Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2006, 18:56   #1

no sound from speakers

hi

just recently i bought a pioneer deh 3850 and jbl mono block + subwoofer. so far i wired up the HU to the car exactly as the manual says except i didnt wire up the HU to the monoblock or sub. the HU powers on and i can select tracks on CD's, choose radio stations and change settings...
the only problem is i don't hear sound from all 4 of the speakers. is this because i havnt wired up the monoblock or something more serious???

p.s. i double checked all wires were correct by following each wire to its speaker and made sure it was either +ve and -ve. i had to splice the wires to connect them and secured them with duct tape.

any advice or suggestions wil b greatly appreciated, else il have to pay $150 to shop to wire it up T.T
Old 7th August 2006, 19:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Bunnarith..

$150 to wire that up? Man Australia is expensive!
OK this is how I understand it
You are wiring up 4 speakers to your HU and then you are gonna add on the monoblock and sub.
If your HU is powered on. AND you have connected the speakers to the correct wires, you should have sound. It's as simple as that. It has nothing to do with the monoblock amp.
If you don't:

well
1) Either you have a faulty HU
2) You have blown up the power chip inside the HU due to a wrong connection or the speaker wires touching each other by mistake.

In either case, you would need to take back your HU.
Old 7th August 2006, 19:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnarith
hi

just recently i bought a pioneer deh 3850 and jbl mono block + subwoofer. so far i wired up the HU to the car exactly as the manual says except i didnt wire up the HU to the monoblock or sub. the HU powers on and i can select tracks on CD's, choose radio stations and change settings...
the only problem is i don't hear sound from all 4 of the speakers. is this because i havnt wired up the monoblock or something more serious???

p.s. i double checked all wires were correct by following each wire to its speaker and made sure it was either +ve and -ve. i had to splice the wires to connect them and secured them with duct tape.

any advice or suggestions wil b greatly appreciated, else il have to pay $150 to shop to wire it up T.T
Just run this small test.

Disconnect the speaker wires from the head unit. Now identify the wires that are going to the speakers, not the ones coming from the head unit's amplifier.

Connect the -ve of the cell to the -ve wire of one of the speakers. Hold this firmly in place with one hand, and momentarily touch the wire going to the +ve of the speaker to the +ve of the battery. You should here a click from the speaker in concern everytime you make contact. Repeat this for all the speakers. This will ensure your speakers are ok, and the wiring is not open somewhere, or shorting. In both cases, you wouldnt hear clicks. If you dont get a click on one of the speakers, check the speaker and the wiring running to the speaker, as the wire leading to it could be shorting somewhere. If it were open, the HU would not have a problem playing the other 3 connected channels.

If this worked fine, make sure that no loose wires behind the HU, any of the pre-outs, turn-on lead are touching some metal part of the HU or car, or each other. They should be well insulated. To test this, power up the HU with all wires intact, and without pushing it into the dash manually run a check. If all is well, proceed to push the HU into the dash.

If your HU is still quiet, check to see if you have 'Mute' on.

Beyond this, you will turn poorer by atleast $150.
Old 7th August 2006, 21:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Just run this small test.......Beyond this, you will turn poorer by atleast $150.
I think u must be poorer by 150 till now....
Old 8th August 2006, 15:54   #5

thnx for the replies guys,

ill test it out right now but i am a bit unsure what 'cell' refers to in the sentence " Connect the -ve of the cell to the -ve wire of one of the speakers." so i will assume it is the cars metal body, plz correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 8th August 2006, 16:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

think a 1.5V battery cant be a 12V to your speaker! (AA battery)

Last edited by jkdas : 8th August 2006 at 16:04.
Old 8th August 2006, 16:01   #7

Hi, the "cell" here refers to a dry cell battery
Old 8th August 2006, 16:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnarith
thnx for the replies guys,

ill test it out right now but i am a bit unsure what 'cell' refers to in the sentence " Connect the -ve of the cell to the -ve wire of one of the speakers." so i will assume it is the cars metal body, plz correct me if i'm wrong.
Oops sorry, I forgot to mention that, any AA, AAA pencil cell would be fine. don't use the car battery, that could be too much. Thats why I also said, touch momentarily. You could also use a DMM (LBM has one that is widely advertised), in continuity mode.
Old 8th August 2006, 16:53   #9

ohhh ok. well i've tested each speaker with a AA battery and each speaker i tested made a thump sound so i guess d speakers r ok. n so i re-wired the HU n made sure each connection was insulated n each exposed wire was insulated.. lol n i checked the mute. still no sound

the only prob is the shop guy warned me i wont b able to return the HU if i spliced the wires... but if i can prove the HU was already broken maybe i can still swap the HU with a working 1. wot do u guys think?
Old 8th August 2006, 21:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

your power amp chip might be dead.do you have a spare car audio amp lying around? if you do use the preamp out and the spare amp and check.
Old 8th August 2006, 22:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

or if u dont have a amp u can connect a head phone to the preout and check u can also try this there must be a line in your tv or audio system u can connect it there also but for doing this u will need long wires to power up the HU

If you get any sound then ur hu amp is gone but the hu is working...... and u will have to change ur hu....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 8th August 2006 at 22:59.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I am telling you this from experience. The power amp IC on your HU is blown. It happens while installing, if speaker wires accidentally touch each other.
Old 9th August 2006, 18:06   #13

is d power amp IC easily replaced, can d head unit b repaired at a cheap price?
Old 9th August 2006, 21:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think u to take to the shop from where u had purchases it ....u said in the earlier post that if there is a problem he will change it.....

the power ic is not easly avalable u would be requiring a old karab HU of same model or series for this purpose ....... even if u get a old HU u change the ic still it did not work then what to do....

add amp simple.........
Old 9th August 2006, 21:55   #15
BANNED

Adding an amplifier will solve your problem dude. But check by connecting an amp to make sure though before you buy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks