Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2015, 00:22   #1
BHPian

ICE upgrade : Hyundai Creta

I didn't find any threads on a Creta ICE upgrade, so here it goes.

So we're going to be getting delivery of our Creta SX+ AT on Thursday (Hopefully) and I'd tried the speakers on the test drive car and they were, pathetic.

We don't want to spend too much on the upgrade, so I've been looking for some 6" Coax's for the front and 6" 3-way for the back door.

I've seen some JBL's and some Focals on the market, but to be honest, I haven't been in touch with the market for about 5 years now (last I got a new Cruze in 2011).

So yeah, I wanted some advice on what speakers to go for, with the fact that I won't be adding an amp in mind.

Budget is around 10k (including wiring and installation, so I guess that leaves about 8k for the speakers?

Primarily, my parents will be using this car, so vocals are a bit more important than car shattering bass.

Last edited by Ad1tya : 27th October 2015 at 00:25.
Old 27th October 2015, 09:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: ICE upgrade : Hyundai Creta

They sounded ok for OEM.
Why do you want to replace components with co-ax?
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 09:32   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
I didn't find any threads on a Creta ICE upgrade, so here it goes.
Components for front and coaxials for rear would be better . You can consider focal / infinity brand speakers for your requirement although it would stretch your budget to 12k-15k with wiring and installation .

Last edited by ampere : 15th July 2019 at 22:42. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
soumen.blore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 11:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
They sounded ok for OEM.
Why do you want to replace components with co-ax?
In my sleepiness, it seems like I typed coax's for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumen.blore View Post
Components for front and coaxials for rear would be better . You can consider focal / infinity brand speakers for your requirement although it would stretch your budget to 12k-15k with wiring and installation .
What components could I go with? Any specific models I should look at?
Old 27th October 2015, 12:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
What components could I go with? Any specific models I should look at?
Some options from Paytm below and they have some cashback offers running . I have not heard them personally but they have got very good reviews .
I have infinity kappa 60.11 cs components and polk coaxials in my duster and they seem to work fine for me as of now .

https://paytm.com/shop/p/focal-integ...W453952F4A7243
https://paytm.com/shop/p/focal-audit...W45395763E5C2C
https://paytm.com/shop/p/polk-audio-...O90753285D053B

For the same price you can check for more options in Infinity/Morel/Helix ,best thing would be if you can get to audition these and select based on your choice . There are many options when it comes to speakers so best would be if you can list the budget for each and then choose the best (sounds best to your ear ) . And i would strongly suggest you to consider a 4 channel amp to get the best out of your speaker upgrade and find a good installer who would use quality wiring .

http://www.purplekart.in/categories/...U00088231.aspx

P.S not commercially involved with them .
soumen.blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 13:37   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'd tried the speakers on the test drive car and they were, pathetic.
I'm very particular about my music and found the Creta's ICE to be satisfactory. By OEM standards, of course. If you are an audiophile like Navin, it's a different matter and he'll spend 6 figures on ICE straight from the showroom. But I don't know how much of an improvement you are going to see by spending merely 10k.

Here's what I suggest. First, get the car, connect it to your music device & tweak the equalizer. Pretty sure you'll like it.

The only problem I had was that the Creta's ICE didn't go as loud as I prefer.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 14:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I found the ICE to be just satisfactory. When compared to my previous car (ecosport), this is not good. The sound seems to be flat and I tried adjusting the equalizer. I might also upgrade the speakers in the coming months and maybe add a decent amp and sub to enhance it. Nothing major, just a small one.

Aditya, do keep us updated. Eagerly waiting for your updates.
Old 27th October 2015, 15:04   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
By OEM standards, of course. If you are an audiophile like Navin, it's a different matter and he'll spend 6 figures on ICE straight from the showroom. But I don't know how much of an improvement you are going to see by spending merely 10k.
I have not heard the Creta's OEM ICE yet hence have refrained from comment. Yes, some of us are more determined to get as good a quality of sound as they can (within reason) on the road. And by this I don't mean loudness but the ability to make the experience and enjoyable one. Typically if one were to retain the OEM HU (for other reasons) then one would start by deconstructing the processing in the OEM HU (external processors are available that do just this) then add the amplifiers and speakers.

Last edited by navin : 27th October 2015 at 15:06.
navin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 16:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm very particular about my music and found the Creta's ICE to be satisfactory. By OEM standards, of course. If you are an audiophile like Navin, it's a different matter and he'll spend 6 figures on ICE straight from the showroom. But I don't know how much of an improvement you are going to see by spending merely 10k.

Here's what I suggest. First, get the car, connect it to your music device & tweak the equalizer. Pretty sure you'll like it.

The only problem I had was that the Creta's ICE didn't go as loud as I prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Even I found the ICE to be just satisfactory. When compared to my previous car (ecosport), this is not good. The sound seems to be flat and I tried adjusting the equalizer. I might also upgrade the speakers in the coming months and maybe add a decent amp and sub to enhance it. Nothing major, just a small one.

Aditya, do keep us updated. Eagerly waiting for your updates.
The problem for me with Creta's OEM Speakers is that they sound tinny. Specially at the higher notes, and even with the volume at middle, I can hear jarring.

I'm not much of a crazy audiophile, but I do like good SQ. Eg. I use Beyerdynamic DT990 Headphones at home with a decent DAC, but the OEM Speakers in my Cruze are satisfactory to me.

Quote:
Some options from Paytm below and they have some cashback offers running . I have not heard them personally but they have got very good reviews .
I have infinity kappa 60.11 cs components and polk coaxials in my duster and they seem to work fine for me as of now .

https://paytm.com/shop/p/focal-integ...W453952F4A7243
https://paytm.com/shop/p/focal-audit...W45395763E5C2C
https://paytm.com/shop/p/polk-audio-...O90753285D053B

For the same price you can check for more options in Infinity/Morel/Helix ,best thing would be if you can get to audition these and select based on your choice . There are many options when it comes to speakers so best would be if you can list the budget for each and then choose the best (sounds best to your ear ) . And i would strongly suggest you to consider a 4 channel amp to get the best out of your speaker upgrade and find a good installer who would use quality wiring .

http://www.purplekart.in/categories/...U00088231.aspx

P.S not commercially involved with them .
I went to Opera House today and figured out that I'll have to extend the budget to about 18k.
They recommended Focal ISS and ISC 165's (which would run me around 12,500), any thoughts on those?
Anything else I could get for around 8-10k, which would be satisfactory?
They also said, on a weaker budget, there is the JBL 650CSI at around 3000 and some 6.5" 2-way coax's for 2000, but again, JBL isn't really one of my preferred brands.

Also, what VFM 4-channel Amp would you guys recommend?
In my budget, they recommended a Sony 4-channel for about 5500, but I'm not so sure about Sony products.

Last edited by Ad1tya : 27th October 2015 at 16:28.
Old 27th October 2015, 17:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The problem for me with Creta's OEM Speakers is that they sound tinny. Specially at the higher notes, and even with the volume at middle, I can hear jarring.

I'm not much of a crazy audiophile, but I do like good SQ. Eg. I use Beyerdynamic DT990 Headphones at home with a decent DAC, but the OEM Speakers in my Cruze are satisfactory to me.

I went to Opera House today and figured out that I'll have to extend the budget to about 18k.
They recommended Focal ISS and ISC 165's (which would run me around 12,500), any thoughts on those?
Anything else I could get for around 8-10k, which would be satisfactory?
They also said, on a weaker budget, there is the JBL 650CSI at around 3000 and some 6.5" 2-way coax's for 2000, but again, JBL isn't really one of my preferred brands.

Also, what VFM 4-channel Amp would you guys recommend?
In my budget, they recommended a Sony 4-channel for about 5500, but I'm not so sure about Sony products.
Focals would be better than JBL . You can try infinity speakers also and do check with another dealer for the price .
Avoid sony amps , you can get similarly priced Amps from JBL . You can also enquire about the prices for Rockford / Cerwin Vega 4 channel amps .
soumen.blore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 23:27   #11
BHPian

I havent heard the sound on this car. Over here I drive a KIA Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon as company car. Being an audio guy the sound was acceptable to me.
Like someone suggested above try to use the car for few weeks, break in the speakers and adjust the settings. I liked it on flat Eq.

After few weeks if you arent happy, then the only way forward should be...

1. Front Components and Rear Coaxials, Focals would do fine.
2. A decent Hi to Low integration unit. Focal would do fine or Audiocontrol with bass control
3. A 5 Channel Amp, Class D small footprint types would work well. (Requires Fully ADJ crossover settings and subwoofer phase control)
4. An 8inch or 10 inch Sub in the boot.

Do not settle for anything less?

By upgrading just the speakers to Focal you wont find much improvement overall. And without the sub those Focal wont perform much better in sub bass frequencies.
general_neo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 09:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Focals would be better than JBL . You can try infinity speakers also and do check with another dealer for the price .
Avoid sony amps , you can get similarly priced Amps from JBL . You can also enquire about the prices for Rockford / Cerwin Vega 4 channel amps .
I'll look for JBL and Rockford Fosgate. Thanks.
Infinity was around the same price as Focal, so let me see if he'll let me listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
I havent heard the sound on this car. Over here I drive a KIA Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon as company car. Being an audio guy the sound was acceptable to me.
Like someone suggested above try to use the car for few weeks, break in the speakers and adjust the settings. I liked it on flat Eq.

After few weeks if you arent happy, then the only way forward should be...

1. Front Components and Rear Coaxials, Focals would do fine.
2. A decent Hi to Low integration unit. Focal would do fine or Audiocontrol with bass control
3. A 5 Channel Amp, Class D small footprint types would work well. (Requires Fully ADJ crossover settings and subwoofer phase control)
4. An 8inch or 10 inch Sub in the boot.

Do not settle for anything less?

By upgrading just the speakers to Focal you wont find much improvement overall. And without the sub those Focal wont perform much better in sub bass frequencies.
My father told me, "no subwoofer!" and I sort of agree with him. The Creta anyway has a smaller than usual boot for the class at 406L. Not much space can be wasted. Let's see if I can convince him to use one like we do in our Innova (removable plug).
Old 28th October 2015, 10:52   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Specially at the higher notes, and even with the volume at middle, I can hear jarring.

Try fiddling with the EQ to boost frequencies in the 100-400hz range and reduce the frequencies below 100 and above 3000hz. For example cut 30hz to -6db or -10db. See the image in post 28 here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ml#post3828843

Last edited by navin : 28th October 2015 at 10:56.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 15:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I'll look for JBL and Rockford Fosgate. Thanks.
Infinity was around the same price as Focal, so let me see if he'll let me listen.

My father told me, "no subwoofer!" and I sort of agree with him. The Creta anyway has a smaller than usual boot for the class at 406L. Not much space can be wasted. Let's see if I can convince him to use one like we do in our Innova (removable plug).
What Navin said really works, but I am not sure if your headunit has a 30hz or 40Hz eq control or even if has EQ. If you have an EQ, you could really spend time to get to a balanced state which can give you satisfaction for a short time. Eventually you will want more especially on Pop or Techno type of music. I mean if you have to do a 9db boost one certain bands clearly itmeans something aint right.

Typically your headunit doesnt have enough power to keep up with the bass and you are clearly able to listen to the issue.

I was suggesting something small and compact. I am not sure if you could get this one in India. All in one solution, an active subwoofer
http://www.focal.com/en/access/468-bomba-bp20.html

Or
This one... You could build a real tiny sub box.
http://www.focal.com/en/expert/336-p...055750154.html
general_neo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 16:05   #15
BHPian

Re: ICE upgrade : Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo View Post
What Navin said really works, but I am not sure if your headunit has a 30hz or 40Hz eq control or even if has EQ. If you have an EQ, you could really spend time to get to a balanced state which can give you satisfaction for a short time. Eventually you will want more especially on Pop or Techno type of music. I mean if you have to do a 9db boost one certain bands clearly itmeans something aint right.

Typically your headunit doesnt have enough power to keep up with the bass and you are clearly able to listen to the issue.

I was suggesting something small and compact. I am not sure if you could get this one in India. All in one solution, an active subwoofer
http://www.focal.com/en/access/468-bomba-bp20.html

Or
This one... You could build a real tiny sub box.
http://www.focal.com/en/expert/336-p...055750154.html
I'm going to audition the Infinity reference series, as most people said they run off the stock HU just fine.
If the sound isn't to my liking, I'll go ahead with Focals + an amp. All will happen tomorrow evening, I'm guessing. Car comes to me in the afternoon.

Most Viewed