Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2006, 18:06   #61
BHPian

i checked in the web..but couldn't find the exact specs of this one.. what the power output (rms)?
Old 31st August 2006, 18:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Here you go ........
Image Dynamics CTX4 Coaxial Car Speaker: Product Features
Old 31st August 2006, 22:48   #63
BHPian

thnx man..

i checked out few shops in hyderabad...but they haven't even heard of Image Dynamics...
Forget that I am even struggling to find the 2 JBL speakers i short-listed

anyone from hyd please help
Old 1st September 2006, 06:25   #64
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdXing
thnx man..

i checked out few shops in hyderabad...but they haven't even heard of Image Dynamics...
Forget that I am even struggling to find the 2 JBL speakers i short-listed

anyone from hyd please help
Simple!!! Just try and contact Gunbir for any info on ID! Yup, I mean Image dynamics!

You can't find JBL??? No way man! Is'nt there somebody called Preetham or something.... in HYD??
Old 1st September 2006, 12:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

I am learning it for the first time, so here are quite a few questions out of curiosity....
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
BTW it is easier to blow out a speaker (esp a tweeter) using less power than more power.
by "using less power" you are necessarily referring to clipping, not low powerd clean signal, right?

what is the significance of "esp" here? can sub-woofers and woofers also be damaged by clipping (while amount of power being within acceptable limit)?

Quote:
When you use too little power the amp will CLIP. when an amp CLIPs it produces a lot of high frequency energy. Tweeters are not designed to handle that and quitely die. woofers on the other hand will complain (bad distorted sound) before dying.
Does that mean high frequency energy which spreads beyond upper audible frequecy limit causes the damage? (because otherwise it should be audible, no?)

Are there any protective measures available to avoid tweeter damage, either built-in or otherwise as some add-on?

Last edited by santosh.s : 1st September 2006 at 12:40.
Old 1st September 2006, 12:35   #66
Senior - BHPian

Got the answer to my 1st question in Sam's post #42, please skip it
Old 1st September 2006, 14:18   #67
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to answer on Navin's behalf, but I think I know where he's going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
by "using less power" you are necessarily referring to clipping, not low powerd clean signal, right?
Yes. But let me please point out, that less power does not remain 'less' when you clip.

Quote:
what is the significance of "esp" here? can sub-woofers and woofers also be damaged by clipping (while amount of power being within acceptable limit)?
I think 'esp' refers to the fact that you could probably thermally torment a woofer for much longer than a tweeter.

All drivers are susceptible to clipping woofer or whatever. The degree of tolerating clipping is different.

Quote:
Does that mean high frequency energy which spreads beyond upper audible frequecy limit causes the damage? (because otherwise it should be audible, no?)
Clipping is audible, whether in subs or tweeters. I think Navin meant to say that the game is over sooner than you realized that you ran into clipping. Frequencies higher than audible pose no exclusive threat to tweeters as such unless you clip those buggers too.

Quote:
Are there any protective measures available to avoid tweeter damage, either built-in or otherwise as some add-on?
You can use a poly-switch or a resistor like a bulb in parallel. I prefer the poly-switch, but it's gotta be accurately matched to the tweeter in concern.

Best protective measure however is to have none of those two and just be sensible with your finger on the volume control.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 1st September 2006 at 14:22.
Old 1st September 2006, 14:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
Best protective measure however is to have none of those two and just be sensible with your finger on the volume control.
Yeah, just be cautious when your fiddling around!!
And of course dont have any drunken friends cranking up the HU !!!!

p.s : santosh dude, you hijacked adxings thread, you have posted your reply on the wrong thread !! lol anyway the mods should be along to sort this out.
Old 1st September 2006, 15:13   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah
Yeah, just be cautious when your fiddling around!!

p.s : santosh dude, you hijacked adxings thread, you have posted your reply on the wrong thread !! lol anyway the mods should be along to sort this out.
No probs man..
I am going to get the GTO427 hooked up to the amp today itself.. hope that the installer does a good job..

Any advise on how to tune this particular setup is more than welcome.

Though repetitive, I am gibing my system configuration again

Sony HU (basic model)
fornt JBLGTO427
rear JBL GTO936
amp sony504

I have noticed there are 2 gain controls in the amp, one for front and rear. Any guidelines/precautions on how to tune those for this particular setup?

Thanx again all of u for the valuable suggestions..it has been really a very good first experience with team-bhp.
Old 1st September 2006, 15:21   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think there was one alternative mentioned earlier- set amp gain control such that it should not clip even with HU volume at max level!

Quote:
I had just hit "quote" button... but I hope it should be informative and useful to adxings too
Old 2nd September 2006, 14:35   #71
BHPian

guyz

i connected all 4 speakers(GTO427 and GTO936) to the amp and the sound is good.

BUt after running continuously for some time, some strange 'phat phat' sound was coming out sometimes. The frequency of this sound increased as time went by.

Today morning, there is no such strange sound.

Please enlighten me as to what may be the cause of this problem and whats the remedy?
Old 2nd September 2006, 15:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Not sure.. wait till one of the experts troubleshoot.

Possibly Wiring ?? bad connections that might be moving around ??
Old 2nd September 2006, 18:37   #73
BHPian

well...more update on this... i went to the shop and it was observed that the sound came mostly while honking...it came otherwise also but not so regularly.

the mechanic said that he will fit a capacitor or something like that to get rid of this problem - does it make sense ?

all the technical gurus plzzzzzzzz help me as to what may be the cause of this problem?
Old 2nd September 2006, 19:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdXing
the mechanic said that he will fit a capacitor or something like that to get rid of this problem - does it make sense ?
No!! He is just trying to make money off you.
Old 2nd September 2006, 20:16   #75
BHPian

Quote:
No!! He is just trying to make money off you.
So what should i do?? please advise.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks