Team-BHP - Normal and Reverse sub setting on HU ?!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   In-Car Entertainment (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/)
-   -   Normal and Reverse sub setting on HU ?! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/15771-normal-reverse-sub-setting-hu-2.html)

I dont have a Sub. But I notice some difference when I toggle the settings. What would be the best setting to extract better bass effect?

I think it is impossible to happen like this as you dont have any sub.........

Quote:

Originally Posted by low_bass_makker (Post 370294)
I think it is impossible to happen like this as you dont have any sub.........

Maybe its a hallucination. But I certainly feel a difference while switching the setting between reverse, normal and off modes. I have a Pioneer DEH 3850 HU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo (Post 370303)
Maybe its a hallucination. But I certainly feel a difference while switching the setting between reverse, normal and off modes. I have a Pioneer DEH 3850 HU.

LBM, does 3850 have a dedicated sub output? I think it only has front + rear (selectable as Sub out) in which case, what he is experiencing may just be phase inversion on the rear channel. In which case he should only be getting LF from his rear speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunbir (Post 370306)
LBM, does 3850 have a dedicated sub output? I think it only has front + rear (selectable as Sub out) in which case, what he is experiencing may just be phase inversion on the rear channel. In which case he should only be getting LF from his rear speakers.

Ya you are correct it has a sub out from the internal amp of the HU....but for this he has to go in to the setup menu ......change the fullrange to subout....then when the HU is running change the setting in the audio menu...but when the sub out is enabled on the low freq will be coming out not the all.....then definetly there will be a big diff......

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 370273)
kkr, the last post was in August 2006, so i am assuming you were trying to understand this post for the last 5 months (as you joined in Sep 2006) and finally gave up. :)

hahahaaaaahahaaalol:
good-one there,
actually came across this on while searching for this feature, which is in my HU (pio deh7450mp). atleast i figured out that this feature is available with a sub.

Quote:

What would be the best setting to extract better bass effect?
LBM care to explain please: , because this ques' was on my mind also. I do have a sub in my car. Which would be better reverse or normal? And by the way my HU is a Pio' DEH - 5850. Thanks in advance.

if your sub is wired perfectly then obiously normal would prove to be way better because by switcing on reverse you reversing the polarity hence reducing audible bass.

Rev

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 370422)
LBM care to explain please: , because this ques' was on my mind also. I do have a sub in my car. Which would be better reverse or normal? And by the way my HU is a Pio' DEH - 5850. Thanks in advance.

it will depend on the phase of the speakers and the subs wired....if the speaker are wired in phase of the sub then the normal will yield better result but if the sub is set reverse it will play out of phase and the bass will reduce....but as car is a very small room there are so many sound waves mixed up reflections and so much confusion it is very difficult to find which phase to keep.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 370422)

rjstyles,

To put it simply, without confusing you, try both. Where the bass sounds louder and better, that is the right one for your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by revtech (Post 370434)
if your sub is wired perfectly then obiously normal would prove to be way better because by switcing on reverse you reversing the polarity hence reducing audible bass.

Rev

Phase inversion does not reduce bass. It just helps you align the bass produced by the sub with the speakers, thats it. This effect is most pronounced when the speakers and subs are both playing bass, and the effect is barely noticeable when not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 370499)
Where the bass sounds louder and better, that is the right one for your car.

Sam ,last night went back home and 1st thing I did was to check the bass on both reverse and normal.Toggled quite a bit between the 2 options and surprisingly I felt that the reverse sounded better to my ears.
Hence stuck to it.Undoubtedly what you said is true !!

Technically speaking what LBM and others quoted is 101% true and I completely agree with their opinions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble (Post 269816)
The adjustment is offered for correction of a phemoenon termed as reverse polarity. It causes phase cancellation at the frequencies concerned. It has to do with the fact that audio signals are elementarily sine waves, and have peaks and troughs. So while co-incident peaks and peaks, or troughs and troughs, would add and produce more amplitude, a peak coinciding with a trough would result in cancellation rather than summation and produce lesser audible output while the amount of power utilized is the same. This is usually not desirable.

To cite an example, this effect is practically evident when in audio systems, there are full range speakers playing low-bass and thus overlapping into the region the subwoofer is playing. If they are not in identical phase, there will be a suck-out in the bass region which they are commonly playing. This is fairly noticeable.

Hey..I've a gypsy king in which i've a pio 7950 HU, a Pio 6300 Amp, a 12" Pioneer sub in an enclosure..not ported..mated to 4 Pioneer speakers..2 - 5-1/4" upfront and 2 6x9s at rear..

The problem is during fast Bass numbers..there is too much bass by the sub that before the first "boom" linger is over the next one occurs.. - The Bass is not tight..whereas in slow numbers..you get the Bass to linger..on very well.. What do i do to adjust the setting..Is anything wrong with the setup.. I've experimented with most of the settings..
:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by headers (Post 450727)
Hey..I've a gypsy king in which i've a pio 7950 HU, a Pio 6300 Amp, a 12" Pioneer sub in an enclosure..not ported..mated to 4 Pioneer speakers..2 - 5-1/4" upfront and 2 6x9s at rear..

The problem is during fast Bass numbers..there is too much bass by the sub that before the first "boom" linger is over the next one occurs.. - The Bass is not tight..whereas in slow numbers..you get the Bass to linger..on very well.. What do i do to adjust the setting..Is anything wrong with the setup.. I've experimented with most of the settings..

hi,

IMO, theres something wrong with your sub enclosure. was the enclosure built in accordance with pioneers recommendations or t/s parameters? the enclosure specs are given on the instruction manual. BTW, what pio sub are you using? is it a free air sub?

im not a guru here so lets see what they have to say.

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by headers (Post 450727)

Not ruling out any possible issues with your sub enclosure, wiring, tuning etc, I would like to point out that Pioneer subs are in fact budget subs and maybe you are expecting too much from them...