars here. Most good damping-pics are of the front door. It looks like the job was done really well.

And you're definitely serious about your sound, to get such a detailed damping done. Good going, buddy!

From the research I did over the last few weeks, I think most iPod interfaces are quirky in one way or another. You always lose some functionality or the other :( Only the Harmann-Kardon Drive+Play seems to do it all.

I tested a Blaupunkt interface (with my Casablanca MP4 HU) 2 days back. It was real laggy. And it would operate only like a CDChanger. Can you imagine navigating through 18GB of music (MP3@256kbps) folder by folder? I tried it out for an hour and decided not to buy it. Apparently they have a better interface and will have it for me to check out in a week. But I'm not too hopeful. Looks like I'll have to spring for the H-K D+P after all.

Last edited by hydrashok : 9th November 2006 at 10:16.
Old 9th November 2006, 10:51   #30
BANNED

Wiking! That's great.

From where did you get this job done? Did you go for DIY?

Btw! As you've done so much to your ICE, ain't it time to choose a better location for your tweeters?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks