Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2016, 11:49   #106

Re: Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo

This is my first post in t-bhp. Became a proud owner of a Polo GT TSI in May this month.
Car has completed 7k kms till now and we have made some amazing memories on the way.

I had an issue with the car infotainment system that I wanted advise on.

I have an Ipod Classic 160GB. I have been trying to conmect this to the stock infotainment system through the USB port. But the system does not recognize the ipod.
Using the aux is an option but the sound quality reduces significantly through the aux. have visited SVC as well with this problem but they have no clue on the resolution.

Any suggestions on how to make the iPod classic work vis USB? This is a new classic Ipod I have got post replacement from Apple of the old one.
Old 2nd September 2016, 11:52   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot_tsi View Post
This is my first post in t-bhp. Became a proud owner of a Polo GT TSI in May this month.

Car has completed 7k kms till now and we have made some amazing memories on the way.

I had an issue with the car infotainment system that I wanted advise on.

I have an Ipod Classic 160GB. I have been trying to conmect this to the stock infotainment system through the USB port. But the system does not recognize the ipod.

Using the aux is an option but the sound quality reduces significantly through the aux. have visited SVC as well with this problem but they have no clue on the resolution.

Any suggestions on how to make the iPod classic work vis USB? This is a new classic Ipod I have got post replacement from Apple of the old one.

Have you tried connecting it using original USB connector? Sometimes it doesn't recognise Apple devices if it's not original. For compatibility check you can refer user manual for the same.
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:29   #108
BHPian

Upgraded the RCD320 in my Polo with this:
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-img_3559.jpg

I was on the lookout to upgrade the HU(since long) with a very basic set of requirements like phone book integration, initiate call from the HU without using the phone, know who's calling me (RCD320 shows just the phone number even if the contact is saved in your phone), reverse cam support etc. RCD330G does all these and some more. Was happy to find someone near my place who was selling this HU from his Vento. He also had the quadlock connector and the reverse camera AV cable with him. So we did a trial on my car, agreed on a price and got it installed. I haven't installed the reverse camera yet.

The reason for choosing this HU over the other more feature loaded ones was primarily due to my limited budget. My requirements were minimal too and I did not want to spend too much for the upgrade. I also wanted to keep VW OE components as far as possible as I felt it gives the dealer one less chance of voiding a warranty claim. From my research I found out that the overall user experience was best in the OE HUs. It may lack features, but whatever features are available will work flawlessly. Lastly, I was using a Mirrorlink compatible phone (HTC One M8 Eye), so that was another reason to go with this HU. There are few restrictions on it's working though.

Most of the options in this HU has been detailed by Rajeevraj, so I will try not to repeat. Let the pics do the talking:

The dialpad:
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-img_3560.jpg

Home screen of Phone:
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-img_3563.jpg
Shows info related to the phone. We can set four favorite numbers for quick dialing. The bottom row of buttons include Mirrorlink, dialpad, contact list, call logs, messages, voice dialing & settings. The call logs & messages icon will also show the number of missed calls & unread messages.

Selecting the Mirrorlink option will load this screen:
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-img_3575.jpg

Mirrorlink works well with the phone although there are few restrictions. The phone's screen should be ON for the HU to show the contents. Also, it doesn't work if the car's speed crosses 10km/h. I have a feeling that we might be able to remove this speed restriction using VCDS beacuse I had used Mirrorlink in bhpian aswin ajith's Pioneer HU at all speeds and it worked pretty well. Looks like a restriction on the HU done by VW. Need to do some research on this.

Was able to do pretty much everything that I do on the phone using the HU. Use Google navigation, play videos, view images etc.
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-pjimage.jpg

HTC also has a built-in Car mode (2nd option in Mirrorlink home screen):
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-pjimage-2.jpg

And, if you remove the key when the phone is connected to the HU, it shows this message:
Review: RCD 330G. VW's 2016 Head-Unit for the Polo, Vento & Ameo-img_3583.jpg

Overall, I feel this is a worthy upgrade and feel sad for not having used this from day one. The BT call clarity seems to be improved. Earlier, I used to speak a lot louder for the person at the other end to hear properly, but not anymore. I'm no audiophile and felt the sound quality more or less remains the same. Would wholeheartedly recommend this HU.

P.S.: We had to input the ant-theft lock code which was prompted when it was first connected.

P.P.S.: This particular unit is made in India by Harman.

Last edited by BigBrad : 3rd September 2016 at 22:34.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 22:47   #109
BHPian

Gurus, I have a Bosch RCD510 in my Passat (Plug and Play upgrade from RCD310). I want to upgrade/ downgrade to RCD330G for the reasons mentioned:

1. In Dash Bluetooth support (Requires extra module with RCD510 that i dont have)
2. RVC support (My RCD510 does not have this)
3. Mirrorlink for GPS (Again not present)

RCD510 has a 6 CD changer that I dont use. I have been using SD card for music till date, but feel bluetooth is much smoother and better.

I have none of these features on the Passat right now and think RCD330G would be a worthy swap.

Q1: Will it be plug and play or will I require some extra connectors.

Q2: RVC camera! Does the Canbus control the functioning of this or the reversing light?

Q3: Will it support the 10 speakers that I have in my car? I mean will the sound quality be as good.

PS: If this goes as expected, My RCD510 will be available to any BHPian who needs it.
Thanks!

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 3rd September 2016 at 22:50.
Old 4th September 2016, 13:11   #110
BHPian

Iam not able to understand this mirror link thing one bit. How in the world are you guys able to access full phone apps (actual phone screen ) on your HU through mirrorlink? I have a samsung a5 2016 version with car mode pre installed from samsung. All iam able to access through mirro link is the car mode screen through which iam able to access rockscout and glympse which i installed from googleplay. Iam not able to access the actual phone screen through mirror link. Please advice as I am going mad trying understand the whole set up.

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 4th September 2016 at 13:12.
Old 4th September 2016, 14:57   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Iam not able to understand this mirror link thing one bit. How in the world are you guys able to access full phone apps (actual phone screen ) on your HU through mirrorlink? I have a samsung a5 2016 version with car mode pre installed from samsung. All iam able to access through mirro link is the car mode screen through which iam able to access rockscout and glympse which i installed from googleplay. Iam not able to access the actual phone screen through mirror link. Please advice as I am going mad trying understand the whole set up.
I have a Samsung S6 edge+ and i have the same issue.

Apparently, Xperia 3 and HTC M8 are creating a home button via which these guys are able to get to the home screen of the phone and then access all the apps. I'm so jealous of you guys.

Anybody know how to achieve this with a samsung phone? I'm ok to rooting the device if required.

Last edited by nova9 : 4th September 2016 at 14:59. Reason: typo
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2016, 15:09   #112
BHPian

Install button savior on your phone from google play and try your luck. There is this small icon pops up along the sides when you open apps through mirrorlink, try your luck clicking on the home screen/ back button on it. However, i could see my full phone screen for almost a second, but it goes to normal mirrolink screen after doing so. I couldn't figure out why its not working for me.
Old 4th September 2016, 17:23   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Install button savior on your phone from google play and try your luck. There is this small icon pops up along the sides when you open apps through mirrorlink, try your luck clicking on the home screen/ back button on it. However, i could see my full phone screen for almost a second, but it goes to normal mirrolink screen after doing so. I couldn't figure out why its not working for me.

I tried installing "car mode" from the samsung galaxy apps. It was supposedly created by Samsung to work with Mirrorlink and in the mirrorlink setting in the phone shows up as a mirror link approved app, but when when i connect the phone to the HU. Only Sygic shows up ( sygic is another mirrolink approved app)
Old 8th September 2016, 00:31   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
Hi maddyguage,

Were you charged customs duty on this package?

Regards.
Old 8th September 2016, 01:21   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi maddyguage,

Were you charged customs duty on this package?

Regards.

No. The seller declared value of goods as $35 only. So thankfully no customs hassle.
maddyguage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2016, 17:08   #116
BHPian

What would be an ideal upgrade from RCD 330G in terms of SQ and additional features without voiding warranty?

Car in context is Polo GT TSI.
Old 13th September 2016, 18:31   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
What would be an ideal upgrade from RCD 330G in terms of SQ and additional features without voiding warranty?

Car in context is Polo GT TSI.
Check out the DS611 or DS811 from AudioSources. I just installed DS611 in my Polo GT TSi. Details of this HU may be found in the below thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-en...lo-gt-tsi.html
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 11:51   #118
Team-BHP Support

Friends who got MirrorLink to work, I have a question. When you have MirrorLink working, how does the media player behave? For example, if you have a song playing from the SD card or USB, and you open MirrorLink and use Google Maps, does the song keep playing in the background while Google Maps does navigation?
Old 15th September 2016, 12:21   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Friends who got MirrorLink to work, I have a question. When you have MirrorLink working, how does the media player behave? For example, if you have a song playing from the SD card or USB, and you open MirrorLink and use Google Maps, does the song keep playing in the background while Google Maps does navigation?
No, it doesn't. Once the Mirrorlink connection is established, music from USB stops playing. I'm not sure about other media sources though, need to check that.

However, you can simultaneously play music from phone using the Mirrorlink connection (Music app in Mirrorlink home screen) while using Google maps navigation. The music pauses when the voice navigation is played through the car's speakers and resumes when the voice navigation stops.

This behavior could be specific to only RCD 330G.
Old 15th September 2016, 13:28   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
No, it doesn't. Once the Mirrorlink connection is established, music from USB stops playing. I'm not sure about other media sources though, need to check that.

However, you can simultaneously play music from phone using the Mirrorlink connection (Music app in Mirrorlink home screen) while using Google maps navigation. The music pauses when the voice navigation is played through the car's speakers and resumes when the voice navigation stops.

This behavior could be specific to only RCD 330G.
Thanks for the info. Even my DS611 HU behaves the same way. The music stops while playing from SD, if phone mirroring is enabled. I have not tried to play music from the phone. Will try this. If this works, then I think playing music from the phone is the only way to play music and have google maps at the same time.

Most Viewed