Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2006, 22:30   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura666
Well i was talking about subs - box type... but i believe sub can be installed in the boot using an MDF tray too.. so that could solve the boot problem but which one???

Sub in the Box or Sub on the Tray ???

The con for box version is compromising on boot space is all i know, is there anything else???

Well still waiting for speaker suggestion from gururs for my initial setup of front components & rear co-ax. Need for clarity in front & boom at the back kind of speakers, and i need to finalize them soon.
the sub should be in box in your case...as it is a swift...because there is no space between the rear seat and the boot door...so rule out the tray option....

about the sub u dont need to worry a bit as there are many shallow subs avalable in the market....

like this one....http://www.illusionaudio.com/docs/electra.htm

with which u can install them...without letting any space wastage in the boot.....and not to remove any luggage on a weeked trip also.....

rest for ur present setup I would suggest go for a font componet only no need for real fill as it will be not required as much .......so the final product will be if u like would be...

hu->6850
front -> only 6.5 component kit
amp->4 channel (2 channel for the front and bridge the other two for the sub)
sub -> shallow sub in the boot

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 18th September 2006 at 22:34.
Old 18th September 2006, 23:35   #347
Senior - BHPian

nura; search for SWWS install or check viper's thread for teh same.

check my garage pix to haev an idea abt how much boot will be left in a xing with a 10inch jbl sub box.
Old 19th September 2006, 02:18   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
the sub should be in box in your case...as it is a swift...because there is no space between the rear seat and the boot door...so rule out the tray option....

about the sub u dont need to worry a bit as there are many shallow subs avalable in the market....

like this one....http://www.illusionaudio.com/docs/electra.htm

with which u can install them...without letting any space wastage in the boot.....and not to remove any luggage on a weeked trip also.....

rest for ur present setup I would suggest go for a font componet only no need for real fill as it will be not required as much .......so the final product will be if u like would be...

hu->6850
front -> only 6.5 component kit
amp->4 channel (2 channel for the front and bridge the other two for the sub)
sub -> shallow sub in the boot
LBM, some things you should consider...

a) the Illusion electra sub isnt really a shallow mount, unlike their other series, the electra sub has 4.5" mounting depth, which is about average for 10" subs. I just compared with two other regular models of other makes, one had a mounting depth of 4.8" while the other 5"

b) Most shallow subs available in the market, still need large enclosures. Do your calculations, with the Hoffman Iron Law in mind, and you will see what I mean. You cant really use them in space saving applications just because they are shallow mount. For example, a 94dB sensitive 12" shallow mount subwoofer with Fs of 33Hz, .4 Qts and 3.92cuft Vas will need approx 2cuft sealed box to play with authority above 65Hz, and then too with poor low end response. I'm surprised you havent done the math...

Last edited by gunbir : 19th September 2006 at 02:36.
Old 19th September 2006, 02:33   #349
BHPian

They are shallow mounting subs which needs big box. In this case it really does not matter how deep is the subwoofer as it is just saving space inside the sub box.

Last edited by Autophile : 19th September 2006 at 02:34.
Old 19th September 2006, 21:28   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
LBM, some things you should consider...

a) the Illusion electra sub isnt really a shallow mount, unlike their other series, the electra sub has 4.5" mounting depth, which is about average for 10" subs. I just compared with two other regular models of other makes, one had a mounting depth of 4.8" while the other 5"

b) Most shallow subs available in the market, still need large enclosures. Do your calculations, with the Hoffman Iron Law in mind, and you will see what I mean. You cant really use them in space saving applications just because they are shallow mount. For example, a 94dB sensitive 12" shallow mount subwoofer with Fs of 33Hz, .4 Qts and 3.92cuft Vas will need approx 2cuft sealed box to play with authority above 65Hz, and then too with poor low end response. I'm surprised you havent done the math...
The Illusion Electra Series hasn't yet launched. I'm sure LBM posted the wrong link by mistake.

Firstly, let me point out that if you're going by the specs for the subwoofer based on the Illusion Audio website, they are unfortunately wrong. They have different specs from those mentioned, and were mis-quoted on the site ever since it was re-done to include the Electra series.

I have measured all the Illusion Audio drivers myself at the Peerless testing facility to ensure that they are fit for use in sealed applications. I also have the older specs as measured for all the drivers and my findings by measurement measure up to them within allowable production tolerances.

With your experience with using Illusion, I was assuming you probably knew that the specs on the site are way off considering the way they sound.

All Illusion Audio resellers have copies of the 'real' specs or access to the same, and on all occassions, they have been most happy using Illusion Audio subs in sealed applications, based on my recommendation. It's unfortunate that the website has such misleading information, and I can't blame any of you for being misled thus.

Not concerned with Illusion Audio or any brand of subwoofers, I must mention that sometimes there is an unnecessary quest in audio buyers to buy subwoofer drivers with stupendously Low Fs values, and try to get them to run out of small sealed boxes. There are implications of the same. Not only sensitivity, which is still by and large forgivable if you can invest in more amplification bucks, but also in terms of linearity, impulse-response and the overall natural feel of the bass. Also, too much engineering is invested into getting the sub to play a part of the frequency spectrum that is nearly absent in most popular forms of music.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 19th September 2006 at 21:31.
Old 19th September 2006, 21:58   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autophile
They are shallow mounting subs which needs big box. In this case it really does not matter how deep is the subwoofer as it is just saving space inside the sub box.
sir jee I am saying this type of enclousre it has a internal volume of .8 cuft enough for a sealed box application only 6 inch depth......

taken from pioneer shallow sub manual

and the sub i was saying is.....http://www.illusionaudio.com/docs/luccent_subs.htm also shown on the mugen power thread

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 19th September 2006 at 22:07.
Old 24th September 2006, 00:09   #352

Hi Folks
I m from bangalore and pretty new to this form , round a month back I had put a query
regarding audio setup in my swift, thanks to some of the suggestions and after going thru
a lot of threads, I had selected the setup which was suggested by many
pio 9680
gto 607c
jbl sub
sony 4 channel amp

got the setup done from sound factor in bangalore for 30k . The sound is great but the problem is the back seat where the thump from sub becomes too much compared to the comps in front
so the rear passengers dont hear anything much besides the boom from the sub
I thought of putting speakers in the rear door but my budget is around 2 k since the jbl gto637 at 4K is out of budget, can u guys suggest any alternative say in pioneer
also any place in bangalore where I can get authorised pio stuff
Old 24th September 2006, 01:22   #353
Senior - BHPian

u can check the pioneer speakers but I would recommed not buy them ...instead u can reduce the bump of the sub so that the rear people in the car could match the sound of the front and the rear....also in which position is the sub firing ...is it facing back or upwards.....
Old 24th September 2006, 18:15   #354
BHPian

You can also reduce the gain for sub [on amplifier] and see if u get less boom.
Old 24th September 2006, 21:39   #355

Hi Guys ... thanks for ur replies ...
LBM - The sub ( dont know the model but peak power is 1000 w ) is facing upwards ...
Rsjaurr- Though as of now i dont know how to reduce the gain, but will search thru the threads and try figuring it out..

Since none of you suggested putting pio speakers, I am thinking of putting speaker plan on hold for now

Guys could you tell me, how much CS series speaker will cost or rather how much cheaper it will be compared to the GTO's .. I cudnt find CS series info on JBL site
Old 24th September 2006, 23:45   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustuv
LBM - The sub ( dont know the model but peak power is 1000 w ) is facing upwards ...
try the sub facing the back facing the boot door . also the the Hu you mentioned is very different which normally we see...u have written 9680 I dont think there is any model like this....

The thing rsj is saying is bringing down the gain....that can be done from the HU itself from the sub menu in the audio section....
Old 25th September 2006, 12:37   #357
BHPian

Kaustuv, you could try tuning your amp such that the rear seat people are not overpowered by the Bass. I had a similar problem (bass was too boomy) and after doing tuning.. managed to get the sound I wanted. You could refer to the following links for help on tuning:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/13141-tuning-your-amps.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/16593-amplifier-tuning.html
Old 25th September 2006, 17:38   #358

Sorry gave the wrong model ... the set is Pioneer 6850
Old 25th September 2006, 21:53   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustuv
Sorry gave the wrong model ... the set is Pioneer 6850
there is a direct sw menu button u can decrease the level of the sub from there...and have you tryied the sub facing back.....it will help a lot....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks