Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:32   #31
J.Ravi

Re: Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Dadoji Konddev Stadium
MMI has listed this place as Dadoji Konddeo Krida Preksha House and Dadoji Konddev Gate 2. I checked in my 5-year old MMI Lx130 navigator with v 9.1 maps just now. I just typed Dadoji, searched and it showed these two places along with others.
  (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2015, 16:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

For the benefit of my fellow Bhpians and to answer my own query of the battery icon not displaying on the screen, pls. find the resolution below:

Steps as below:

Step 1:

Go to Settings and to USB. If not selected, select the "Mass storage" option.

Connect your MapmyIndia device to your laptop using the USB. Pls. ensure that the firewall/anti virus is not blocking the access.

Step 2:
Open the MapmyIndia Folder.

Step 3

In this folder, you will see two files by the name ordinal.exe and ordinal.lic.
Select the application file and open it in notepad

Step 4

Browse across many settings and Go To "Show Battery".
Either the value here is 0 or blank.
Change it to 1.

Step 5
Save the Notepad and exit from the laptop.

Step 6
Re start your device.
The battery icon is now on the main screen of the GPS navigation home page. Enjoy!!

Please Note:

Do not change an other value or text in the ordinal file as it can have an adverse effect of the GPS operations.
arnabchak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2015, 13:12   #33
BHPian

Please see the update from Google IO: http://mashable.com/2015/05/28/googl...fline-support/
Old 29th June 2015, 09:18   #34
BHPian

Thanks Arnab, for such a comprehensive review. I have a question. How fast does the device reroute, if at all? I am about to place an order for the device and after reading your 'U turn" experience, this question came up.

And talking about frustration, during my recent roadtrip to Rajasthan, I was going to Jodhpur from Jaipur, Navigation was by Navi Maps ( MMI), the hotel Kuchaman Haveli was listed, but the last stretch of around 1km it took me through a market right next to the Ghantaghaar ( clock tower) in peak traffic, infested with Tongas, Autos, zillion cycles and shoppers. I lost almost 5 kgs. in that 1 km stretch because sweating, in peak December chill. Later I came to know there's a much easier route, maybe additional 500m. but roads are proper, wide enough to accommodate trucks like my xuv and Innovas.

For interested members, the device is available at ebay.in for 4500/= odd. I am buying it from there only along with fellow member Sabyasachi ( xetaglgrocks).

Last edited by me_sid : 29th June 2015 at 09:19.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Thanks Arnab, for such a comprehensive review. I have a question. How fast does the device reroute, if at all? I am about to place an order for the device and after reading your 'U turn" experience, this question came up.

And talking about frustration, during my recent roadtrip to Rajasthan, I was going to Jodhpur from Jaipur, Navigation was by Navi Maps ( MMI), the hotel Kuchaman Haveli was listed, but the last stretch of around 1km it took me through a market right next to the Ghantaghaar ( clock tower) in peak traffic, infested with Tongas, Autos, zillion cycles and shoppers. I lost almost 5 kgs. in that 1 km stretch because sweating, in peak December chill. Later I came to know there's a much easier route, maybe additional 500m. but roads are proper, wide enough to accommodate trucks like my xuv and Innovas.

For interested members, the device is available at ebay.in for 4500/= odd. I am buying it from there only along with fellow member Sabyasachi ( xetaglgrocks).
Dear Sid

Thanks for liking the review.
There has been some concerns in the route that MMI dishes out but on a whole, the experience has been favourable.

Infact, just this Saturday, I used the device for a non descript place called Durshet, about 110 kms from Mumbai. The device worked well and though it took me through a high toll road, the directions were spot on.

With regards to your re route query, the routing happens fast- within 10 seconds in most cases and if the latch on satellites are low(less than 3), within 30 seconds.
The U turn issues are mostly faced if I take the Palm beach road in Vashi and not take the Express Highway through Kharghar.

Overall, I would rate it as 8/10. In certain cases, like you mentioned in your Rajasthan trip, you may use your discretion.
MMI has two main settings that may change its routing options:

1) Fastest Route
2) Shortest Route

Both these routes may be separate and routing plots may also be different. Check if you have selected any of these options and change accordingly.

Ebay price for MMI LX345 @ Rs. 4,500/- is good.
I bought mine @ Rs.4799/-.

Just check whether the the map version is the latest- 9.1 Ver.
If by any chance you get an older version, you can always connect with MMI customer care and ask for a free upgrade within 6 months of your date of purchase.

Recommendation to go ahead with a purchase and you will be reasonably happy(barring few glitches).

Last edited by arnabchak : 29th June 2015 at 12:33.
Old 29th June 2015, 13:01   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Sid, I have already purchased the device. A few things to keep in mind
  1. This device is not as well built compared to a Garmin device. Then again Garmin devices are doubly priced.
  2. I have used MMI Maps on Navimaps and Nokia Here maps both. MMI is much more detailed compared to here maps.
  3. 95-98% times MMi is pretty well detailed. Rest one has to trust intuition and own judgement.
  4. I wanted to keep separate devices for Phone and GPS. Becomes a serious problem at times with the phone becoming hot and discharging rate becoming fatster than charging rate. The phone can always serve as a backup device.
  5. One can always opt for a Garmin device with HERE maps and also load MMI maps in it. you can actually choose which map to use for navigation. Comes out to be at least 12k. I did not want to spend that much.
Old 5th July 2015, 23:05   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkapilb View Post
Google maps does take you on ride some times........
Can't agree more with this. Last December, I did a road trip to Amritsar and Himachal, from Kolkata. En route to Amritsar, we did a night halt at Gurgaon. From Allahabad till Gurgaon I was using Navimaps on my android, and directions were pin perfect. When we entered Gurgaon via MG Road, there was blinding fog and I had to depend on the GPS. Unfortunately, my phone died, saying that the discharging rate was higher than charging. So I opened up Google maps on my wife's Android phone and searched for the hotel. It led me confidently to a place and said "Your destination is reached". Well I was in front of Mr. Surender Singh Dhillon's house(I don't know who he is, BTW). I tried to backtrack my way in the fog and lost my way. Finally, with 10% charge on my android, Navimaps rescued me and took me to the hotel at 12.30AM. NEVER TRUST GOOGLE MAPS FOR INTRICACIES!!!
Old 10th July 2015, 12:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
The battery icon is now on the main screen of the GPS navigation home page
Thanks for this simple resolution and the battery icon is now on the main screen of the GPS navigation. We always connect the charger to the device as the battery back up is very poor and thereby, charging cable icon is always on the main screen. Is there any way to remove this icon and list the battery icon permanently ?
Old 10th July 2015, 13:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Drive View Post
Thanks for this simple resolution and the battery icon is now on the main screen of the GPS navigation. We always connect the charger to the device as the battery back up is very poor and thereby, charging cable icon is always on the main screen. Is there any way to remove this icon and list the battery icon permanently ?
Dear Grand Drive

I am not aware if there is a walk through here.
It is not advisable to make many changes in the ordinal.exe as most of the commands are in this application.

Unfortunately, I do not know coding. Some one from the software field may give you a hint.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2015, 14:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... We always connect the charger to the device as the battery back up is very poor and thereby, charging cable icon is always on the main screen. Is there any way to remove this icon and list the battery icon permanently ?
If you do that, you won't be able to figure out whether the unit is charging at all or not, wouldn't you?
Old 13th July 2015, 15:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If you do that, you won't be able to figure out whether the unit is charging at all or not, wouldn't you?
The charging cable icon is displayed whenever the unit is connected to the port. So, I couldn't figure out whether the unit is fully charged or not. I either want the battery icon to be always present on the GPS navigation screen or the charging status must be indicated like the ones we have it in the mobiles ( through percentage or progress of the battery status). Is it possible ?
Old 13th July 2015, 15:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The charging cable icon is displayed whenever the unit is connected to the port. So, I couldn't figure out whether the unit is fully charged or not. I either want the battery icon to be always present on the GPS navigation screen or the charging status must be indicated like the ones we have it in the mobiles ( through percentage or progress of the battery status). Is it possible ?
Not with PNDs. In fact Garmin doesn't even display the battery charge status other than in the main screen. One can figure out whether it is on battery or external power only when it announces absence of external power, and the brightness goes down a bit. My Garmin unit battery lasts for about 90 minutes, which is not good enough for long drives so one has to use the charger. From 0 charge, it charges to full charge in about 2 hours.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 15:39   #43
BHPian

A few updates to arnabchak's post above:
The file name is ordinale.ini not ordinale.exe. It is a standard Windows configuration file. It also have a few other options. Turning animation setting to 1 turns menus to appear in a flip card animation, It eats battery though. Turning showlatlon option gives you your current GPS coordinates.

I want to know a few things
1. How to check map version?
2. Can any geotagged image be used? if yes where are they stored?
Mohitkumaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2015, 18:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohitkumaar View Post
How to check map version?
Thanks for the settings to know the current GPS coordinates.

To know the map version, follow this path:

GPS->About->Map sources & copyrights->You get to know all the details about the device.
Old 16th August 2015, 23:46   #45
BHPian

As this is a Windows CE device, anyone tried/had any luck with installing any old Windows Mobile 6.1 apps on it? like TCPMP?

Most Viewed