Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2006, 19:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Positioning the subs in a trunk

All the gurus and their disciples (lol), what have your experiences been with the placement of sub(s) in the trunks, especially of sedans? Does anyone follow a foolproof formula which ensures that a certain type of placement always produces the best results? Or do most people rely on trial and error methods and listen for what sounds best? I think Tom Nousaine had once plonked an article decrying the fuss over subwoofer placement, and with a box-in-box theory, proclaimed that it was all the same, and no configuration superceded the other so long as the subs and the enclosure in concern were exactly identical. Have any of our experiences revealed otherwise?

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 10th May 2006 at 19:19.
Old 10th May 2006, 19:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Self best experiance is facing back. In every car which I have used the back facing configration. And somewhere in the net I have also read that back facing gives max spl and flatest responce also. Also one major problem one faces in sedan is that the efficency of sound of the sub comes out less than in a open boot type. For example in a corrolla and a viva . the sound in viva will sound much better but in corrolla the sound will be reduced drastically...

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/aiming.htm
http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming2.html

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th May 2006 at 19:46.
Old 10th May 2006, 20:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

so how will one position their tubes?
Old 10th May 2006, 20:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
so how will one position their tubes?
I never used tubes so I cannot really comment on that. But in my friends car he used jbl bass tubes he used to keep them in farmost back of the car boot to get the best sound in the cabin.....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th May 2006 at 20:42.
Old 10th May 2006, 20:41   #5
BHPian

wow, very helpful thread. Sub facing towards rear works!! (from the link provided by LBM).

I always thought that sub facing towards the font would produce more effect in a sedan type vehical.

It seems strange that sub facing rear would give more bass!!! But cant argue with you people, as this is proved by the experminet posted by LMB.

Thanks,

Very very helpful indeed.
Old 10th May 2006, 20:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound
But cant argue with you people

Same here amit, I have learnt my lesson. Dont speak without a proof. Or u will be BUSTED.
Old 10th May 2006, 20:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_sound
wow, very helpful thread. Sub facing towards rear works!! (from the link provided by LBM).

I always thought that sub facing towards the font would produce more effect in a sedan type vehical.

It seems strange that sub facing rear would give more bass!!! But cant argue with you people, as this is proved by the experminet posted by LMB.

Thanks,

Very very helpful indeed.
all pix in here shows teh same
http://www.carstereo.com/installs/ra...ank&maxrows=24
Old 10th May 2006, 21:06   #8
BHPian

dudes when youll say facing back...which back is that....
towards the rear of ur car...or towards the seat
Old 10th May 2006, 21:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
Same here amit, I have learnt my lesson. Dont speak without a proof. Or u will be BUSTED.
LBM....busted is back with the new name "toy car".....he admitted in the latest thread of team BHP meet in Delhi. boy, dont make fun!

@ xtreme....back means rear of the car (dikki side) and not the rear of the seats. follow links by LBM, it says the max slam is when u point subs at the rear!
Old 10th May 2006, 22:10   #10
BHPian

Subs could also be facing sideways, not necassarily facing the seats or the opposite. Have seen quite a few installs with sub on the sides.

I would put them in all the four sides, listen to them and then decide which is the best location.
Old 10th May 2006, 22:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

I agree with 5u3zero what he said is also right. ONe can try different combination to get the best from the setup. As seen in the profile pic of 5u3zero he is facing the sub forward toward the front. I think he must be getting max spl from that only. but 5u3zero u must try the sub facing back. as some of the freq must be dipping at some point. because there is roomm for improvement every time.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 10th May 2006 at 22:45.
Old 11th May 2006, 02:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well the TEAMROCS article has been around for a while now. I personally dont think there is ONE best way. While I agree facing the boot door is the safest, it differs from car to car. also depends on what your objective is, SQ/SQL/SPL. In the end, experimenting is the name of the game. Experiment with your sub in your car with your music. Out of the many possible locations, you will find ONE which you like the most.

Sedan. 'facing the boot, ported into the cabin' works great.

In a Hatchback / notchback. Ported box with sub and ports facing the hatch.

Sealed. Subs inverted and firing into sealed encloure. Unconventional but great results.

Sealed boxes. Facing the boot door. Boot sealed from cabin.

Infinite Baffle. Facing the front.

Infinite Baffle again. Facing upwards.

More IB, in parcel shelf.

Also, the location at which you keep the sub from the hatch door will also have a great impact on the sound. For example a sub kept in the right corner of the boot may yeild louder results at driver seat but better response at front passenger seat. Or not. Like I said, experiment... results will differ in most cases.

Last edited by gunbir : 11th May 2006 at 02:26.
gunbir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2006, 13:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

In Infinte baffle Firstly the sub should be that type. For lay man the pioneer people call them free air use. If u use a enclousre type sub in a free are applicaton the power handling is reduced to 25 %.It means that a 100 watts rms sub will be able to handle only 25 watts rms power only because of little restrction of air is there which sub make when it moves. also the xmax of the sub is easliy acheived in such low power. hence less efficency. This is all true for a encloure sub. But the free sub the above theory fails. They are degsined to play in a IB configration. But beware if is very difficult to seal the boot or the back side of the sub from the front side.I myself has used this configration in my esteem very long back. will post some pics if i find them.

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 11th May 2006 at 13:02.
Old 11th May 2006, 13:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

You can use thsoe self sealing foam silicon thingies and rest of teh sealing stuff for sealing teh boot right? And by teh way are these things costly?
Old 11th May 2006, 14:18   #15
BHPian

What I recommend is experiment with the locations as every car has different acoustics.

But commonly in sedans the Subs firing towards the bootlid works the best. It also works well in the corners and spare wheel well. Generally subwoofer should have solid plane behind the emission line for best sound. Eg Seats behind the boxes or floor in case of the spare wheel install.

IB installation is not dependent on what subwoofers do you use. Its just that the installation has to be done properly in which also the major time consumed is in sealing properly the front of the subwoofer from the rear to avoid cancellation of bass.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks