Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2015, 00:15   #1
BHPian

Playstation 3 install in a Tata Safari?

Hi guys, I tried searching this but couldn't find it hence starting a new thread.

Admins IF it's inappropriate then please delete / move the thread accordingly.

So I am booking the new Tata Safari Storme this week. Mostly 4x4 Black colour. I am very keen to install my old PlayStation 3 in it.

PS3 can be used to play games while on long trips, watch movies (using it's Blue Ray DVD player or USB port which supports upto 1 TB HDD), stream YouTube Videos (provided I get enough 3G on the move).

I need advise on going ahead with the same. I have some questions in mind, would highly appreciate your inputs regarding the same.

Please advise me for the following:

1. Location - Where should I install the PS3 console? (Please keep in mind it's power source, length of HDMI cable (PS3 to the Screen) & convenience to switch it on, off, insert DVDs etc.)
Options: Rear Hatch / 5th door, Below the Driver or front passenger seat or somewhere in the boot?

2. Brands - Which are the best screens available in the market considering PS3 has HD output.

3. Type - Headrest mounted 2 screens (Like the old Safari VX) or central roof mounted 1 big screen (Like the current Ford Endeavour 4x4)?

4. Alternative - Should I buy screens available in market (mostly Chinese) like World Tech, Nippon etc or should I get 2 HD Samsung / Nexus tablets (7") etc and connect them using connectors and tablet mounts?

5. Remote - Need ideas to store the PS3 remotes securely securely.

All inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Shantanu1970 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 00:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Playstation 3 install in a Tata Safari?

Not at all experienced with such stuff but I consider myself to be fairly tech savvy, still..forgive me if this seems like a noob question: Are the PS3s internals assembled in a way that they can withstand the stresses of cabin jerks when encountering rough roads? More importantly, would it not be harmful to the hard drive of the PS3? Perhaps an SSD upgrade is recommendable
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 00:58   #3
BHPian

Although it is possible to set up a PS3 in a car, there's a reason why it's called a home entertainment system

Not trying to put you off or anything but let me state why it isn't a great idea. Assuming you have the old fat ps3 which consumes about 370W and a centrally mounted LCD which, let's say consumes 160W? Putting the math in the equation, you'd need about 50-60 amps from the 12V socket. You're definitely not going to get that from the cigarette socket, you're gonna need a direct connection to the battery and boy! That's a bad idea. Even if you use a DC to AC power inverter, you'd need quite a powerful one. Also obviously assuming you'd only play it when the car is in momentum, you'd better pray your car has a pretty powerful alternator.

The ps3 is a pretty delicate device and it overheats like mad, I myself have one and thought of the very same thing but quite honestly, it just isn't a realistic option. It definitely can't handle the vibrations and you risk damaging sensitive components and plus it needs a breathable environment. Mounting it somewhere safe is another dilemma. In the manual, Sony clearly states that you shouldn't use a DC / AC inverter with the ps3.

Might I recommend using something portable like the PSP instead?

I'm not an expert but these are merely my thoughts on the matter. The real advice will come from the ICE gurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Not at all experienced with such stuff but I consider myself to be fairly tech savvy, still..forgive me if this seems like a noob question: Are the PS3s internals assembled in a way that they can withstand the stresses of cabin jerks when encountering rough roads? More importantly, would it not be harmful to the hard drive of the PS3? Perhaps an SSD upgrade is recommendable
Yup, you're right, the hard drive definitely isn't made for the road.

Last edited by createrkid : 1st May 2015 at 01:06.
createrkid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 01:22   #4
BHPian

This Playstation + Tata Safari combination rings bells. IIRC, Tata had launched a Safari which had a PlayStation and other stuff like a refrigerator etc. in the rearmost seats.

I was quite excited to try my hands on 'gaming' in a car, but didn't get the opportunity. It is not impossible but I guess, the concerns voiced by Ishaan and createrkid are valid and should be given serious consideration before taking the plunge.

How about buying two tabs and a Wi-Fi dongle? Gaming(not upto PS3 level, but can be called gaming nonetheless) + net connectivity. Win-Win situation!

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 1st May 2015 at 01:24.
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 08:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
This Playstation + Tata Safari combination rings bells. IIRC, Tata had launched a Safari which had a PlayStation and other stuff like a refrigerator etc. in the rearmost seats.

I was quite excited to try my hands on 'gaming' in a car, but didn't get the opportunity. It is not impossible but I guess, the concerns voiced by Ishaan and createrkid are valid and should be given serious consideration before taking the plunge.

How about buying two tabs and a Wi-Fi dongle? Gaming(not upto PS3 level, but can be called gaming nonetheless) + net connectivity. Win-Win situation!

-Bhargav
Yes, there was a Limited edition with a playstation installed from the factory.
Not sure if it was PS1 or PS2.
Old 1st May 2015, 09:53   #6
Team-BHP Support

It was the PS2 IIRC.

Having a PS3 inside the Safari sounds good but would you be really doing so much of gaming or blu-ray viewing inside the SUV? I am not sure. The titles for the PS3 are best enjoyed on a large’ish display in a peaceful environment not those puny tablet-like 7” displays behind the head restraints. I suggest you switch to a couple of capable Android based tablet with a 64 GB mSD storage support so you can load some fun-to-play titles on the move and some movies, music etc. Sorry if I missed it but who are going to be the primary users of the PS3?

That said, the current cheapest PS3 available in the market comes with a 12 GB flash drive and you will have to invest in a 2.5” hard drive and I am not sure how much shocks these drives could withstand before giving up. As someone said, an SSD would be a better bet - zero moving parts inside.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2015, 14:14   #7
BHPian

The idea of having a PS on the go is tempting, very tempting. However, at the end everything boils down to the practicality and feasibility. As rightly pointed out in the above comments, the circuits/chips used in such electronic devices are delicate and I am not sure if these chips/circuits will be able to withstand all the jerks, which are bound to come on the way given the Indian road conditions. If you try and avoid those roads/potholes, you lose the freedom/flexibility of owning an SUV which is again not a very good thing.
Old 1st May 2015, 14:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Are the PS3s internals assembled in a way that they can withstand the stresses of cabin jerks when encountering rough roads? More importantly, would it not be harmful to the hard drive of the PS3? Perhaps an SSD upgrade is recommendable
I think I you have a valid concern. But other than the HDD, the disk drive which plays the game discs may not be able to handle all the vibrations. I have seen audio CDs stuttering because of the rough terrain. Might be the same case with Blu-ray as well.
Old 1st May 2015, 17:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Are the PS3s internals assembled in a way that they can withstand the stresses of cabin jerks when encountering rough roads? More importantly, would it not be harmful to the hard drive of the PS3? Perhaps an SSD upgrade is recommendable
IshaanIan : I am not sure about it, I have read somewhere that most of teh DC customised buses have PS3s, Xboxes, Wiis installed in them, hence assuming it can handle all the abuse.

Quote:
Not trying to put you off or anything but let me state why it isn't a great idea. Assuming you have the old fat ps3 which consumes about 370W and a centrally mounted LCD which, let's say consumes 160W? Putting the math in the equation, you'd need about 50-60 amps from the 12V socket. You're definitely not going to get that from the cigarette socket, you're gonna need a direct connection to the battery and boy! That's a bad idea. Even if you use a DC to AC power inverter, you'd need quite a powerful one. Also obviously assuming you'd only play it when the car is in momentum, you'd better pray your car has a pretty powerful alternator.
createrkid: Is it possible to add a more powerful alternator (if that helps)? Does DC to AC Inverter have a fuse or some sort of protection for either the device connected to it or the car battery?

Quote:
Octane_Power : Yeah thats my option #2 to add 2 Tablets and use internet from my phone's Hotspot.

Quote:
Yes, there was a Limited edition with a playstation installed from the factory.
Not sure if it was PS1 or PS2.
Akshay4587 : It had a PS2.

Quote:
Sorry if I missed it but who are going to be the primary users of the PS3?
Gannu_1 : Mostly my friends who get bored sitting in the car while on long road trips.

All others, thanks for your inputs.

Shantanu Sharma
Old 1st May 2015, 17:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Maybe completely not what you have in mind but instead of modifying your PS3 and your new car why not just get a hand held PSP instead ?
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2015, 10:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Playstation 3 install in a Tata Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantanu1970 View Post
IshaanIan : I am not sure about it, I have read somewhere that most of teh DC customised buses have PS3s, Xboxes, Wiis installed in them, hence assuming it can handle all the abuse.
Thats the thing they are custom which would most likely include custom wiring, upgraded batteries, upgraded alternator, a large dc/ac converter and lastly a generator to run this when the engine is off.

If you do take this forward I recommend you use the 5th gen PS3 which uses about 190w power.
The only two player games that would be playable on 7" monitors would be those that are not split screen.
I find that the ps3 is very delicate compared to the ps2. (Have both the fat versions)
Old 13th June 2015, 21:27   #12
BHPian

Re: Playstation 3 install in a Tata Safari?

PS3 and Indian Cars wont go well together. Inspired by the old limited edition Safari with PS2, I wanted to install a PS3 too in Tata Safari Dicor(dont have one yet) and I have a fat and slim versions lying around. When I asked about the possibilities to an auto electrician who was also a techie, he was like "Are you nuts?" .

Well he was true - PS3 needs lot of power to run and DC isnt an option. Going the AC way is complex on the car's electricals. And the PS3 heats up like anything after a little gaming so we need to take proper care while finding a place to fix it, with extra ventilations or cooling solutions etc.

Next, the bluray drive and HDD goes faulty soon enough in Indian road conditions or your PS3 gets YLOD easily. Last but not least, ps3 games and bluray movies cannot be enjoyed on avg. car screens of upto 9.5" . You need a bigger screen with hd resolution and that would cost a lot even if you find a suitable place inside car to fix it. I use a 32" led with ps3 at home and while it is just about okay for games, it doesnt do justice to bluray movies. So using it on tiny car screen is like using Ferrari for bumper-to-bumper city drives.

All these factors made me rethink my decision to put PS3 in Safari. We can still install a PS2, PSP or PS Vita on it though, connected to roof-top screens (9" atleast). Dont use headrest screens for it, its not worth it.
XtremeTorque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks