Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2015, 16:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Don't know about TOMTOM but i have found that for Indian roads, GARMIN works brilliantly. It uses NOKIA HERE maps and has semi annual updates.

Using the Nuvi L45M for last one year and has never let me down so far - including highways and remote places.
Hi, off topic here but wanted to know if the Garmin device can be charged/powered via a car's audio USB input port.

Thanks.
Old 1st October 2015, 16:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi, off topic here but wanted to know if the Garmin device can be charged/powered via a car's audio USB input port.

Thanks.
Probably not. I tried once to recharge my smartphone through the HU USB port - unsuccessfully.

Give it a shot though.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 16:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Probably not. I tried once to recharge my smartphone through the HU USB port - unsuccessfully.

Give it a shot though.

Regards,
Saket
My Samsung Mobile charges via the Audio USB but my Dash Cam does not. Hence wanted to know if the GPS can be powered by the audio USB as the 12 volt socket is hogged by the dash cam power cable. Hard wiring is the last resort.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2015, 17:18   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Samsung Mobile charges via the Audio USB but my Dash Cam does not. Hence wanted to know if the GPS can be powered by the audio USB as the 12 volt socket is hogged by the dash cam power cable. Hard wiring is the last resort.
When I connected my wife's iPhone to my car's Blaupunkt HU, the HU displayed some message like 'device error' or something like that. Rather than charging it, the HU tried to search for music files on it and no wonder that it did not find one and hence threw an onscreen error.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 13:54   #50
Senior - BHPian

I am considering this device (Map my India LX 345) as i wanted a dedicated GPS for a long time. For the power options i am thinking something like below attached. Hopefully i will be able to power my USB drive and the GPS both at the same time by connecting this USB hub to my car audio's USB input. Any idea if this will work anyone ?

Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-usb_hub.jpg

source:

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B007RKY3O0/r...I1H5VH661Z2RF9

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd October 2015 at 13:56.
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
I am considering this device (Map my India LX 345) as i wanted a dedicated GPS for a long time. For the power options i am thinking something like below attached. Hopefully i will be able to power my USB drive and the GPS both at the same time by connecting this USB hub to my car audio's USB input. Any idea if this will work anyone ?

Attachment 1422168

source:

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B007RKY3O0/r...I1H5VH661Z2RF9

I always wondered if these type of device will put stress on the source / input. Because it's all upto that single USB which need to work hard - probably four times harder - does that pose any risk ?

I think in case of electrical points putting load on the single source is not advisable but not sure about USB.
Old 4th October 2015, 08:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
For the benefit of my fellow Bhpians and to answer my own query of the battery icon not displaying on the screen, pls. find the resolution below:

Steps as below:

Step 1:

Go to Settings and to USB. If not selected, select the "Mass storage" option.
Can these settings be changed so that the device can be powered from the cars usb outlet? The audio usb has ie in my case a 1 amp current.
Old 5th October 2015, 12:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can these settings be changed so that the device can be powered from the cars usb outlet? The audio usb has ie in my case a 1 amp current.
Dear Sumeet

Two things to consider here:

1) Car USB is normally in the HU/ external cord. I doubt if that will be good to power the GPS without a connector cord. Also, do note that the USB pin connecting the GPS is not the regular mobile connector but the old type mini USB.

2) Any changes to the file may result in disruptive working of the GPS.

With regards to the amp, the 1 amp should not be an issue though.
Suggest you use the car charger port to power the GPS.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 15:00   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sumeet

Two things to consider here:

1) Car USB is normally in the HU/ external cord. I doubt if that will be good to power the GPS without a connector cord. Also, do note that the USB pin connecting the GPS is not the regular mobile connector but the old type mini USB.

2) Any changes to the file may result in disruptive working of the GPS.

With regards to the amp, the 1 amp should not be an issue though.
Suggest you use the car charger port to power the GPS.

The MapMyIndia device itself has the mini USB cable in the box doesn't it ? Also i am able to charge my mobile with the audio USB but my Transcend Dashcam does not power up when connected to the audio USB but instead thinks it's connected to a PC and goes into transfer mode. Hence i wanted to ask if the GPS would behave in the same way or not ?

My dilemma is that the 12 volt socket is used up by the dashcam leaving me the audio USB as the power source option. I don't really want to get hard wiring done as i don't want to modify in the car.

Thanks

Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 10:32   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The MapMyIndia device itself has the mini USB cable in the box doesn't it ? Also i am able to charge my mobile with the audio USB but my Transcend Dashcam does not power up when connected to the audio USB but instead thinks it's connected to a PC and goes into transfer mode. Hence i wanted to ask if the GPS would behave in the same way or not ?

My dilemma is that the 12 volt socket is used up by the dashcam leaving me the audio USB as the power source option. I don't really want to get hard wiring done as i don't want to modify in the car.

Thanks

Thanks
Dear Sumeet

Sorry for the delay in responding.
The MMI box includes the cable.

You could check from the audio connector but I think there are high chances it would not work.

Alternatively, you could use a two port Belkin connector.

Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-belkin.jpeg
Old 15th October 2015, 09:05   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the device online and ordered it via snapdeal.
Hi Arnab,

Although that meet to check out your MMI device did not materialize, I have ordered the unit Lx345 on snapdeal today and costed me Rs 4K. Delivery awaited.

Will be looking forward for an hands on help from you once I get the unit. Your review helped me a lot to finalize the product. I was looking for a VFM buy and along with this unit, the other model which was on my radar was Zx350 which is a 5" display and also has option for rear view camera but costing almost 13K+ on snapdeal and 11K+ on e-bay. But decided otherwise and chose to stick with the basic model.

Thanks and looking forward to meet you.
Old 15th October 2015, 10:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Arnab,

Although that meet to check out your MMI device did not materialize, I have ordered the unit Lx345 on snapdeal today and costed me Rs 4K. Delivery awaited.

Will be looking forward for an hands on help from you once I get the unit. Your review helped me a lot to finalize the product. I was looking for a VFM buy and along with this unit, the other model which was on my radar was Zx350 which is a 5" display and also has option for rear view camera but costing almost 13K+ on snapdeal and 11K+ on e-bay. But decided otherwise and chose to stick with the basic model.

Thanks and looking forward to meet you.
Dear Girish

Great to know that the review helped.
The product is certainly good and has come in real handy for me.

If you have the time today, we could meet at Hypercity GB road say at about 700 pm if it suits you.

Even I had considered the 5 in model but could not convince myself about the huge incremental costs.

Do stay in touch and look forward to seeing you!!
Old 21st October 2015, 08:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The product is certainly good and has come in real handy for me.
Hi Arnab,

Finally recd the unit which I ordered. Now ordering process was also dramatic. The first time I ordered the unit price was 4099/- . Immediately on next day I saw the price to be dropped to 3349/-. Ordered the second one and cancelled the first order. So effectively I got the MMI unit for 3349/- which makes it even more VFM.

Posting some pics of the unit I recd (sorry for hijacking your thread). The packing was immaculate by MMI & Snapdeal. Was shocked to see the warranty if purchased from e-commerce to be 3 months wherea if purchased from MMI website directly, the warranty would be for 1 yr. Why so differentiation? I could make out that the unit was Sept 2015 manufactured.

One question - does the unit has to be charged for 8 hrs as mentioned in the manual?. Its surprising that the box content does not include wall charger unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-p_20151020_174827.jpg  

Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-p_20151020_175114.jpg  

Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-p_20151020_195443.jpg  

Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-p_20151020_193829.jpg  

Review: MapMyIndia Lx345 Navigation Device-p_20151020_193847.jpg  

Last edited by ghodlur : 21st October 2015 at 08:38.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 09:07   #59
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

The MMI unit which presently comes with the cigarette socket charger for the Lx345 unit in too short only 2 mtrs I guess. This makes the cable hanging when charging the GPS unit and also interferes with the gear stick while shifting gears. Even the USB to micro USB cable is too short. Looking for a longer cable which can be routed through the roof, side panels to the 12V socket. Any ideas or link where I can buy a long micro USB charging cable?

BTW, the USB to micro USB cable when used to power the unit make the cable go hot, any particular reason? The normal current requirement is 1.5A, does the 12V socket generate more current than normal? The car in question is Grande Punto.
Old 2nd January 2016, 18:42   #60
BHPian

Hi, I have yesterday bought this device (Lx350 model).

I have been a Garmin Nuvi 55LM user and switched to MMI just to get more updated and rich maps.

I find MMI device is missing a feature which was in Garmin and this is really bothering me. The device firmware is not built to go into sleep/awake automatically when external DC power source is plugged/unplugged. Have to switch on/off manually using power button. Devices' Power Sleep and Power Off settings only work when device is idle not when using GPS. Its not been designed if someone like me has the device hardwired.

Is there a trick/hack to make the device turn on/off automatically when power source is connected/disconnected?
My wiring is hardwired to ignition of the car. Thats why!

Thanks

Last edited by cowboy45 : 2nd January 2016 at 18:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks