Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2015, 04:42   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
Why did you need VCDS coding then? Because the 9W7 needs it and not the 9W2?
Sorry I'm asking so many questions, just want to get my facts straight.
You dont have to be but I would appreciate if you take time to go through what has been posted to avoid repetitive responses. I had already mentioned why VCDS is required in the previous post:

Quote:
However, VCDS is required to add Telephone to the installation list so it shows up on the MFD.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2015, 04:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
You dont have to be but I would appreciate if you take time to go through what has been posted to avoid repetitive responses. I had already mentioned why VCDS is required in the previous post:
Hey I did go through this and hence asked. I thought it's necessary for the 9W7 module only and not for the 9W2. Wanted to make sure if buying the VCDS software is really needed. I'm already stretching my budget a lot
I definitely want my phone to integrate with the HU. I use it for handsfree calling all the time.
Old 28th July 2015, 23:40   #33
BHPian

Re: BT update post

Quote:
However, VCDS is required to add Telephone to the installation list so it shows up on the MFD.
One last question, VCDS is required only for MFD integration right? Not for RCD 510? This will clear all my doubts
Old 29th July 2015, 16:02   #34
BHPian

Hey Gannu,

Would need your expertise with something. I ordered the RCD 510 and Bluetooth 9w2, but with the type 1 connector (with bare cables), not the plug n play . I was hoping your thread would provide the solution.

thanks

Last edited by lalittalwar : 29th July 2015 at 16:03. Reason: correction
Old 30th July 2015, 14:24   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Hey Gannu,

Would need your expertise with something. I ordered the RCD 510 and Bluetooth 9w2, but with the type 1 connector (with bare cables), not the plug n play . I was hoping your thread would provide the solution.

thanks
1. Insert the green female connector into the empty slot of the Quadlock connector like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-s7kftl.jpg

2. You will need to tap the +12V, GND, CAN + and CAN - cables from the Quadlock to the ISO connector using Scotchlok connectors OR solder them and use heatshrink tubing over them to insulate the joints properly.

This is the scheme:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-wp_20150702_11_21_00_pro.png

These are Scotchlok connectors:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-41wttnxcnml._sy300_.jpg

Don't tap into any of the stock cables.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2015, 15:07   #36
BHPian

HI Gannu, Apologies if I missed this.

I have a Bosch RCD 510 on my Passat. I was planning to get a Bluetooth kit. I understand that 9W7 is ideal for the Bosch unit; but will 9W2 be compatible. I want to choose it coz its cheaper and I only need it for basic calling and bluetooth streaming.
please advise.
Old 6th August 2015, 15:17   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
HI Gannu, Apologies if I missed this.

I have a Bosch RCD 510 on my Passat. I was planning to get a Bluetooth kit. I understand that 9W7 is ideal for the Bosch unit; but will 9W2 be compatible. I want to choose it coz its cheaper and I only need it for basic calling and bluetooth streaming.
please advise.
Yes, the HU will be compatible with both the systems but I suggest you spend a bit more and get the 9W7 unit (check for the eBay seller atom 960 from Poland; the pricing is very very good) since you have the Bosch HU which will display the contacts/phonebook/dialpad on the touchscreen and the cluster capable of displaying the additional information. A friend had used the 9W2 unit recently and complained due to the features missing from it.

While you're at it, best to get the plug-n-play harness.
Old 6th October 2015, 16:50   #38
BHPian

Hi Gannu

Excellent work on your car. I read most of the thread and you are an expert at VCDS and VW systems.

I was wondering if you could shed some light on a question I have regarding my Passat B7 2011 model (current Indian one).

I have the RCD 510 stereo and a 9w7 Bluetooth module. Now from what I've read online, this module supports phonebook listing, audio streaming and even A2DP, however, in my car the RCD 510 doesn't display track information and I can't change tracks from the stereo or from the buttons in the steering wheel. It does not support A2DP functionality.

Is it possible to fix this using VCDS? I used to have the cable in 2012 but most of the modules installed in my Passat B7 weren't support by the latest software from Ross-tech back then so I sold it.

Any info on this will be really helpful.

Thanks for your time in reading this.

Regards
Exhaustpipe
Old 29th October 2015, 14:14   #39
Team-BHP Support

Hi Gannu,

I have a few questions.

1. I am considering either the RCD510 or the Android HU (the one FrankMehta has installed) for my Polo GT TSi. In his ownership thread, FrankMehta has mentioned that OPS is not available in GT TSi anymore. Do you know if this is true? Is the reverse parking sensor setup that comes with the current GT TSi different from the one in your car? OPS integration is one of the main features I am looking for in RCD510.

2. If OPS is available, and if I also install a reverse camera, will the OPS be overlaid on the camera video, or only one of them will be active?

3. I am thinking to go with 9W2 bluetooth module. From your description, I understand 9W7 will be useful if we have either the Bosch RCD510, or the maxidot instrument cluster. With the Delphi RCD510 and regular instrument cluster, we will not be utilizing the advanced features of 9W7. Is my reasoning correct?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 29th October 2015, 15:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

Apologies exhaustpipe, I missed your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhaustpipe View Post
you are an expert at VCDS and VW systems.
I am not. I am just tinkering with whatever is available at my disposal and reporting the findings here.

Quote:
I was wondering if you could shed some light on a question I have regarding my Passat B7 2011 model (current Indian one).
I haven’t worked on anything other than the Polo but have read a bit about the Jetta online on several forums so have some idea. Not the Passat though but will try my best regardless.

Quote:
I have the RCD 510 stereo and a 9w7 Bluetooth module. Now from what I've read online, this module supports phonebook listing, audio streaming and even A2DP
That’s correct.

Quote:
however, in my car the RCD 510 doesn't display track information
Something’s definitely wrong there. You should be able to see the track display on the cluster’s MFD.

Quote:
and I can't change tracks from the stereo
You mean the touchscreen presses aren’t responding?

Quote:
or from the buttons in the steering wheel. It does not support A2DP functionality.
Was it this way from day one? Or did it happen recently since a service or a battery swap?

Quote:
Is it possible to fix this using VCDS? I used to have the cable in 2012 but most of the modules installed in my Passat B7 weren't support by the latest software from Ross-tech back then so I sold it.
Yes it is possible but since you mentioned you can’t change tracks from the stereo, I am wondering if the HU itself has gone bad (extremely remote chances that it would have).

The MFD will enable the track display only if you enable the option Radio from the CAN Gateway module:

Name:  CAN Gateway 2.png
Views: 5126
Size:  62.6 KB

Similarly the MFSW buttons will work only if the corresponding bit is enabled under the relevant byte under Central Electronics:

Name:  B9.png
Views: 5686
Size:  52.5 KB

And A2DP can be enabled from the 77-Telephone, Long Coding from here:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-9w7-a2dp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
1. I am considering either the RCD510 or the Android HU (the one FrankMehta has installed) for my Polo GT TSi. In his ownership thread, FrankMehta has mentioned that OPS is not available in GT TSi anymore. Do you know if this is true?
That’s correct.

Quote:
Is the reverse parking sensor setup that comes with the current GT TSi different from the one in your car? OPS integration is one of the main features I am looking for in RCD510.
The previous generation GT and Highline models (both Polo/Vento) came with a superior OPS module which was accessible by VCDS. Check my post here. The current generations now come with a module that only buzzes based on the proximity sensors, no display.

You will have to change the current module with this one (available on Ali) if you need the OPS display on the HU.

Quote:
2. If OPS is available, and if I also install a reverse camera, will the OPS be overlaid on the camera video, or only one of them will be active?
On the RCD510, you have the option of getting only one of the two like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-1.jpg

The overlay is possible only on the RNS 510 like this:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-reversingcamera2optionalrns510navigationsystem.jpg

Quote:
3. I am thinking to go with 9W2 bluetooth module. From your description, I understand 9W7 will be useful if we have either the Bosch RCD510, or the maxidot instrument cluster. With the Delphi RCD510 and regular instrument cluster, we will not be utilizing the advanced features of 9W7. Is my reasoning correct?
Yes, you can only pick up/disconnect calls by pressing the phone button on your MFSW. Dialing has to be done via the phone. You can stream BT music as well.

Quoting psispace’s post here since it is relevant to the current discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
The rear bumper sensors on my car were untouched when I added the front sensors. I have OPS display on the Blaupunkt 835 (photos in my ownership thread, so not repeating here).

Suffice to say they are indeed capable of it.
Your car has an OPS module which supports both the front and rear sensors whereas the stock Polo comes with an OPS module that supports only the rear sensors. The current models roll out with a module that does not support OPS display (only beeps). Vagtune has replaced the stock OPS module on your car with a Parkhilfe 8K module supporting front and rear sensors and that's why you are getting this display on your HU.

This is that module:

VW Polo DIY: Delphi RCD 510 headunit + 9W7 Bluetooth unit installation-20978893.jpg

Quote:
Front sensors and cabling cost around 14k.
Plus the new OPS module. Please check up with Vagtune and correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th October 2015 at 15:15.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:32   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The previous generation GT and Highline models (both Polo/Vento) came with a superior OPS module which was accessible by VCDS. Check my post here. The current generations now come with a module that only buzzes based on the proximity sensors, no display.

You will have to change the current module with this one (available on Ali) if you need the OPS display on the HU.
Thanks Gannu. I will check with VCDS if Park Assist control is available.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 22:34   #42
BHPian

Quote:
The rear bumper sensors on my car were untouched when I added the front sensors. I have OPS display on the Blaupunkt 835 (photos in my ownership thread, so not repeating here).

Suffice to say they are indeed capable of it.
This however required additional adapter cabling which is not too expensive (around 4k).

Mine was not a DYI. I had it fitted at VagTunes. Front sensors and cabling cost around 14k.
Quote:
Plus the new OPS module. Please check up with Vagtune and correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct Gannu_1. Learning something everyday.
Just checked old bills after reading your post.The additional 'cabling' that I mentioned included the OPS module. It was billed separately at 5k. The front parking sensor kit is billed slightly below 14k. So I guess a budget of 20k is in order excluding labour (if not DYI).
psispace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2015, 14:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Gannu - in your Delphi + 9w7 combo - do you get the name of the person who is calling you on the HU or MFD ? Or only the phone number ?
Old 7th November 2015, 15:30   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Gannu - in your Delphi + 9w7 combo - do you get the name of the person who is calling you on the HU or MFD ? Or only the phone number ?
I've replied to your PM.

The MFD displays the contact name provided it is saved in your cellphone contacts list. Else the number.

The HU displays a tiny phone symbol when you are using the phone. No displays of contacts or number - only the MFD. But the good thing is you need not take your eyes off the cluster towards the HU or the hands of the steering.
Old 7th November 2015, 17:57   #45
BHPian

I am considering this to replace the RCD320(?) that came with my Polo 1.2 GT TSI and/or my Vento TDI HL (the latter car may not be updated as I am planning to upgrade from the Vento)

Main things I need are BT functionality, and rear sensor display, along with the reverse gear mute function.

I visited Aliexpress to search for the RCD510 and ended up mightily confused.

Gannu_1 : How does one differentiate between the Bosch and Delphi units?

Most Viewed