Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2006, 08:41   #1
BHPian

New Honda City ZX Exi - ICE install finally done

After spending countless hours in the last few weeks, I've got my ICE finally setup. Changed my choices atleast a dozen times before finally deciding what to get. Man, I'm so relieved I got this done. Selecting components was a pain in the *** while keeping the budget in control. To the list -

Alpine CDA-9857
Kenwood KAC-9452 70Rms @ 4ohms x 4ch
JBL 607C front components
JBL CS1204B subwoofer
Pyle 4 guage amp wiring kit
  1. Didn't get rears installed coz I'm not a fan of rear sound stage. Front sound stage is what matters to me.
  2. The front compos were installed with the help with two MDF spacers for a perfect fit. The tweeters were installed at the sun shade/roof (whatever you call that ...duh. Exactly like wiking's install) with the help of clamps. Angled them and they point to their opposite seat harness for optimal stereo imaging.
  3. Got all my stuff (except the amp) from Preetam of Sound Factor, Bangalore. Absolute pleasure to deal with. I can vouch for his services any time any day.
  4. The installation and wiring was done by Nasir and his team from Sound Factor, Bangalore. These guys are very professional. The installation and wiring job they've done is top notch. I've looked around for good installers but could find none here in Hyderabad. I was clear about one thing, that I will not compromise on the installation job. I told Preetam about it and he instantly said he'll send his team out by the evening bus to which I agreed. The guys were here by 8 30 am and left by 12 30 pm from home. They did some local sightseeing and then later in the evening headed back from Bangalore.
  5. I insisted for running the RCAs on the other side of the car just to make sure they were no noise or interference issues. Couldn't do that coz. the RCAs weren't long enough. So had to run the power cables and the RCAs through the same side. This issue is made out bigger than its made out to be. or was I just plain lucky? I've had no noise or interference issues whatsover.
  6. The Amp was mounted onto a MDF board in the boot of the car to the side.
  7. Took a whole day to set the gains and LPF/HPF on the amplifier. Used a multimeter to set the gain correctly. I've got access to an oscilloscope as well so will check if everything is perfect again later in this week.
  8. Ch 3/4 were bridged to accomodate the subwoofer.
Am I happy? You bet I am. My pals simply love the clean sound and bass. The JBLs are kick *** and absolutely superb. At that price, I dont think you'll find anything better. If there is one thing I'm sad about, its the Alpine HU. No problems with the quality of sound. But its the lack of LPF/HPF controls on the head unit. Also the biolite isn't impressive and I felt it was an absolute waste of money to get the 9857 just for this feature. Should have gone with the 9855 or even better the old 9830 which has "bass engine plus". Doh...this thing doesn't even have time correction. In my opinion, the 2005 alpine HU line up is better in all aspects.

Will post pics later in the week. Thanks folks for all the help.
Old 23rd August 2006, 11:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean
The tweeters were installed at the sun shade/roof (whatever you call that ...duh. Exactly like wiking's install) with the help of clamps. Angled them and they point to their opposite seat harness for optimal stereo imaging.
this is bad bring down the tweeter to the base of the a-pillar it will make the sound mix with the 6.5 woofer with this much distance all the 4-drivers would be making a lots of confusion......

But congrats on your new install man.......Enjoy the sound and Boom properly.......and dont forget the pics..........

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 23rd August 2006 at 11:29.
Old 23rd August 2006, 12:19   #3
BANNED

I agree with LBM about tweeters. It's not where it's supposed to be! Get it more towards the lower part of the A pillars or near the RVM pods. That'll make a big difference.
BTW, Nice setup you've got. And very sad to see one more in the ALPINE haters' club. I joined them some time ago. Their HU dont do any good these days it seems. Their amps are also detoriating slowly. Sad! Sad! Sad!
Old 23rd August 2006, 18:44   #4
BHPian

thats where I wanted it man but the problem is drilling and all needs to be done and I didn't want to take that chance as my first service is due. Can you guys set me up with a pic showing the exact location which you are describing? Need not be a Honda City..just for reference.
Old 23rd August 2006, 18:58   #5
BANNED

Quote:
thats where I wanted it man but the problem is drilling and all needs to be done and I didn't want to take that chance as my first service is due. Can you guys set me up with a pic showing the exact location which you are describing? Need not be a Honda City..just for reference.
You can check my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ICE+setup+Alto

Hope you got it!!
Old 23rd August 2006, 20:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
You can check my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...ICE+setup+Alto

Hope you got it!!
Hey...how did you fix it there??..clamps or some other means??
Old 23rd August 2006, 20:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

this could be as considered.....

Old 24th August 2006, 06:39   #8
BHPian

I don't like the second installation. In which car was the first install one in low bass?
Old 24th August 2006, 06:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfire
Hey...how did you fix it there??..clamps or some other means??
Looks like a hole was drilled and the tweeters were glued.
Old 24th August 2006, 09:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

ewll wow, wannabelean, there's a first!

Firstly, it's a pleasure to see someone take pains into the details of his car audio system.
Secondly, you got Preetam's team from Bangalore to install in your car at hyderabad. Good Golly, I must say, that's something, lol.

Enjoy your music. And Keep up the spirit, this is what ICeing is all about.
Old 24th August 2006, 10:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the second installation. In which car was the first install one in low bass?
both are of my car first one is the pioneer tweeter and the second one is the iridium.....

a hole was made in the a-pillar plastic to flush mount the tweeter there......
Old 25th August 2007, 14:11   #12

Help requested for ICEing Honda city ZX Gxi

The Gxi model comes with a factory fitted car sterio - Alpine CDE-9845EM with two front and two rear speakers. I want to add a Subwoofer to this. Can you suggest a good one to go with the above configuration. I want to add on to the existing setup. What Amp and subwoofer works good with the above and what price range does that come in?
Old 26th August 2007, 23:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearmusiclover View Post
The Gxi model comes with a factory fitted car sterio - Alpine CDE-9845EM with two front and two rear speakers. I want to add a Subwoofer to this. Can you suggest a good one to go with the above configuration. I want to add on to the existing setup. What Amp and subwoofer works good with the above and what price range does that come in?
I''m a newbie when it comes to audio and nowhere near as good as some of the Gurus here, but I think that adding a sub and mono amp to your OE setup might actually drown out / overpower your OE speakers, as almost without exception, OE speakers are never that great (the ones in my Civic sucked).
What you could do before the sub could be to invest in better speakers and a 4-channel amp.
Old 27th August 2007, 00:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree. At the very least you need to change your front speakers first, BEFORE you add an amplifier and sub.
Old 29th August 2007, 18:08   #15

Thank you.
I understand that the OE speakers aren't good. I have the following questions -
(1) If I were to change the speakers, should I change ALL the four? I don't understand why sam said that I should change the front speakers.
(2) Does having an amp and speakers (including Sub) from the same brand make a better setup than the one with different brands?
(3) How does Blaupunkt as a brand compare with JBL and others as a whole (quality, reliability, price-worthiness)?
(4) I see Blaupunkt setting up a chain of distributors/dealers across the country (including Pune where I live). I don't see such easy access for other brands. From this point of view is Blaupunkt a better option to go for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks