Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What would you buy ? Reputed brands or new but good stuff ?
Believe only in buying well known brands like Pioneer, JBL, Sony etc. 20 52.63%
Would buy a new brand if it looks and sounds good with warranty. 11 28.95%
Would buy a new brand that looks boring but sounds good at same price with warranty 7 18.42%
Would buy a new brand if it looks and sounds good at cheaper price and no warranty 0 0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2006, 16:17   #1
BHPian

What Would You Buy And What The Market Offers !

I was thinking of having a Poll of what is our perspective while buying new ICE, this is towards consumers,
We have seen a recent surge in the number of new brands selling in market , some small, some comparitively bigger, some good, some not so good, but the consumer has loads of options and at times it's confusing, so, suppose you walk into a Showroom and a Seller shows you a host of names you know of like JBL, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer etc
And along with that they show you brands you have never heard about but the dealer claims it rocks ! so what do you do ?
I am also told by some dealers that a Consumer's confidence in a Brand is influence by how the product looks or is presented, I feel that's a myth, but what do you all think ?
Here's a poll and it would be great if you guys can tell me what made you select your vote.

Last edited by 929RON : 17th August 2006 at 16:20.
Old 17th August 2006, 20:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the first poll in the ICE section that looks sensible.
Well done 929.
Old 17th August 2006, 21:13   #3
BANNED

A nice poll!
I would buy a new brand if it's good looking but has to sound very good (according to my taste).

And Ofcourse I will think twice and do a lot of homework before going for a newer brand.
Old 17th August 2006, 21:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would buy a new brand if it looks & sounds good at the same price as existing brands. But these instances are rare nowadays with a lot of crap brands flooding the market & claiming to be better then all the other established brands.

If a new brand is chaper & claims to be as good as the regular brands I would be very very apprehensive about it, simply because I think that in today's connected world if there is a brand which is as good as an established brand & is not known widely, there might be something fishy about it. Eg. being something like Ultimate Audio claiming to be manufacturers for JBL etc. What a bunch of Bull !!

Last edited by iraghava : 17th August 2006 at 21:59.
Old 17th August 2006, 21:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would not recommend new brands for most unless you have access to a good reliable reapir shop incase the manufacturer closes shop. However I prefer boring looks to sharp looks. you see I drive a boring car. even my wife says I am boring.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
I would not recommend new brands for most unless you have access to a good reliable reapir shop incase the manufacturer closes shop. However I prefer boring looks to sharp looks. you see I drive a boring car. even my wife says I am boring.
Navin I agree completely & as the age old adage goes "Never judge a book by its cover"!!

P.S. Does your wife really think that a Yellow RS with a Winnie the Pooh in the back window is boring??

Last edited by iraghava : 17th August 2006 at 22:04.
Old 17th August 2006, 22:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had to wait for 2 weeks for my compos to come to my local car accessory shop. I couldnt get a demo and still cant!!! of a compo at ANY shop in TVM.

Worth getting branded stuff, but SOny too is branded
Old 17th August 2006, 22:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Ultimate Audio claiming to be manufacturers for JBL etc. What a bunch of Bull !!
I can give you 10 examples where two different brands are manufactured in the same factory.Mainly in storage media and other electronics.I dunno bout ice though.
Old 17th August 2006, 23:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz
I can give you 10 examples where two different brands are manufactured in the same factory.Mainly in storage media and other electronics.I dunno bout ice though.
Let's not get OT ok. I can give you 10 examples of manufacturers around the world using the same car platform & engines & still ending up with poor products. But that's not the point here, ICE is an altogether different ball game so don't confuse it with things like Computers, Computer Parts/Accessories or Car Platforms.

And just for the record Sam/Gunbir have ratified that despite its claims Ultimate Audio DOES NOT MAUNFACTURE FOR JBL and hence my example of the same.
Old 17th August 2006, 23:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Coming to the point we all walk into an accessory shop knowing exactly what we want after doing a lot of research.Our initial choice may have depended on many factors such as,budget,personal choices,combination with other ice stuff such as amp etc.

One wont necessarily even look at another brand after this research But if my research involved going to these shops and checking out the product,then my perspective would have been different than when i had done my homework on t-bhp.

I would have to choose option 2.Pardon my ignorance but i believe pioneer came to india way before jbl.Only because of its quality and marketing(and ppl like sam),jbl is where it is today.If nobody had given it a chance,where would it be today?

binz
Ps:took jbl only as an example

@iraghava
Yea i understood.Eitherways,i didnt question jbl audio and their manufacturers.Hope you got my point.
peace!

Last edited by binz : 18th August 2006 at 00:00.
Old 18th August 2006, 00:12   #11
BHPian

I dont know why, but i have gone mad only after one brand.... Even if other brands are better than my loving brand, i still will not change my mind..

May be thats why i JK crowned in Mr JBLFy..lol. And its perfectly said by SAM, that there are no users, there are fans..
Old 18th August 2006, 00:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Anything that sounds and looks good, i'll take it. Don't have any probs with experimenting with new stuff as long as its reliable and well known.

And if everything fits the budget, would get it with B&W, but somethings like DVD HU's and Amps would be very expensive so those would be bought without B&W as they cost a lot less..
Old 18th August 2006, 01:55   #13
BHPian

This is a way / method

This is not for the Experienced, they have their ways .

Always buy from someone you can trust of someone your friend trusts etc etc.
If you walk into a Showroom and want to buy a Audio setup etc etc, and had for Ex: JBL on mind, and your Dealer who is a relaible one tells you that he can give you a product as good, then insist that he at least shows you a demo (This way you have first hand experience), and warranty on paper.
Sometimes I have seen Dealers fool people by not charging VAT and writing the total in a Quotation Sheet and people believe it's a bill.

Another tip : Whenever you buy a new brand, try to give it a day before you decide, the internet is a load of info, here's the checklist :

-> First thing try to look up the Brand's website, looks for common stuff like if there are spelling mistakes or logical errors in the specs. This shows how serious they are as a company.
-> Go on Forums like these and see what people have to say, or just google a review of the model number of the product.
-> While buying amps , If you don't get a Demo, at least check if the amp is CEA Rated, this proves that they will produce at least that much power.

Here's the logo you need to look for,

ENJOY BUYING ICE

Last edited by 929RON : 18th August 2006 at 01:57.
Old 18th August 2006, 02:03   #14
BHPian

Also , ULTIMATE manufacturing for JBL ??
Now this has to be made up by the Dealers who are selling it.
Well our consumers don't even know that the So called canadian brand ULTIMATE does not even sell in US or Canada or UK or anywhere I checked. So where is this brand from ?? Its chinese as Gunbir had pointed earlier.
Well I am not saying anything that is made in China is bad, if there are standards maintained in production then they can produce good stuff, like JBL itself is made in China, but the brand is very very consistent as far as i have seen.
Only one thing I fear, there is so much influx of Grey market stuff for JBL and prices dropping each day, hope it does not become another Pioneer.
I don't think SAM will let that happen.
Cheers !
Old 18th August 2006, 10:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
P.S. Does your wife really think that a Yellow RS with a Winnie the Pooh in the back window is boring??
Yellow? Yellow? Mine is silver but it's got a winnie the pooh nonetheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks