Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2015, 13:37   #16
BHPian

Congrats. Your pics show it as a nicely fit setup. Tough to differentiate from a factory fit. Keep us posted with its performance. My earlier car had Sony front speakers and Hertz rear speakers, was thoroughly impressed with the sound. You may consider it as your next upgrade probably.

Could you give the specifications of the new AVN and cost details?
Old 11th October 2015, 16:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Honda Jazz

Thanks people.
Yes, I am very satisfied with the fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzvicky201 View Post
Congrats. Your pics show it as a nicely fit setup. Tough to differentiate from a factory fit. Keep us posted with its performance. My earlier car had Sony front speakers and Hertz rear speakers, was thoroughly impressed with the sound. You may consider it as your next upgrade probably.

Could you give the specifications of the new AVN and cost details?
The system is this one -
http://www.blaupunkt.com/en/nc/produ...s/single/7581/

Online it's available at 21-26K depending on where you buy it from. But, there are issues with the warranty and stuff. So, I went ahead with my trusted accessories shop. Unit cost 25K.

Here is the breakup -
Unit cost = 25K
Steering adapter = 1.8K
Auotcop nightvision rear camera = 1.8K (cheaper ones available at 1K)
Panel = 2.5K.

Overall, came to 31K with installation (free).

The new head unit has more output power and it is exposing the limitations of cheap stock speakers. I feel I need to go for a decent set of speakers sooner than I wanted.Also, I might need some damping for the doors.

I want to keep it simple. So, thinking about coaxial speakers only. Brands like JBL,Polk,Infinity,Hertz etc should be good.
Any particular suggestions with model details for some good VFM speakers are welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Congrats! How well do the maps work? Are the lines on the reverse camera adaptive? How good are the audio settings and most importantly, how good is the touchscreen quality and visibility in sunlight?
Did you go to Deep in the end?
The maps and navigation is the best part of the unit. There are lots of POIs. I could find my home address as well. GPS locks in 10-15 secs. Alternate route calculations are very fast. The navigation interface itself is very nice indeed.
There are quite a few audio settings which I have not explored. There is a 10 band graphic equalizer.
The reverse camera display is not adaptive but the display itself is nice and clear.
Touchscreen is responsive. No issues. The UI is basic but lag free and bug free. There is some limitations on the files supported for video playback.
I spoke to Deep and thanks a lot for your assistance.He seems to be a genuine guy and knowledgeable as well.
The shop where I bought from was providing free installation whereas he asked 2K for installation. So, that's the reason I went with the accessory shop itself.

Bluetooth - Sound quality through bluetooth is very good. It syncs the contacts and call logs from your phone. But the phonebook search is not there. In that case, best to use you phone to dial and then use the system for handsfree communication.
Also, I am able to start playing music from my phone without touching the phone. That's awesome!
Yet to check call quality over bluetooth. There are 2 mics - one on the unit and the other above the driver's head.

Steering controls are totally configurable. The system just understands the number of keys and you can assign any key to any function. For example, there is a 'Mode' switch in the steering. I assigned it to the home button in the system as it is the easiest and fastest way for me to go from one source to another. Similarly, it can be configured to mute the system or anything you wish.

Last edited by adimicra : 11th October 2015 at 16:20.
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 16:18   #18
BHPian

Thanks adimicra. Your YouTube link does not seem correct. Can you check?
Old 11th October 2015, 16:26   #19
BHPian

Looks like your new AVN can be a replacement to the new Jazz's AVN which per reviews is buggy.
Old 11th October 2015, 22:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, apart from the higher end cars, an aftermarket system from a reputed manufacturer will always outperform a OEM one by a fair margin.

I am not sure if the panels for new Jazz are available in the aftermarket but I am sure it won't be long before those will be available if not already
Old 16th October 2015, 14:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

While I am happy with the new Audio system, The sound is somewhat bright or metallic than what I like even after trying various EQ settings.
Do you think changing the stock speakers to something better will help?
If so, can you suggest which brand to go for? Thinking of JBL as they are VFM and the sound is not bright and has a good tempo.
Old 16th October 2015, 15:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
While I am happy with the new Audio system, The sound is somewhat bright or metallic than what I like even after trying various EQ settings.
Do you think changing the stock speakers to something better will help?
If so, can you suggest which brand to go for? Thinking of JBL as they are VFM and the sound is not bright and has a good tempo.
You can try infinity/focal , slightly better than JBL . And for front you can opt for components and for rear coaxials . And if you want to extract the best out of the upgraded speakers you can opt to use a 4 channel amplifier .
There are so many options when it comes to ICE , so better to have a budget in mind and upgrade accordingly .
Old 17th October 2015, 11:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
You can try infinity/focal , slightly better than JBL . And for front you can opt for components and for rear coaxials . And if you want to extract the best out of the upgraded speakers you can opt to use a 4 channel amplifier .
There are so many options when it comes to ICE , so better to have a budget in mind and upgrade accordingly .
Thanks for your reply. More than the quality of the sound, my botheration is the sound signature. I don't like it. Its too bright.
Will changing to better speakers help that? And what's the recommendation. Infinity I have heard sounds pretty bright. So I am very skeptical of putting them. I have had good experience with JBL in the past.
Frankly, I don't have any budget left. Also, as I understand, to fully exploit the component speakers, we should get and Amp. So, I am ruling out those. SO, my question is limited to simple coaxial speakers. So, please suggest accordingly.
Old 17th October 2015, 12:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. More than the quality of the sound, my botheration is the sound signature. I don't like it. Its too bright.
Will changing to better speakers help that? And what's the recommendation. Infinity I have heard sounds pretty bright. So I am very skeptical of putting them. I have had good experience with JBL in the past.
Frankly, I don't have any budget left. Also, as I understand, to fully exploit the component speakers, we should get and Amp. So, I am ruling out those. SO, my question is limited to simple coaxial speakers. So, please suggest accordingly.
I have infinity kappa components and I don't think they are bright , all depends on how to tune them . Coaxials I am using Polk which is again supposed to be bright . I would suggest get a pair of infinty reference component helix blue and a 4 channel amplifier initially use them with rear oem speakers . Then if you feel the need , replace the rear speakers with something better later .

If you plan to replace all the speakers at one go , you can try the infinty reference series , cerwin vega or the below one .

But my suggestion would be to upgrade in steps starting with front components and amplifier .

http://www.purplekart.in/Products/ca...d-6025098.aspx
Old 17th October 2015, 19:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

^^Thanks Soumen.
Looks like the general consensus is get an AMP and pair of components for the front. Rear ones are not so important and anyways, the rear seat in my car is not frequently occupied.

Today, I was playing with the volume and equalizer settings. What I observed is that the sound is pretty lacklustre at lower volumes - no punch in the bass, tinny hollow sound. But thngs improve a lot when I turn up the volume. At 70% of the max volume, the sound is pretty nice and full. SO, does that mean the OEM head unit had a better power output and was able to drive the OE papercone speakers better? So, I guess I should get the Amp first. The old Jazz had a pretty good head unit and many owner including myself had commented that they were pretty happy with the stock sound system.

Please suggest some Amp and a pair of components.
What is the budget I should be having for a decent set?
Probably, I will have to wait for the next set of modifications as I have run out of budget.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 01:44   #26
BHPian

Quote:
^^Thanks Soumen.
Looks like the general consensus is get an AMP and pair of components for the front. Rear ones are not so important and anyways, the rear seat in my car is not frequently occupied.

Today, I was playing with the volume and equalizer settings. What I observed is that the sound is pretty lacklustre at lower volumes - no punch in the bass, tinny hollow sound. But thngs improve a lot when I turn up the volume. At 70% of the max volume, the sound is pretty nice and full. SO, does that mean the OEM head unit had a better power output and was able to drive the OE papercone speakers better? So, I guess I should get the Amp first. The old Jazz had a pretty good head unit and many owner including myself had commented that they were pretty happy with the stock sound system.

Please suggest some Amp and a pair of components.
What is the budget I should be having for a decent set?
Probably, I will have to wait for the next set of modifications as I have run out of budget.
My suggestion would be to always upgrade step by step . It would be better to list down options if you give a budget and I think a decent setup of a front component and a 4 channel amp should cost you between 12k-20k depending on the brands . Visit few local dealers and try to get few configurations from them and try to stick to your budget when you ask them for options .

Generally for a budgeted setup JBL amplifier (6k- 10k )should be your first choice and you can look at infinty reference (4.8k Paytm ) or focal components (7-8k) . Have a budget of 1k-2k for wiring .

This should give you a decent setup and you can always add a pair of rear speakers , mono amp and subwoofer later depending on your requirement . I also have very less knowledge when it comes to various brands so I try to see what best I can get in my budget and check the reviews of the same and so far it has worked for me . And more than the equipment try to find an installer who is good . Hope his helps .
Old 19th October 2015, 11:02   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The San Diego 530 has in built navigation..
Quote:
While I am happy with the new Audio system, The sound is somewhat bright or metallic than what I like even after trying various EQ settings..
Quote:
Today, I was playing with the volume and equalizer settings. What I observed is that the sound is pretty lacklustre at lower volumes - no punch in the bass, tinny hollow sound. But thngs improve a lot when I turn up the volume. At 70% of the max volume, the sound is pretty nice and full. SO, does that mean the OEM head unit had a better power output and was able to drive the OE papercone speakers better?
Ok here goes. Many OEM speakers have anemic sound. This is compensated for I the OEM HU's amplifier section by a mid-bass boost often as much as 15-20db (a sort of extreme EQ). This limits the loudness but improves the tonal balance of the output.

When you switched to a non OEM HU this mid-bass bump was gone and made your OEM speakers sound "tinny".

Now to compensate for this you can need to switch to speakers that have better midbass output. I would hence first try speakers that you like and only if you need more volume add an amplifier.

An amplifier does 2 things to the sound.
a. It enables the speaker to play louder
b. it tightens up the bass (more control and definition) as it is able to supply more power with less effort.
navin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 12:51   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ok here goes. Many OEM speakers have anemic sound. This is compensated for I the OEM HU's amplifier section by a mid-bass boost often as much as 15-20db (a sort of extreme EQ). This limits the loudness but improves the tonal balance of the output.

When you switched to a non OEM HU this mid-bass bump was gone and made your OEM speakers sound "tinny".

Now to compensate for this you can need to switch to speakers that have better midbass output. I would hence first try speakers that you like and only if you need more volume add an amplifier.

An amplifier does 2 things to the sound.
a. It enables the speaker to play louder
b. it tightens up the bass (more control and definition) as it is able to supply more power with less effort.

Navin,
You are a genius.
Yesterday, after playing with the equalizers for a long long time, I could understand this. I would have saved lots of time if I had waited for your reply but could not

This is how my graphic equalizer looks like now and the sound/tonal quality is pretty good and to my liking (never used any graphic equalizer setting like this in my life ). I am feeling relieved for sure and I am not going crazy about the poor sound quality..what it means is that I can wait for the next set of upgrades and no need to rush...Thanks for all your support. You guys rock!

ICE upgrade : Honda Jazz-img_20151018_122541.jpg

PS - Between Infinity refernce, JBL and Polk which speakers do you suggest?
I am thinking to change the front speakers as of now. Later if I plan to get components and amp, I would put these speakers in the rear.
Is there any change in wiring needed?

Last edited by adimicra : 19th October 2015 at 13:14.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 17:21   #29
SRM
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Honda Jazz

Quote:
Bluetooth - Sound quality through bluetooth is very good. It syncs the contacts and call logs from your phone. But the phonebook search is not there. In that case, best to use you phone to dial and then use the system for handsfree communication.
Also, I am able to start playing music from my phone without touching the phone. That's awesome!
Yet to check call quality over bluetooth. There are 2 mics - one on the unit and the other above the driver's head.
Hi. Even I am considering sandiego 530 for my SX4. 2 things I will use the most is Bluetooth (music+calling) and Navigation. Glad to hear from you that both are good quality in this system. Just a couple of questions though:

1. When you play music via Bluetooth, does the system display the song name and song details on the screen?
2. The inbuilt navigation maps are from mapmyindia or someone else?

Cheers!
Saurabh
Old 1st June 2016, 11:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Honda Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM View Post
Hi. Even I am considering sandiego 530 for my SX4. 2 things I will use the most is Bluetooth (music+calling) and Navigation. Glad to hear from you that both are good quality in this system. Just a couple of questions though:

1. When you play music via Bluetooth, does the system display the song name and song details on the screen?
2. The inbuilt navigation maps are from mapmyindia or someone else?

Cheers!
Saurabh
Sorry for the very late reply.
1> No, it does not. But you can start to play the music from the HU without touching your phone and the steering controls work fine as well
2> It's from mapmyindia. You get a microsd card for that. The maps are good and detailed and the interface is very nice.

Another point to note is that the sunlight visibility is absolutely superb. No issues. The system is still working flawlessly. Highly recommended.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed