Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 17:50   #1
BHPian

Review: Pioneer AVH-X5790BT 7" Touchscreen Head-Unit

HI All,

I was using a Kenwood single din player 4549SD which was bang for the buck and was very good with almost the same setup below excepting the change in 4 Channel amplifier(Arc Audio XDI 80.4). That player had a good capability to withstand and reproduce good quality sound overall and was suiting all kinds of adjustments. After about a year and half of hearing, I thought I should go for a Touchscreen player and thought of features like 24bit DAC and time alignment being a must.

Finally after zeroing in on 7" touchscreens from Pioneer since they are the only brand offering time alignment within an affordable price. I shortlisted AVH-8690BT and AVH-5790BT amongst which excepting for detachable front plate and 24bit DAC all features were available in 5790BT and costing around 5K or so lesser (dont remember the price for 8690 then) when I got the install done. Finally I decided on Pioneer 7" Touchscreen 5790BT in my car for two reasons

1. Excepting 24bit DAC and additional USB, detachable face plate, it had all the features of 8690BT.
2. $$$ saving of about 5K+ between the two players. Infact there are other players to with 6" options(2790, 4790 etc., with and without BT) giving similar features for around another 10K+ lesser with the buttons being on the side of the player(not my liking) in terms of looks.

This is a short review on its performance and sound quality and sound stage created by it.

Link: http://pioneer-india.in/shop/avh-x5790bt/

I own a Baleno and I have setup this player with the below setup
  • 4 channel Arc Audio KS Mini 125.4
  • Cerwin Vega Mono 500.1
  • Diamond D1 12" sub
  • Diamond D3 components
  • Arc Audio (6X9) 6939
This player has a variety of options from time alignment/correction, 13 band graphic equalizer, good crossover options, HPF, LPF, 4V RCA connection and 1A USB, 1 Aux.

Performance:
  1. The USB reading is quite fast considering am using a 16GB pen drive. Even if the player is stopped and the car is restarted, it continues from where the last song was played.
  2. Playing of DVD or CD is also quite fast and playing of the disks also can be resumed where it is stopped.
  3. This player has connectivity for Iphone/Android based phones via BT and this definitely helps. The pairing is quite fast but is limited to about 5-7 devices as I last remember. Then you might have to delete existing devices and add new ones. Once paired it stores your phonebook and call logs for quick access. The call quality if also very good.
  4. I havent tried the Iphone/Ipod connectivity in this player.. so cannot comment on it.
  5. With a host of options for sound adjustment and time alignment, the sound stage can be set in various ways in terms of the listening position viz., All, Front, Front Right, Front Left and OFF.
  6. 13 band graphic equalizer gives host of adjustments for even more tricky sound clarity enhancements. Alongwith the player the credit mainly goes to the amplifier which has separate channel adjustment and gain settings overall with a big bandwidth of power flowing in.
  7. The cross over settings are very flexible interms of slope adjustments and selection of bandwidth for improving the sound stage in the car.
  8. Time alignment/correction allows for having a customized hearing depending on where you are seated. This definitely feels alive with proper tuning done.
  9. All this would really be helpful if the tracks being run or anything above 192kbps, if you are running 320kbps nothing like it. Though I haven't tried FLAC formats till now, should try that too.
  10. Player has different illumination and color options based on your preference.
  11. You can even have customized wall papers for the player.
  12. The Aux is also good to hear though the only thing I didnt like is the volume is based on the volume of the connected device. But once full volume is given in the device post that the player boosts the volume given in it. This is good.
  13. One other advantage is there are about 5 levels of face plate viewing angle adjustment.
  14. one good option is display off while driving on highways or if you prefer. This sure helps.
  15. The remote doesnt help much with searching for the songs, all it can do is change the folders and the tracks while on the drive. If you wish to change the folders or search for songs, you will have to use the touchscreen which is the only disappointment because you might have to stop driving and then proceed. Its definitely distracting while driving. I have actually organized the songs in such a way that by changing folders I can get to the songs I want. a good arrangement can sort this out.
Overall, I am satisfied with the player's performance and sound quality and I do miss the 24 bit DAC converter feature. Though I wasnt much of Pioneer lover for the kinda bass it reproduces, am happy with it now since I was used to hearing JVC before. The bass tone is more sweeter in JVC than Pioneer I feel.

Questions:
  1. This player misses the 24 bit DAC, though it has all the other features of 8690. how much different would it have been if I had opted for 8690BT instead?
  2. How much impact of audio clarity would it have made with 24bit DAC in the player?
  3. Any other alternatives to have the benefits of 24 bit DAC by any other accessory like a processor or equaliser instrument or something?
Thanks for reading. Happy motoring !!

Review: Pioneer AVH-X5790BT 7" Touchscreen Head-Unit-avhx5790bt_id_white_left_a1.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2015 at 17:24. Reason: Adding representative image :)
Sunsh!nes is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 22:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Pioneer 7" Touchscreen AVH-X5790BT

Is it compatible with Honda Mobilio steering controls? And how about rear view camera?
Old 13th June 2015, 15:50   #3
BHPian

re: Review: Pioneer 7" Touchscreen AVH-X5790BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Is it compatible with Honda Mobilio steering controls? And how about rear view camera?
Missed on the Rear View Camera, being a touchscreen, it has crystal clear clarity but that again depends on the camera being used. I guess you might be able to have a steering interface which available in after market options. check with the installer, am sure you would be able to get them to work with the steering controls.
Old 30th June 2015, 18:29   #4

Re: Review: Pioneer 7" Touchscreen AVH-X5790BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsh!nes View Post
Missed on the Rear View Camera, being a touchscreen, it has crystal clear clarity but that again depends on the camera being used. I guess you might be able to have a steering interface which available in after market options. check with the installer, am sure you would be able to get them to work with the steering controls.
I have AVHX8590BT in my Altis and it works really well. There is an option to attach steering wheel controls, which usually is a jack that plugs in to the back of your unit. The other important benefit of these units is AppRadio. Connect your iPhone (or Android) and enjoy Apps like Waze, CarMediaPlayer, etc directly from your unit (with full touchscreen options) while your phone is plugged in and stuck to the windshield or other convenient and safe place.

My only trouble with these detachable plate versions is an occasional issue of screen distortion, more of a loose connection type of an issue. Get fixed by wiggling the screen a bit but that's really not a solution. Has anyone else faced this issue in the detachable models?
Old 30th June 2015, 18:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoze View Post
I have AVHX8590BT in my Altis and it works really well. There is an option to attach steering wheel controls, which usually is a jack that plugs in to the back of your unit. The other important benefit of these units is AppRadio. Connect your iPhone (or Android) and enjoy Apps like Waze, CarMediaPlayer, etc directly from your unit (with full touchscreen options) while your phone is plugged in and stuck to the windshield or other convenient and safe place.

My only trouble with these detachable plate versions is an occasional issue of screen distortion, more of a loose connection type of an issue. Get fixed by wiggling the screen a bit but that's really not a solution. Has anyone else faced this issue in the detachable models?
ofcourse the benefits of features is always the USP of these players.

However, the issue with distortion of the screen shouldnt ideally happen often. Either you are taking them out and not fitting it properly or issue with the connections in the player also where thet get locked behind the screen. Hope you have not forcefully or roughly handled them. These players are usually sturdy considering that the faceplate will be removed often. I have used a similar type of touchscreen before in JVC but never faced any issues though I was removing them every night as my car used to be parked outside my home.

I would suggest you to get it checked with the dealer who installed, if there is a issue with connections either get it fixed or replaced under warranty. This is not a common issue unless there is a defect in the product.
Sunsh!nes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2015, 18:58   #6

Quote:
ofcourse the benefits of features is always the USP of these players.

However, the issue with distortion of the screen shouldnt ideally happen often. Either you are taking them out and not fitting it properly or issue with the connections in the player also where thet get locked behind the screen. Hope you have not forcefully or roughly handled them. These players are usually sturdy considering that the faceplate will be removed often. I have used a similar type of touchscreen before in JVC but never faced any issues though I was removing them every night as my car used to be parked outside my home.

I would suggest you to get it checked with the dealer who installed, if there is a issue with connections either get it fixed or replaced under warranty. This is not a common issue unless there is a defect in the product.
Thanks for your prompt response. I rarely remove my faceplate so I doubt the problem could be due to regular removals. It definitely appears to be a connection problem since the entire screen starts "shaking" and then goes white. A wiggle as I said earlier does solve the problem, at times it takes more than one or 2 "wiggles". The only solution would be to get it checked at a Pioneer authorized service center - there's one in Andheri West (Mumbai).

Oh, and this issue started occurring just after the 2 yr warranty expired. Isin't that always the case
Old 6th July 2015, 18:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoze View Post
Thanks for your prompt response. I rarely remove my faceplate so I doubt the problem could be due to regular removals. It definitely appears to be a connection problem since the entire screen starts "shaking" and then goes white. A wiggle as I said earlier does solve the problem, at times it takes more than one or 2 "wiggles". The only solution would be to get it checked at a Pioneer authorized service center - there's one in Andheri West (Mumbai).

Oh, and this issue started occurring just after the 2 yr warranty expired. Isin't that always the case
It should be some small connection problems with the back switch.. get it checked in ASC and it should be fixed. Dont think its anything serious.
Old 7th July 2015, 18:44   #8

Quote:
It should be some small connection problems with the back switch.. get it checked in ASC and it should be fixed. Dont think its anything serious.
Here's a quick 9sec video of the issue I'm facing

Old 12th September 2015, 16:59   #9
BHPian

Re: Review: Pioneer AVH-X5790BT 7" Touchscreen Head-Unit

Hi Sunshines, Even I am planning to get this HU for my Mobilio. Was just wondering how the Mirrorlink function performs on this stereo. Does the mirrorlink with mobile works smooth or is it patchy ?
Also are you able to play videos while the car is moving or the car is required to be stationary for playing videos ?
Old 8th December 2015, 19:18   #10
BHPian

Re: Review: Pioneer AVH-X5790BT 7" Touchscreen Head-Unit

Hi Sunshine, Can you please let us know the cost of the head unit. I am also looking at replacing my SX4 OEM Head Unit with something good. Can you also mention about the Rear View Camera brand that you have opted for. The store owner told me about DHC brand and he mentioned that it would cost about Rs.2500/- and when i asked for a better brand, he mentioned that he can source Panasonic but the same would cost about 3500/-
Old 8th December 2015, 20:39   #11
BHPian

Is this head unit compatible with Alto 2008? As far as I know standard 2 din head units are compatible but I haven't seen any touchscreen HU installed in any Alto yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I was checking the product details in manufacturer's website and somehow got the answer to your query.
Attaching a screenshot for your reference. You will have to check whether your car is in the list or not. Website says steering controls works in learning mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Pioneer AVH-X5790BT 7" Touchscreen Head-Unit-img_20151208_201501_085.jpg  

Last edited by Aakarsh : 8th December 2015 at 20:54.
Old 13th December 2015, 22:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
Hi Sunshine, Can you please let us know the cost of the head unit. I am also looking at replacing my SX4 OEM Head Unit with something good. Can you also mention about the Rear View Camera brand that you have opted for. The store owner told me about DHC brand and he mentioned that it would cost about Rs.2500/- and when i asked for a better brand, he mentioned that he can source Panasonic but the same would cost about 3500/-
This HU will definitely look good in the dash of SX4. HU costed me around 23 I guess(a year ago).

I got the whole setup for rear view mirrors and sensors from GeeSonic. It comes with the RVM working as a camera display too(no seperate display unit). If you have touchscreen you can integrate with the RV camera too. Usually all Touchscreens have a camera slot too. GeeSonic(value for money and reliable) and steelmate(little expensive, but worth it, 6 & 8 sensors - front and back - reliable too) are good, though you have many brands (autocop etc., not sure) having the complete kit of camera and sensors too. Opt for the whole package.

AFAIK, I guess I spent about 4500 for the Rear sensors and camera two years back. They are still working fine. Moreover, now a days you can get a good quality camera for less than 2k with night vision. Not sure of the brand name now, but its available for somewhere between 1.5-2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Is this head unit compatible with Alto 2008? As far as I know standard 2 din head units are compatible but I haven't seen any touchscreen HU installed in any Alto yet.

I was checking the product details in manufacturer's website and somehow got the answer to your query.
Attaching a screenshot for your reference. You will have to check whether your car is in the list or not. Website says steering controls works in learning mode.
Since you have a gap ahead of the gear lever, I am sure you will be able to fit in a touch screen with some added custom made box to suit the fitting. Check with a good installer who can arrange for it. Usually you get it ready made. Its just that people dont fit in touchscreen in Alto, it can be done. Since the touchscreen is little heavy than Single din, I would suggest you to go for good single din from Pioneer, Kenwood or JVC, cost effective and good quality sound too and less $$$. If you are an audiophile there is plethora of options, all you have to do is search
Old 22nd December 2015, 18:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
This HU will definitely look good in the dash of SX4. HU costed me around 23 I guess(a year ago).

I got the whole setup for rear view mirrors and sensors from GeeSonic. It comes with the RVM working as a camera display too(no seperate display unit). If you have touchscreen you can integrate with the RV camera too. Usually all Touchscreens have a camera slot too. GeeSonic(value for money and reliable) and steelmate(little expensive, but worth it, 6 & 8 sensors - front and back - reliable too) are good, though you have many brands (autocop etc., not sure) having the complete kit of camera and sensors too. Opt for the whole package.

AFAIK, I guess I spent about 4500 for the Rear sensors and camera two years back. They are still working fine. Moreover, now a days you can get a good quality camera for less than 2k with night vision. Not sure of the brand name now, but its available for somewhere between 1.5-2K.
Thanks Sunshine! I went ahead with Sony 712BT. There was no real reason for this choice but it so happened that the dealer i went to was a authorized Sony dealer and a couple of other folks who work with Toyota & Maruti Accessories stores recommended Sony over Pioneer. Another reason was a sweet deal. I got the HU, The SX4 Fitments Plate, The SX4 connector unit & the Night Vision Camera, all at a price of Rs.29,000/-. This was the price which included all the one's that i have mentioned. The Pioneer was prices at 23500+everything else, which would anyways cost me about 27000/-

I am very happy with this system and quiet impressed by the quality of sound. There is very little lag which is of acceptable level. Overall, a good purchase for now

Last edited by joelchandra : 22nd December 2015 at 18:29.
joelchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 20:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelchandra View Post
Thanks Sunshine! I went ahead with Sony 712BT. There was no real reason for this choice but it so happened that the dealer i went to was a authorized Sony dealer and a couple of other folks who work with Toyota & Maruti Accessories stores recommended Sony over Pioneer. Another reason was a sweet deal. I got the HU, The SX4 Fitments Plate, The SX4 connector unit & the Night Vision Camera, all at a price of Rs.29,000/-. This was the price which included all the one's that i have mentioned. The Pioneer was prices at 23500+everything else, which would anyways cost me about 27000/-

I am very happy with this system and quiet impressed by the quality of sound. There is very little lag which is of acceptable level. Overall, a good purchase for now
Cool. As long as you are happy with the setup, that a good thing about the money invested. do you mind sharing the cost breakup just for information?
Old 23rd December 2015, 09:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. As long as you are happy with the setup, that a good thing about the money invested. do you mind sharing the cost breakup just for information?
The below are the list of things that were installed. All the prices below are negotiated price
1) Sony XAV 712BT - Rs 29,000/-
2) SX4 Bracket(plastics that sync with the current interiors) - Rs.1200/-
3) SX4 power socket assembly - This was required so that the original wires are not cut - Rs. 600/-
4) Night Vision Camera - Rs.1500/-
5) Installation Charges - Rs. 400/-

This were the best price quoted to me. However, i finally managed to get them all installed at a price of Rs. 29,000/-. He did not give me the individual pricing of each of them but did the whole job for that price.

I already had the below stuff installed in my car a long time back(about 5 yrs back)
1) Sony 6"x9"
2) Kicker Components in the front
3) Sony 2ch Amplifier
4) Complete wiring to support any high end system

because of the previous installation, the blow to my pocket wasn't as deep as it should have been.

Last edited by joelchandra : 23rd December 2015 at 09:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks