Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 14:33   #16
Senior - BHPian

Could someone guide me about damping requirement for Getz?

How much is required and what will it cost?

Do I need to damp only the front doors (As the speakers are installed there)? or the entire car?
Old 12th February 2008, 14:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know about Fonomat dealer in Bengaluru ?
Old 12th February 2008, 15:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Could someone guide me about damping requirement for Getz?

How much is required and what will it cost?

Do I need to damp only the front doors (As the speakers are installed there)? or the entire car?
about 10 sq feet each door. total 20 sq feet. approx Rs 3000. Since Getz door is well built a little less would be required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Anyone know about Fonomat dealer in Bengaluru ?
You can use noise kill , PM Bass&Trouble for the same. Available for Rs 150 per sq feet (12 inch x 12 inch)
Old 15th March 2008, 15:06   #19
BHPian

How much would it cost to soundproof the doors and trunk of my Fiesta?Would it be necessary to do the same for the engine bay?Where can I get Wurth or our Indian makes in Chennai?Thanks.
Old 15th March 2008, 17:00   #20
BHPian

Gunbirji, what kind of materials should i look for ? Do you know of any specific brand/material that could double as a damping material ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Last time I checked, our FonoMat worked out to be the cheapest commercially available branded product, retailing for Rs 220 per 10"x10" mat. In a comparison with Dynamat Original, we found Fonomat to be more effective, easier to apply and to have far better adhesive. Out of the Dynamat range, I can really only recommend Dynamat Extreme. But it is a bit expensive though.

Back to the original question, regarding alternate materials, a good place to look for such materials are hardware stores that sell waterproofing supplies. Though mostly not as effective as application specific damping products, you can find some great alternate materials that are cheap. This especially makes sense if you plan to do extensive damping within a small budget.
Old 17th March 2008, 12:29   #21
BHPian

Reading this thread, I am wondering if any of these damping materials could be used to reduce the engine noise and vibrations also. Oh yeah my ride, its a Safari 3.0, and any improvement in the NVH levels would be greatly appreciated.

So, what do the gurus say about this slightly unconventional application?
Old 17th March 2008, 13:35   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Reading this thread, I am wondering if any of these damping materials could be used to reduce the engine noise and vibrations also
I think this would require modifications to the engine mount. Now that would be a thread on a different section of this forum.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2008, 13:47   #23
RAC
BHPian

Hi. I read in other threads about cotton waste being stuffed in the boot and used as a sort of a damping material.
Is cotton waste an effective damping material AND is this an effective method for a small car - Alto for using a sub?
Old 17th March 2008, 15:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think this would require modifications to the engine mount.
I infer this to mean that an attempt in this direction is not going to be an easy one. Thanks for the response navin!
Old 17th March 2008, 15:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Hi. I read in other threads about cotton waste being stuffed in the boot and used as a sort of a damping material.
Is cotton waste an effective damping material AND is this an effective method for a small car - Alto for using a sub?
cotton waste is not good damping. to damp car panels use sound deading material like dynamat. for you sub's box use polyfil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I infer this to mean that an attempt in this direction is not going to be an easy one.
actually it is in the wrong section. I guess with a bit of exprimentation with the moorings of the engine it could be done. but at ICE we dont talk engine-vengine. If you do The Yeti will have you for dinner. Mind you he prefers livers and kidneys (kaleja/jigar) and the still beating hearts of little boys :-) Just kidding.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2008, 16:07   #26
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
cotton waste is not good damping. to damp car panels use sound deading material like dynamat. for you sub's box use polyfil.
Navinji, I meant - is cotton waste good enough for damping the Alto boot as i use a sub.
I am using CS1204B sub in my alto. This damping method and material sounded good since it can be a a complete DIY and may not cost more than 200.00 .
Anyway, I guess there goes the plan till I save enough for dynamat or such material.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Navinji, I meant - is cotton waste good enough for damping the Alto boot as i use a sub.
I am using CS1204B sub in my alto. This damping method and material sounded good since it can be a a complete DIY and may not cost more than 200.00 .
Anyway, I guess there goes the plan till I save enough for dynamat or such material.
Cotton is light in weight. By damping means we have to increase the weight of the door panels and metal parts so that they don`t vibrate with sound. But cotton cannot do. It can fill in places but will not stop them from vibrating.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:39   #28
BHPian

^^ Gurujis Please answer my question also
Old 17th March 2008, 17:23   #29
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Cotton is light in weight. By damping means we have to increase the weight of the door panels and metal parts so that they don`t vibrate with sound. But cotton cannot do. It can fill in places but will not stop them from vibrating.
Dear LBM. Pardon my noobie rant on this topic.
So here do you mean that stuffing about 4-5 kgs of cotton waste in the panel gaps of the boot lid will only add to the weight of the boot without any or much use or effect?
Old 17th March 2008, 17:39   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear LBM. Pardon my noobie rant on this topic.
So here do you mean that stuffing about 4-5 kgs of cotton waste in the panel gaps of the boot lid will only add to the weight of the boot without any or much use or effect?
There will be difference but not that good. Also the cotton will settle down in few day time it will not remain stiff. And every body is a noobie in some department.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks