Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2015, 14:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation

Nice Install Gannu. What happened to the Philadelphia 835 unit ? How is the music quality and blue-tooth audio reception compared to the previous unit.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 15:25   #17
BHPian

The moment I saw that this thread was started by you, I was taken aback as to why would you replace your Philadelphia unit with a RCD510

Its heart-breaking to hear you actually got fed up of the Philadelphia 835 which you paid so much money to get in the first place.

My reasons for going with the RCD510 in the beginning was simply because it worked out to be much more of a reasonable affair, and the fact that it would be a stock VW product.

I've been using it for over a year now and I am really happy with the Delphi RCD510, it does all what I need it to do. I had exhaustively posted details of the same in moralfibre's thread for his install of the RCD510 on his Vento. Links of which I have posted below for reference.

My install: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3358251

Comprehensive Delphi v/s Bosch Chart:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post3358827

Although, I'd like to ask you Gannu, as to why did you choose the Delphi over Bosch as you have the MFD enabled instrument cluster and the integration of Delphi for that is very limited.

Also, why did you take the 9w7 module, the 9w2 would have sufficed you for all intents and purposes as far as the Delphi RCD510 is concerned.

The right way to do it is either Delphi RCD510 + 9w2 Module or Bosch RCD510 + 9w7 Module as far as I know.

Regards,
Old 8th July 2015, 17:42   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Nice Install Gannu. What happened to the Philadelphia 835 unit ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
Its heart-breaking to hear you actually got fed up of the Philadelphia 835 which you paid so much money to get in the first place.
I have already mentioned why I chose to swap the Philadelphia HU:

Quote:
- The shoddy user interface. Completely unjustified for a HU worth 40k+. I thought of living with it but I couldn’t stand the UI! I had even mailed Blaupunkt’s customer support at Germany to change this UI through a future firmware upgrade but they denied saying this is what it is and what it will be.

- Haven’t used the MMI navigation feature for a while now. I must however add, when I had used it, it worked well. Thank you MapmyIndia!

- Tracks were getting repeated after the car was restarted from a stop.

- Phone book sync is buggy. When I press the Phone button on the unit, it begins syncing the call list. Takes a while and the list appears. When I exit out and press it again, it takes the same time! This used to happen randomly.

- The DIY bug! Honestly, I wish I could rewind time back to December 2013 when we bought the Blaupunkt unit. At that time, we were noobs in this department and didn’t know much about the car. As we got to know more by fiddling during the weekends, this seems like a walk in the park! I am not kidding - it really is since the newer Polo (2013 and later) now come with the CANbus cables in the ISO connectors so there’s no need to remove the connector from the BCM to insert these cables.
Quote:
How is the music quality
To my untrained ears, I couldn’t feel much of a difference in the SQ between the two units.

Quote:
blue-tooth audio reception compared to the previous unit.
Yet to receive the BT module. Once I receive it, I will be able to tell you that.

Quote:
Although, I'd like to ask you Gannu, as to why did you choose the Delphi over Bosch as you have the MFD enabled instrument cluster and the integration of Delphi for that is very limited.
I knew about it well in advance. A Bosch unit was costing more than double of what I paid for the Delphi unit (less than Rs. 6k) and I felt it wasn’t worth it. But that’s just me.

Quote:
Also, why did you take the 9w7 module, the 9w2 would have sufficed you for all intents and purposes as far as the Delphi RCD510 is concerned.
No. With the 9W2 module, I would only be able to accept the incoming calls by pressing the Phone button on the MFSW and dial calls from the cellphone. With the 9W7 module, it displays the phonebook (dialed list, contacts, missed calls etc.) on the MFD of the cluster (yes, it is possible using the Delphi system) so I can scroll through the list using the right stalk and dial the call without using the cellphone. There may be other benefits as well (eg. changing the ring tone) which I would know once I receive the unit.

BHPian The Saint is using the 9W7 unit with the Delphi system and he is pretty satisfied with this combination.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th July 2015 at 17:43.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 17:42   #19
BHPian

Gannu: Thanks fro the update on your HU. Surprised to hear about the headaches generated by the Blaupunkt unit. I had read that thread with great interest.
My car is Fabia 1.2 HTP of 2009, currently having Dance HU of Technisat origin.

I wish to upgrade to RCD 510, as done by you. Can you advice regarding the compatibility. The aliexpress site confirms that the RCD 510 is compatible with Skoda vehicles from 2008 onwards. Your expert advice will be much appreciated.
Also, need a word on aliexpress' services- hope they are reliable!

As ever your DIY threads are very educative and detailed to the core.This one is of particular interest to me. Thanks.
jnpai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 20:16   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpai View Post
I wish to upgrade to RCD 510, as done by you. Can you advice regarding the compatibility. The aliexpress site confirms that the RCD 510 is compatible with Skoda vehicles from 2008 onwards.
If you can share some clear snaps of the stock ISO connectors on your car and the pin layout of the original stereo if your car had one, I can help you out. The system is compatible with your car but I just need to see the Black ISO connector (power) and the pin layout.

The Skoda Bolero unit is essentially a redesigned RCD 510 with a different front fascia and the green backlighting/theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpai View Post
Also, need a word on aliexpress' services- hope they are reliable!
They are but you need to read through the reviews of the listings and decide before taking the plunge.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:03   #21
BHPian

One of the fantastic manuals come diy jobs. Everything is very clear.

I am in a process of buying a polo tdi highline. I am currently having swift zdi. One of the sore thing in polo is that it doesn't have a usb port in console and I don't want to create a hole also.

There is a suggestion please see if it can be worked out. One can arrange armrest for polo and then we can make a hole in that and then a usb extension cable can be routed through the handbrake area to the armrest. So that we don't need to drill dashboard area.
Old 24th July 2015, 11:38   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilsoft View Post
There is a suggestion please see if it can be worked out. One can arrange armrest for polo and then we can make a hole in that and then a usb extension cable can be routed through the handbrake area to the armrest. So that we don't need to drill dashboard area.
Yes the USB cable from the HU rear can be routed to the armrest but you will need to extend the USB cable since the length of the cable falls short if you decide to route it all the way to the armrest through the central tunnel. Plus, the hole has to be drilled in the armrest to take the cable out.

I chose the dashboard area since that's more of a personal preference. Installed it as well. Shall post the pics later.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 05:40   #23
BHPian

Gannu_1, need your help as I have booked the polo highline flash red TDI. I want to upgrade the headset unit to a good touchscreen system with RVC. Please let me know which would be the best one out of RCD 510, Pioneer AVIC F60bt, Pioneer AVIC F970bt or Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835.
Does Pioneer Units need additional steering controls interface adapter?
Kindly guide on how to install these systems as to make sure it doesn't affect warranty.

Please provide a link from where a vcds cable can be purchase that is compatible with the current polo.

Another question is adding usb port/ aux or mdi interface inside glove box. While I was inspecting my new polo I opened the glove box and found two empty slots where ports can be installed similar to the picture attached.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-volkswagen_vento_glove_compartment_ports.jpg

Need your help so that I can have a port inside the glove box. Thus not needing to take the armrest route. I hope the port mentioned in the first picture could fit the left slot of the highlighted ports in second picture.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-screen-shot.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2015 at 08:54. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 27th July 2015, 09:27   #24
Team-BHP Support

BT update post

Update: 24/07/2015 - Bluetooth module installation:

Overview:

The RCD 510 unit does not have Bluetooth built into the unit (unlike the RCD 320) and a separate BT module is required to enable BT audio streaming or calling facility. There are several Bluetooth modules available in the market based on the functions supported, of which two of them are popular:
a. 9W2 module - 1K8 035 730 X:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-9w2.jpg
(Source: Google Images)

- Supports A2DP (music streaming through the cellphone).
- Supports accepting incoming calls by pressing the phone symbol on the MFSW.
- Supports dialing outgoing calls by dialing through the cellphone.
- Supports voice controls through the cellphone.
- Does not display the phone book or call list on the RCD 510’s display or the MFD on the instrument cluster (if it is the GTI’s cluster with the white MFD).
- The last letter X in the part number is an alphabet that denotes the firmware version. A later one implies it is a more recent firmware and has been manufactured recently.

For cars which are equipped with a Delphi RCD 510 unit and do not have the MFSW (multi-function steering wheel) or with the stock instrument cluster, this is the suggested BT module.

b. 9W7 module - 7P6 035 730 X:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0608.jpg

- Supports A2DP (music streaming through the cellphone).
- Supports accepting incoming calls by pressing the phone symbol on the MFSW.
- Supports dialing outgoing calls by dialing through the cellphone.
- Supports voice controls through the cellphone.
- Supports display of phone book or call list on the RCD 510’s display (if it is a Bosch unit) or the MFD on the instrument cluster (if it is the GTI’s cluster with the white MFD).
- The last letter X in the part number is an alphabet that denotes the firmware version.

For cars which are equipped with a Bosch/Delphi RCD 510 unit (supports display of phonebook entries on the touchscreen), the MFSW (including the pre-2014 facelift Polo/Vento) and/or the GTI’s cluster (similar combination = VW Jetta), this is the suggested BT module.

There is a superior BT module which supports WiFi hotspots along with 2G and 3G. Uses an external GSM antenna (which supposedly gives better reception compared to the phone’s inbuilt antenna!), the codename is 9WZ and the part number is 3C8 035 730 X. BHPian ajaypjayaraj has installed this module along with the Columbus system (RNS 510’s Skoda equivalent) on his modded Yeti.
BT Harness:

In addition to the BT module, a mic and the associated harness is required to pair the BT module and the mic to the RCD 510 HU.

There are 2 types of harness available in the market:
a. Type 1:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-bluetoothwiringharnesscableloom.jpg
(Source - Google Images)

This harness comes with bare wire ends for connections to the CANbus (+ and -), 12 v power and GND. The 12-pin green female connector is inserted into the empty slot in the Quadlock connector which is plugged to the RCD 510 HU. The 54-pin female connector connects to the BT module. You will have to tap the existing CANbus and power cables from the rear of the HU to connect the bare cables.

b. Type 2:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0625.jpg

This harness is completely plug-n-play and does not require fiddling with any of the cables. It has a male Quadlock connector to which the existing female Quadlock connector (plugged to the HU) is connected and a female Quadlock connector which connects to the HU. The rest are the same as that of Type 1. This one requires lesser efforts and time during installation and is a few dollars more expensive than the Type 1 loom. The only drawback is, the loom is a bit thick and will have to be tied up neatly to avoid a messy cable routing.

The mic unit connects to a 2-pin connector on a separate long harness that is routed through the A-pillar.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0618.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0620.jpg

This loom also offers 2 ways in which the mic can be connected:
a. For BT connection only.

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 10299
Size:  277.1 KB

b. For BT connection alone and voice recognition.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 10281
Size:  246.6 KB
Since time was a constraint, we chose to go with the BT connection only. We will be exploring the other option when we have some spare time at our disposal.
Installation of the module:
1. Remove the co-driver side A-pillar trim:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0644.jpg

Route the mic cable from the dash to the headliner (leave sufficient cable for routing it to the cabin light area) and use the cloth tape to tie the cabin light harness with the mic cable.

2. Unscrew the cabin light from its slot and insert the mic. The connector also has a slot in the cabin light - insert it firmly into place:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0635.jpg

Route the mic cable through the headliner and plug the respective connectors.

3. Remove the HU, undo the 4 Torx screws and disconnect the female quadlock connector.

Connect the female quadlock connector to the BT loom’s male quadlock connector and the female quadlock connector of the loom to the HU:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0638.jpg

4. Decide where the BT unit will be secured. There are several locations where the unit can be placed:
a. The flat bottom area of the glovebox recess.

b. The area below the driver/passenger’s seat (default location chosen by VW for installations on Golf). Requires an additional styrofoam unit.

c. The area behind the climatronic unit. Requires plenty of foam padding to cover the unit so it doesn't rattle.
I chose the area below the glove box recess since the access is easy and does not require many trims to be removed.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0647.jpg

Use the double-sided tape on the 4 corners of the unit to prevent it from unwanted rattles:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0649.jpg

Mark the holes below the glove box by placing the unit, drill/use a soldering iron to make the holes and bolt the unit in place:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0654.jpg

Route the BT harness suitably and connect the 54-pin connector to the BT unit. Notice the location of the white latch of the connector w.r.t. the stickers on the unit:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0637.jpg

Tie the remaining harness using some zip ties and secure it behind the dash:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0660.jpg

5. Once all the connections are in place, the BT unit will be recognised by the HU without any VCDS intervention. Notice the Bluetooth symbol along with the other sources:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0665.jpg

However, VCDS is required to add Telephone to the installation list so it shows up on the MFD.

Click on 19-CAN Gateway:
Name:  C1.png
Views: 9795
Size:  218.2 KB

Click on Installation List:

This will bring up the installation list as shown:
Name:  VCDS.png
Views: 10082
Size:  216.1 KB

Select 77- Telephone:

This will enable Phone to be displayed in the MFD:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0674.jpg

6. Results:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0667.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0669.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0675.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0676.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0677.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0678.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0679.jpg

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0681.jpg
Purchase Experience:

The 9W7 module and the harness was purchased from eBay Germany from a Poland based seller (ID: atom960) for a price of 200 Euros (via PayPal; Rs. 14386 charged to the credit card) including expedited shipping via Polish Post. The seller quickly dispatched the shipment a day after the payment was made and the tracking number was updated on eBay. I was able to track the consignment (just to ensure it doesn’t get held up at the customs) but received it only after 19 days. Reason? The box did not have the details of the contents inside (just the consignee address and the tracking number) and the post office had no clue what was inside. They decided to hold the consignment.

I had to call up the post office which dealt with the customs clearance who had requested me to send an email to them with the payment details, purchase details, identity proof etc. Sent them these documents quickly but due to Id and the weekend, they happened to clear it the next week and charged Rs. 1269 as customs duties. The postman delivered the package and to my shock, when I opened the box the unit and the harness were simply thrown inside without any bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts inside.

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-img_0604.jpg

Fortunately, there was no damage during transit and the unit worked fine! I sent a feedback mail to the seller insisting him to pack the contents adequately.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th July 2015 at 11:50.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:03   #25
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation

Quote:
Gannu_1, need your help as I have booked the polo highline flash red TDI. I want to upgrade the headset unit to a good touchscreen system with RVC. Please let me know which would be the best one out of RCD 510, Pioneer AVIC F60bt, Pioneer AVIC F970bt or Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835.
I haven't used or seen the Pioneer HUs so can’t comment on those. Between the RCD 510 and Blaupunkt unit, it would be the RCD for the OEM fitment, simplicity of the UI, ease of operation, quick booting and the recognition of the device by VCDS (helps enable/disable several options depending on the installation). I lost out on the navigation aspect but I prefer the Here maps on my Lumia 920 to the MMI navigation on the device.

Quote:
Does Pioneer Units need additional steering controls interface adapter?
No clue. Best to ask the owners who have this setup or on this thread.

Quote:
Kindly guide on how to install these systems as to make sure it doesn't affect warranty.
This thread shows the RCD installation which doesn’t affect the warranty as no stock cables or wires were spliced and taped. You wouldn’t risk losing the warranty for the HU installations as different adapters are available in the market which connects to the stock ISO connectors provided in the car.

Quote:
Another question is adding usb port/ aux or mdi interface inside glove box. While I was inspecting my new polo I opened the glove box and found two empty slots where ports can be installed similar to the picture attached.
Do a double check if your Polo’s glovebox indeed comes with this slot as I have seen it only on the Vento and not on the Polo. This slot is used to install the MDI interface. If your car has this slot, you can open the slot and fix the USB + Aux port you have shown in the picture.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice going! I guess the next step should be the MDI.
Old 27th July 2015, 14:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Nice going! I guess the next step should be the MDI.
Nope, not needed. The MDI unit is required for Bosch HUs (Bolero for the Skoda) to connect a smartphone or a USB drive with the HU. The Delphi systems come with a dedicated USB input using a cable at the rear.
Old 28th July 2015, 02:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope, not needed. The MDI unit is required for Bosch HUs (Bolero for the Skoda) to connect a smartphone or a USB drive with the HU. The Delphi systems come with a dedicated USB input using a cable at the rear.
No MDI kit needed for the Delphi unit? Not even to get Aux input?

I am getting the 9W2 module with the Delphi, but don't have VCDS access. I'll need to make some changes in VCDS to get all the functions working right?
Old 28th July 2015, 04:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
No MDI kit needed for the Delphi unit? Not even to get Aux input?
No and no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
I am getting the 9W2 module with the Delphi, but don't have VCDS access. I'll need to make some changes in VCDS to get all the functions working right?
No, the BT module is recognised by the HU without any VCDS inputs.
Old 28th July 2015, 04:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
No, the BT module is recognised by the HU without any VCDS inputs.
Why did you need VCDS coding then? Because the 9W7 needs it and not the 9W2?
Sorry I'm asking so many questions, just want to get my facts straight.

Most Viewed