Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 16:53   #1
BHPian

Well I had posted a while back asking about Sony PSP mounts, but didnt get a response - for PSP owners interested in taking your PSP on the road, there are great ones from Arkon.

http://www.arkon.com/pspmount.php

I bought the VG928 Dash mount for the PSP from their site. Got delivered in a week and works great. The adhesive mount is extremely strong so no screws necessary and the multi angle tilt works beautifully, with a lock at every twist to keep it steady. My Sony aux tray has a wire that plugs in to the headphone out of the PSP, so some great sound as well, and movies and gaming on the move! (not for me while driving, for obvious safety reasons, but great for passengers and rush hour traffic)

Old 12th September 2006, 17:30   #2
kdb
BHPian

Man Thats coool !!

i was planning to get the JBL speaker doc for my PSP but now i feel i should get this and put it in my Fiesta

BTW which kind of audio cable is this .. can u upload the pic of the cable too...
Old 12th September 2006, 17:30   #3
BANNED

Nice install! Congratulations.
But the Aux wire is an eyesore.

BTW, the PSP in this location can distract driver's attention and believe me, It can be disastrous. I've got 2 LCD screens in my Alto and a PS2 with 2 controllers mated to the audio system as well. But it's all for backseat passengers only. I've tried fixing an LCD screen on the front and keeping it focussed on the passenger side, but it did distract me sometimes and I was plain lucky not to be in trouble.
So, reconsider of keeping the thing on with any movies playing in that location while driving. It'll be ok if the thingy is in the hands of the passenger. (Ask JKdas how much fun is it to have a video in lap)!!!
Old 12th September 2006, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Its the audio that might distract the driver. If the passenger uses headphones, then the driver might not even notice....
Old 12th September 2006, 18:31   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
Its the audio that might distract the driver. If the passenger uses headphones, then the driver might not even notice....
I disagree. I've got more distracted by Video than Audio. Audio wont distract a driver's eyes! will it??
Old 12th September 2006, 21:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

I too am more distracted by video. Even in when I use my rear head rest screen I used headphones do as not to distract the driver during DVDs. Music is an expected noise but voices and special effects can reall confuse a driver as well.

In short never use video in the front seat
When using video in the rear use headphones esp for movies having special effects and human voice.
Old 12th September 2006, 22:19   #7
BHPian

hey skiddyrow,looks really cool-but do something about the aux wire!!

now that i have liked what i seen,i am planning to install my psp in my car too.but hey guys,is it a bad idea?i mean will it be dangerous?
Old 12th September 2006, 23:30   #8
BHPian

thanks for the comments guys - yes I need to do something about the wire. the wire is from the sony aux tray (i got this from MGA, and its great for ipods as you can plug in and place the ipod in the tray and close it). I'm considering running the aux from the head unit to a female headphone socket just below the psp - but will have to wire this throiugh the ac ducts - any suggestions on this?

Regarding the video, as I mentioned, it is a multi angle mount and it is angled much more than in the picture (i turned it more towards the centre for the photograph) and is visible only to the passenger, so it doesnt distract me while driving (the wife loves it though!). The audio again doesnt distract me - probably as much as an audio CD playing. again, there are a set of headphones in the car so at any time I can detach it and hand it over to the person who wants to watch / play
Old 13th September 2006, 06:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a very simple fix and play job.

What abt getting two addon screens for rear passenger? Can be done kya?
Old 13th September 2006, 14:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

[quote=carfreak]hey skiddyrow,looks really cool-but do something about the aux wire!!

now that i have liked what i seen,i am planning to install my psp in my car too.but hey guys,is it a bad idea?i mean
Quote:
will it be dangerous?[/
quote]

i have had no distractions so far in my esteem ( i have put 7" in the dash). first, do not use it when you think you are likely to be distracted. second, keep your eyes always on the road, unless you are stuck in a junction or a jam. then it makes for good time pass, while all the other guys go honk honk in frustration, you could be bay watching or watching Jim Morrison sing ROLL BABY ROLL. LOL

Last edited by esteem_lover : 13th September 2006 at 14:36.
Old 13th September 2006, 15:36   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover

i have had no distractions so far in my esteem ( i have put 7" in the dash). first, do not use it when you think you are likely to be distracted. second, keep your eyes always on the road, unless you are stuck in a junction or a jam. then it makes for good time pass, while all the other guys go honk honk in frustration, you could be bay watching or watching Jim Morrison sing ROLL BABY ROLL. LOL
Hey, esteemguy! That's something you wont be able to do very easily.
Take the advice from Navin who has pretty much passed thru all these stages. Video in the front seat is dangerous and especially if it plays while the car is moving. And it's also illegal to have a movie screen on in the view of driver while driving.

even the new generation S-class's movie screen will only work when the car's parking brakes are on. And that's probably the best car you can have a crash in.
Old 13th September 2006, 17:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Hey, esteemguy! That's something you wont be able to do very easily.
Take the advice from Navin who has pretty much passed thru all these stages. Video in the front seat is dangerous and especially if it plays while the car is moving. And it's also illegal to have a movie screen on in the view of driver while driving.

Quote:
even the new generation S-class's movie screen will only work when the car's parking brakes are on.
And that's probably the best car you can have a crash in.
didn't i say that my car was parked when i was baywatching ?

speed, i am not saying that you can watch videos while you drive, no sane person could do that. i am just saying that you need not neccesarily be using it on the move. it helps a great deal when you are stuck in traffic like it happens here & in other big cities.
what i normally do is play music videos & listen to the songs, they sound great in DVD format & when i reach a signal where there is more than 30 secs, i switch on the LCD & switch it right back when i gotto go, just like the merc, only the wiring is not done like that. will do that in future.
Old 18th April 2010, 01:01   #13
BHPian

hey even I am planning to attach PSP to my ESTEEM , can you please tell from where can i get that psp stand or holder in NEW DELHI ??
and is there anyway i can fix it somewhere neer the head unit like the touchscreen are fit ??

EDIT: Now done. See here : Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th April 2010 at 16:49. Reason: Added link to your new thread.

Most Viewed