Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2015, 13:51   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade : Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Gentlemen,

I live in Noida and have just bought a new Pajero Sport. If you live this side of the world and happen to see the most strange looking vehicle, it would probably be mine :-)

ICE upgrade : Mitsubishi Pajero Sport-imag0211.jpg

Now to the point - This comes with an Integrated Kenwood touchscreen DIN - Model No. DDX4031BT. Also fitted are set of 4 speakers in the front and rear door and 2 integrated tweeters on the dash.

Well, they sound 'good', but if its possible, without changing the head unit, I would want to have 'Great' sound.

Budget : Ideally 50 K. Can be extended to 1-1.5 Lakhs if its really worth it.
Type of Music - Mostly Bollywood and mid volume levels - occasional loud parties in the car itself (but important).

Can the experts suggest what can i do. Where to go? What to install. Who to seek help from? My knowledge about music systems is seriously limited.

Looking for expert and serious help please.

Thanks.
Aroongupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 14:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: ICE upgrade : Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

I'm not sure which is a good place for audio in NCR now, but I can tell you basically what you will need.

I'm pretty sure the head unit you have would have pre amp outs. You will need 2 of them.

My suggestion is to get 2 sets of good component speakers (or coaxial for rear doors in case you don't want to make a hole for the tweeters), one 4 channel amp to power these. A sub and a separate monoblock amp to power it.

These together will give you great sound, and depending on which brands you go for you can spend anything from 50-150k just on these.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 15:28   #3
BHPian

Congratulations for the new possession and also be WARNED this is a thread where you will soon be seeing spending most of your time and blowing your budget easily on the path to achieve Audio Nirvana

There are few good audio shops in Delhi NCR which are very well detailed in the Team-BHP Delhi Directory Chapter, please visit that page for more information.

You have defined a good budget in the start for the audio requirement, as a baseline rule I will suggest listen to few of the setup's first and then decide what you want to pursue in terms of speakers upgrade and others.

All the very Best.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Components, A Subwoofer, 4ch Amp, Monoblock. Remember to get the best wiring, enough damping if required, and focus on buying a really good pair of amps. Also please remember not to get those silly bass tubes, but a traditional 12" sub in a ventilated box
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2015, 15:31   #5
BHPian

I think one of the paths you can take is to look for sound processors which can integrate with your OEM Head Unit and enhances your overall sound system without loosing on the warranty part.

Add a processor, Upgrade the factory speakers on the car which are mostly crappy to say the least and add a good subwoofer with an amplifier to suffice that can give you a good sound system with nice tuning.

OR You take the Red Pill and go all the way in upgrading your entire sound system with Speakers (Components for fronts), Better HU, Amplifiers, Subwoofer (1/2 depending how much you want to shake your vehicle), Damping and Quality set of Wiring harness.
invincible7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 17:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroongupta View Post
I live in Noida and have just bought a new Pajero Sport.
Now to the point - This comes with an Integrated Kenwood touchscreen DIN - Model No. DDX4031BT.
Budget : Ideally 50 K. Can be extended to 1-1.5 Lakhs if its really worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
I think one of the paths you can take is to look for sound processors which can integrate with your OEM Head Unit and enhances your overall sound system without loosing on the warranty part.

Add a processor, Upgrade the factory speakers on the car which are mostly crappy to say the least and add a good subwoofer with an amplifier to suffice that can give you a good sound system with nice tuning.
I think Invincible covered much of what you can do.

However IF your OEM Kenwood is not integrated to the rest of the car functions you can upgrade the HU to the 5035 or 7035. The 5035 and 7035 offer time alignment for front, rear and subwoofer channels. If you are able to upgrade the HU it might be a cheaper option as you will get some resale for the old HU.

If your Kenwood unit has been OEMed to integrate some of the car functions (non audio) then it might make better sense to use an external processor like an Alpine or Audison so as to retain these additional (non audio) functions. Otherwise a processor like the Bit 10 (Audison) would be a good one to get.

Beyond that a good 4 ch. amp and monoblock will start at 20K (14K for the monoblock and 6K for the 4ch.)

A good 12" sub with a custom box and 4 speakers (a set of components for the front and coax for the rear) will start at about 30K.

As usual with most things you get what you paid more, if you are a sensible shopper. So it can be expected that a 20K monoblock amplifier will sound better than a 14K on (all other things remaining equal).

Before we go into details, ask around, listen to some good sound systems. Identify what sound you like and then proceed.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 22:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
they sound 'good', but if its possible, without changing the head unit, I would want to have 'Great' sound.

Try this - sort of complete package

HARMAN MAKES PREMIUM CAR AUDIO MORE AFFORDABLE AND EASIER TO INSTALL WITH THE LAUNCH OF JBL ‘AUTOSTAGE’ IN INDIA

being a complete plug-and-play wiring system, the products can be fitted in all cars without tampering with stock wires. In addition, with no splicing or fabricating required like in a typical aftermarket system, these systems utilize the factory head unit, helping consumers avoid the cost of updating the head unit and related fees.

http://www.harman.in/news/press-rele...ium-car-audio/
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 07:30   #8
BHPian

Thank you guys,

Seems the world has become too advanced and complex these days. While I come from the Boney M days, where ICE meant and was spelled as 'eesteereo' system.

Now have come monoblocks _ which i though used to be a type of pump that i studied during my engineering days. Good wiring i thought was fire resistant and Havells manufactured it. Comps means computer to me ...not components. Best speakers were Ahuja's being manufactured in their Okhla Phase 3 plant near Modi Mill. Stocks used to be what we kept in Our stores and refrigerator. Amp used to be the unit in which as an electrical engineer we measured current. ICE used to be and still is something I put in my Black Label each day. Phew.

All these terms are scaring me. While I am trying to get hang of them and can understand some bit now, guys the answers are not really helping much. Bhai Log, I need 'ICE for dummies' kind of help. Like someone to tell me -
Arun Bhai - Budget kitna hai?
I say - yaar 50 K tak.
Someone to tell me - Idiot that is not enough! Get lost
I will ask slowly - accha kitna?
He will say - ok make it one
I will say softly and unsure and in a tone to please him- ok done. But sound should be okay jee.
He will say - with a flair and attitude - Oye bindaas. Don't u worry.
Then he says - go to south ex - Ramsingh and sons. Meet Shyam Singh. Take my name. I would have called and instructed him. Get following done -

Head Unit - u dont wanna change so leave it
Get Harman X735637 Amp - 15000/-
Get 4 Disco Speakers - Y67677D - 20000/-
and ur sound would be crazzzzzzy man.

Guys...can someone help like that? Else I will have to simply go to Driven and surrender myself in the hands of Mr. Rana to help me or screw me - as per his choice.
Aroongupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 11:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While I come from the Boney M days, where ICE meant and was spelled as 'eesteereo' system.

Now have come monoblocks

All these terms are scaring me

Head Unit - u dont wanna change so leave it
Get Harman X735637 Amp - 15000/-
Get 4 Disco Speakers - Y67677D - 20000/-
Else I will have to simply go to Driven and surrender myself in the hands of Mr. Rana to help me or screw me - as per his choice.
My days in audio predate Boney M by a decade or more and we used to have better companies than Ahuja even then - Novaaudio (Sushil was probably the only true audiophile in the bunch), Sonodyne (they are still around Anandiya has taken over from his father Ashoke Mukherjee), Eastern Electronics (Norge - also still around), Cosmic (Manubhai Desai's sons tried making bike helmets but they were years before their time), and a late comer Pulz (Rui left and retired to Goa, Ramakrishnan aka Ram still carries on selling mostly to Doordarshan). Also worth mentioning are the Mulchadani brothers of BUSH Radio (though I dont know if they did any real designing). Like Cosmic (who labelled products from Luxman, the Mulchandani relabelled products from Akai). Ok enough of a history lesson.

Like I said in my previous my previous post, does the existing HU also serve for any other non audio related functions of your car?

If so then your best bet is to add an external processor like the Audison, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate etc.. if not your best bet is to upgrade the HU.

It is better to be prepared before you go to any shop. Listen to friend's systems.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 23:26   #10
BHPian

Navin,

with my limited understanding, what is Integrated with the HU are these 3-4 things :

a) The reverse parking video
b) Mobile connectivity thru bluetooth for making calls
c) Map My India's navigation software comes pre-installed
d) Map My India's integrated screens with the fron seat headrests (UHMP 900)

does that info help?
Old 21st January 2015, 20:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys.......
Bhai Log, I need 'ICE for dummies' kind of help......
Sir, you own my favourite SUV this side of an LC200. Congratulations on that and I must say that its a real bold choice of colour you've made!

Coming back to ICE, I will help you the way you want! But these choices are just mine, you can always go for a completely different set of equipment or mix and match!

1. Rip that HU off, I am 100% sure its not linked to any of the cars feature, and that it sounds pathetic. You need a Pioneer 8690 touch screen HU, for roughly 30 thousand rupees.

2. Front speakers: My choice would be the Focal Flax series, the PS 165 F or the PS 165 FX. Another tried and much liked option would be the Rainbow DL series component set. Options from brands like Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Ground Zero, Helix, Morel are also available. 25 thousand rupees.

3. Rear%2

Last edited by 599gto : 21st January 2015 at 20:24.
599gto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 22:30   #12
BHPian

Dear 599gto, somehow your message seems truncated here...but I got the full text in my mailbox.

For the benefit of others, I am pasting it here -

Sir, you own my favorite SUV this side of an LC200. Congratulations on that and I must say that its a real bold choice of color you've made!

Coming back to ICE, I will help you the way you want! But these choices are just mine, you can always go for a completely different set of equipment or mix and match!

1. Rip that HU off, I am 100% sure its not linked to any of the cars feature, and that it sounds pathetic. You need a Pioneer 8690 touch screen HU, for roughly 30 thousand rupees.

2. Front speakers: My choice would be the Focal Flax series, the PS 165 F or the PS 165 FX. Another tried and much liked option would be the Rainbow DL series component set. Options from brands like Hertz, Rockford Fosgate, Ground Zero, Helix, Morel are also available. 25 thousand rupees.

3. Rear speakers: A good set of Co-Axial speakers, preferably from the same line-up as the front components. 10-12 thousand rupees.

4. My favourite part of the set up, Amplifiers. A four channel amplifier, to power the two set of speakers, front components and r two set of speakers, front components and rear co-axials, my choice would the the Rainbow iPaul 400.3, this is one no nonsense amplifier. Will pair very well with both the above speaker brands. Has enough power and SQ properties to drive most speakers you throw at it. 30 thousand rupees. If you go higher up in the budget, Mosconi is an amplifier brand which is hard to beat, Helix is equally good!

5. Mono block amplifier, to drive the sub woofer, currently I would look at the Digital Designs AM1 for around 20 thousand rupees.

6. Now the sub, the Rainbow DL-S12, for around 12k is a good option, otherwise Ground Zero, Rockford Fosgate, Hertz, Gladen are all nice brands. Because the PS is big car you can go in for a dual sub set up, but just one sub is enough for an SQ seeking set-up! I have heard good things about the Digital Designs LE M12 D2 Sub with enclosure.

7. Roughly 15-20 thousand for good wiring and RCA cables to match the equipment, AIV cables are a rage these days but I would suggest you get the power cables from Rockford Fosgate or Kicker. RCAs from AIV are good, Silverado series RCAs should suffice.

8. Damping is must on all Japanese cars and I am very sure the Pajero will need it too, though truely I have never seen a Pajero Sport with its door pads off. Two boxes of Dampmat(yes thats a brand of damping sheets) should be enough. 18 thousand rupees.

Because the Mono and the Sub doesn't have anything to mess with the sound signature, you can go in for a combination that gets the job done most efficiently in your budget.
However, you will have to be careful while selecting the speakers and the four channel amp, go for a combination that pleases your ears the most, even if demands ruining your budget.

As I said earlier this would me choice of equipment, because I have auditioned and read about most of the stuff. Other members can pitch in more options and combinations.

And don't kill me for over shooting that 1.5 lakh budget by a few grands.
Aroongupta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 22:38   #13
BHPian

Now my reply -

I BOW to you!

This is exactly what i needed, ECJHACTLEE!

Many thanks to you. If you are in and around Delhi, you just won yourself a big treat - time-place-venue-menu-daaru; everything of your choice! Just let me know.

Never knew such equipment existed. Never thought different amps drive the speaker set and the sub. Now that I studied each one of them and went through the technical literature of each comp, it all makes sense.

Right now I am more than happy to express myself. I just cant thank you enough.

And don't you bother about the budget bro! Shackles are broken. Strings are untied. Let it flow now...
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a) The reverse parking video
b) Mobile connectivity thru bluetooth for making calls
c) Map My India's navigation software comes pre-installed
d) Map My India's integrated screens with the fron seat headrests (UHMP 900)
No I do not believe any of these are related to your car's functioning. It is just that I have seen many a HU that integrates the car's air con system and such into it's functions. Looks like your HU does not.

Quote:
This is exactly what i needed, ECJHACTLEE!
Aroon, first rule of buying anything - look around. While Rainbow makes very good equipment - try to listen to everything from Focal and Morel to Sinfoni and Dynaudio.

And as 599GTO recommended damping is a must. You will surprised but the ROI on this.

Last edited by navin : 22nd January 2015 at 12:53.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:41   #15
BHPian

I will suggest go to a reputed ICE shop in Delhi and ask them to give you a demo of one of their installations to get a feel of sound and equipment's installed (don't forget to carry a some of your favorite tracks in a CD/pen-drive), see if it matches your tastes, get a quote and work on with your homework in finalizing the equipment. "
Many things good look on paper and sound way different in real environment and everyone has different listening tastes as well so one may not suit all.
Also do visit some of the installs in the Sound Show off threads, will give you more insights in terms of updating you on today's installation and equipment being used around.
invincible7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks