Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2015, 16:01   #1
psn
BHPian

JBL Autostage: Plug & Play ICE upgrade for Indian cars

Hi, having been trying to research on the new JBl autostage Plug and play system. I saw the advertisement in Autocar and even a new video has been posted on it, but haven't come across any real review of it.

I have a Skoda Fabia and the music system, can be termed ok at best. It comes with 2 speakers in the front and 2 tweeter on the A-pillar, thus the sound is never enveloping. Also while the base is strong, the high frequency is not crisp. Therefore, looking at options to improve the sound.

The initial press release said that Harmon Kardon has especially designed this system for OEMs like, TATA, FIAT and VW group cars but can be used for any car brand and this is what got me excited about this option.

Can anyone help me with a real review? Any better (read more economical option) without compromising on sound quality? Kindly remember, am not wanting to change the HU.

Thanks
psn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 17:02   #2
BHPian

re: JBL Autostage: Plug & Play ICE upgrade for Indian cars

I have also been searching all over the net for the same , but so far apart from the launch news I have not seen any review.
I am looking forward to install a set up to my car but even the local dealers are clueless!
Old 27th January 2015, 12:46   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: JBL Autostage: Plug & Play ICE upgrade for Indian cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Hi, having been trying to research on the new JBl autostage Plug and play system. I saw the advertisement in Autocar and even a new video has been posted on it, but haven't come across any real review of it.

I have a Skoda Fabia and the music system, can be termed ok at best. It comes with 2 speakers in the front and 2 tweeter on the A-pillar, thus the sound is never enveloping. Also while the base is strong, the high frequency is not crisp. Therefore, looking at options to improve the sound.
To be honest I have not heard the JBL Autostage either but I know pretty much what to expect.

Some might remember Harman/JBL's MS8 (jokingly called the MS-Late after the time Andy Wehmeyer and his team took to release the product to the market). See link http://ms8-eu.jbl.com/

What the Autostage package does is take a multi-channel Class D amplifier (and a fixed delay DSP) similar to the one used in the MS-8 (not the same one, I said similar) and mate it to a set of components and a set of coax speakers.

If you study the MS8 literature you will notice it too had 8 channels of Class D amplification built in. The MS8 however give you some control over the DSP's parameters and also RCA out to add bigger amps.

This Class D amplifier has speaker level inputs and all one then needs to do is replace the existing car speakers with the supplied JBL speakers, connect the speaker output of the existing car HU to this Class D amp and you have an upgraded car audio system.

This Class D amp also has LF preamp outputs that allow you to add a subwoofer (JBL or other brand) to your system. If the subwoofer is added then the Low Frequency will NOT be sent to the components and coax speakers in the system.

I wont call the Autostage a new system, it is just a one brand package of a Class D amp and 4 speakers (1 pair of components and 1 pair of coax). I wont called Autostage a 2000 or 3000 watt system as it is advertised either. It's amps are designed to give you about 30-40W rms per channel. For 90% of us this 30-40W rms is more than enough.

More here.
http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-carstage-c...l#!prettyPhoto

So what does the Autostage do that is unique.
a. it is one package
b. it has a DSP, a fixed DSP but at least some delay and EQ is added.

Beyond this you can do the same with any multi-channel amp and speakers. Most multi-channel amps have speaker level inputs.

Summary.
Is it the next best thing since sliced bread - NO
Does if offer people the opportunity to upgrade their OEM systems with minimum fuss - YES.

I prefer it to think of this as the Bose lifestyle system for car audio. Does nothing that can't be done (even better) with other brands, but give the user all he needs in one box with idiot-proof connect-ability.
navin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
To be honest I have not heard the JBL Autostage either but I know pretty much what to expect....

I wont call the Autostage a new system, it is just a one brand package of a Class D amp and 4 speakers (1 pair of components and 1 pair of coax). I wont called Autostage a 2000 or 3000 watt system as it is advertised either. It's amps are designed to give you about 30-40W rms per channel. For 90% of us this 30-40W rms is more than enough.

I prefer it to think of this as the Bose lifestyle system for car audio. Does nothing that can't be done (even better) with other brands, but give the user all he needs in one box with idiot-proof connect-ability.
Thanks for explaining things so brilliantly I was infact thinking exactly the same towards the end of your post (relating its purpose to that of the Bose lifestlye system).

I am in the need for something similar to power 5 mid-bass speakers (one in each door and one in the center of the dashboard), 2 tweeters (in the front door) and an 8 inch floating sub. If there isn't any solution for those many channels then just 3 mid-bass speakers (the ones in the front doors and the one in the canter of the dashboard), 2 tweeters and the sub should do the trick as well no? Names that were brought up were the Alpine PXA-H800 with "imprint" sound, Audison bit one 1, Helix (don't remember the model name) Could you help explain the differences between these, which would be more suitable to my needs and how much I ought to look at spending?

Thanks

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th January 2015 at 15:13.
Old 28th January 2015, 12:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I am in the need for something similar to power 5 mid-bass speakers (one in each door and one in the center of the dashboard), 2 tweeters (in the front door) and an 8 inch floating sub.

Names that were brought up were the Alpine PXA-H800 with "imprint" sound, Audison bit one 1, Helix (don't remember the model name) Could you help explain the differences between these, which would be more suitable to my needs and how much I ought to look at spending?
Firstly thank you for the compliment.

Secondly the Audison Bit 1 (2 of my cars have this), Alpine H800 (I used to have the 650), Alpine's Imprint (my mom's car HU has this), and similar solution from Helix, Rockford Fosgate, etc.. do not have integrated amplifiers. The only one from this list I recollect having an integrated amp was a processor from Brax but then it cost a lot too (upwards of Rs. 1L). Brax is related to Helix but that is a topic for another conversation.
http://www.braxhifi.com/products/pro...tem_id=228185#

JBL's MS-8 did have integrated 35W rms amplifiers (I am not sure about exact wattage as I now own a pretty senile memory). The MS-8 however did allow the user some flexibility in DSP settings. The Autostage does not.

See JBL MS-8 below
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27642_JBL-MS-8.html

35-50W is more than adequate for front and rear speakers but might be a tad short for your subwoofer.

BTW what is a floating subwoofer?
Old 15th March 2015, 13:27   #6
psn
BHPian

Hi, an update to this forum. Just came to know that on snapdeal, JBL carstage is available for Rs.19190. Will try and visit the JBL studio in the city today and see if I can listen to it, and maybe now that the price is a little more reasonable, maybe buy it.
Will keep this forum posted.
psn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 22:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:

I am in the need for something similar to power 5 mid-bass speakers (one in each door and one in the center of the dashboard)......
Why do you need the center speaker at all, any specific reason?!?! because if you want the sound imaging to be at the center of the dashboard, a decent DSp or even a half decent HU can do it for you.

For good DQ all you need is a good source aka aftermarket HU, a set of components speakers up front, a set of coaxials as rear fills and a decent sub woofer, which can take in roughly 200-300 watts RMS per channel and a set of amplifiers to feed the required amount of power to the speakers.

A DSP will definitely add up to sound quality but thats if you go active with it, otherwise its a waste, also, a system is as good as its weakest link, so even if you use the best dsp money can buy, it will still only be able to process the dirty signals that the HU feeds it with, and DSPs dont come cheap.

Quote:
Firstly thank you for the compliment.

Secondly the Audison Bit 1 (2 of my cars have this), Alpine H800 (I used to have the 650), Alpine's Imprint (my mom's car HU has this), and similar solution from Helix, Rockford Fosgate, etc.. do not have integrated amplifiers. The only one from this list I recollect having an integrated amp was a processor from Brax but then it cost a lot too (upwards of Rs. 1L). Brax is related to Helix but that is a topic for another conversation.
http://www.braxhifi.com/products/pro...tem_id=228185#

JBL's MS-8 did have integrated 35W rms amplifiers (I am not sure about exact wattage as I now own a pretty senile memory). The MS-8 however did allow the user some flexibility in DSP settings. The Autostage does not.

See JBL MS-8 below
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_27642_JBL-MS-8.html

35-50W is more than adequate for front and rear speakers but might be a tad short for your subwoofer.

BTW what is a floating subwoofer?
navin sir your posts can make a deaf guy understand ICE, they are that brilliant and simplified.
Mosconi has just come up with a set of amplifiers with integrated DSPs, with affordable price tags, http://mosconi-system.it/products/gladen-d2-line/ .
The Gladen D2 80.6 DSP costs 59,990 Rs, in India, which is a very competent price i think, because a separate DSP and separate amps from a manufacturer like Mosconi, will cost a kidney for sure.
Eagerly waiting for you to throw in one of these in the Camry and give us an insight! hahahha
Old 16th March 2015, 11:24   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am in the need for something similar to power 5 mid-bass speakers (one in each door and one in the center of the dashboard), 2 tweeters (in the front door) and an 8 inch floating sub.
The Autostage from everything that they mention here offers 4 speakers and a small amp in one package.
http://harmanaudio.in/jbl-autostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
The Gladen D2 80.6 DSP costs 59,990 Rs, in India....Eagerly waiting for you to throw in one of these in the Camry and give us an insight! hahahha
The 80.6 is 3 times the price of the Autostage and JBL throws in the speakers too (I am not comparing product quality here). However from what I read the Mosconi is a competent product for slightly smaller systems than my Camry. For my Camry I needed 7 output channels (the 80.6 offers only 5 if you consider 2 channels for a subwoofer) as my front channels HAD to be active.

For anyone who can make do with passive crossovers for front and rear the 80.6 might be a good option.
Old 16th March 2015, 22:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Why do you need the center speaker at all, any specific reason?!?! because if you want the sound imaging to be at the center of the dashboard, a decent DSp or even a half decent HU can do it for you.
I was asking cause that is what my Kizashi runs out of the factory. I really appreciate the center speaker cause it raises the stage and didn't want to loose that effect in the process of upgrading it
Old 17th March 2015, 22:06   #10
BANNED

Quote:

please give me your suggestions ,set up is

OEM HU of Ertiga ZDI
Subwoofer 12" Kenwood ....6 years old ,good condition
Pioneer 600w4 channel - 6 years old model ..still in good condition
Front - Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6.5" - Components
Rear - Infinity Reference 6502ix

Two channel for components (front)
Two channels for Woofer

Now the problem

1...Kappa has lot of distortion/disturbance and the voice suddenly become low and keeps fluctuating .I bought it through snapdeal so no warranty ,took it for service and they say speaker is perfect and kappa doesnt have complaints ,asked to check the speakers in some other car and also the wiring

2..the output/effect from rear speakers is very negligible.only the tweeter are dominating from front .

3.. The bass is relatively late from subwoofer ..infact is very odd.

I am totally not happy with the set up and technician says i have to change the HU for better quality

My doubt is the set up first right and if the HU needs change please let me know a good HU below 15k .How many preouts are required

HU with Bluethooth will be great but cost is going to shoot up then not a necessity

I had same woofer and amp with kicker speakers & Alpine single din HU in my swift ,it really rocked!!

i feel i have down graded from kicker to infinity

suggest
Old 18th March 2015, 11:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
please give me your suggestions, set up is
It will be better if you post this query in "Ask the Guru's" section.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/

Quote:
Some might remember Harman/JBL's MS8
I have not heard of the MS8 but is sure looks like they have an identical product from the series.

http://in.jbl.com/product-detail-new-jbl-in/ms-a.html

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 18th March 2015 at 11:28.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
set up is

OEM HU of Ertiga ZDI
Subwoofer 12" Kenwood ....6 years old ,good condition
Pioneer 600w4 channel - 6 years old model ..still in good condition
Front - Infinity Kappa 60.11CS 6.5" - Components
Rear - Infinity Reference 6502ix

Two channel for components (front)
Two channels for Woofer
Try to locate the issue, disconnect all and use only the amp (Gains =0) and the front components with the HU (no need to change to reduce the distortion). If there is distortion (assuming HU is at sane volume), the issue is with either the amp\HU, most probably amp, to eliminate the possibility of HU, connect only the mids to the HU w/o the amp. If there is no distortion in any of the above cases check the other threads how to tune the setup or check with a decent installer to tune the system.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 18th March 2015 at 11:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks