Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?
On the head-unit 15 9.09%
Center console base with 12v socket 109 66.06%
Under the driver's armrest 14 8.48%
In the glovebox 25 15.15%
Other location (please specify) 2 1.21%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2015, 10:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?

While the basic interior layout is common across all brands, along with the location of crucial controls, manufacturers can't seem to reach a consensus on where to place the AUX & USB ports - two of the most basic connectivity options today. Given the amount of research that goes into designing a car's ergonomics, it's a wonder how there's no consistency on this. Have they become an afterthought in the age of wireless connectivity?

Let's take a direct look at the people's preference and the reasons why, with this public poll. Where would you like your USB & AUX ports to be placed?

On the head-unit (Skoda Rapid):

Center console base with 12v socket (Hyundai Grand i10):

Under the driver's armrest (Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class):

In the glovebox (Honda Jazz):

Any other? Please specify.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2015 at 19:13.
Tushar is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 19:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

Though I'm a Bluetooth guy, if I were to use the USB / AUX ports, my favourite location is at the base of the center console (ahead of the gear lever).

Here, I can easily reach the phone when I want to (not possible if it's in the glovebox or under the driver's armrest). Plus, there are no wires dangling about as there would be with ports on the head-unit.

Lastly, most manufacturers provide a 12v socket here. And God knows, the powerful smartphones of today sure drink the battery juice!

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2015 at 19:19.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 19:32   #3
Team-BHP Support

Center console base for me too - if you're plugging your phone in.

However, if you just dump music on a large USB thumb-drive and leave it plugged in, the driver's armrest OR glove box (ala Vento) are nice options since they keep the USB stick out of sight and out of the way.

From the two, I'd prefer the more accessible center-armrest location, however, it depends on the design within the compartment. Plugging in a USB stick in the GLA's slot (as shown above) just reduces the storage space and makes it more likely that you'll break the USB stick or socket when putting other stuff in the compartment.

Other cars like the S-Cross have the USB stick in the same storage compartment, but positioned out of harm's way:
So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?-marutiscross31.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th October 2015 at 19:36.
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 19:40   #4
BHPian

I really liked the idea of the "phone dock" that Ford Aspire has. It keeps the phone visible, USB hidden, and avoids dangling wires. Perfect solution!

Pic source - Team BHP Official Review.
Attached Thumbnails
So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?-aspiredock.jpg  

shifu is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 13th October 2015, 19:47   #5
BHPian

Our Ford Classic has the USB port in the glovebox and the AUX port in the head unit. The positioning of the USB port is superb and it is very convenient. Just plug it, close the glovebox and start playing. I quite like it this way. So voted for the same. Can't say the same about the AUX port though. It's placed a bit too high and there's not much space to keep a smartphone. Maybe because when the car was designed, there were no spartphones around :stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I really liked the idea of the "phone dock" that Ford Aspire has. It keeps the phone visible, USB hidden, and avoids dangling wires. Perfect solution!

Pic source - Team BHP Official Review.
This one is a good solution. Good thinking done by Ford and I personally prefer it to the Titanium(O)'s screen that is placed here.

However, in the age of Bluetooth audio, youngsters like us seldom use the USB or especially the AUX port.

Nice thread :thumbsup

Cheers,
Neel
Old 13th October 2015, 19:59   #6
BHPian

If you are using the mobile, then, its center console base for the reasons in the previous post - easy accessibility, even easier to charge

However, I use only bluetooth for music from mobile

I mostly play music from USB and ipod. Since these can be almost entirely be controlled from the HU, I prefer them hidden. The ipod can get powered via usb

For these I prefer;
1. Under driver armrest
2. In the glovebox
3. Center console base

I have never used Aux. Its a very inconvenient way to play music when on the move.

P.S. Tushar, sorry if I voted wrong.
Old 14th October 2015, 10:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Personally prefer the centre console base. The spot is accessible for both front passengers, wires placed here don't foul with gear changes and if the manufacturer get its basics right, the spot has enough space to store the device attached.

However, if I have the option of Bluetooth audio streaming (which my previous gen Jazz doesn't) I will always choose that. You can even use the steering mounted controls to shuffle through your playlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psispace View Post
P.S. Tushar, sorry if I voted wrong.
It's a public poll for taking a look at personal preferences. There can be no wrong vote
Tushar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 10:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread Tushar!!

My preference would be the center console with a lid to close and hide the USB, Aux cable, Phone & 12V socket. I personally like the layout in my XUV5OO.

So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?-wp_20150620_11_18_30_pro.jpg
fusionbang is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 13:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

I have Punto and am not very happy with the glove-box location. I would prefer it to be approachable and the central console base looks to be ideal for it.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 14:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I like it in the driver arm rest - most modern phones can also draw power from the USB.
Aux feed is mostly the music players. So 3.5mm audio jack can be plugged in and kept securely in the armrest storage thingie.

No dangling wires, away from the direct eye sight and anyway not to be reached out while driving. Any phone out function is mostly enabled from the headunit itself so literally no need to touch the phone.

Keeping wires or things next to the gear lever or at the base of console unless in a secure storage cubby hole is a risky affair. It can fall down in driver footwell or bother the regular driving operations.

Hence my view.

Last edited by abirnale : 14th October 2015 at 14:16.
abirnale is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 14:41   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I like the idea, but my only concern is highlighted in bold. Would be wary of theft. Phones placed on the dashboard are flicked everyday in Mumbai. Yes, I know you can keep your doors locked, but in certain situations when I unlock them, I don't want to be worrying about security.

If it's down at the base of the center console, it's more out of view.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 16:30   #12
BHPian

I guess the insights from this poll would have been better if we had an option to vote for the location of the USB port and the AUX in separately.

I prefer USB location in an enclosed area (like the glove box in my Jazz). I can just plug the USB in and leave it there for a long time. That way it would also remain protected from direct sunlight. For AUX in the preferred location is the head unit or center console base. As rightly mentioned above the 12V socket is close by and the phone can also be kept for charging. I guess nobody leaves the phone behind and so the question of it getting baked in the sunlight simple doesn't arise due to this location.

I voted for the glove box since I either play the music through a USB or pop in a CD.

Last edited by Flanker99 : 14th October 2015 at 16:31.
Flanker99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 17:23   #13
BHPian

I normally use bluetooth to connect my phone.

In USB port I normally connect a pendrive which I like to keep out of sight in the glovebox. It can anyways be controlled from steering wheel. Don't want to take any risk of hitting it.
Peterf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 18:11   #14
BANNED

Armrest it is. I don't care about the charging. That's what the USB port is there for.
And if it can't charge my device, I'd rather not have that USB port in my car.
Old 14th October 2015, 18:42   #15
BHPian

I would prefer the USB & AUX to be in the glove box as it would not obstruct my hand movement while on the driver's seat. Anyways, once you insert your pen drive or ipod to the system, you barely have a need to unplug it !! I prefer an unobstructed front console.

Well that's the way it is in my Figo and I quite like it that ways. Sharing some snaps :

A clear dash :
So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?-dsc08203.jpg

USB in the glove box :
So, where do you like your USB & AUX ports?-dsc08209.jpg

But unfortunately the AUX exists in the front console of the dash; not that I use it at all thanks to the Bluetooth Connect !!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks