Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2008, 14:29   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
People listen, I met Charles recently [Feb 2008]. He is un-educated, and is a dumb fellow who knows nothing about decent installation. he has managed to get some installs done for Cinema fellows, and that is how he is popular. He does a mold-job for custom installs. He must be one of the very few Guys who does Custom Installs, and that does not warranty him to be the best installer.
But he will not listen to you, he says he will do what ever he wants, you spell the budget. He says he wont give you any demo, or you should not speak about any Brand that you like. He will do the needful if you place your order with some 30k or 40k.
He is not educated, neither educated for sound engineering, so all that he will do is trial and error, if it sounds good, he fits it in position!
his idea about car audio is very barbaric, he believes car manufacturers compromise on the placement of speakers, and hence the sound staging is a failure.
Deja-vu ?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...installed.html

Metal-Effects comes highly recommended, however the Innova that was demoed was just plain loud ! The mindset there seems to be that the whole car audio industry was birthed at Metal-Effects ?!?

Chennai may be good at quite a few things, but I don't think car audio is one of them. The good installers (relatively speaking) are just plain haughty, even arrogant, to the point of being rude. The rest couldn't be bothered with the quality of their work. Case in point, the tweeter install in my car which is guaranteed to make children cry and give people nightmares !

If you ask me, if you're burdened with "sensitive" ears, and have the inclination and the resources for high-end audio (again, relatively speaking) - travel west to Bangalore for your install.
Old 25th March 2008, 16:25   #47
BHPian

Said right about MetalEffects but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Deja-vu ?

[url]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gurus/27771-vendor-quote-key-
If you ask me, if you're burdened with "sensitive" ears, and have the inclination and the resources for high-end audio (again, relatively speaking) - travel west to Bangalore for your install.
Rather than doing that! lets find some one who is well educated (not the Schooling) and is eager to get a great job done, and loves his job. There are 100s atleast lets be practical 10 of them who have this attitude, and it's just that we do not know them yet!

Not all of the best men (not just installers) are on TBHP, so lets make it a point we keep hunting for some better installers @ Chennai and bring their good work to limelight and in the process get all Chennai TBHPians get good value for money and a satisfactory Install [and not a Fitting]
Old 25th March 2008, 16:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Rather than doing that! lets find some one who is well educated (not the Schooling) and is eager to get a great job done, and loves his job. There are 100s atleast lets be practical 10 of them who have this attitude, and it's just that we do not know them yet!

Not all of the best men (not just installers) are on TBHP, so lets make it a point we keep hunting for some better installers @ Chennai and bring their good work to limelight and in the process get all Chennai TBHPians get good value for money and a satisfactory Install [and not a Fitting]
I have heard that the Newtone Car radio on the Wallajah road are good and generally don't cheat customers. But again i have only heard. With so many C-Bhpians around i am surprised that we haven't found a good installer yet other than Technokrats and few regularly discussed names.

I was told that GP road is one area where you can get almost everything for a car and i know there are number of car stereo shops there as well . Any experiences with them?
Old 25th March 2008, 17:03   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I was told that GP road is one area where you can get almost everything for a car and i know there are number of car stereo shops there as well . Any experiences with them?

Yep, most of the car accessories business is done there. I know a few shops there, a freind of mine has a shop there, but they are mostly open & close kind of fitters. There are very few who are relatively good & do some actual thinking, but very hard to find.
Old 25th March 2008, 17:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yep, most of the car accessories business is done there. I know a few shops there, a freind of mine has a shop there, but they are mostly open & close kind of fitters. There are very few who are relatively good & do some actual thinking, but very hard to find.
So to summarize we don't have any installers in chennai who do it for passion ( and money of course)

I always felt that the car audio market is still wide open for people to venture into (atleast in chennai) .
Old 25th March 2008, 17:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

what defines a "good" fit?" sound quality - or the overall experience?
I am happy with the system that i got fitted in my car, with boston 6x9 in the back and boston 4" in front, sounds good. im happy.

However, decrying people puerly on the fact that they dont listen to you is in a way, unfair.
Any professional, will not be happy if someone comes by and starts dictating terms. as a customer, you need to respect their knowledge, and draw a line. Yes, you should demand quality because afterall it is your money, however, this does not mean that you dictate processes and procedures.

I have used technocrats services, and i have found them to be extremly professional - they heard my request and since they had the same idea of doing it, it proceded the same wya. However, this was NOT for a sound install but for my fog lamps. All wiring was clamped, and joints conceled well. the clamps were bolted onto the frame and not hte bumper - and most importantly, they handled parts of my car with utmost respect.
I have gotten stuff fixed at radio warehouse- they are good, but as pointed out earlier they Fit what you buy.

Rather than looking for good "installers" one must buy good equipment, well matched, and balanced, and get it fitted. this way, if you are wary of the way the installer works, its your choice of equipment, and you cna dictate terms.

Quote:
they all better be @ Hi-tech Audio Jewels(technokrat)
- i dont think the two are connected. Hi-Tech audio jewels in mahalingapuram is a different entitity. (IIRC) technokrats is just next to the temple towards the kodambakkam bridge.

Last edited by madan80 : 25th March 2008 at 17:26.
Old 25th March 2008, 17:26   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So to summarize we don't have any installers in chennai who do it for passion ( and money of course)

I would say it is something like this.

Quote:
Not all of the best men (not just installers) are on TBHP
Old 25th March 2008, 19:58   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
what defines a "good" fit?" sound quality - or the overall experience?
I am happy with the system that i got fitted in my car, with boston 6x9 in the back and boston 4" in front, sounds good. im happy.

Any professional, will not be happy if someone comes by and starts dictating terms. as a customer, you need to respect their knowledge, and draw a line. Yes, you should demand quality because afterall it is your money, however, this does not mean that you dictate processes and procedures.

I have used technocrats services, and i have found them to be extremly professional - they heard my request and since they had the same idea of doing it, it proceded the same wya. However, this was NOT for a sound install but for my fog lamps. All wiring was clamped, and joints conceled well. the clamps were bolted onto the frame and not hte bumper - and most importantly, they handled parts of my car with utmost respect.

Rather than looking for good "installers" one must buy good equipment, well matched, and balanced, and get it fitted. this way, if you are wary of the way the installer works, its your choice of equipment, and you cna dictate terms.

Well said, Mr. Mission Safari, do you need to read it again?
Old 25th March 2008, 21:16   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post

Well said, Mr. Mission Safari, do you need to read it again?
Mr.Headers , I beg to differ.. You mean to say with good equipments and even if the installer is bad you get desired results?
Old 25th March 2008, 21:33   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr.Headers , I beg to differ.. You mean to say with good equipments and even if the installer is bad you get desired results?
No sir, what i said was - " There are Great Installers in Chennai" PERIOD.
Old 25th March 2008, 21:40   #56
BHPian

Quote:
No sir, what i said was - " There are Great Installers in Chennai" PERIOD.
Sorry, i misinterpreted the whole point. Actually was little confused reading the last section of madan's thread. Do you know what are the likely labor charges if i get the full set of equipments on my own to them?
Old 25th March 2008, 22:21   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, i misinterpreted the whole point. Actually was little confused reading the last section of madan's thread. Do you know what are the likely labor charges if i get the full set of equipments on my own to them?
Sir, What I would recommend is first to define your requirment..audio wise..meaning what kinda music you listen to, what volume levels, what is it that you want from your ICE, etc etc before bringing your equipments.

The reason i say this is that most competent ICE installers could define the equipment for your requirment and then you could maybe get it in.

If we, do it the other way around, the installer does his job and id the effect is not what we desire, we blame him. Are we right in that? Who is more qualified in that..us guys who have a fair knowledge of the ICE stuff or the person who does that as a livelihood and wants to earn his name!

To answer your point, labour charges are generally reasonable for installs..unless one wants 4 amps, 3 subs, etc..
Old 25th March 2008, 22:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Guys, it is actually a mix & match of both. madan60 was talking about his experience of fitting fog lamps which is in no way related to installing audio systems.
There are basically 2 kinds of ICE installers. Both can only work within your budget. Some will give more quantity & some will give more quality & then there are the others who will give gyan, but no result.
It depends on what you want, the installer may have lots of options, but if he does not understand your taste, he cannot help you even if he is from mumbai/bangalore or wherever else.
Some folks are in cloud 9 just having a simple Sony MP3 player (or even a cassette player) & a pair of Sony ovals at the rear. He is actually more happier than the next guy who installed 1.5L worth of ICE without telling the installer what he really likes to have in his car.
I do not have any personal experience with technokrat, but i will take vikram's word for it.
Whoever is the installer, do not let him bully you into what he wants to put in your car with your money, why don't you stamp your foot and say this is what i want, please do a neat install. A neat install is the key here, which is what i have found wanting here in chennai not the choice of equipment. Hope i have not bored anyone.
Old 25th March 2008, 22:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, What I would recommend is first to define your requirment..audio wise..meaning what kinda music you listen to, what volume levels, what is it that you want from your ICE, etc etc before bringing your equipments.

The reason i say this is that most competent ICE installers could define the equipment for your requirment and then you could maybe get it in.

If we, do it the other way around, the installer does his job and id the effect is not what we desire, we blame him. Are we right in that? Who is more qualified in that..us guys who have a fair knowledge of the ICE stuff or the person who does that as a livelihood and wants to earn his name!

To answer your point, labour charges are generally reasonable for installs..unless one wants 4 amps, 3 subs, etc..

Point taken. I will definitely get more inputs from people like you when i get my new safari (hopefully in the next few months) . Thanks
Old 25th March 2008, 22:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will definitely get more inputs from people like you when i get my new safari (hopefully in the next few months) . Thanks
So you are still on the mission. Hoping to see you guys in the flesh with or without the safari. Meet fellow BHPians to understand more about what they talk.
cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks