Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2006, 09:19   #1
BHPian

Guys,

Need some advice on ICE for my Zen. Guided by some friends, a bit of reading on Team-BHP and our Sam have decided on the following system. Specs and prices as follows. My budget was not more than 15K

Sony GT350S HU - Rs 8540
JBL Components GTO507 - Rs 4950
JBL 6"x9" GTO937 - Rs 4460
Rear Plank - Rs 750
Total - Rs 18700

Above price is for Sony India product with Sony 1 year warranty. For Rs 1300 less I get the same Grey product with 2 year dealer warranty.. So confused.....

Is there a very big difference in JBL GTO937 and CS3196 considering I dont listen to too much of boom boom type of music but classical and soft music where clarity is important with some bass ? The difference between the two is about Rs 1200.

Also one more question. Can the 5.25" (which comes as a part of components) be fitted in the new Zen LXi without cutting any body metal. The ICE fitter was not very sure about that. I dont want to decide on the system and be disappointed in the end...

The only place where I can cut the budget seems to be in fittong a 4" 2 way speaker in the front instead of components, straight saving of Rs 2750.....

So Experts, Help

Planning for an install on day after tomorrow.

Thanks
Bullfrog
Old 1st September 2006, 11:37   #2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Guys,

Need some advice on ICE for my Zen. Guided by some friends, a bit of reading on Team-BHP and our Sam have decided on the following system. Specs and prices as follows. My budget was not more than 15K
Budget??? Yes! It's always supposed to be overshot! LOL

Quote:
Sony GT350S HU - Rs 8540
Rear Plank - Rs 750
Total - Rs 18700

Above price is for Sony India product with Sony 1 year warranty. For Rs 1300 less I get the same Grey product with 2 year dealer warranty.. So confused.....
Go for Authorised with Bill & Warranty.

Quote:
Is there a very big difference in JBL GTO937 and CS3196 considering I dont listen to too much of boom boom type of music but classical and soft music where clarity is important with some bass ? The difference between the two is about Rs 1200.
I'd rather stick with 6.5" Co-axials for the rear than go for ovals. Ovals will seal off any further upgrades like Sub, amp etc.. So, if you dont have ay upgrade plans for future, then go for ovals and fit them in planks as mentioned. And GTO series will be better.
Quote:
Also one more question. Can the 5.25" (which comes as a part of components) be fitted in the new Zen LXi without cutting any body metal. The ICE fitter was not very sure about that. I dont want to decide on the system and be disappointed in the end...
I think it can be done using spacers. Not much alterations\cutting needed.
Quote:
The only place where I can cut the budget seems to be in fittong a 4" 2 way speaker in the front instead of components, straight saving of Rs 2750.....
Please dont do this! Components can make a sea of difference to your music and imaging, resolution etc.. Go for components at any cost.
Quote:
So Experts, Help
I'm no expert! They'll be pouring in soon. And will be glad to confuse you too!
Quote:
Planning for an install on day after tomorrow.
Good Luck! And enjoy the drive!
Old 1st September 2006, 11:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My budget was not more than 15K
Sony GT350S HU - Rs 8540
Rear Plank - Rs 750
Total - Rs 18700

Is there a very big difference in JBL GTO937 and CS3196

Also one more question. Can the 5.25" (which comes as a part of components) be fitted in the new Zen LXi without cutting any body metal.
1. A Sony warranty is worth more than a dealer warranty unless you have a good (tired and tested) relationship with your dealer.

2.If you dont need your rear speakers too much you can save rs. 1200 and get the 3196.

3. If the Zen has a 5" cutouts in the door (my 1995 Zen could accomodate quite deep Vifa 5" woofers) the 507's woofer will fit right in. However you will have to find a suitable location for the tweeter. There are no tweeter pods provided in the zen so the location will not be a stock location (like in an Opel or Skoda). The neatness of the tweeter install will depends a lot on your dealer skill so discuss this with him in great detail before doing any cutting.

Lastly I'd ask around for the prices on the Sony HU (with a Manufacturer's warranty). The JBL prices are ok. So if you can save 1200 by using the CS series 6x9 and another 500 or so on the Sony you should get to a budget of 17-17.5K still outside your 15K limit.
Old 5th September 2006, 16:24   #4
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the replies. Have decided to go for components. Any ideas for the tweeter installation ? Somehow I dont like the 'hanging from A pillar' or 'gluing on dash' kind of installations.

As usual, looking for inputs

thanks
Bullfrog
Old 7th September 2006, 17:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest gt450s, a better model which costs just a little over the 350s. it has a sub out as well as good looks. check that out before you buy
Old 8th September 2006, 10:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any ideas for the tweeter installation ? Somehow I dont like the 'hanging from A pillar' or 'gluing on dash' kind of installations.
The other options are even more diffuclt.

the easiest is to flush intall the tweeter in the A pillar. the other options is to build a fiberglass mould for the tweeter to be used in the door. there was a set of photos posted some time back detailing how to do this.
Old 8th September 2006, 10:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
the easiest is to flush intall the tweeter in the A pillar
@ Navin

Thsi was an option I wanted to explore, but had my own doubts looking at the size of tweeters compared to size of A pillar on a Zen. Is it feasible ? Has someone done it on a small car ? Read elsewhere in the ICE section that tweeters pointed in the direction of the opposite side belt harness creates better sound imaging...

Also the install on a separate fibreglass panel, this was done on a bigger car I think, on the panel of the door on the inside of the the location of rear view mirror. This also seems to be an extremely small in Zen to take the tweeter.

regards
Bullfrog
Old 8th September 2006, 19:00   #8
BANNED

Quote:
@ Navin

Thsi was an option I wanted to explore, but had my own doubts looking at the size of tweeters compared to size of A pillar on a Zen. Is it feasible ? Has someone done it on a small car ?
regards
Bullfrog
I've done it in Alto. So, it's possible on Zen too.

You can check the pics of my install in my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...highlight=Alto
and http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...highlight=Alto

And enjoy!
Old 9th September 2006, 12:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Bullfrog
Thsi was an option I wanted to explore, but had my own doubts looking at the size of tweeters compared to size of A pillar on a Zen.

Also the install on a separate fibreglass panel, this was done on a bigger car I think, on the panel of the door on the inside of the the location of rear view mirror. This also seems to be an extremely small in Zen to take the tweeter.
[/QUOTE]

I have seen the A pillar bing used on a Swift anc Getz. Dont know if the Zen's pillars are wide enough. Once could measure the diameter of the tweeter and see.

yes firing the tweeter to the "far" listener does help imaigng but if you dont want to stick the tweeter to the dash or go in for some custom fiber moulds then you would have to stick to the A Pillar compromise (it is not that bad).
Old 11th September 2006, 18:12   #10
BHPian

Guys,

For a component install is an amplifier a MUST ?
Happen to read it on one of the threads on team-bhp somewhere...

I am trying to mate JBL Components GTO507 with Sony GT350S HU which has a output rating of 52 X 4 channel.

Pardon me if these are inane questions, as I am quite a newbie to ICE.

regards
Bullfrog
Old 11th September 2006, 19:35   #11
BANNED

for components, Amp is not a must! it can be powered by the HU.
It'll sound very good when mated to a good amp. That's all.
Old 11th September 2006, 19:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
for components, Amp is not a must! it can be powered by the HU.
It'll sound very good when mated to a good amp. That's all.
I would say the amp is a must if one is spending so much on the componets one must get a amp to get the best out of the componet...but if budget issue is there then the hu and the componets is fine.....

and the 52 x 4 is not the really wattage it is max the hu can give in peaks the acutall it would be near 15 watts....thats why I would recommend the amp to get the best out of the components....

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 11th September 2006 at 19:44.
Old 12th September 2006, 00:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

yes, i would certainly recommend an amp, even without the comps, you will see a great difference in the SQ even from your rear speakers, since you listen to classical & stuff. add the compnents later, go for the amp now....now, have i confused you???? lol , i didn't mean to
Old 12th September 2006, 00:51   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
yes, i would certainly recommend an amp, even without the comps, you will see a great difference in the SQ even from your rear speakers, since you listen to classical & stuff. add the compnents later, go for the amp now....now, have i confused you???? lol , i didn't mean to
Would'nt the other way around be any good? First Components. Then amps???
Old 25th September 2006, 09:51   #15
BHPian

Got a music system fitted at Sound Factor, Bangalore. So finally it was Sony GT350 HU, 5.25" components in the front and 6"x9" co-axials at rear.

But somehow I was not very impressed by the quality of work being done by the installers there. I knew that there is no space for 5.25" speaker in the front door on a Zen and was lead to beleive it is very simple with a spacer put in place. After putting the spacer on, the installer realised that the cutout in the sheet of the door provided would not accomodate the magnet of the speaker. So he banged that portion with a hammer to deform and accomdate the same

Also the thickness of spacer is something that needs to be calculated to a very fine extent and done fo rthe Zen atleast. More thickness, you cant place the Plastic interior panel, less thickness, the speaker magnet would go and touch the window pane inside. Also in Zen you dont get adequate mating surface for the spacer. You have to be careful in drilling the hole through. This guy would start using the powered drill and once it hits the door metal surface not perpendicular to axis of screw would bend the screw. It happed 4 times like this. Now that spacer has holes at various places, but is secured for sure. I found it amazing how these installation guys just done listen to you at all. All think they are studs and dont need any lecture from customers

All in all not very happy with quality installation, but very very happy with the sound clarity of music I am getting.

So thanks to all you guys especially Sam, Navin, Speedzak for guiding me to a music system (sans Amps) with good clarity.

Finally I think an observation made by one of my friends seems to be true that Sound factor seems to be one of the better places to get some non standard equipment installed where as it would have been a TOTAL hack job at any other place like JC Road.......

regards
Bullfrog

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks