Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2006, 22:06   #1
BHPian

what's the difference between a grey market purchase and a B&W purchase

Other than the color of the faceplate I cant make out much. The grey one is silver in color and the legally marketed one is black in color. The grey market one costs around 9k where as the legally imported one costs around 15k. Thats a big *** 6K difference. But why so much? How much of you think this is true (this is what many car accesories guys have told me) that the lens is some cheap lens and hence the cheap price.

What do you think folks?
Old 8th August 2006, 22:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

the main diff between them would be

1) importer sticker
2) look (as u have mentioned before)

rest the hu will be the same.......

about the lens story it is just time pass......

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 8th August 2006 at 22:17.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:03   #3
BANNED

Does the Pioneer 6850 (grey) come with a manufacturer's warranty?
Old 8th August 2006, 23:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

The grey has no warranty. Other than that, unfortunately, they are the same product.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:11   #5
BANNED

Damn! I had no idea that 9K was the grey market price for the 6850 and that too, with no freakin' warranty. That's a big risk fella's, don't you think?
Old 8th August 2006, 23:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think it a risk worth taking because the cost difference is huge ........and there is normally no problem in hu ........also 90 % of the market buy grey pioneer HU

PS 90% is a assumtion it can be more or even less...
Old 8th August 2006, 23:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

It's more.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:27   #8
BANNED

Wow, that's an astounding figure! It's funny how people will buy a grey market product with absolutely no warranty, than pay the extra 5-6K to get the same product with a manufacturer's warranty.
God forbid, if that grey stuff had to go kaput! To gaya na 9K paani mein!
Old 8th August 2006, 23:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

ya sam every one i ask have u bought it with B/W and everbody says NO.

I think they must reduce there prices so that the grey thing should be removed completely......
Old 8th August 2006, 23:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha
God forbid, if that grey stuff had to go kaput! To gaya na 9K paani mein!
this barely happen thats why everybody buy grey.......
Old 8th August 2006, 23:47   #11
aZa
Senior - BHPian

the difference in costs between Billed and unbilled purchases are around 50% in pioneer ... no wonder everywhr u see grey stuff. Plus if u plan to sell of ur HU in a matter or a yr or probably if an upgrade comes along u will get prices near the grey market prices, this would mean a clear 50% drop from the billed amount.

Last year i bought a Pioneer 5750 for 12K with b/w and i sold it for 6K no one would buy it for more than that even when i had the b/w. As a without bill 5750 was available for 6.5-7K NEW. If i would have bought it @ grey market prices in the first place i would lost prolly 1k but this way i lost 6K :(

Sux i know!
Old 8th August 2006, 23:50   #12
BANNED

Yup, that makes sense! Thanks for sharing that.
Old 8th August 2006, 23:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one very big reason why Pioneer sells more in grey. For years Pioneer (as a company) have supported and fuelled the grey market in India, encouraging semi-knock-down, completely-knocked-down and hand carried/smuggled units into India. THAT WAY, they can sell all they want to and not worry too much about after sales, service, support marketing nothing.
Now they have appointed an official distributor to conquer the sectore that needs bills and warranties, the corporate customers, companies and to some extent, the educated buyers.
I don't think the problem is as much the pricing of the official pioneer, as it is the way it is brought down to India.

Most of these HU's are not even declared as Pioneer HUs. They're brought down in pieces as spare parts and re-assembled.
Even those that are brought down completely, are hand carried, often without cartons and protective packing.
The question of full duty does not arise, simply because there are ways around it.
The question of VAT/Excise/sales tax does not arise.
Because it is a grey market product, the installer sells it at a ridiculously low margin of 100 to 250 rupees, this often includes free installation.
The dealer has no choice, because you will go to 10 shops asking the price of Pioneer 6850 and buy from the one that quotes you lowest.

I understand, that as a consumer, the cheapest option is generally the best option, so i cannot blame people for preferring to buy pioneer from the grey.
I am just explaining to you whats going on and expressing my sympathy and understanding to the official distributor.

Also you must understand that the pioneer grey unit is a "price reference" and generally, after offerring you a madly low (sometimes lower than cost) price on the pio HU, the dealer will generally make his money from the other stuff he will sell you.
Old 9th August 2006, 00:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

well said Sam bhai

I dont understand why pioneer is doing this. why dont they come in india with full range and lower prices.....there are some hot selling models which have not been introducted with b/w and they are avalable in grey .......also the 6850 was launched first by the grey market and later with b/w.....
Old 9th August 2006, 00:24   #15
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Also you must understand that the pioneer grey unit is a "price reference" and generally, after offerring you a madly low (sometimes lower than cost) price on the pio HU, the dealer will generally make his money from the other stuff he will sell you.
This is very true ... Dealers easily con ppl and sell them TS20's and 2150 speakers and make money on them and on wiring damping blah blah...

Most Viewed